Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
snozzau
Starter Motor

Default Rough Idle

Guys,
I have a very annoying problem with the idle on my XR6.
Sometimes it will idle as smooth as silk where other times it seems to rev up and
die down.
I have changed plugs & leads ,cleaned the injectors,changed the air filter,cleaned the throttle body and IAC.
Had a look at the fuel filter but it looks new.
After reading private9 post about oxygen sensors I will probably change that too but I dont think that will help my idle problems.
Ideas ???????
Scott

snozzau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could try the throttle postion sensor

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
snozzau
Starter Motor

Whereabouts is it and any idea how much to replace?
Scott
snozzau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looking at the car from the front, it sits on the side i guess of the throttle body, about 90 degrees around from the ISC valve, looking from the front, it's on the front i guess you could say...it's a black unit with a wire hanging out of it...no idea on price tho, sorry
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
wesomc

could check for air leaks...inlet manifold gasket, etc. use some aerosol (carby cleaner is good) and spray around the gasket and see if this alters the idle
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carby cleaner is expesnive... just mix soap and water and use a sponge to sponge it on and if it bubbles then you know u have an air leak

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Old 21-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
wesomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
carby cleaner is expesnive... just mix soap and water and use a sponge to sponge it on and if it bubbles then you know u have an air leak
won't bubble, it sucks in air and leans out, but i suppose it wouldn't run well on soapy water either lol! carby cleaner is cheap when work pays for it...
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
You need a can for ISC cleaning anyway! LOL! Try that with soap and water!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry guys, i just read air leak and didn't think that it would be sucking air in...stupid me