Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default Bp Fuel ? Why So Expensive ????

anyone know why BP is so expensive . i have a bp fuel card which i have to use for my car . they are between 5 and 25 cents per litre dearer than every other servo .
does anyone know why . they dont even come up on fuelwatch sites . obviously because of the obvious . they are way dearer .
NOT HAPPY .

Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Not always they're not.

They charge the same as everyone else here.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

every servo here is the same too give or take a cent. Except the odd day you get one rogue servo that wants to be 5c cheaper than everyone else

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

nsw BP is always dearer and the 1st to sky rocket an increase by upto 20c/litre in one hit .
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
BOSHOG
avenge me

the best way to stop this happening is to go elsewhere

if its a company car who really cares? unless youre the boss...... then ya can go elsewhere
Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
the best way to stop this happening is to go elsewhere

if its a company car who really cares? unless youre the boss...... then ya can go elsewhere
hmmmm it's not free . i'm leasing the car out of my salary . and that means i pay for everything . have a fuel allowance which i pay for at pump prices , and i can only use the BP fuel card that i have been given .
last week was my 1st fill . @$1.20 L E10 BP dont have regular 91. thought that was great till i noticed everyother servo at around 1.12 some as low as 1.06.
today i was going to fill and noticed BP E10 up to $1.32 and 5 OTHER SERVOS SELLING NOW AT $1.12 I could get premium 98 AT ONE OF THESE FOR $1.29c

thats 20c / L say 60 litres $12 per fill which means about $18 per week extra for me or $900 pa over three years = $2700 that would take a fair chunk off my residual payout if i could save that money.

Last edited by gtfpv; 04-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Find a BP that is very close to another servo. My local BP in Baulko has a Caltex/Woolies across the road and the prices are always comparable.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

i can actually pay extra and receive a multi card allowing choice . i think it costs about $4 p/w extra for that card .
however my point is .
why is BP SO DEAR . ???
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
Find a BP that is very close to another servo. My local BP in Baulko has a Caltex/Woolies across the road and the prices are always comparable.
THANKS . I'LL try that . i know where there is one across the road from a 7- 11.
i'll have a look . ta.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My local BP is the cheapest out of 6 service stations in the area.

Have always been as well. I have a Mobil 500m up the road and they are the dearest, they charge 22c/l extra for 98 over 91 :

I fuelled my car yesterday with 98 at BP 122.9c/l
Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Xr8uteRay
lolhsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
My local BP is the cheapest out of 6 service stations in the area.

Have always been as well. I have a Mobil 500m up the road and they are the dearest, they charge 22c/l extra for 98 over 91 :

I fuelled my car yesterday with 98 at BP 122.9c/l
lol i filled mine today at the BP for $1.38/L and thats a cheap day. On a saturday or sunday i expect to pay about $1.46/L. Normally I go to Shell though. Price difference here between 98 and 91 is around 15c per litre.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I've noticed the same around here, BP is always dearer, sometimes as much as 20c +.
There is a BP next to a Caltex here and the BP is usually a few cents more expensive then servo's in the surrounding suburbs, and as a result the Caltex is more expensive aswell.
Whether its just coincidence or what, I dont know.
Either way I just dont use them.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go to BP because it's usually cheaper. But that's for diesel and LPG mind you.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Obviously you need to find a different BP. I usually end up in a BP because they're cheaper than the rest around my area. I think you've found the 1 BP in the country that's 25c more than everyone else. I wouldn't worry though, if they're that far above other servos, it won't stay in business too long.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its hard to know who is the cheapest all the time, i know i play a game with about 4 servo's in my area, which all vary in prices. One day bp would be cheaper the next week it will be caltex

I think they play the game as much as we do, but in general i find the ones with the loyalty cards are 1-2cents per litre more than the ones without the card.

I have no loyalty card or fuel card unless i can claim it on a business

4cents per litre when you spend more than 40 bucks or whatever it is, is a crock of ...it

i have a solution, make our own fuel, like bio diesel
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
1TUFXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try paying $1.48/L that happened to me this morning at my local BP in Manly!!!

Quit your whinging.. some are worse off...lol
Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
today i was going to fill and noticed BP E10 up to $1.32 and 5 OTHER SERVOS SELLING NOW AT $1.12 I could get premium 98 AT ONE OF THESE FOR $1.29c
This is just the regular pricing cycle you are seeing. Petrol used to generally go up 12-20c on a Wed morning, but it seems as of about 2-3 moths ago that has now changed to Thur.

I filled up yesterday at 115cpl, this morning the same servo was still at 115. Went towards the city for dinner and a drink tonight with the better half, drove home and saw prices still hovering around the 112-116cpl.

The servo close to my place (that I used yesterday) was now at 132cpl for regular. E10 was 129.9

There is no set time for the price hike. Some do it before evening peak and other wait till the morning.

If you can, do a drive by of those servo's you quoted as being 112cpl tomorrow. I would be very surprised if they were still 112. I would expect 127-131cpl.

Perhaps BP generally are a fraction more (not including the pricing cycle).. don't shop there myself. If you want cheaper juice try and find one that isn't out of your regular commute that is near a few other petrol stations.. they generally try and match each others prices to be competitive.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #18
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

In my opinion, they can have the premium they charge:

1) Most stable and consistent fuel across batches
2) Never had a bad batch or dodgy fill
3) Never had any performance issues
4) Often preferred fuel for tuners due to stability
5) Cars always run the best on it, economy, power response etc

Shell is dirty rubbish, mobil use ultimate and caltex is inconsistent. Some batches of Caltex seem "perkier" than others and the economy isn't as good.

Even if it's 20 cents per litre dearer, .20 x 60 litres, $12, get over it. That's the utmost worst case scenario. Pack of smokes, 3 beers....

As for the 4 cents per litre fuel docket, well, .04 x 60 litres, you saved $2.40 after spending over $30.. Sucked in and spat out.

For those on novated leases, if you're complaining you really need to think... You're getting fuel GST free, reduced corporate rate due to fuel card and paying pre-tax which nets an even highier return on your dollar. If you aren't getting those benefits as part of the novated package then you didn't do your homework suffeciently!!!!

E.G. $1.48 per litre of ultimate normal sale, under a proper novated package should be charged to you (pre tax, no gst, bulk rate keeping in mind) at $1.29 ish...

Arguing over $10 dollars or so for a premium product, and then double dipping the whinge when you're so far ahead under novated leasing?
Sorry but that really is whinging tight a$$$ material.

Go and get a diesel car and make your own bio diesel....

Buy a bike or think about the local truckie paying $400 for tank of diesel...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com

Last edited by Bluehoon; 04-02-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

most of you blokes are not from nsw.
in syd BP is the dearest and Mobil is the cheapest normaly cheaper than liberty, dc's, others.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #20
MAV50L
Banned

The BP near my place is always dearer then anyone else.
They have a total fuel depot opposite and it doesnt affect the price at all.
Check out to see if there is a total fuel service station near you. They only change price once per week , on a Wednesday as a rule. They use Caltex fuels and their cards but.
I use our local total fuel all the time. Even if one time they are a couple of cents dearer if there is a local price war going on. I will support them as I have well and truely saved that couple of cents over the last 6 weeks when they have been lower all week.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
SKITZD

I actually asked the chick at BP today why the fuel was so expensive.. Her explanation was "BP will not undercut themselves just to compete with their competitors"
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #22
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yeah I noticed this too. when there is a fuel price increase, they always put there fuel prices up a day before everyone elses. Sometimes there is almost a 10c difference on normal unleaded for a day.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #23
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

From home to work there are 4 BP servos - 3 are cheap, one is hell expensive. Guess which one is independently owned and looks like it too.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You all must live on another planet.

BP is ALWAYS more expensive than any other servo in the area.
Never seen it cheaper in my life.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Why not just get a motorcharge card.. its only $4 per month to have one!! Then u can fuel up anywhere, my biggest problem is there arent BP everywhere anymore and sometimes you have to go off the beaten track to find one, and if you only have a BP card you can get caught out..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 AM   #26
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I find my local BP to be more expensive than most local servos and their usually the first to raise their price at the beginning of a new cycle but as Bluehoon has said, IMO they seem to offer the most stable and higher quality fuels so I cop the pricing. I'm fortunate enough to be able to pick when to fuel up with the XR4 so I try to time it for a Thursday morning fill to beat the cycle.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #27
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
In my opinion, they can have the premium they charge:

1) Most stable and consistent fuel across batches
2) Never had a bad batch or dodgy fill
3) Never had any performance issues
4) Often preferred fuel for tuners due to stability
5) Cars always run the best on it, economy, power response etc

Shell is dirty rubbish, mobil use ultimate and caltex is inconsistent. Some batches of Caltex seem "perkier" than others and the economy isn't as good.
Ha,

You will find that both Shell and Caltex have tighter regulations regarding contamination then BP, also all 3 tend to fluctuate hourly on the octane rating being expelled from the pits.

Fuel is made to a specific standard which is all government regulated. (ie a base level as its all hydrocarbons in the end) they cannot go below this threshold, however they are allowed to go above it, every refinery in Australia abides by the government laws.

Also one of the reasons why there is such a price leap between BP and the others is purely that the volumes between them is vastly different (compared to shell and caltex)
Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #28
james22
With da Warlords

If you think it's dear in sydney, you should try orange out. Paid $1.48 for 98 the other day, and that was cheap. Last week it was $1.52

But the Bp up here is always comparable to the others- Shell, caltex, etc

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)

Last edited by james22; 05-02-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: oops
Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
If you think it's dear in sydney, you should try orange out. Paid $1.48 for 98 the other day, and that was cheap. Last week it was $1.52

But the Bp up here is always comparable to the others- Shell, caltex, etc
Its around the same price here as well (1.46 i think i paid this week)
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #30
Davebro

I found it funny in Aus when I was in Sydney for 3 months last year for work, that the petrol increases in price as it gets closer to the weekend....

In NZ, its constant all week, the only time it changes is when the petrol companies add/subtract from the price, then its constant until the next change.

But when you do the exchange rate math, its cheaper in Aus than in NZ. Currently 91 is around 1.75 per l, and 98 is around 1.89ish per l. Thats NZ$ so converted to Aus$ its round 1.50 per litre.