Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ethanol Fuel. How Safe ???

There is a lot of talk of ethanol fuel. But how safe is it in Ford vehicles ???
The E10 fuel eats the plastic wiring on Landrover Discoveries. What does it do to other cars. ? Sunday Mail 18/09/2005 page 66.
Despite what Howard says, I won't be using it.
Any Ford people on FF, who can give an honest answer ???? :

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Update: Friday, September 23, 2005. 6:29am (AEST)

Manufacturers warn ethanol fuel blends will damage cars. (File photograph) (ABC)

Car makers speak out against Govt's ethanol plan
Car manufacturers are unhappy the Federal Government has not accepted their proposed cap on the level of ethanol in petrol.

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday unveiled new measures to promote fuels with up to 10 per cent ethanol, describing a scare campaign about engine damage as unjustified.

But the motor vehicle lobby has issued a new warning claiming ethanol blended fuel has the potential to damage cars.

Mr Howard says his task force is confident all new cars will be able to use this upper limit without problems, with very few exceptions.

But Federated Chamber of Automotive Industries spokesman Peter Sturrock says some new models, and many older ones, could have problems.

"It can effect the operatability [sic] of the vehicle, it can effect the fuel lines and deteriorate the fuel lines," he said.

"In a new vehicle, it may well effect the performance of the vehicle and could effect the vehicle's new car warranty."

Mr Sturrock is disappointed the Government has not accepted the request by car makers for a 5 per cent cap.

He is advising motorists to check with their manufacturer on which blend to use.

He says the 5 per cent cap that manufacturers wanted would have resulted in a smoother process.

"The Government has chosen to go to the higher limit against our suggestion and recommendation, and that will cause confusion," he said.

"It will create er some uncertainty in the marketplace and we feel that will be unnecessary and it's, if you like, a disappointing step."

Print Email
Old 23-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
jmc-007

Im sure holden sells E85 cars to brazil. Nothing stopping them selling Ethanol Commodores here.

But on the other hand. You have to see the closed door business between oil and car companies.

More Ethanol less profit for the Oil Fellas
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I've read the countless debates here about ethanol and it seems that up to 10% ethanol mix into the fuel is quite OK according to members of the site.

I haven't used it myself.
Old 23-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Had a discussion not long ago; Anyone tried the Petrol with Ethanol fuel?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
drphil

Wats the difference? they'll still charge $1.30 or more with or without the ethanol, they want their profit and that will mean more for govt. if ethanol is used.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

If the govt want us to swap to a ethanol blend, then why is it not cheaper, especially when we might be risking damage to our pride and joy.
Show me evidence that it will not damage my car, provide same performance and economy and I will think about it. Until then I am sticking to dinosaur blood.
I can't believe they want us to pay same price for something that they admit may give less performance and increased consumption, they need to wake up.
Old 23-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Have a read of the provided link.

The blended fuel is slightly cheaper with a higher octane rating.

The United fuel stations have reported booming business since they started supplying two versions of E10 fuel, and so far no reports of engine or fuel system failures.

Is there any garantees against engine damage with fuel saving products such as Vaporate, etc?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 23-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

BP E10 (the only blended I have seen in QLD)is the same price as ULP and states on the sign that there may be an increase in consumption, yeah that is attractive.

As for engine damage from vaporate, yes there is a guarantee, from vaporate.
Old 23-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Kryton

i also read today that if the E5-E10 goes ahead, petrol retailers do NOT need to display a sign to say that their fuel has ethanol.
my problem with this is that the retailer can charge full price still because they can just say that its normal fuel.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

They are using E85 in the states safely. Theres no reason it cant be made to work here. Its not like we have a choice if we want to keep muscle cars. Until someone can give me a carbie that works on tap water. Only thing holding us back is FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Instead of some common sense and decent engineering.

I use E10 here in adelaide from Saff, and no complaints, and gives me similar milage to BP Ultimate in the Ute. Its also 5 cents cheaper a litre.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
CruizinEB
Banned

you guys do realise that to use ethanol fuel there needs to be some major motor mods?
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUIZIN EB
you guys do realise that to use ethanol fuel there needs to be some major motor mods?
Gee no never realized that. Im carving myself a fuel tank out of wood, that should be fine right? :yeees:

Considering how many different cars are out there, and how many different substances are exposed to the fuel, there is no "All cars need major mods to run ethanol" claim. Some cars will require major mods. Some cars will require none.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUIZIN EB
Can you tell us the "major mods". Now please!
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 23-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Latest Street machine magazine dynos an LS2 with normal 98ron and then with the new boost 98 ethanol, results were 322rwhp on conventional 98 unleaded, and 331 with the ethanol added boost 98.
After some fine tuning to match the respective fuels they got 348hp with unleaded and 365 with boost, so aside from any possible damage from corrosion, there shoud be no power loss.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I have used in the last 3 months is E10, and I like it. The first tank full I got the car ran quite ruff but the second tank show a massive improvment to a point that I decided that I was not going to use pulp or 98. My car has responded realy well to E10 and my wife is now using it in her Camry and again the first tank made the car run ruff but after that it was great....

The other reason I like using the E10, It that the oil companys get less of my money. It's cleaner and cheaper..

I would love to see E85 introduced into Australia.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 23-09-2005 at 07:06 PM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

This will solve the ethanol/oil fuel debate!

edit: I'll use whatever fuel is cheapest. If we get ethanol in the country one day (maybe 2015?) then I'll use that. If it's cheaper :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
CruizinEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Can you tell us the "major mods". Now please!
My mechanic said you would need to change all the seats and seals in other words every thing the fuel touches or you motor will be stuffed in 6 months.
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Latest Street machine magazine dynos an LS2 with normal 98ron and then with the new boost 98 ethanol, results were 322rwhp on conventional 98 unleaded, and 331 with the ethanol added boost 98.
After some fine tuning to match the respective fuels they got 348hp with unleaded and 365 with boost, so aside from any possible damage from corrosion, there shoud be no power loss.
Not bad. I think all the doubting Thomas's should try the stuff then give us a report. Just remember It takes 2 tank to get the benifets. The first tank cleans your fuel system and all the sludge that has built up will end up going through the engine and out the exhaust.

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 23-09-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 23-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #20
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil
Wats the difference? they'll still charge $1.30 or more with or without the ethanol, they want their profit and that will mean more for govt. if ethanol is used.
Dear DrPhil and other members,

There is but one reason why the government is going to shove Ethanol down our throats ( and by law soon enough in all petrol ) and that is the completely stuffed sugar cane farming industry.

The hope being it will get them out of the governments wallet.

That is also why it will still cost you just as much, it's not at all about saving us a dollar, it's about saving the government a dollar.
Old 23-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mon Jul 18, 8:53 AM ET

ALBANY, N.Y. - Farmers, businesses and state officials are investing millions of dollars in ethanol and biofuel plants as renewable energy sources, but a new study says the alternative fuels burn more energy than they produce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Supporters of ethanol and other biofuels contend they burn cleaner than fossil fuels, reduce U.S. dependence on oil and give farmers another market to sell their produce.

But researchers at Cornell University and the University of California-Berkeley say it takes 29 percent more fossil energy to turn corn into ethanol than the amount of fuel the process produces. For switch grass, a warm weather perennial grass found in the Great Plains and eastern North America United States, it takes 45 percent more energy and for wood, 57 percent.

It takes 27 percent more energy to turn soybeans into biodiesel fuel and more than double the energy produced is needed to do the same to sunflower plants, the study found.

"Ethanol production in the United States does not benefit the nation's energy security, its agriculture, the economy, or the environment," according to the study by Cornell's David Pimentel and Berkeley's Tad Patzek. They conclude the country would be better off investing in solar, wind and hydrogen energy.

The researchers included such factors as the energy used in producing the crop, costs that were not used in other studies that supported ethanol production, said Pimentel.

The study also omitted $3 billion in state and federal government subsidies that go toward ethanol production in the United States each year, payments that mask the true costs, Pimentel said.

Ethanol is an additive blended with gasoline to reduce auto emissions and increase gas' octane levels. Its use has grown rapidly since 2004, when the federal government banned the use of the additive MTBE to enhance the cleaner burning of fuel. About 3.6 billion gallons of ethanol were produced last year in the United States, according to the Renewable Fuels Association, an ethanol trade group.

The ethanol industry claims that using 8 billion gallons of ethanol a year will allow refiners to use 2 billion fewer barrels of oil. The oil industry disputes that, saying the ethanol mandate would have negligible impact on oil imports.

Ethanol producers dispute Pimentel and Patzek's findings, saying the data is outdated and doesn't take into account profits that offset costs.

Michael Brower, director of community and government relations at SUNY's College of Environmental Science and Forestry, points to reports by the Energy and Agriculture departments that have shown the ethanol produced delivers at least 60 percent more energy the amount used in production. The college has worked extensively on producing ethanol from hardwood trees.

Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine with few or no modifications. It is often blended with petroleum diesel to reduce the propensity to gel in cold weather.
Old 23-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #22
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default E10

I actually used this when BP had the 96RON + Ethanol in the Falcon and the Probe to no ill effect.
I work for the QLD Govt and they encourage the use of E10 in the fleet cars and I have been using it in the car I use at work and it is fine
Click on the link for the info from the QLD Govt about the use of E10
http://www.qfleet.qld.gov.au/01_abou...ve.htm#ethanol
and they have a list of cars you can not use it on - manufactures reccomendations.
When they bring back the 96RON with the ethanol I will use it again

Alan
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Just did a bit of searching and found this list of cars that can run safely on E10...

http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s1056358.htm
Old 23-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #24
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Good link Blanky. Interesting that a few hot models pop up in that list which are not recommended for this new government cash cow fuel. Won't be running it in my turbo buzzbox, thank you Mr Prime Minister.

Also I agree with Davway, if there is no labelling legislation, what is to stop profiteering at service stations whereby they claim it's a non-blended fuel and charge the "full" price, when in reality it IS a blended fuel? Who is going to monitor and stop that sort of thing? And you can't tell me it won't happen!
Old 23-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #25
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Just remember It takes 2 tank to get the benifets. The first tank cleans your fuel system and all the sludge that has built up will end up going through the engine and out the exhaust.[/QUOTE]

Must be what happened to me last week. Filled up with e10 on way to bairnsdale with no troubles even towing my tandam trailer but when l filled up the second tank on way home when she was just under half a tank it surged and lost power coughed spluttered and stalled. Restarted and crawled to nearest servo coughed again and real bad smell from exhaust then it was fine. Gave it a tank full of optimax and no dramas. Maybe the tanks now clean and l can use e10 again. Wasnt going too touch it ever again but your theory sounds pretty good.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 06:59 AM   #26
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Must be what happened to me last week. Filled up with e10 on way to bairnsdale with no troubles even towing my tandam trailer but when l filled up the second tank on way home when she was just under half a tank it surged and lost power coughed spluttered and stalled. Restarted and crawled to nearest servo coughed again and real bad smell from exhaust then it was fine. Gave it a tank full of optimax and no dramas. Maybe the tanks now clean and l can use e10 again. Wasnt going too touch it ever again but your theory sounds pretty good.
Going E10 cold turky does cause problem with the e10 breaking down the crap that has built up in you fuel system over the years. When you try it again, add it to your car instages, ie. fill up 3/4 with standard pulp and fill the rest with e10, then each time your fuel level reaches 1/4 empty top it up with e10. After 4 top ups you should be righ to fill with e10.

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 24-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #27
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Cheers mate will try it when this tanks half full.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #28
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Ethanol damages fuel pumps.It corrodes the components.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ethonol is apparently very corrosive to the fuel lines, and the whole fuel system in general. Holden had to upgrade the whole fuel system on the Commodore to sell it in Brazil. In that article in Street Machine it said that they have anti corrosive additives in the petrol to stop it wrecking the fuel system but I'd still avoid it. Why bother saving a few cents when you have to spend hundreds fixing your fuel system at a later date.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #30
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government is pushing ethanol blend petrol to help reduce the assistance to the sugar cane industry as someone else stated. With the potential damage to the fuel system in non-ethanol compliant cars, the government also benefits as people will need to change their cars more frequently as the vehicles wear out faster. Or at the very least need more frequent repairs = more GST from mechanics.

They claim E5 or E10 is safe. The car might run fine for a while, but parts such as seals, fuel line, fuel pumps etc will need more frequent replacement. This will mean the costs of running your car will increase over the long term.
Perhaps if the government changed ADRs to require cars to be ethanol blend compliant, over the long run a switch to ethanol blends could work.

As mentioned, the Commodore is exported to Brazil where I believe they have a 20%-24% ethanol blend. Parts are changed for these export spec cars. Some of these changes over local spec cars include: Nickel plated fuel lines and a different paint formula around the fuel filler so the corrosive nature of ethanol doesn't affect this area in the event of accidental fuel splashes.

Also ethanol contains 30% less energy than petrol. So a 10% blend with the same octane rating as normal petrol will give you 3% less economy in theory. That pretty much accounts for the 4 cent per litre expected price drop.

The government seems to enjoy leaving motorists in the cold, first there was LRP which had mixed reviews, now leaded petrol car drivers have to either modify their car or pay the double whammy of premium unleaded and an additive. Now the government is pushing for ethanol blend petrol for use in cars not equipped for it. Until they are, ethanol blends will have a negative net effect.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post