Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
turboute
turboute

Default Could we soon have another contender in the V8's?

Since the Chrysler 300C is almost availible now, and I am sure they mush have some pushrod engines (Hemi V8's) still in production, do you think they could enter the V8's and open up the competetion a bit?

They must certainly be more of a chance than either toyota or mitsubishi, who would be sourcing either ford or GM blocks to race, since neither of them have pushrod V8's in their linup of engines.

turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Well V8SC is not based on any form of actual machinery credibility. It's just a marketing creation that feeds on tribalism. And tribalism works best with only 2 tribes, so I'm guessing not.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Pretty sure it's gotta be an australian 4 door RWD V8.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be interesting.

But im thinking it wont happen.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Pretty sure it's gotta be an australian 4 door RWD V8.
Yup smack on the money. AVESCO = Australian Vee Eight Supercar COmpany.

There must be a locally assembled 4 door sedan which sells as a V8 in rear wheel drive format.

300C ain't assembled here so it doesn't get starting mention - apart from safety cars.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think it would even be possible just goin by the sheer size of it. It looks massive and I hate to imagine how hard it would be to get a competitive race car out of it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Since the Chrysler 300C is almost availible now, and I am sure they mush have some pushrod engines (Hemi V8's) still in production, do you think they could enter the V8's and open up the competetion a bit?

They must certainly be more of a chance than either toyota or mitsubishi, who would be sourcing either ford or GM blocks to race, since neither of them have pushrod V8's in their linup of engines.
Chrysler has said that they wouldn't enter the championship. There happy just being the pace car. It would be nice to have a few more manufacturers.
There was a rumor going around that mitsubishi were developing a RWD V8 and that they might enter the champioship, but than they brought out the magna model that almost sent them bankrupt.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Too many knuckles dragging far too low in the cretinous ranks of AVESCO, for them to introduce anyone else. Can you imagine the irate apes at the top of The Mountain if there were fans of a THIRD manufacturer present? They'd throw ALL their VB coconuts in anger, and jump up and down in fury, screaming primate obscenities!

The Dumbarse Bogan Factor™ is far too strong for any change to be implemented. Only the vastness of time, and the desperation of empty pockets, will force change, and even then I can forsee them letting the category die off rather than bothering changing things.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

I'd like to a 3rd manufacturer.

But there is nothing :(
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
XRated
Shoot.

Speaking of which, I saw a black test mule on Ferntree Gully Road the other day. They look very sharp on the road

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
aimzes
...fairly odd

ford and holden have chucked too much money into it to let another manufacturer just walk straight in. the sport is pretty big here and its still growing... i cant see it happening until the supporters stop turning up.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
ford and holden have chucked too much money into it to let another manufacturer just walk straight in. the sport is pretty big here and its still growing... i cant see it happening until the supporters stop turning up.
God knows why it is popular, I think it's due to the marketing momentum both Ford/FPV, Holden/HSV and AVESCO.

The Australian GTP races were always much more interesting, especially when they have their bathurst 1000.

That was until some drongo at Holden managed to convince CAMS that a 7.0L Monaro was really a "grand touring production".

We all know who really owns that mountain - Porsche.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #13
AuFairlaneV8

Standard porsche vs race car with a monaro shell, they should have just called that race the monaro 24 hour

Back on topic I think the charger would be better suited to V8 supercar racing

Thats if its ever sold here
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I dont think it would even be possible just goin by the sheer size of it. It looks massive and I hate to imagine how hard it would be to get a competitive race car out of it.
yes its quite a big car, it's tipped to be going against Fairlane/LTD and Statesman / Caprice, so that gives you an idea of the size
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
aimzes
...fairly odd

dont the fords have enough trouble getting the weight down to 1350... itd be bloody hard to do it with a lwb model.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Has to have a 5.0 OHV engine as well. Do Chrysler make one?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #17
aimzes
...fairly odd

i think plymouth had a 301 and a 303. close enough.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #18
bartaxr8

Default To Turboute..........

Just a quick correction on your first post. Toyota race trucks in NASCAR's Craftman Truck Series which require the use of a pushrod, 2 valve per cylinder engine which they make themselves. Not trying to be a smart **** but I thought I better point this out. No offence, Thanks.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah it isnt a toyota engine though, in craftsman, they use either ford or GM engines.....

thats the whole thing, with V8sc it has to be the engine used by the manufacturer
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe Volvo could rejoin with a RWD version of the S80 with a Volvo Penta V8 motor
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:50 AM   #21
spope
Banned

The entry rules for V8 supercars are fairly straightforward.
All taken from: http://www.v8supercar.com.au/content...ations_manual/
The production "example" must have sold at least 3500 units in a 12 month period of the same "family" as produced by Ford or Holden special vehicles department, and those vehicle must be of a family of which 25000 models have been sold. Apart from the Falcon and Commodore, name one other car that fits these criteria, manafacturer notwithstanding?
The current rules immediately eliminate any other manufacturer. Sorry, for the time being this is a two horse race. And that's why I love it - it offers a more even playing field than any other touring car class in the world. Only lower classes offer the same sort of level playing field (carrera cup, formula ford, etc)
The actual car that is raced is a different story. Must have a 5.0 litre (302 or 304) capacity, pushrod, OHV, 2 valves per cylinder. Does NOT have to be a 90 degree V, either.
So, don't expect to see any BF falcons until next year, and we are not likely to see VE commos until 2007, due to it being an all new car.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #22
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Has to have a 5.0 OHV engine as well. Do Chrysler make one?
Does Ford/GM make one in this country either? Last time I checked GM were selling 5.7L GenIIIs, but racing GenIIs .. and Ford were selling 5.4L SOHC/DOHC "modular" motors, but racing some Boss (Windsor block/Cleveland head) creation?
The Hemi is a OHV (not OHC) engine which could probably be easily de-stroked to 5.0L. I'd think it would be pretty kick-*** actually ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #23
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute

Rubbish !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #24
bartaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
yeah it isnt a toyota engine though, in craftsman, they use either ford or GM engines.....

thats the whole thing, with V8sc it has to be the engine used by the manufacturer
I have to disagree with you on this. The pushrod V8 used in the Toyota Tundra Craftmen trucks are made by TRD (Toyota Racing Development). I have only seen one picture of the engine and if I remember correctly the distributor is up the front like a Ford. Remember that NASCAR, in essence, is meant to be stock car racing. Therefore if a manufacture wants to enter they have to use there own body style and engines.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post