Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Lumpen Proletariat

Default AU Fairmont Ghia's? Opinions. Problems?

Hi Guys,

After doing 5,500km in Dads ED Sprint in the last 3 weeks, I got to thinking about how 'basic' our cars are, especially for creature comforts. Stuff like the XD Dash, XK Umbrella handbrake and model T suspension started to wear a bit thin.

I really like my EB XR8 but I'm just not getting the use out of it that I should and am considering upgrading to an AU Fairmont Ghia and am wondering what to look out for? I like the idea of ABS, Airbags, comfort etc too.

I would be looking for around something $7,500 to $8,500. That rules in only the AUI. Would that buy a good car or is that too low for a well maintained example.

Do they have many common faults? Are there any specific to the Ghia or Ghia options?

I've been driving my V8 for over a year and I've got used to the torque these things produce, especially from down low, being a manual helps alot. As I'm looking for a 6, the Ghia's all came with VCT? Is this a nice torquey engine? One paper it seems to be very flexible.

What economy does the VCT get? After about 3,000km in my V8, mainly driving round town, consumption seems to have settled down to 13.8l/100km.

The AUI had pretty bad brakes didn't it? Well they changed in AUII/III. Can you fit the brakes from say the new BF's on (I believe the Territory and BF XR8) or are the AUI's some kind of weird harold AUI only thing that is limited in expansion choices.

Anything else to look for, worry about etc? Something like airbags decapitating me or seats spontaneously combusting etc.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Brendan

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my Fairmont (not a Ghia) and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Do yourself a real favour and save a few extra bucks to get an AUII, there is a huge difference. I think your budget is reasonable for a private sale.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ghias were VCT's standard but the 8 was optional, and I agree that should really try and string it out for at least an AUII, the difference (to me) is pretty substantial.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd also go for an AU2, but if you get a good AU1 example, You can upgrade the front suspension to AU2 spec, and then upgrade the brakes to anything from AU2 right up to SY territory, all for around $1000 or less.

When I had my AU1 XR6 VCT, fuel consumption was around 10 on the highway, and around 14 around town.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These consumption figures you guys are quoting scares me. I really need to look at why mine drinks so much.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

if you bought an AU1, you would then spend enough money on upgrading the brakes to buy a well maintaned AU2 or possibly 3.

the brakes are adequate.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Go for an AU2/3, it's worth the extra dollars.

Forget the 6 and go the 8!!!! Other option is to go for the Ghia and get the VCT. Extra grunt is always nice.

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
Go for an AU2/3, it's worth the extra dollars.

Forget the 6 and go the 8!!!! Other option is to go for the Ghia and get the VCT. Extra grunt is always nice.
The extra grunt (a whole 11 kw) is need to cart around the extra 80kg odd for the IRS. The Ghia VCT is rated at 168 kw IIRC, and the XR6 at 172. The V8 is 175, but around 10% more torque than the 6 (approx 400NM vs 370 odd for the VCT 6, and 357 for the stock 6).

The VCT is s good donk though - it's just not a V8.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The extra grunt (a whole 11 kw) is need to cart around the extra 80kg odd for the IRS. The Ghia VCT is rated at 168 kw IIRC, and the XR6 at 172. The V8 is 175, but around 10% more torque than the 6 (approx 400NM vs 370 odd for the VCT 6, and 357 for the stock 6).

Yeah, a V8 is nice but as they are, even the AU Windsors are pretty stangled (save maybe the AU220 and T3's). Even though my little EB would be lucky to have 165kw the light weight makes it pretty lively.

That being said I'm not after going fast, just something that can tick along 'economically' with enough poke to get me out of trouble but not so much as to get into trouble.

I knew there was a difference in brakes but suspension and everything else too! To much effort. Save's me looking at AUI's when the time comes. AUII Fairmonts seem to be around 6 to 8 but the cheapest AUII Ghia is 11,000! Hmmm

More investigation required.

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
Yeah, a V8 is nice but as they are, even the AU Windsors are pretty stangled (save maybe the AU220 and T3's). Even though my little EB would be lucky to have 165kw the light weight makes it pretty lively.
Don't know where you get that idea. The heads used in all the AUs are effectively the same. The only difference between the AU1 and AU2/3 is a better tune to run on PULP, and for the 220s, they got 1.72RRs, and a bigger TB and possibly MAF. Other than that, the engines are pretty much the same, so it's not hard to crack the 220 mark in an AU1 175kw jobbie - especially with the edit now being able to update the tune. The AU motors are streets ahead of anything E series, EL2 included.

The T3s of course are stroked, but even then, I'm pretty sure the heads are the same as the AU1 XR8 (GT-40P).

But yeh, the VCT will do the job nicely. Have you looked interstate for a Ghia? If you get one with under 160000km, it comes with a 3 month stat warranty which is almost as good as new car warranty. Might be worth a plane ticket to go interstate to get one in your price range.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Don't know where you get that idea. The heads used in all the AUs are effectively the same. The only difference between the AU1 and AU2/3 is a better tune to run on PULP, and for the 220s, they got 1.72RRs, and a bigger TB and possibly MAF. Other than that, the engines are pretty much the same, so it's not hard to crack the 220 mark in an AU1 175kw jobbie - especially with the edit now being able to update the tune. The AU motors are streets ahead of anything E series, EL2 included
Just from Driving Dad's car, I did most of the driving on the trip. The Sprint is basically the AUII XR8 Engine, heads, intake etc. His is mildly tuned, 155rwkw. About 85kg lighter than a V8 Ghia too. It is quick no doubt about it, sounds great but..... That said, I would consider a V8 if it had the other things I'm looking for, but it would be the last tick in the box, not the first.

As for looking, I'm selling my car first and have just had a look on carsales. They seem pretty thin on the ground at the moment. Cheapest one is 11K from a dealer too.

Lumpy

Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
LO_ GHIA
cruisin

Wow, you have found some CHEAP ghia's floating around. How many km's? I paid $15k for my AU1 ghia 1 year ago. 90,000kms, and is in absolutely MINT condition. Factory dual fuel, premium sound, black leather.....only thing it doesnt have is sunroof (I heard AU sunroof's leak so i stayed away). Make sure you get a good AU, most FORD's are LEMONS! Crap mechanical (chassis structure and suspension) product, and if you dont go for the best crap product, then you are going to have major problems down the track. Oh and the interior on the ghia is one of the nicest still. Kicks the BA easily, actually close to euro quality inside.

Good luck with it
LO_ GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lumpen,
So one assumes the sprint is staying..? I guess the biggest issue with the sprint is the ride.. It IS hard!.. Esp when going from a TS terry to the Sprint.. But boy does the sprint corner well.. On the hwy I get 10's to 11's. It is better on the juice than the TS terry in all ways..
Like the others above.. I would go the AUII over the AUI if you can afford it. The difference between the VCT and non would be minimal. Are you after leather or cloth? If leather then the Ghia is the only way to go. But if cloth then the base Fairmont would do the job very nicely. I think the Ghia was basicly a XR6 VCT with all the nice bits.. You will be missing the Sprints horses though..!
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

I agree the difference is not much (11kw) and it is off-set by the 80kg IRS, but dosen't the IRS get you up and going quicker/better? It should also provide better handling.

I could not go past the Ghia V8, put it on gas, get your $2,000 from the government and enjoy the torque.

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdennis
Lumpen,
So one assumes the sprint is staying..? I guess the biggest issue with the sprint is the ride.. It IS hard!.. Esp when going from a TS terry to the Sprint.. But boy does the sprint corner well.. On the hwy I get 10's to 11's. It is better on the juice than the TS terry in all ways..
Like the others above.. I would go the AUII over the AUI if you can afford it. The difference between the VCT and non would be minimal. Are you after leather or cloth? If leather then the Ghia is the only way to go. But if cloth then the base Fairmont would do the job very nicely. I think the Ghia was basicly a XR6 VCT with all the nice bits.. You will be missing the Sprints horses though..!
BDennis,

The Sprint will be staying with Dad, this would be a replacement for my manual EB XR8. Economy on the Sprint isn't too bad all things considering, especially for an Auto with no cruise. We did 5,242km in it at an average of 11.64l/100km combined.

My XR8 is a very fit 165kw&370nm. So outright poke wouldn't be that different, just interested in the delivery.

As for all the shiny things, I like the idea of them, leather etc, but with a price difference of about 40% for Fairmont vs Ghia.

Tha Fairmont was still live axel? I thought all premium AU's were IRS? Was it only the Ghia's and XR's?

Lumpy

Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #16
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, Fairmont's had live axle
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO_ GHIA
Make sure you get a good AU, most FORD's are LEMONS! Crap mechanical (chassis structure and suspension) product
Mate, you obviously have NFI what your are talking about... Last time I checked, mechanical meant the mechanics of a car, and structural meant the chassis structure. As for the rest of your post, your obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed, on 2 counts:

1. IMHO the AU is the most mechanically sound aussie-built car this country has produced. They literally last forever. Every taxi driver I have heard from, and I catch a lot of taxis, regrets letting the AU go for a BA, because of how reliable they are.

2. Posting ridiculous generalised BS like "most FORD's are LEMONS!" is both flame bait and utterly stupid. At least we aren't still running datsun suspension in our cars mate.

Now to answering the actual question. From what I have heard of VCT's, they have the thrist of V8, without the torque. So, if you can afford it, get the V8. I would also recommend getting an AU2, if no other reason, just the suspension and brakes. Although, in saying that, I drive an AU1 update forte, and I haven't got a problem at all with the brakes. But the AU2 is definately a better drive.

Don't rule out XR8's because of a lack of creature comforts, a lot of them do come with leather, premium sound, all the goodies, but they may be a little out of your price range...

I reckon, keep an open mind, look for your Ghia, and if you see something you like the look of, go for it.
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO_ GHIA
Wow, you have found some CHEAP ghia's floating around. How many km's? I paid $15k for my AU1 ghia 1 year ago. 90,000kms, and is in absolutely MINT condition. Factory dual fuel, premium sound, black leather.....only thing it doesnt have is sunroof (I heard AU sunroof's leak so i stayed away). Make sure you get a good AU, most FORD's are LEMONS! Crap mechanical (chassis structure and suspension) product, and if you dont go for the best crap product, then you are going to have major problems down the track. Oh and the interior on the ghia is one of the nicest still. Kicks the BA easily, actually close to euro quality inside.

Good luck with it
AUI Ghias, all on car sales.
Private Sale
$8,500 - 170,000 - Silver
$9,800 - 135,000 - Black
$9,900 - 128,000 - Burgandy
$11,990 - 121,000 - Dark Green
Dealer
$9,400 - 166,200 - Beige
$9,990 - 141,400 - Burgandy

AUII Ghias
Private Sales
$11,000 - 170,000 - Dark Green
$11,500 - 171,000 - Silver
$13,400 - 98,000 - Burgandy
Dealer
$10,990 - 160,000 - Burgandy
$12,990 - 145,000 - Dark Blue.

I think alot of these 'big' cars have fallen on their bum in the last 12 months, though the LPG rebate will have helped no end.

One thing I have seen is that some cars have a nice, classy black dash/interior while others have a light grey get up. Is this a 50/50 kind of thing or are the black ones harder to get?

Lumpy

Old 04-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #19
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Not necessarily true mate... IRS was at least an option, and I thought all VCT Falcon sedans had IRS standard...
Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
One thing I have seen is that some cars have a nice, classy black dash/interior while others have a light grey get up. Is this a 50/50 kind of thing or are the black ones harder to get?

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but AU1 will be grey, AU2 will be black.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Fairmont's with SOHC were live axle

Fairmont Ghia's with VCT were IRS. and any 5L fairmont was IRS.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

This may or may not be helpfull as we've got an AUII Fairlane with about 101,000kms on it.

The brake rotors were machined by the dealer (Duhig Ford in Melb) before we bought it at 80,000kms, LPG was fitted at the same time and no problems with either since.

VCT gets, on an average, about 11.5 petrol or gas.

No decapations, so far, from airbags or squished wives from seat belt pre-tensioners.

Cleaning sticky sweets and ice cream from the rear leather is no problem.

As for the comment "all fords are lemons" I'd have to agree there. We've had ours for nearly two years and I've already had to replace a rear indicator globe!

I dont know if an AUI Fairmont Ghia has black leather but if you can get one go for it, it looks great.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #23
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Fairmont's with SOHC were live axle

Fairmont Ghia's with VCT were IRS. and any 5L fairmont was IRS.

It was an option of the non-vct fairmonts too...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
This may or may not be helpfull as we've got an AUII Fairlane with about 101,000kms on it.

The brake rotors were machined by the dealer (Duhig Ford in Melb) before we bought it at 80,000kms, LPG was fitted at the same time and no problems with either since.

VCT gets, on an average, about 11.5 petrol or gas.

No decapations, so far, from airbags or squished wives from seat belt pre-tensioners.

Cleaning sticky sweets and ice cream from the rear leather is no problem.

As for the comment "all fords are lemons" I'd have to agree there. We've had ours for nearly two years and I've already had to replace a rear indicator globe!

I dont know if an AUI Fairmont Ghia has black leather but if you can get one go for it, it looks great.
Yep, thats the interior! Horn! I'd consider a Lane too, they're nice.

Thanks everybody for you thoughts and comments. I appreciate it!

Lumpy

Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #25
ntguy

I have a Fairmont Ghia V8 AU1, has same black interior as above. I paid 6k, however has 232k KMs. Nothing wrong with it. Good car, but getting bored with it already.

MMM thinking 4wd again, or there is talk I will be getting company car soon. If that happens Fairmont will go as well.

Last edited by ntguy; 04-04-2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: engine
ntguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #26
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntguy
I have a Fairmont Ghia V8 AU1, has same black interior as above. I paid 6k, however has 232k KMs. Nothing wrong with it. Good car, but getting bored with it already.

MMM thinking 4wd again, or there is talk I will be getting company car soon. If that happens Fairmont will go as well.
It must be horrible if you're getting so bored already! Post us some pics of this ugly, boring beast! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
ntguy

Well I normally go through about 4 or 5 cars a year. With a few bikes throw in.
Not sure how to post pic.

Will try
Old 04-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #28
ntguy

Here is some pics if I can get it to work

Here is link of some picshttp://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=87118