Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 27-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
shevek

Default WS to WZ

So I'm driving along the Newell to Moree at 9.30 on a Friday night a few weeks ago when I get this rood shock. (see below) Always a risk of roos when it's so dry.
Anyway, AAMI writes off the 2010 WS Zetec and pays me a lot, $17k. Unintentionally, I'd over-insured it.
I'm up North for a week and reminisce a bit.
Great car, great to drive, few problems. Gearbox a bit notchy, awkward to get reverse. I bent a rim once on a pothole - needed a new tyre - got the rim rolled straight. A month later a bigger pothole - yes, my vision is okay - and cracked a rim. I'd read here that those WS 16" allows were crap, so I got CSA Swords which were fine.

I need a new car when a I get back to Sydney. No time for serious research and testing so I figure another Fiesta. Naturally I think ST but can't afford to wait for delivery and don't like the colours of the demos on offer. Besides, the wife wants four doors.

Then I find out about the 3-cylinder turbo, sounds a perfect match, better than the same engine in a Focus. So I email around and get a(nother) light blue one from Rockdale, rear sensors thrown in. For the same 21k I paid 4½ years ago.

After two weeks, how do they compare? Hard to think back but the Thai WZ Sport seems better built than the German Zetec, better paintwork, tighter feel, no rattles. I'm thinking lower Thai labour costs might mean better quality control.

Interior looks and feels fine. No issue with the hard plastics. The Sony sound system looks a bit busy but the extra functions are useful and the sound seems a bit better. They've skimped a bit, such as no projector headlights which the Zetec had. Has a real spare wheel, extra airbags, stylish seats with some leather. SYNC is a bit fancier, I like the facelift, don't mind the Aston grill.

This is my first turbo. I start by changing down a lot, not trusting the engine to pull from low revs. Ford says 1400 is enough but it doesn't sound happy.
I learn to trust that and now potter through roundabouts in third. Need to do that to get good mileage. On the other hand, this is a warm hatch that squirts along nicely if you want it to. Sounds good, haven't noticed any of what the Yanks call NVH. Same beautiful, direct steering, light pedals, silky gearbox (better than the WS)

So far, it's all good. I'm really surprised that the Fiesta is outsold by the likes of Yaris, i20, Mazda 2, remembering it's the top-selling car in England.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rood.jpg (28.3 KB, 85 views)
shevek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: WS to WZ

Nice to read a positive (and balanced) view based on real world experience.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What sort of driving are you doing in the WZ sport? City or freeway or country?
What sort of fuel economy is it giving?

Has it got plenty of go when you press the throttle in gear 5 at 85/90/100 on the freeway?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
shevek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post

Has it got plenty of go when you press the throttle in gear 5 at 85/90/100 on the freeway?
Only 2 weeks around Sydney's hilly East & North. 7/100 if I go quietly, 8 if I don't. Rarely hit 5th, which is a big overdrive (0.756) so not expecting much. Going on a long trip in 2 weeks. We'll see.
Old 29-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That economy then would be pretty much the same as a 1.5 or 1.6 engine?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
shevek

Quote:
That economy then would be pretty much the same as a 1.5 or 1.6 engine?
Early days and Sydney is hilly.
Ford claim 4.9 for 1.0 turbo vs 5.8 for 1.6, though no testers quite achieved that.
Old 31-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Ms_Jam

Thanks, Shevek.

Please give us regular reports.

Some interesting comments on the engine here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...rst-drive.html
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
shevek

Quote:

Drove Sydney - Port Macquarie return this weekend, 600k round trip.
5.8 L /100 k
Sat on 110 with cruise control on, 98 octane, manual. Might achieve a bit better by slowing but Ford's "claimed" 4.9/100 looks tough to achieve.
80 - 110 in 5th took me just under 6 seconds. Not an ST .....
Old 15-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5.8/100k is a bit dissapointing compared to 4.9. i get 5.5 on the same run in my 1.6WT manual.
Still it is new tho, might take more time.
Old 16-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Pursya

No car achieves the claimed fuel consumption in the real world.
The fuel consumption figure though is reliable to compare vehicles at purchase time because it is achieved in a controlled testing environment.
And that's the only way you should use those figures.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Ms_Jam

How long from zero to 100 in the WZ when you put your toe in?
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post