Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 29-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #11821
leesa

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
This is excellent. If anyone claims they do not know the risks by know have got bigger problem than 1/100,000 plus of a clot. If I was younger I would jump at it rather than waiting for who knows how long for an RNA vaccine. Top up with one of them down the track.

Being upset because you cant sue someone? This is how the world should be, information from your GP, personal choice, personal responsibility.
That's not really how it works. A lot of people (particularly younger generations) are getting vaccinated to protect other people like oldies, the sick and those that can't be vaccinated. It's a largely selfless act to contribute to herd immunity to protect other people rather than yourself.

Vaccine injury is always a possibility even outside of covid vaccinations. So you want people to have access to a vaccine that's currently outside of medical recommendations for their age group, make their own choice to get it despite the advice saying don't... so as to largely protect others.. but then you also want to backpedal if they die from it and claim "personal choice, personal responsibilitly"? This is exactly why there's so much hesitancy around the AZ vaccine - people feel like their life is ultimately not important and if they die from it well too bad so sad.

4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #11822
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Don't think Joe Hockey will get invited to any future Liberal Party Xmas dinners. He laid a fair turd on his former party's handling of the virus.........

Seems every one in the media and ex politicians are all experts......

Last edited by buggerlugs; 29-06-2021 at 09:56 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2021, 09:51 PM   #11823
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
That's not really how it works. A lot of people (particularly younger generations) are getting vaccinated to protect other people like oldies, the sick and those that can't be vaccinated. It's a largely selfless act to contribute to herd immunity to protect other people rather than yourself.
Not sure where you get that info from but everyone that I know who's had the jab did not do it for the health and wellbeing of other folk.

When I eventually get around to having mine it'll be for me and that's it.
Old 29-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #11824
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Has the government sacked or replaced her? otherwise I would say No.
Going from past events, being thrown under a bus doesn't necessarily result in sackings. You are smart enough to read between the lines. Just this punter's observation, but after burdening close to 50% of the country's population with a lockdown, "proportionate" and "compassionate" has now been replaced with "public health advice".

It would be nice to hear the CHO's rationale at some stage. Hard to imagine a Chief Health Officer would roll the dice on public health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Not sure where you get that info from but everyone that I know who's had the jab did not do it for the health and wellbeing of other folk.

You will be surprised.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...a2c5fad9e7427b

What scares you most about covid?
Catching it and getting sick or dying - 21%
Passing it on to others who could get sick or die - 32%
It's impact on my life through restrictions and lockdowns - 33%
The impact it is having on my finances - 5%
The impact it is having on my mental health - 9%
44,695 Voters

"impact on my life through restrictions and lockdowns" had a sudden increase in the last couple of days

Result is all the more interesting given the readership of this outlet.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 29-06-2021, 10:09 PM   #11825
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You will be surprised.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...a2c5fad9e7427b

What scares you most about covid?
Catching it and getting sick or dying - 21%
Passing it on to others who could get sick or die - 32%
It's impact on my life through restrictions and lockdowns - 33%
The impact it is having on my finances - 5%
The impact it is having on my mental health - 9%
44,695 Voters
Yeah I have fun with polls as well, I've lost count how many times I'm the LGBTQ+XYZ CEO of a major national company
Old 29-06-2021, 11:29 PM   #11826
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Surely the takeaway from that poll is that 2/3 of respondents aren’t overly concerned about what happens to other people?

Quote:
Yeah I have fun with polls as well, I've lost count how many times I'm the LGBTQ+XYZ CEO of a major national company
Are you really Alan Joyce?
Old 29-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #11827
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Surely the takeaway from that poll is that 2/3 of respondents aren’t overly concerned about what happens to other people?

Not this week.
Old 29-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #11828
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:

In actual fact I had mine for the well being of my missus , step daughter , neice and nephew and my olds.
In my work I'm inside 20 different different houses a week and in contact with many people.
The less chance I have of catching it has to help my family.
8 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #11829
Trevor 57
is now there

Seems our PM must be suffering cabin fever after having to be in self-isolation for 2 weeks

He is telling everyone to go against his own medical professionals advice on people under 60 taking the AstraZeneca vaccine - he must have a different insight to others, or he is a AZ share-holder, or maybe he got some great advice via Hillsong - who knows

But, it is like a WTF moment, when a non-medical person goes against the medical advice of professionals - maybe he needs to sack them if he has no confidence in their advice
Old 30-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #11830
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

Well he was around when Qantas made their first flight
Old 30-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #11831
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Well he was around when Qantas made their first flight
im not surprised

i thought he was around when TAA made their first flight

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #11832
leesa

Quote:

That's because you're selfish. I'm not saying that to insult you, just to describe the behaviour of being concerned for yourself and not of others.

Quote:
selfish adjective
Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.
self·​ish | \ ˈsel-fish
\
Definition of selfish

1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others a selfish act
It's the same concept why people escape pending lockdowns by leaving the state and spread their infection to people in their path. Why should they have to go into lockdown? They should be free to do what they like? Nevermind the devastation that it causes the millions of others who are affected by their actions.

It used to be that people in society cared for each other and how their own actions would affect other people, both positively and negatively. That kind of concern for others doesn't really exist anymore, now it's a "**** you, I got mine" kind of society.

The flu jab is another that's rolled out for herd immunity to protect the vulnerable. The whole concept of herd immunity is to protect the vulnerable and those that can't be vaccinated themselves. Less-at-risk people take one for the team so as to protect other people.

It's probably heading off topic but if more people cared about others then we'd all be living in a better world today.

Last edited by leesa; 30-06-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Old 30-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #11833
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

Vaccine injury is always a possibility even outside of covid vaccinations. So you want people to have access to a vaccine that's currently outside of medical recommendations for their age group, make their own choice to get it despite the advice saying don't... so as to largely protect others.. but then you also want to backpedal if they die from it and claim "personal choice, personal responsibilitly"? This is exactly why there's so much hesitancy around the AZ vaccine - people feel like their life is ultimately not important and if they die from it well too bad so sad.
Outside of medical recommendations? You mean "some recommendations" Step one was "get information from your GP" I count that as medical advice from someone who knows your individual situation.

You yourself decided to ignore the then current "medical advice" way back earlier when you said you were not going to get AZ, and you were willing to endanger the community and wait for Pfizer. (That's because you're selfish. I'm not saying that to insult you, just to describe the behaviour of being concerned for yourself and not of others.)

But that is your right in my book, the medical advice changed, and it could change again. You exercised your right to look at the medical advice, and exercise personal choice and accept personal responsibility. I support your right to do that.

3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #11834
leesa

Quote:
Outside of medical recommendations? You mean "some recommendations" Step one was "get information from your GP" I count that as medical advice from someone who knows your individual situation.
It's against the public health advice, the australian medical association has advised to not listen to the PM urging younger generations to get AZ.
But yes, noone can stop you if you want to do that.

Quote:
You yourself decided to ignore the then current "medical advice" way back earlier when you said you were not going to get AZ, and you were willing to endanger the community and wait for Pfizer. (That's because you're selfish. I'm not saying that to insult you, just to describe the behaviour of being concerned for yourself and not of others.)

But that is your right in my book, the medical advice changed, and it could change again. You exercised your right to look at the medical advice, and exercise personal choice and accept personal responsibility. I support your right to do that.
To be fair I didn't have access to either vaccine back then, I wasn't on the priority list and didn't qualify for vaccination at all. What I said was I'll find a way to get pfizer instead of AZ, and the medical advice changed a day or two afterwards anyway to say pfizer should be used in younger generations. I've been isolating since the pandemic started, have worn masks since it started so as to protect others even when they weren't wearing masks to protect me and got vaccinated as soon as I could. I don't have any preexisting health issues but I don't want to be responsible for killing someone else.
FWIW I get the flu jab each year too. Not because I'm in any at-risk group of dying from the flu but I could easily pass it on to someone who might. Keeping others safe is a community responsibility. It's the same reason why your kids can't take peanuts to school despite not having allergies themselves.

Then there are others on here saying they should be able to leave the house of their free will and never be forced into lock down because they're confident in their own ability to survive an infection (**** everyone else though, right?). That anyone who's at-risk should just not leave their house and that if they do, and happen to get sick by someone like themselves infecting them, well it was their own choice to put themselves at risk by leaving the house and if they wanted to stay alive they should have kept themselves safer.

Old 30-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #11835
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
This is the footage i was supposed to have linked to for today.....

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6261469385001
So Karen Andrews has come out and rebutted the 50% claim by Steven Miles. She is claiming that 80% of hotel quarantine returnees are citizens or permanent residents or close family.....read into that however you like , but sounds like 30% discrepancy coming through might be "close family" exemptions.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 30-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #11836
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s good to know - thanks.
Old 30-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #11837
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Surely the takeaway from that poll is that 2/3 of respondents aren’t overly concerned about what happens to other people? .....
Interesting way of looking at it, I like the way you think. Although I reckon people selected what they related to the most, not necessarily meaning the others didn't factor. Hard to believe 95% didn't care about impact to their finances.

Rides (past and present)

Old 30-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #11838
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

We may just have to go and take it then........

Queensland due to run out of Pfizer within days

Quote:
By Adam Vidler10:31

Queensland Health Minister Yvette D'Ath has said Queensland is due to run out of Pfizer vaccines in eight days, and the state has been denied extra supply by the Federal Government.

She said extra vaccines had been requested from Australia's vaccine rollout commander Lieutenant-General John Frewen.

"The reason we gave is that we are at a critical level and that at some of our sites we are projected to run out of Pfizer by as soon as week 20," she said.

"That's July 5. Next Monday.

"About three weeks ago, when Victoria went into lockdown, and asked for additional supply, they got an extra 100,000 vaccines.

"We weren't offered less than what we asked for, we have been denied any extra vaccines."

Ms D'Ath called on the federal government to disclose national Pfizer stockpiles, and asked whether low supply was behind the federal decision to expand eligibility for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

"Have we only got what is allocated, and no contingency stock left until that big delivery in October?" she said.

"It can't simply be because we have a lot of stock of one vaccine and not enough of the other, to start recommending that people get a particular vaccine.

"That advice should always be based on clinical advice."

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 30-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #11839
leesa

Quote:
We may just have to go and take it then........

Queensland due to run out of Pfizer within days
the federal government are withholding pfizer. Scomo won't release more supply and has instead suggested younger generations go and get astrazeneca. He should be releasing more supply and not making comment on medical directives seeing as he's not qualified to do so.

Old 30-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #11840
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

My next wondering, is whether the fairly long interval between doses of Astra-Zeneca, will be shortened.
Old 30-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #11841
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
the federal government are withholding pfizer. Scomo won't release more supply and has instead suggested younger generations go and get astrazeneca. He should be releasing more supply and not making comment on medical directives seeing as he's not qualified to do so.
'I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca', Queensland Chief Health Officer says
Jeanette Young makes her position clear:

No, I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca.

Reporter:

Why?

Dr Young:

Because they are at increased risk of getting - it is rare, but they are at increased risk of getting the rare clotting syndrome. We've seen up to 49 deaths in the UK from that syndrome.

I don't want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID probably wouldn't die. We've had very few deaths due to COVID-19 in Australia in people under the age of 50, and wouldn't it be terrible that our first 18-year-old in Queensland to who dies related to this pandemic died because of the vaccine?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...ost-1201814742

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #11842
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Unbelievable. It undermines the notion of “informed consent” and further reduces people to pawns in a political game.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #11843
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT June 29th, 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

25 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.978%.

3 cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.949% and active cases 30.

The UK had a lower 20,223 cases yesterday and higher 23 deaths.

A higher 15,552 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 224 deaths sees CMR at 1.795%.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 3.95M, the last 50k in 6 days;
South America passes 1M deaths - just over half being from Brazil;

Fiji (312);
Cuba (3,080); and
Tunisia (5,251)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Myanmar moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Mozambique and the Dominican Republic drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #11844
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Dr Young:

Because they are at increased risk of getting - it is rare, but they are at increased risk of getting the rare clotting syndrome. We've seen up to 49 deaths in the UK from that syndrome.

I don't want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID probably wouldn't die. We've had very few deaths due to COVID-19 in Australia in people under the age of 50, and wouldn't it be terrible that our first 18-year-old in Queensland to who dies related to this pandemic died because of the vaccine?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...ost-1201814742
I am pretty sure in this example the GP would be giving exactly that advice - dont get AZ.

Everyone getting hysterical about this.

Acknowledging a shortage of Pfizer
so....

if you want.....from the ABC

Who can get the AstraZeneca vaccine?
AstraZeneca is the preferred vaccine for people over the age of 60.

That is the health advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI).

However, last night Prime Minister Scott Morrison clarified that did not "preclude" people under 60 from getting AstraZeneca.

"If you wish to get the AstraZeneca vaccine, then we would encourage you to go and have that discussion with your GP," Mr Morrison said.

So, anyone over age 18 who has been eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccine as part of the Commonwealth rollout has always been able to ask for AstraZeneca.

The key change announced on Monday night was the introduction of a new no-fault indemnity scheme for GPs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...-gps/100251376

How people can claim to be confused about this, well I worry more about our intelligence than covid.

2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #11845
leesa

Quote:
Unbelievable. It undermines the notion of “informed consent” and further reduces people to pawns in a political game.
No it doesn't, it's not a political game. Even the international advice is also for younger generations to not get astrazeneca due to the risk.
"informed consent" only goes so far, people are not medical professionals and you can't expect everyone to be able to know which decision to make. If only there was some sort of governing medical body that could weigh up the risks with the advantages and put out some sort of medical advice on which vaccination people should get, incase they don't want to or can't make their own decisions.

Besides, there's nothing stopping you from going to get an astrazeneca shot if you really want one. It's against medical advice but if you want one, go get one. Why are you trying to prevent medical professions from putting out medical advice for people who don't know enough or can't make their own decisions? I don't understand why people are trying to make this out to be some sort of conspiracy?

Old 30-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #11846
leesa

Quote:
'I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca', Queensland Chief Health Officer says
Jeanette Young makes her position clear:

No, I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca.
what's your point?

Old 30-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #11847
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I am pretty sure in this example the GP would be giving exactly that advice - dont get AZ.

Everyone getting hysterical about this.

Acknowledging a shortage of Pfizer
so....

if you want.....from the ABC

Who can get the AstraZeneca vaccine?
AstraZeneca is the preferred vaccine for people over the age of 60.

That is the health advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI).

However, last night Prime Minister Scott Morrison clarified that did not "preclude" people under 60 from getting AstraZeneca.

"If you wish to get the AstraZeneca vaccine, then we would encourage you to go and have that discussion with your GP," Mr Morrison said.

So, anyone over age 18 who has been eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccine as part of the Commonwealth rollout has always been able to ask for AstraZeneca.

The key change announced on Monday night was the introduction of a new no-fault indemnity scheme for GPs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...-gps/100251376

How people can claim to be confused about this, well I worry more about our intelligence than covid.
Who is getting hysterical??

Have heard of individuals doing their due diligence and asking questions or showing concern, which is neither hysterical or confused........

Old 30-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #11848
tweeked
N/A all the way

Trouble in South Australia now......

Old 30-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #11849
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
what's your point?
Not my point at all, it's a quote in reply to your post with what the Qld Health minister said....

Fairly straight forward post i thought.

Old 30-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #11850
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As someone who likes a bit of background noise (TV and radio) when working from home, I'm finding it really hard not to get distracted with all the covid news, then jumping on FFA to read the banter

SA now reporting that a family might have the delta variant. With the kicker being that the family was known to be positive before being allowed to fly in on a private jet. Lock down could be imminent, according to Andrew Clennell from Sky News (why do I have that on?). Although, sounds odd you would allow known positives to return then lock the state down? Something doesn't make sense.

Meanwhile, 7000 Victorians have returned from red zones. It would be a mini miracle if Vic comes through unscathed. Again, seeing quite a few yellow plates out in the burbs this afternoon.

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread