Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Barossa Red AU3

Angry Ticking Lash Adjuster

Hi There Fellow Ford Owners

Im Only New To This Forum Just Thought Id Thow This One Out There.
I Have a 2002 AU3 Falcon I6 Auto 93000 kms
I Bought secondhand from local Ford dealer Sold and serviced from NEW. after i bought it and had the first sevice done by them i noticed a ticking lifter when engine was hot only at about 1200 RPM the oil from new has been Castrol Magnatec FMX 10w-30. After they serviced the second time it was still there so i took it back and let them listen to it they seemed to think that when it was serviced it must have stired up some 'Crap' in oil wich must have got stuck in a lash adjuster but it should clear itself. 20000 klms Later its still there and ive tryed Nulon lifter free and tune up didnt work. Used Castrol Edge 0w-40 oil No Differrent Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 Great oil But still have that Damn ticking lash Adjuster and im ready to pull the rocker cover off and all the rocker gear and inspect all the lash adjusters and clean them out. Any Last Ideas Would Be Appreciated.

Barossa Red AU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jim mock has the seals that will fix this for only $30
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Barossa Red AU3

Thanks For That I Knew Someone would have a fix other than replacing the lash adjusters Hopefully i dont spend to much at JMM i Know he has some pretty trick stuff there for making Sixs Go
Old 15-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
swanee
spoolin!

try a thicker oil.

0w40 is way too thin. try a 15w40 or 15w50.

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is there anywhere in QLD that does the same parts??
what exactly are they that JMM sells?

thanks
Old 15-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is a set of neoprene seals for the lifters a set of 12 for $30
Old 16-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Barossa Red AU3

I dont Believe Oil Viscosity is The Isue as i have done a lot of research and The Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 deg Celcius Of Edge 0w-40 Is Higher Than Magnatec Fmx 10w-30 is and considering this bleed down of the lifters is at running temp and only at about 1200 rpm i think ill try the JMM Repair kit and see how i go Im Just of The oppinion that thicker Oil is a Band aid Aproach and not fixing the problem. But While on the subject of oils it is an interesting one and i deal with it everyday beeing a petrol head Asisstant Manager at Supercheap Auto And love to research oils on the internet to find out a little bit more and have found a lot of people coming back to comment on the oil i sold them fixed the ticking noise first thing in the morning and all i did was give them what the manufacturer recomends. anyway thats my two cents worth.
Old 16-10-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
swanee
spoolin!

just trying to help

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
Barossa Red AU3

No Dramas swanee Im Just Jealous That You Have the extra 2 Cylinders and over 100kws more on the earth FORDS ROCK & Even Roll When They are fast enough
Old 16-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

au i6's don't use the the little plastic looking seals like the earlier e series.they use a small stainless ciclip to hold the lifter in place.
Old 16-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

according to jim mock himself they still have a neoprene seal and i would tend to belive him
Old 16-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it the little circlip wearing out that causes the ticking noise FS5??

if so i can probably attain them at a good price thru my work
Old 16-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
is it the little circlip wearing out that causes the ticking noise FS5??

if so i can probably attain them at a good price thru my work
i couln't tell you forsure,but i'd doubt it.the circlip only stop the lifter from falling out/moving downward.

i tried buying some a while ago but no one sold them ,except ford but they would only sell you them with the lifter though @ $45 each.if you can get them through your work it would be handy for the guys on here to know.

au3xr6,the lash ajuster repair kit that jmm sells is for e seriese.i'd ring him before you buy them and ask him if they will work on an au.
Old 16-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i need to get a sample one so i can compare with what we can get

only so many companys make circlips eh.. so it cant be too hard to find who makes the ford item

if its a bog stock boring circlip but in stainless etc.. just need measurements then i could order them easy
Old 16-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
i need to get a sample one so i can compare with what we can get

only so many companys make circlips eh.. so it cant be too hard to find who makes the ford item

if its a bog stock boring circlip but in stainless etc.. just need measurements then i could order them easy
you'd definately have to see one .its more like a stainless high tensile wire they are made of.
Old 16-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did ring him and he said they were suitable for my AU 3. the only reason i didn't get them was i changed engines as i was down on compression in 4 cylinders. i recomend a call to Jim
Old 16-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #17
Barossa Red AU3

I Have not dealt with jim as yet but i believe he is dedicated to giving ford I6 Owners the performance they expect and his buisness is all about a no bull aproach to engine mods and repairs with proven results.