Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Default What does Ford have to do to sell their cars?

Ok so there are numerous threads on this site telling us how good the FG is.
The latest here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11229098
But on the other hand there are also numerous threads saying how bad Ford's advertising is.

I see a lot of complaining how bad the ads are but not a lot of constructive ideas.

This isn't just for the FG either, the whole range seems to be lacking the type of advertising it deserves, the exception it would seem is the ute ads, I'm in a small town and have seen 3 FG utes on the road and thats it. Obviously that's not a definitive indication of advertising but it's an indication none the less.

So what does Ford have to do?

DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Ford will be implementing different versions of the FG ads. The will be less fingers (that was to initially capture the imagination), there will soon be a focus on other variants, ie, egas G Series.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Improve the dealer network...
Old 30-07-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Their advertising is pretty crappo.

While the fingers inspire imagination, people just want the raw facts.

The FG is rated well among reviewers, especially for quality and handling.

Holden whore the fact that they're "Australian", Toyota are perceived as a quality brand due to the fact that their cars last for ages (which is fine if you like concrete seats and a boring-as-hell interior)....Ford really need to drum in the point that they have a car that has used Audi as an interior-quality benchmark (People rarely ever question Audi quality...could it be due to the high price? - don't mention Audi directly though!), it is the best handling large car on the market - according to many reviews, and it just plain looks kickarse!, even in XT form (compared to other base models).

Even at TAFE in the past 2 weeks, the number of people that have given me a hard time due to wearing a cap with a FORD logo on it (I'm a Geelong Football Club member) is astonishing, as many people are CONVINCED that Holden produces the greatest car in the world.

I prefer to be realistic and realise that while Ford doesn't produce the greatest car in the world, bang-for-buck, it is an excellent vehicle....at least for the Falcon/G-Series.

But unfortunately, the reality of high petrol prices has turned people off large cars although they offer greater performance (probably irrelevant to many people) and safety than most other cars on the market.

So while you can improve the dealer network, improve advertising etc., it is a battle that may already be decided long before the first shot is fired.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel prices aren't stopping people buying 6 and 7L v8's....

I wish I had a v8 instead of my 6....

The "fuel prices are killing us" is blown way out of proportion.

The better car doesn't mean it will sell better, the magna fails and apparently that was better then the falcon and commodore sometimes.
Old 30-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Just advertise! Even if you don't like the finger ads it's better than nothing at all.
I rarely see a ad for any model Ford, but the TV is inudated with Holden ads for all of the models IMO
Old 30-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Id have to say that our dealerships really need to pull their finger out with quality pre deliveries and service and giving something to the customers that they don't expect (eg. full detail of your car, fill the fuel tank even a bunch of flowers or something for the ladies) we need to catch and keep our customers loyal to the brand.
Also, Toyota seem to have a hold of every kind of sport around the world and can use their racing teams in F1, Rally, paris dakar, Hill climbs, drags, etc. They show community spirit with AFL, plant a tree day and so on. You need to spend money to make money and grab some loyal good customers attention.

And sure, Our advertising department needs a kick in the Ar$3!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Even at TAFE in the past 2 weeks, the number of people that have given me a hard time due to wearing a cap with a FORD logo on it (I'm a Geelong Football Club member) is astonishing, as many people are CONVINCED that Holden produces the greatest car in the world.
Gawd I wouldn't dare wearing a Ford hat to school. Not where I live, or for that matter any school. It's this negative stigma associated with Ford, everyone today just is so surrounded by advertising they don't even know it. Hopefully Ford will be able to have a share in the brainwashing of society.
Thankfully Mr T (Osbourne) has admitted that Ford advertising is terrible and is aiming to create a brand image, rather than just release stupid ads with fingers that don't even say what the car is (WTF is a G-Series?). Hopefully these "brand building" ads will turn out something like the current Holden ones. Or alternatively we can just hope that Holden disappears so Uranium Death and I will be able to wear our hats with pride.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Get better salesmen :
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

1) Better dealer network
2) Advertise better
3) Provide innovation into the cars
4) Improve quality
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Mr FPVQLD
Starter Motor

Love the new FPV add....all about the cars.
Mr FPVQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe 'Perception', managed in four ways (look for the numbers in my rant)

Holden is perceived as a no loose purchase, as is Toyota.

Interesting to look into how Honda stepped above the other Japanese brands in Au - They don't even need to market the Acura here ! (I believe this was by guaranteeing resale, if traded)

Holden did it mainly by banging the 'Australian' Drum - loudly - for years
And by not changing the look of the car since the VN until last year - the changes, all except VN and current, have been evolutionary - keeping the same flavour, a nip, a tuck - this I believe is good for resale (BF-FG is very good here)

1) Preserving resale, and 2) Service - and 3) Bang whatever drum you can
with Service ...just improving service will not pay off for maybe 3 years.

I think a purchase option of a full service warranty could help. It does not have to be cheap, realistic. This will remove some risk for the buyer.

Holden has always been into comparative advertising (bagging the opposition, to the extent that is legal)
Every good thing that comes, up Ford should create an Ad for.

- Good Mag review
- ANCAP test
- Economy comparison
Every advantage should be taken - Even a V8 SuperCar win (Where were the Bathurst Ads last year ???? - Holden would have had them)
This means more, lower budget ads (in addition to the 'big budget' ones)

Also, I like the current advertising - sell it as a (4) family car - an economical alternative to Prado, Pajero, Kluger, Carnival.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Holden is perceived as a no loose purchase, as is Toyota.
What does that mean?
It is the opposite of a "no tight purchase"?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
azaxr8

EGOFG, i think you should get a job at ford....=) well said dude.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Improve advertising, and the sales will probably follow.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
IHolden has always been into comparative advertising (bagging the opposition, to the extent that is legal)
The latest ads from Holden saying "they go better " etc. etc. is downright misleading.

Ford needs to concentrate conveying facts in their ads, quotes from reviewers etc that are factual. Perhaps word it so to ridicule the Holden ads.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
MitchG

I also strongly agree that the dealer networks need alot of work! they should be run directly from ford, theres quite a few dealerships out there that are family run & have there own agenda, like just passing on the business to there son,daughter,brother etc, because they can, regradless of there experience & knowledge.

& It may not be a big factor, but they should also work on hiring some better mechanics with abit more passion & product loyalty, not just the average 17-18 year old know it all bong smoking commodore driver...

Last edited by MitchG; 30-07-2008 at 06:30 PM.
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #18
rodderz

There should be more advertising after the cutting of money to Triple888, DJR and Bright

It needs to change perceptions though, people aren't buying larger car's because the media has scared them off it
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Just saw a new Falcon ute ad I havent seen before. Very good.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
RATT
In a Pug..

It's all about brand perception. FG Falcon is a great car, as is Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta, Ranger etc. There is little strength in the blue oval at the moment.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #21
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen the Ford ads, I've even seen my local Ford dealers ads on TV and at the cinema. I will no doubt see many more ads in the future. Problem is until Ford replace my local dealer principal they don't mean a dam.

Answer:
Clean out the dealer network.

Do that and you fix some of the other issues Ford has at the same time - like giving people a reason to visit a Ford dealer again. A brilliant ad, won't make my local dealer any better to do business with and thats where the show stops for me. Sure I am not alone.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

a good add for the fords would be a guy in a FG XR8 doing a burnout and a lot of chicks in the background with ford bakini's! hahahaha
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I'ts rather simple yet at the same time very complicated.

Ford really need to do a good clean out and rebuild of both their marketing department, and also their dealerships and service departments. There is nothing wrong with the product, actually a lot of the product is amongst the best (think Focus, Mondeo, Falcon and Territory, all class leaders, or close to it).

Ford really need to hit the opposition hard, It's about time they hunt Holden's 'Go Better' campaign with something along the lines of, 'Ford, the original Australian car, nobodys been building cars in OZ for longer than we have!'

Truth is a lot of people either don't even consider Fords because they aren't given enough decent adertisment time in the media, or they are driven away by the incompetent dealers.

P.S. I know Not all of Ford's dealerships are as bad as some are, but there are enough of the bad eggs to have a rub on affect to the good ones.
Old 30-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
I also strongly agree that the dealer networks need alot of work! they should be run directly from ford, theres quite a few dealerships out there that are family run & have there own agenda, like just passing on the business to there son,daughter,brother etc, because they can, regradless of there experience & knowledge.
Why should Ford have to run it, it can be run independantly and still be the best in the industry. Have a look at CAT dealers, not one dealer is owned by cat but they are the best out there and the relationship between cat and the dealers is strong.
Old 30-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It still amazes me that people honestly believe TV ads determine car sales.. sure they're good for model and brand awareness which in itself is very important, but people do far more research than just via what's said on the TV.....

Last edited by 4Vman; 30-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #26
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I prefer to be realistic and realise that while Ford doesn't produce the greatest car in the world, bang-for-buck, it is an excellent vehicle....at least for the Falcon/G-Series.

But unfortunately, the reality of high petrol prices has turned people off large cars although they offer greater performance (probably irrelevant to many people) and safety than most other cars on the market.

So while you can improve the dealer network, improve advertising etc., it is a battle that may already be decided long before the first shot is fired.
Understand where you are coming from with that, but these days Ford actually has a pretty strong and competitive range, so the loss of Falcon as a big seller, does not mean it has to be bad - provided everything else is equal.

Thats the problem, a dealer network that still thinks and acts like it is 1969 and they are "one of three choices you have mate", means they are basically heading the way of Nissan Australia.

The mystery is not how to fix Ford as many people have pointed here some very constructive and often mentioned points on what can be done.

The real mystery is why, year after year, Ford Australia fail to do what inevitably has to be done if they are to survive in Australia. It's not like they have a plan B that will work. Clinging on in hope that the next big thing will finally sell in anything more then average figures and usually well below average figures as time and the gloss goes off a once new car design, isn't exactly cutting it for them.

The FG is great. Hold off two years and they will practically give you one. It won't be just because of fuel prices either - thats just making the situation worse. Ford was on a slippery slope before it became fashionable for Ford to claim selling less cars was their goal (thanks Tom) or petrol was to blame for everything.

It's get their stuff together time or get out of town. No fixing an ad is going to do. Productivity improvements and decontenting cars can only squeeze so many extra dollars of profit out of a shrinking market.

A team of legal eagles who tear up employment and franshise contracts when the need is there - followed up by a highly motivated team to turn the brand image and experience around and set performance, quality and customer experience standards that are enforcable might.

Honestly what else can they do, if they hope to survive and grow in Australia.
The new President says if I sit in a FG and drive it, I will buy it. No. I want more then that. The people who give Ford a miss and buy other brands like Mazda, Toyota, VW and Subaru etc want and expect more then that.

Fords job is to start delivering what customers and potential customers want.

Daniel
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #27
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

It wouldn't have been so bad if the ads didn't say you will be bored ****less in Fords FG so much you will running your fingers along the scenery. No passion what so ever.
Even Honda's flying dude ad says your going to have a bit of fun driving the new car.
Old 30-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
It wouldn't have been so bad if the ads didn't say you will be bored ****less in Fords FG so much you will running your fingers along the scenery. No passion what so ever.
Even Honda's flying dude ad says your going to have a bit of fun driving the new car.
Do people seriously take the ads that literally??

Old 30-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #29
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Have to agree with not understanding why so many people are focusing on the adds. The fact that you're kicking up a stink about the add means it's done its job, you're talking about Ford!

I'd never base a $40k+ purchase on the strength of an add, I value my money a lot better than that. You could give me a 1hr30min infomercial on a certain car, have it driven around by 50 different women in varying degrees of nakedness and it still wouldn't convince me that paying $40k+ for it would be a brilliant idea. I do my own independant research on any car I'm likely to consider buying.

The dealers I dealt with recently were woeful, I tried to buy a Ford from countless yards and gave up in disbelief that no-one really want to sell me a car. It's not the first time it had happened, either - when I was trying to trade my EF to an AU, same BS, ended up buying an SS. To be quite honest, I don't know if I'd bother considering a new Ford in the future based on my experience with the dealer network unless something drastically changed within it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #30
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Have to agree with not understanding why so many people are focusing on the adds. The fact that you're kicking up a stink about the add means it's done its job, you're talking about Ford!

I'd never base a $40k+ purchase on the strength of an add, I value my money a lot better than that. You could give me a 1hr30min infomercial on a certain car, have it driven around by 50 different women in varying degrees of nakedness and it still wouldn't convince me that paying $40k+ for it would be a brilliant idea. I do my own independant research on any car I'm likely to consider buying.

The dealers I dealt with recently were woeful, I tried to buy a Ford from countless yards and gave up in disbelief that no-one really want to sell me a car. It's not the first time it had happened, either - when I was trying to trade my EF to an AU, same BS, ended up buying an SS. To be quite honest, I don't know if I'd bother considering a new Ford in the future based on my experience with the dealer network unless something drastically changed within it.
Yep.. if it was that simple (or people were that simple) Ford could just come out with an ad of a Falcon and simple message across the screen:

Ford Falcon is the bestest car in the whole world and better than stinky Holdens, you must buy a Ford Falcon....

Job done. :