Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
XR4568

Thumbs up Holden 'upgrades' base Commodore V6....advantage Falcon!

So it loses power and torque, gains 0.2l/100km and retains the 4 speed slushbox. Have we a new case for the 'what were they thinking' wall?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2574DE00062E75

Holden has not abandoned its fuel economy push with the Commodore’s 3.6-litre global V6, however, announcing the immediate fitment of the “premium” version of its Alloytec V6 as standard across the Commodore range.

Announced deep within Holden’s AIMS press release, the move sees Omega and Berlina versions of the VE Commodore sedan and Sportwagon, as well as the base Holden Ute, lower their official ADR 81/02 average fuel consumption figure by between 0.2 and 0.4L/100km.

However, while the VE sedan’s official fuel consumption is reduced from 10.8 to 10.6L/100km (its average CO2 emissions similarly drop, from 256 to 252g/km), the entry-level Commodore still falls short of its key rivals in terms of fuel efficiency.

Ford’s entry-level FG Falcon XT returns 10.5L/100km with its standard five-speed automatic and 10.1L/100km with its optional six-speed ZF auto. Toyota’s Aurion V6 returns a class-leading 9.9L/100km at base level.

Meantime, the base Sportwagon models reduce their official fuel consumption figures from 11.1 to 10.7L/100km (CO2 emissions drop from 261 to 256g/km), while V6-powered Holden Utes drop a similar amount - from 11.3 to 10.9L/100km (CO2: 259 v 268g/km).

Crucially, the entry-level Holden V6 now scores the variable exhaust valve timing system of the “High Output” V6 that powers models from the Calais upwards, but it remains mated to GM’s aged four-speed automatic transmission in the Omega and Berlina (and base Ute), which also miss out on premium models’ dual exhaust system.

As such, the “recalibrated” base V6 does not share the 195kW/340Nm performance outputs of the V6 found in premium models, nor even the 180kW and 330Nm peaks of the models they replace.

In fact, with 175kW available at 6500rpm (500rpm higher than before) and 325Nm of torque on tap from 2400rpm (200rpm lower than currently), Holden’s new entry-level V6 offers 5kW and 5Nm less than it did previously.

Now on par with the Commodore’s LPG Alloytec V6, Holden’s revised base petrol V6 is now at a greater performance disadvantage when compared with the Falcon’s 190kW/383Nm 4.0-litre straight six and the Aurion’s 200kW/336Nm 3.5-litre V6, despite remaining less fuel-efficient.

XR4568 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

This can't be right, if it is it is the dumbest move ever.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
XR4568

Goauto do mention in their article that this info was buried away in the Holden SMS media release, so sounds like it is true but Holden don't want to beat their chests about it......because frankly, there is nothing to boast about!

I can understand the lack of dual exhaust, but surely the 5 speed auto should have been made stock to match Falcon in terms of refinemet and to further improve economy.

Ah well, more fool them I say..
Old 14-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All will be well, when Chrysler take charge of GM !!!!
Old 14-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

WTF!

Holden is dumb.. Why not just make the 195 kw motor standard with 5 speed auto.. They are seriously lacking, but people still buy them!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Seriously guys, it doesn't matter if it's a stupid move coz..Holdens go better ok.

Don't ask why...it's just COZ! : : :
Old 14-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
XR4568

I reckon they have tuned it to meet the ADR test too. .2 is a poofteenth better than before

Also, would have been nice for Goauto to quote FG Falcon engine figures rather than BF figures. Its the little things that annoy....
Old 14-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Well the Falcon now has 20KW more!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
XR4568

not to mention an even bigger torque advantage! Surely thats worth Ford torquing about too!
Old 14-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Seriously guys, it doesn't matter if it's a stupid move coz..Holdens go better ok.

Don't ask why...it's just COZ! : : :
Yep and because they go better, the mindless sheep will still buy them to retain the 50% higher sales than the FG.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Yep and because they go better, the mindless sheep will still buy them to retain the 50% higher sales than the FG.
they need to hold something over for the next model
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't moving to the 5 speed auto have netted similar gains while retaining (or even improving upon) performance?

Seems like a strange move...then again it really doesn't matter how much quoted power a V6 Commodore has. They're all boat anchor transport motors put in place becuase not everyone will pay for a V8 - people just want to be seen in a Commodore becuase they're awesome...

It really is insulting that Holden continue to force the old 4spd auto onto it's un-caring, ill-informed, ignorant customers. I wouldn't be as angry about getting a VE Commo company car forced upon me if they had the 5spd auto and some decent grunt (torque).
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It also looks like the V8 with AFM will drop about 10kW as well. However it will gain 1l/100km (claimed) on fuel efficiency.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

They probably have a contract with using the 4 speeds. Or it's too expensive to use another auto.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
220XR8
Banned

As low spec as they are, they will still outsell the Ford. For what reason I don't know, but to say Holden buyers are ill informed and ignorant is a bit rich as Holdens are exposed through advertising way more than Ford.

Maybe it's the Ford people who are stupid for not buying the FG in any numbers, seeing it's such a great car..
220XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220XR8
As low spec as they are, they will still outsell the Ford. For what reason I don't know, but to say Holden buyers are ill informed and ignorant is a bit rich as Holdens are exposed through advertising way more than Ford.

Maybe it's the Ford people who are stupid for not buying the FG in any numbers, seeing it's such a great car..

they are exposed to advertising that leaves out the important information so they don't really know what they're getting
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
they are exposed to advertising that leaves out the important information so they don't really know what they're getting
They're not ill informed. They're just exposed to effective advertising. Something Ford's marketing department has long been incompetent at doing.

Edit: I'm not trying to steer this thread down that argument either. It has been done to death elsewhere.

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread

Last edited by Lynch'd; 14-10-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA
Spot on Bevan!

That's my point - ill informed and ignorant. This is why they flocking to Commodore's and not even considering FG. Because if they did, they would be buying FG's.

I'll be doing a survey here shortly around this topic which may bring up some interesting results...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

They're saving $$'s and the mass market wouldn't even know the difference. It's a bean counter move pure and simple.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
220XR8
Banned

My point is if FORD people are not buying the FG what hope have they got of enticing Holden people to a better product
Old 14-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #21
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Fleet buyers and mum and dads looking for a family cruiser could probably care less about its power outputs, and those still wanting a more performance orientated 6cylinder can opt for the Calais or SV6, I doubt it will affect their sales greatly.
20kw down on the base model maybe, but they've decided that in the current climate its better that they are .1L/100km down on fuel economy rather then .3 .
Sounds ridiculous to us, but looks better for them on paper.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #22
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4568
So it loses power and torque, gains 0.2l/100km and retains the 4 speed slushbox. Have we a new case for the 'what were they thinking' wall?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2574DE00062E75

Those power and torque figures look suspiciously like the LPG version.

If they were fitting the "premium" version V6, the engine would be the 195kW lump.

I noticed that all the V8s will have cylinder deactivation come the new year.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
My point is if FORD people are not buying the FG what hope have they got of enticing Holden people to a better product

Yep, that's the third time you have told us since yesterday, we get the message.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

well if the fg is a upgrade from the ba imagine what the upgrade from the previous holden would be.
Id say there is a lot of fords being sold but i think you would find they are mostly second hand ba/bf there a many of these cars with very entinsing prices . I think that the second hand ba/bf is the fg greastest enemy.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #25
220XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
well if the fg is a upgrade from the ba imagine what the upgrade from the previous holden would be.
Id say there is a lot of fords being sold but i think you would find they are mostly second hand ba/bf there a many of these cars with very entinsing prices . I think that the second hand ba/bf is the fg greastest enemy.

I agree it's way too similar.
Old 14-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #26
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Fleet buyers and mum and dads looking for a family cruiser could probably care less about its power outputs, and those still wanting a more performance orientated 6cylinder can opt for the Calais or SV6, I doubt it will affect their sales greatly.
20kw down on the base model maybe, but they've decided that in the current climate its better that they are .1L/100km down on fuel economy rather then .3 .
Sounds ridiculous to us, but looks better for them on paper.
The article states:

Quote:
their official ADR 81/02 average fuel consumption figure by between 0.2 and 0.4L/100km
I guess that translates into a saving on their 99 cent fuel cap.
Old 14-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i have never know anyone to buy a povo pack commodore and not tick a few option boxes.
hesen't a guess that would be the same for ford buyers.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #28
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you weren't brand biased, why would you buy a six cylinder Commode over a Falcon :monkes:

Yet people will in huge numbers
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #29
Wally
XP Coupe

Manufactuer's figures aside what are the city/highway figures for the base Falcon?

I found this on the NRMA site:

Falcon: We would suggest that you can expect 9-11L/100km on the highway, and 15-17L/100km in town, from the 4.0 litre engine.

Commodore: On test we recorded a highway consumption figure of 8 litres per 100kms. On our suburban cycle the Omega returned 10.8 litre per 100 kms both excellent figures for this size vehicle.
Old 14-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #30
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
If you weren't brand biased, why would you buy a six cylinder Commode over a Falcon :monkes:

Yet people will in huge numbers
your of the opion the a motor makes the car, not the total package.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post