Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #451
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ok, what is wrong with people! Hoarding toilet paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Woollies has stopped ordering toilet paper and paper towels in large quantities now. The orders we’ve been dispatching have gone from 5-7 pallets per store per day to 2-3.

Paper towels are so over stocked it’s ridiculous. I think we have 600 pallets in stock and we aren’t supposed to be a storage facility, just cross dock.
That's the issue with corporates, they were too slow to ramp up for the demand and now they're too slow to ramp down.

That's the problem when you track lost sales by demand, you're chasing the curve upwards always behind the 8 ball then when the peak comes you're overstocked.

I'd say their category manager is going to join the unemployment queue.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #452
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Woollies has stopped ordering toilet paper and paper towels in large quantities now. The orders we’ve been dispatching have gone from 5-7 pallets per store per day to 2-3.

Paper towels are so over stocked it’s ridiculous. I think we have 600 pallets in stock and we aren’t supposed to be a storage facility, just cross dock.
and yet we keep transporting it
and in 48' containers
that 44 pallets a container
and we do a fair few a day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet.jpg (16.5 KB, 35 views)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #453
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
and yet we keep transporting it
and in 48' containers
that 44 pallets a container
and we do a fair few a day

Ours have been coming by double, 70 odd pallets at a time. We are only for overflow so I’d hate to see what the dc looks like.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #454
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Oh noes I have caught the hoarding disease !!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #455
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's the issue with corporates, they were too slow to ramp up for the demand and now they're too slow to ramp down.
I think you are being a bit harsh there. When the plague of locus descends, there is very little one can do (except ration).

A neighbour works in a major chemist chain. They normally sell 300 asthma puffers per month. Then the rumours started, and next they were selling a 1000 asthma puffers per week. They were completely cleaned out and resupply date is unknown. Ditto with kids Panadol.

I think the trouble is that these days, we are used to being able to go to the shop and get what we want. Don’t want to dive down to the shop, just uber it! Pre-2020, if anyone admitted to having even a small stockpile, they were mocked as “a prepper”. Because households don’t have any buffer stock, they are “close coupled” to their local shop. Which in turn runs a very lean, just in time, supply chain.

Lesson to current generation, have a stockpile of non-perishable items at home.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #456
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

https://daily.jstor.org/your-brain-e...rs-doing-same/

Quote:
The word “hoarding” might bring to mind relatives or neighbors whose houses are overfilled with junk. A small percentage of people do suffer from what psychologists call “hoarding disorder,” keeping excessive goods to the point of distress and impairment.

But hoarding is actually a totally normal and adaptive behavior that kicks in any time there is an uneven supply of resources. Everyone hoards, even during the best of times, without even thinking about it. People like to have beans in the pantry, money in savings and chocolates hidden from the children. These are all hoards.

Most Americans have had so much, for so long. People forget that, not so long ago, survival often depended on working tirelessly all year to fill root cellars so a family could last through a long, cold winter – and still many died.

Similarly, squirrels work all fall to hide nuts to eat for the rest of the year. Kangaroo rats in the desert hide seeds the few times it rains and then remember where they put them to dig them back up later. A Clark’s nutcracker can hoard over 10,000 pine seeds per fall – and even remember where it put them.

Similarities between human behavior and these animals’ are not just analogies. They reflect a deeply ingrained capacity for brains to motivate us to acquire and save resources that may not always be there. Suffering from hoarding disorder, stockpiling in a pandemic or hiding nuts in the fall – all of these behaviors are motivated less by logic and more by a deeply felt drive to feel safer.

My colleagues and I have found that stress seems to signal the brain to switch into “get hoarding” mode. For example, a kangaroo rat will act very lazy if fed regularly. But if its weight starts to drop, its brain signals to release stress hormones that incite the fastidious hiding of seeds all over the cage.

Kangaroo rats will also increase their hoarding if a neighboring animal steals from them. Once, I returned to the lab to find the victim of theft with all his remaining food stuffed into his cheek pouches — the only safe place.

People do the same. If in our lab studies my colleagues and I make them feel anxious, our study subjects want to take more stuff home with them afterward.

Demonstrating this shared inheritance, the same brain areas are active when people decide to take home toilet paper, bottled water or granola bars, as when rats store lab chow under their bedding – the orbitofrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens, regions that generally help organize goals and motivations to satisfy needs and desires.

Damage to this system can even induce abnormal hoarding. One man who suffered frontal lobe damage had a sudden urge to hoard bullets. Another could not stop “borrowing” others’ cars. Brains across species use these ancient neural systems to ensure access to needed items – or ones that feel necessary.

So, when the news induces a panic that stores are running out of food, or that residents will be trapped in place for weeks, the brain is programmed to stock up. It makes you feel safer, less stressed, and actually protects you in an emergency.
More than a fair share

At the same time they’re organizing their own stockpiles, people get upset about those who are taking too much. That is a legitimate concern; it’s a version of the “tragedy of the commons,” wherein a public resource might be sustainable, but people’s tendency to take a little extra for themselves degrades the resource to the point where it can no longer help anyone.

By shaming others on social media, for instance, people exert what little influence they have to ensure cooperation with the group. As a social species, human beings thrive when they work together, and have employed shaming – even punishment – for millennia to ensure that everyone acts in the best interest of the group.

And it works. Twitter users went after a guy reported to have hoarded 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer in the hopes of turning a profit; he ended up donating all of it and is under investigation for price gouging. Who wouldn’t pause before grabbing those last few rolls of TP when the mob is watching?

People will continue to hoard to the extent that they are worried. They will also continue to shame others who take more than what they consider a fair share. Both are normal and adaptive behaviors that evolved to balance one another out, in the long run.

But that’s cold comfort for someone on the losing end of a temporary imbalance – like a health care worker who did not have protective gear when they encountered a sick patient. The survival of the group hardly matters to the person who dies, or to their parent, child or friend.

One thing to remember is that the news selectively depicts stockpiling stories, presenting audiences with the most shocking cases. Most people are not charging $400 for a mask. Most are just trying to protect themselves and their families, the best way they know how, while also offering aid wherever they can. That’s how the human species evolved, to get through challenges like this together.

This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #457
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I note the hoarders opposite one of my jobs are still shopping. Kind of wondering where they are stashing it, given they’ve chocked their double garage.

Bunnings still seem low on metal fuel cans.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #458
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bunnings are crazy busy. There were large social distanced lines to the registers yesterday. We left
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #459
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thanks for confirming what I feared. :-(

I have to go in there today, most likely. Got a range hood install that requires re-making the top cabinet and I haven’t quite enough of those push-on screw caps. In other circumstances I’d just come back another day for these, but I understand my clients’ desire to have it done and dusted so they can spray the whole kitchen down with carbolic (or whatever) once I’m out of their space.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #460
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Thanks for confirming what I feared. :-(

I have to go in there today, most likely. Got a range hood install that requires re-making the top cabinet and I haven’t quite enough of those push-on screw caps. In other circumstances I’d just come back another day for these, but I understand my clients’ desire to have it done and dusted so they can spray the whole kitchen down with carbolic (or whatever) once I’m out of their space.
Take a packed lunch, you'll probably need it standing in line waiting to get in
Old 12-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #461
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Noticed the supermarket is now way overstocked with toilet paper. By the time the extra supplies got in the demand had dropped off. Now they are facing the other side of the hill where people are overstocked and won’t need to buy anymore for ages. They will probably have to stop production till the excess stock goes. Just shows how freaking stupid the whole thing was. If people just bought tp as normal there would never have been any supply problems. Can people really be this stupid?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #462
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Yeah where is the sausage tent when you really need it.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #463
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

-------
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #464
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Noticed the supermarket is now way overstocked with toilet paper. By the time the extra supplies got in the demand had dropped off. Now they are facing the other side of the hill where people are overstocked and won’t need to buy anymore for ages. They will probably have to stop production till the excess stock goes. Just shows how freaking stupid the whole thing was. If people just bought tp as normal there would never have been any supply problems. Can people really be this stupid?
Yes, and often
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #465
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
lol think ill take my next door neighbor up on his offer to acquire anything i meed from bunnings at his discounted rate as he works there and can bring it home for me

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #466
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This weeks haul. And yes, the toilet paper shelves were just about full.

I'm starting to notice certain things are coming back into stock.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #467
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Bunnings are crazy busy. There were large social distanced lines to the registers yesterday. We left
was a ghost town here at my local bunnings in Adelaide
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #468
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Shelves are still pretty bare in my local Aldi.

Pasta comes and goes, today they had (for the first time I’ve seen it in some weeks) their budget laundry liquid. Most was already bought.

Paper products well down, a pitiable array of bruised tissue boxes about all.

Clientele looked more of the usual crowd; an engaging mix of backgrounds, demeanour and couture. Staff looked happier.
Old 13-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #469
MercuryT
Banned

I'm hoarding Nippys Strawberry milk.

A shortage there and I'm done for......
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #470
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Noticed the supermarket is now way overstocked with toilet paper.
Not in my neck of the woods where bears do what they do in the woods. Dunny rolls are as plentiful as rocking horse ****.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #471
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Can’t get a pallet off nstig8a? He was kvetching about the excess they had at work.
Old 13-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #472
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My local Bunnings Saturday morning had a line up to get in from one end of the carpark to the other, pharkk that, I left. Went back Sunday with no line up, but needed some cable ties, got to the aisle, max 4 people permitted...... 4 people were standing there scratching their *** not actively buying anything, waiting,waiting,waiting, pharkk it again, walked straight through and grabbed what I wanted.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #473
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gunning's exposure for what, cable ties? :-(
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #474
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Item 1 is somewhat familiar!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....eamed-ussr/amp
Old 13-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #475
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the late 50s I was using a pen and ink, all the desks had a hole in them to take the inkwell.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #476
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

My mother (in the UK) had the same stories, plus junior classes weren’t segregated and the boys would furtively dip the girls’ plaits into the inkwells.

Konfetka has the most beautiful Soviet-era cursive hand, even when she writes in English. I have perpetual envy.
Old 14-04-2020, 12:05 AM   #477
.:4:.
Kicking back

I went to my local iga today. Still no bog rolls. Not really an issue for me. I have 8 left. Thats about 2 years worth for a single male living alone. Speaking to my kid, his mum theives rolls from work. But its industrial 80 grit.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #478
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Wrong... bog roll from work is smooth as
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #479
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Double blind test required for verification.
Old 18-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #480
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I now have 1000 rolls , that should be enough.......

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post