Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
1falconer1
Starter Motor

Default Smelly ride!

Got a 1999 AU Classic dual fuel with 185K on it. Had a few overheating problems some time ago that have been overcome. Now even a short drive produces a strong bad smell - certainly not rubber or oil. Thought it may be LPG related but there are no leaks.
Could a residue of coolant from aforementioned overheating cause the acrid smell if it got on the exhaust system? The overheating problem was 6 months or more ago, but the smell hasn't lessened in time.
Any ideas guys?

1falconer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1falconer1
Got a 1999 AU Classic dual fuel with 185K on it. Had a few overheating problems some time ago that have been overcome. Now even a short drive produces a strong bad smell - certainly not rubber or oil. Thought it may be LPG related but there are no leaks.
Could a residue of coolant from aforementioned overheating cause the acrid smell if it got on the exhaust system? The overheating problem was 6 months or more ago, but the smell hasn't lessened in time.
Any ideas guys?
Not sure, but perhaps check the exhaust for stains. That might give you a clue if the issue is what you're suspecting.

For some reason though, I keep thinking of your cat. I know I'll probably be shot down for even suggesting it, but it just sort of popped into my head, so what the hey, I'll mention it! LOL!

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Let us know how you go.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it like a strong petrol smell as i got the same smell from using e10 and it burnt my cat out and it was very strong cheers

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
1falconer1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
is it like a strong petrol smell as i got the same smell from using e10 and it burnt my cat out and it was very strong cheers
Not a petrol smell. More like a bad cheese type of thing but REALLY strong with burning thrown in for good measure.
Very difficult to describe a smell isn't it?
If it wasn't for the fact that we don't have a cat (Pussy variety) I WOULD suspect it of ****ing on the exhast manifold.
The engine really doesn't have time to heat up, so mayne the exhaust manifold could be the source?

Any more ideas guys?
Old 13-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
1falconer1
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
Not a petrol smell. More like a bad cheese type of thing but REALLY strong with burning thrown in for good measure.
Very difficult to describe a smell isn't it?
If it wasn't for the fact that we don't have a cat (Pussy variety) I WOULD suspect it of ****ing on the exhast manifold.
The engine really doesn't have time to heat up, so maybe the exhaust manifold could be the source?

Any more ideas guys?
Old 13-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dead cat converter. does it sort of smell a bit like really bad rotten eggs? sulphur? it's cause the cat hasn't warmed up properly normally. you will find if you go for a sedate drive and warm the car up slowly, then give it some for a few minutes you get this smell...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
dead cat converter. does it sort of smell a bit like really bad rotten eggs? sulphur? it's cause the cat hasn't warmed up properly normally. you will find if you go for a sedate drive and warm the car up slowly, then give it some for a few minutes you get this smell...
Cat = catalytic converter! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lmao, i know what you mean. he thought it was an actual cat...

i was just agreeing with you, that's all, lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
1falconer1
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info - perhaps the cat could be dead. I have to say that I don't flog the AU - I warm it up slowly. But there is a short steep hill up to my place and the smell does seem to be worse when I get home rather than anywhere else.

No I didn't think he meant a real cat - a joke, see? OK maybe I was the only one that got it, but it was still a joke! LOL

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 14-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

LOL!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Meow!