Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
losfp

Default New Focus - when will it be available?

Has anyone actually had the opportunity to test drive one of the new Focuseses in Sydney? I'd been doing my research the last couple of weeks and got myself all psyched up to test drive one... except my local dealer hasn't got one in, and the ford website seems to say they will be available in "early july". I'd previously heard mid june or late june.

Was hoping to test one against a Mazda3 on Monday

losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Mick K.

Have been hassling a few Ford dealers in Brisbane on this matter too. Their initial story was that the ship was supposed to be here by 28th June, but now they say first week of July.

Hopefully I can get a look / test drive next week.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'm waiting eagerly aswell,but there not at my dealer yet?????.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I'm waiting eagerly aswell,but there not at my dealer yet?????.
Same here damn it. They said this week but nothing yet_
Old 30-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're probably holding off trying to sell the old stocks still. ;)
Old 30-06-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Denmac in Brisbane had the old LX Sedan and Hatch (manual) for $17,990 driveaway, 18 June!!! Dont know if they sold any. But that was an Awesome price.

If they are that keen on pricing, Its all good!

I tried them for a Test drive, but they didnt have any in, on 24 June.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They're supposed to be due into Dealerships over the next couple of weeks guys, not far off at all. Dealers aren't playing games, they're as keen as you are to get the cars trust me! Not far off, coming through the counrty now, clearing customs etc. WORTH THE WAIT I assure you! Done over 1600km in 2 new Foci and they are simply stunning to drive, just a very well balanced package in every way. I know it's hard to wait, but you'd kick yourself if you didn't once you actually get to drive one!!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
losfp

Thanks for the update, zetec!

It's just the usual wait between "want" and "get". It's never really that long, just feels like it
Old 01-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

I got my early fix while in the UK in April......the new Zetec over there looks very smart on the road....
Old 04-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Nic
Starter Motor

Saw a new charcoal grey Zetec on the road this morning in Melbourne, with NSW plates. Sorry for staring whoever you were
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yup, the drive and photos Zetec and I took of my Focus with the new ones (which are actually the pics Tim has listed on eurofordclub.com) were great. Really nice car to drive in, even if the driver cant quite get his gearshift right eh Matt?! : 4:
Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
losfp

Hahaha - They must be sharing them around. This morning I test drove a titanium grey zetec in Sydney with VIC plates!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losfp
Hahaha - They must be sharing them around. This morning I test drove a titanium grey zetec in Sydney with VIC plates!
And what were your thoughts?!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
And what were your thoughts?!
I liked it! Test drove both the Focus and the Mazda3 back to back. The 3 feels a bit more sporty and urgent, and the Focus is a bit more refined - I guess another way you can put it is that in the Mazda3, you're more aware of the car around you, whereas the Focus seems to just blend into the driving experience. Each will suit different priorities.

Both great cars though. Lots of grunt, very responsive and nimble. Was a shame to get back into our early 90s Barina and drive away from the dealerships
Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losfp
I liked it! Test drove both the Focus and the Mazda3 back to back. The 3 feels a bit more sporty and urgent, and the Focus is a bit more refined - I guess another way you can put it is that in the Mazda3, you're more aware of the car around you, whereas the Focus seems to just blend into the driving experience. Each will suit different priorities.

Both great cars though. Lots of grunt, very responsive and nimble. Was a shame to get back into our early 90s Barina and drive away from the dealerships
So which one are you getting? Or were you just interested in a comparison?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Yup, the drive and photos Zetec and I took of my Focus with the new ones (which are actually the pics Tim has listed on eurofordclub.com) were great. Really nice car to drive in, even if the driver cant quite get his gearshift right eh Matt?! : 4:
I have somewhat more experience in my car, I'd only done highway kilometres up until I met you in Albury!! ha ha ha, besides, you and Gary killed the Power to Weight ratio. Too much damn KFC. :nutsycuck
Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 PM   #17
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
So which one are you getting? Or were you just interested in a comparison?
They're both pretty damn close. I think I am leaning towards the Focus, but it may come down to which one I can get the better deal for, or whether one is available now or in 3 months.... Damn waiting periods..
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You know you want the Focus...
Old 05-07-2005, 01:37 AM   #19
kpdrmn

i just stumbled on this site and i noticed a awhile back you were talking about the BARINAS.... all i have to say on that one is that i have a barina SRI and i tell you its a blody rocket, well mine is a little better then the standard SRI.... but even standard they are the best little car to drive....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 02:20 AM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrmn
i just stumbled on this site and i noticed a awhile back you were talking about the BARINAS.... all i have to say on that one is that i have a barina SRI and i tell you its a blody rocket, well mine is a little better then the standard SRI.... but even standard they are the best little car to drive....
welcome... what brings you to the site? Got any pics? (shhhh, i know its not a ford, but Barina SRi is a nice car) Is it 2004 mod?

Old 05-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #21
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrmn
Well, we have a 1991 (or maybe 1992) model Barina, and I can assure you that it DOESN'T drive like a rocket I went and looked up the specs, it is pumping out an awesome 50Kw of power, which makes negotiating hills a bit of a problem if you have more than one person in the car....

That's why we're looking at new cars!!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

LOL losfp. Kpdrmn has a Barina SRi... that pumps out 92kw from a 1.8L... it should drive like a rocket!

Old 05-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #23
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
They're supposed to be due into Dealerships over the next couple of weeks guys, not far off at all. Dealers aren't playing games, they're as keen as you are to get the cars trust me! Not far off, coming through the counrty now, clearing customs etc. WORTH THE WAIT I assure you! Done over 1600km in 2 new Foci and they are simply stunning to drive, just a very well balanced package in every way. I know it's hard to wait, but you'd kick yourself if you didn't once you actually get to drive one!!

Spot on Matt.

We are getting our first one this week. And it's a Zetec! mmm.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #24
losfp

Sounds like they are starting to filter into dealerships now.. Also sounds like I will be lucky to get much off the price... between that and the immovable object that is the Mazda3 price, I might be out of luck trying to find a good deal!!

argh.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:43 AM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I reckon you have a better chance at a Ford Dealer though, bit of the old slash n burn.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, i think you have a better chance at Ford as well... If you think about it, sure its a new car and ppl do want one, but Ford also want to sell as many as possible and get their sales up. Mazda on the other hand already have more demand then supply, and long waiting lists, so they have no shortage of buyers!

Old 07-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #27
losfp

Well, we must either suck rather badly at bargaining, or there are just no discounts going around for this model yet!

The best that I have been able to conjure up so far is $27,000 driveaway for an auto CL sedan w/ safety pack - which retails at $24,180 (floor mats thrown in). Now, I might be a bit hazy on the vagaries of stamp duty, dealer delivery etc, but surely that's not that far off list price?

Has anyone had any luck getting a good deal on this new model, or is it just my bad luck for liking popular, new, hard to find cars???
Old 07-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #28
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Trouble is boys, the dealers are only just getting a trickle of stock, and there'll be lots of punters willing to pay full price to be one of the first to own.

I don't think you'll see any discounting until a dealer has some stock sitting around, burning a hole in their floorplan, or if there is some sort of dealer competition on, and dealers need to shift pure numbers in order to meet a (month end) target.

Trouble is, the June market was an all time record, and dealers have had a very profitable month. Why should they give money away on a brand new model?

On the other hand......if you want to buy a superseded model, I think a dealer will throw money at you. Thy're the ones they want to see the back off, cos it will have been sitting in stock for many months, and burning up money
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

I don't think you'll see any discounting until a dealer has some stock sitting around, burning a hole in their floorplan, or if there is some sort of dealer competition on, and dealers need to shift pure numbers in order to meet a (month end) target.

Trouble is, the June market was an all time record, and dealers have had a very profitable month. Why should they give money away on a brand new model?
Spot on. The hype and anticipation for the new model is HUGE, of course theyre going to cash in on it. Find me an example of a new car where they have offered good discounts anyway, it seldom happens.

Agreed on the old model too - they will give your enormous incentive to buy them over the new one. I know my dealers has at least 6 old model sedans sitting there which are down to about $17,000 now.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #30
whippet_zetec
Supes

my bit: you will have no chance getting any sort of decent discount on the "NEW" Focus models, supply and demand will dictate that dealers will get the prices that are listed without any worries and I would think this will continue for at least 6 months.

You want a bargain, go for the older style that is on runout, you will be very suprised at the price you will pick up a Zetec for.... ;)