Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Sonik
Banned

Default Driving without rego to get pinkslip?

Is it illegal to drive without registration to the nearest mechanic that does pink slips? I assume so since 3rd party is void when unregistered.

Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what state are you in?
*** For Sale *** Red Flame Auto Allan Moffat Special #280
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Sonik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams77
what state are you in?
NSW, forgot to mention.
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
Is it illegal to drive without registration to the nearest mechanic that does pink slips? I assume so since 3rd party is void when unregistered.
Death penaly (twice).

Get a day permit.

If you decide to just risk it and get hit by an idiot who is speeding while running a red light backwards. YOU will be at fault and liable for all his costs and if someone is hurt or dies you get to spend a long time in a really really cheap hotel with a big hairy new friend.....

DO NOT DO IT.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
HOEBAG
Banned

^^^ what he said
and then the media comes into it
*reckless driver with unregistered car kills family*

Last edited by jim_reaper; 28-06-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add:
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Oh dear the armchair lawyers are at it again

In NSW you can quite legally drive an unregistered vehicle to a garage/weighbridge/RTA office as long as it's for the purpose of registration.
Old 28-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

In NSW you can quite legally drive an unregistered vehicle to a garage/weighbridge/RTA office as long as it's for the purpose of registration.
I know some people used to put a cardboard sign in/on their vehicle that said TRAFFIC. Wether this covered them or not I don't know but I have seen a couple do it. But I do believe you are right. I did it on my motorbike when I used to live in Newcastle.
Old 28-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

I believe that "TRAFFIC" used to mean something in the road rules, nowadays it only lets other motorists know that you don't have plates.

You can drive your unregistered vehicle for the purpose of getting it registered or to get it repaired AND registered. BUT you still need CTP insurance. As flappist said if you are involved in an accident and someone sues, then you won't have your unregistered car for long. Or your house, bicycle, lounge...

DEFINATELY get CTP insurance, and let the company know what you're doing, and to cover your bum, get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit from the RTA.
Old 28-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
BAWagonWheels

You can still obtain a CTP Greenslip using the VIN number of the car, that's until you get the car registered. Best to get your CTP covered before your move the car onto public roads. Once you know your rego plate number then you can advise your CTP provider the rego details of the car.
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWagonWheels
You can still obtain a CTP Greenslip using the VIN number of the car, that's until you get the car registered. Best to get your CTP covered before your move the car onto public roads. Once you know your rego plate number then you can advise your CTP provider the rego details of the car.
This is correct. CTP can be obtained with no rego plates. Once your car is registered they just update their system and issue you with updated paperwork showing your newly obtained plates.

As for full insurance? Have no clue regarding that.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

CTP and at least third party insurance if you have an accident..
It MUST be booked in at garage or your in do do if your caught...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

get an unreg vehicle permit, 25$ done and dusted
Old 29-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
CTP and at least third party insurance if you have an accident..
It MUST be booked in at garage or your in do do if your caught...
Exactly. This is what the local constabularly told me to do when I had to do a rego for a car that had out of been rego for ten years. I went in to arrange a permit, but they told me as long as the car is booked in for a blue or green slip, and I was driving the car directly there, and then to the RTA to pick up the plates if it passed, the permit was unecessary and a waste of money. The idea is if you pulled over, they will ring the garage where you are taking the car, to confirm that you are indeed booked in for rego. If you are, no problem. If not, then you will get the obligitory fines. 'Traffic' signs on the car no longer mean squat, and they have no idea why people insist on using them.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

This is correct. Around 7 years ago when I was getting a blue slip done on my Mustang. I had to get the car weighed as it was its first rego in NSW. I left the place I was getting my blue slip done, to get the car weighed. I was pulled over by the police and explained what I was doing. They let me go with that but booked me for not have a caution LHD sticker/notice on the back of my car. I also got nailed for the same offence on the way back to the mechanic who was doing my blue slip, by a different copper. I even explained that the RTA stated it was not compulsory to have the sticker and I still got nailed.

Oh and I did not use a traffic plate on the car either.

I agree with a few other here, book the car in just to cover your butt.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
Dezaman

this is a tough question because as mark said even if the cops are wrong and the laws on your side they can still book you, some cops will let you go and some wont but i will tell you without a doubt that i rang the rta not to long ago and tried to get a permit and they told me just to drive it, honest to god it was a bloke workin at there call centre, but if the cop doesnt know that and just thinks your an idiot he can drop down a thousand dollar fine (500 for being unregistered 500 for being uninsured and thats a whole lot more expensive then a 50 dollar temp ticket)
Dezaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
james22
With da Warlords

Perfectly legal in NSW. As long as you are going DIRECTLY to and from the point of inspection, registration and insurance. Its even written on your rego papers I believe. If you are caught anywhere else it'll cost you about $1200 all up, as a friend found out the hard way hahah .

But yeah, its cool, as long as its booked in.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
simple2873
Starter Motor

RTA have a booklet in their offices,(for free surprisingly!), that has all of this info written in plain English. I carry one eveytime i'm blue or pink slipping cars just in case the coppers pull me over.
simple2873 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

if you DO NOT have a pink as yet and out of rego have it towed on a trailer or youse lube mobile.
using traffic is a $1500 offence + $2500 for diving an unregisterd/uninsured vehile.
you are NOT coverd with a ctp, they are only in effect with a registered vehicle.
it is permisable to go to the rta if you already have a pink slip
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #19
MrEL
Sick Puppy

To get an unregistered vehicle permit in NSW you first have to have a pink slip done. Which means you still have to drive it to get the slip done anyway.
Its perfectly legal to drive an unrego car in NSW for the purpose of obtaining repairs and registration. Just be booked into the workshop it is going to and write yourself a letter to keep in the glovebox stating what time its booked in to and where it is. Is has to be the closest , practicle place to the location of the vehicle and driven by the shortest route.
Yes you wont have CTP or insurance but that is a calculated risk.
It certainly isnt illegal to do it in NSW. But if you nip into the shops to get bread and milk on the way home from the inspection without rego it is a different story.
No matter what but do not put plates on the car if the rego is more then 3 months out of date. Driving unregistered to get rego isnt illegal but plates to deceive is very illegal.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is your catch 22 to get an unregistered permit in nsw you need an inspection and you need to drive it to get it if you are only driving to get the pink slip in nsw and to the nearest inspection station it is legal but you must have a pre booked appointment to prove what you were doing. and no use just getting a green slip as if you read tyhe fine print the green slip is not valid untill the registration is paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
I believe that "TRAFFIC" used to mean something in the road rules, nowadays it only lets other motorists know that you don't have plates.

You can drive your unregistered vehicle for the purpose of getting it registered or to get it repaired AND registered. BUT you still need CTP insurance. As flappist said if you are involved in an accident and someone sues, then you won't have your unregistered car for long. Or your house, bicycle, lounge...

DEFINATELY get CTP insurance, and let the company know what you're doing, and to cover your bum, get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit from the RTA.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #21
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk about armchair experts. Some good info in the thread, but really a lot of absolute garbage as well which clutters the thread up and will confuse the hell out of the op.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ed.html?rlid=2
In a nutshell:
Unregistered motor vehicles can be driven for the purpose of obtaining registration by the most direct route:
to the nearest motor registry
snip
to the nearest convenient location for any purpose directly associated with the registration process

Nowhere does it say you have to book in at the mechanics, put traffic plates on or any of the other incorrect info in this thread.

To the op: reaad the page I linked. That is from the RTA website and lists everything you need to know.
btw, do not detour from the direct route or you will be booked if caught
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
Talk about armchair experts.
Nowhere does it say you have to book in at the mechanics, put traffic plates on or any of the other incorrect info in this thread.
although it doesn't say this ask any cop and they will tell you to take this precaution, so it's not " armchair experts" as you so arrogantly put it but sensible advice to keep the cops happy . it may be true that there is no legal requirement to do this but if you don't then you run the risk of being booked if the cop doesn't belive you, it is true that you will get off in court but what a drama when all you had to do was book in. it is ultimatly up to you to prove you are driving the car lawfully and being booked in is a good way to do this

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
although it doesn't say this ask any cop and they will tell you to take this precaution, so it's not " armchair experts" as you so arrogantly put it but sensible advice to keep the cops happy . it may be true that there is no legal requirement to do this but if you don't then you run the risk of being booked if the cop doesn't belive you, it is true that you will get off in court but what a drama when all you had to do was book in. it is ultimatly up to you to prove you are driving the car lawfully and being booked in is a good way to do this
'scuse me. I used that 'arrogant phrase' as well.

ANY HP copper worth his salt will know the rules, if he doesn't take a printout from the RTA's web page with you and tell him that you'll see him in court.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

pretty sure a 48 hour permit for an unrego's car in wa is around 12$. not worth the risk driving qithout some sort or permit imo.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just dont attract any unwanted attention and u'll be fine.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #26
farah9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
To get an unregistered vehicle permit in NSW you first have to have a pink slip done. Which means you still have to drive it to get the slip done anyway.
Its perfectly legal to drive an unrego car in NSW for the purpose of obtaining repairs and registration. Just be booked into the workshop it is going to and write yourself a letter to keep in the glovebox stating what time its booked in to and where it is. Is has to be the closest , practicle place to the location of the vehicle and driven by the shortest route.
Yes you wont have CTP or insurance but that is a calculated risk.
It certainly isnt illegal to do it in NSW. But if you nip into the shops to get bread and milk on the way home from the inspection without rego it is a different story.
No matter what but do not put plates on the car if the rego is more then 3 months out of date. Driving unregistered to get rego isnt illegal but plates to deceive is very illegal.
Yeah, I was told to have a letter of intent on me just to be on the safe side, that was a few years ago but these rules seem to change all the time.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Talk about armchair experts. Some good info in the thread, but really a lot of absolute garbage as well which clutters the thread up and will confuse the hell out of the op.
In a nutshell:
Unregistered motor vehicles can be driven for the purpose of obtaining registration by the most direct route:
snip
to the nearest convenient location for any purpose directly associated with the registration process

To the op: reaad the page I linked. That is from the RTA website and lists everything you need to know.
that's all well and good "but" he is not going to the RTA, must aquire a pink slip first.
safest to call lube mobile or similar and have it done in your driveway.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Oh dear....

lifted directly from the NSW RTA's web site.....http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ed.html?rlid=2

Unregistered vehicles can be driven for the purpose of obtaining registration by the most direct or convenient route:
to the nearest convenient motor registry, or

to the nearest convenient vehicle inspection station or authorised inspection station to determine whether the vehicle complies with the applicable vehicle standards, or

in the course of inspecting or testing the vehicle to determine if it complies with the applicable vehicle standards, or

to the nearest practicable weighbridge to determine the weight of the vehicle, or

from a motor registry or inspection station where the registration of the vehicle has been refused, to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs can be made or where the vehicle can be garaged, unless a direction has been issued that the vehicle must not be driven before the necessary repairs have been made, or

from an authorised inspection station to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs or adjustments can be made or where the vehicle can be garaged, or

to the nearest convenient office of a licensed insurer for the purpose of obtaining Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance, or

to the nearest convenient location for any other purpose directly associated with the registration process.

If you are caught driving an unregistered vehicle on any other route, you will be fined and police may remove the vehicle's number plates on the spot or they may seize the vehicle.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #29
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
In a nutshell:
snip

yep appologies still trying to view the page.
gasolane posted quicker than i DL
Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #30
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
When the information is available on the rta website and is easily found all the "well meaning, my brother said, a cop said,I did, etc etc" advice being posted is a waste of everyone's time. All it takes is for the op to search, or even one of the first few posters to link to it. Now if you take what I said as arrogant, tuff. Sensible or not, most of the advice is not going to make things easier and in some instances the op would open themself up to a number plate calculated to deceive charge, and no amount of pleading "I got this answer off an internet forum" is going to help. One thing the NSW rta is good for is a decent website that answers a majority of questions. Don't use it at your peril.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post