Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
petalforly
Starter Motor

Default Need help choosing new Rims & Tires. [FORD Fiesta Zetec 2009]

Hello all.
I am looking for some advice on selecting a new set of rims + tires for my car. I was looking at around $1000 or so for a new set. One of the current wheels has busted, they are quite expensive to replace individually, so I figure might be time for a new set anyway.

Car: FORD FIESTA ZETEC 2009
Current Rims: 16inch. Not sure of the specifics can not find any markings on them.
Current Tires: 195/45 R16

I really have no idea how to choose new tires and rims, and wanted to check if any knowledgeable people may be able to offer some suggestions.

Thanks so much for your time.

petalforly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Need help choosing new Rims & Tires. [FORD Fiesta Zetec 2009]

Are you happy with the ride on the current ones? If you go larger wheel size, you'll end up with lower profile tyres, which will ride a little harder.

Personally, I'd stick with your current size wheels and tyres: they're a good compromise between looks and ride comfort. I'm fairly sure they're the size that comes standard with the Fiesta Zetec. They should be 4x108 stud pattern. Bob Jane has some reasonable packages from time to time, but you need to work out what style you want.

I've got some CSA wheels which are available reasonably cheaply.

http://www.csadirect.com.au/fitment-...taBankCat1Id=2

You would be lucky to get a new set of tyres and rims for that money, but you might get a nice set of second-hand ones. Actually, you might even be able to pick up an individual wheel on e-bay reasonably cheap. Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Fiesta-Zetec-2009-Mag-Wheel-Tyre-/251097359560?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item 3a7691a4c8#ht_500wt_1202

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
petalforly
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Are you happy with the ride on the current ones? If you go larger wheel size, you'll end up with lower profile tyres, which will ride a little harder.

Personally, I'd stick with your current size wheels and tyres: they're a good compromise between looks and ride comfort. I'm fairly sure they're the size that comes standard with the Fiesta Zetec. They should be 4x108 stud pattern. Bob Jane has some reasonable packages from time to time, but you need to work out what style you want.

I've got some CSA wheels which are available reasonably cheaply.

http://www.csadirect.com.au/fitment-...taBankCat1Id=2

You would be lucky to get a new set of tyres and rims for that money, but you might get a nice set of second-hand ones. Actually, you might even be able to pick up an individual wheel on e-bay reasonably cheap. Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Fiesta-Zetec-2009-Mag-Wheel-Tyre-/251097359560?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item 3a7691a4c8#ht_500wt_1202

Hi, thank you so much for the reply.

Oh I was looking at a site before and thought the price of rims start at around $80 each. Not too fussed if it comes to cost a bit more. Just looking to lower the cost price for new ones for future replacements. And also, if another style is more readily available might make finding replacements easier.

The current ones are like $800 each just for one rim, new. Buying the second hand ones was my first idea, to replace the broken rim, but I live remotely so harder to find sellers in my area. But now, I like the idea of a new set, it might be time for a new tires anyway.

This was actually the second rim that has broken down on me. The first one was a dent, and I was able to get that remolded into shape. Couldn't get it done locally, but found a place online that I could post it to. This time a hole blew right through both the tire and the rim. I noticed when it happened and am certain there were no potholes, maybe it was a rock. Had 3 wheels bust and 2 rims.... Not having much luck with these.

Yes, I like the ride in these ones, but honestly I don't think I've really noticed that type of thing, or have no comparison. Only now realising there are such differences and some make more noise?

I think the car came with 15'' but I upgraded to 16''. I think I will stick with 16''. Just trying to get my head around the choice, and the right fit. Would love if there were a site that narrowed what rims fit my car- there was an american site/store that had this feature, but not for my 2009 model.

I was just thinking maybe I should just look for some well reviewed rims and tires that others are happy with then work out if they fit my car and go from there! I not sure I will get very far if I look too much into the size and fit first, since it's just so confusing to me.

"They should be 4x108 stud pattern.."

Thanks for that . And thanks for the links.

I am going to start doing some research on rim reviews now and see how I go and I will look into the ones you linked.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
petalforly
Starter Motor

The CSA Sword and Amp are the only 16''. Found a site stating the Sword is ~$210 ea. If that's right, much better then the $800 for my current ones...

Well can't find any sites that review different rims, nor discussions on which are better quality, not getting anywhere. I just started looking into tires and so much easier to find reviews and comparisons on them which gives me some direction. I'm starting to think that rims are much of a muchness, and I probably only need to research based on style and price (and sizing/bolts)? While tires are what effect the performance/ stability etc so should look into those more thoroughly? Is that right?

Are there any special to-go-to site that most people here use for browsing rims?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Hi

My brother is currently buying a 2012 Zetec with no spare (just the mobility kit) and I have been looking around for him for a single wheel or two for a spare and in case one is damaged.
So you might be interested in an Ebay ad for a complete set of Zetec (german built) 16" in good cond with tyres.
You say your remote - where about's ?
If your still wanting original rims, I can reply with the ebay link.
(if you go this way then you could keep your 3 current rims for spares ??
Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Moorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57
Hi

My brother is currently buying a 2012 Zetec with no spare (just the mobility kit) and I have been looking around for him for a single wheel or two for a spare and in case one is damaged.
So you might be interested in an Ebay ad for a complete set of Zetec (german built) 16" in good cond with tyres.
The problem is the OP's rims are 4X108 and a 2012 WT Zetec will be 4X100.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57
Hi

Hold onto the Zetec ones and just wait for a single one to pop up on eBay...They are on their every now and again.

As said above they will not fit the OP's

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
petalforly
Starter Motor

Thanks for the offer pursuit, and thanks everyone for pointing out the bolt doesn't match.

Why is it so hard to find the right wheels. :(

I see now that the CSA are ones Ford sell as on option with the new Fiestas. When I got mine, they only had one option "Alloy wheel".

Ford lists the CSA 15'' as ~$1000 for a set. Was hoping I could find some others maybe about $200 ea.

I can not find many wheels. Some stores don't have filters, or no matches for my car. Many don't have 16''. But I think 15'' was the standard size and I upgraded to the 16''. I guess if there are more 15'' and they are cheaper, might be best to go that way.

Can I get any thoughts on these wheels below?
First 2 here are below $200 ea. I did a filter search by car, these were the suggestions. Are they ok, or something wrong with getting them?
Levante Wheels: http://www.tyrepitstop.com.au/wheels...vante-Wheels-1
Rim Size: 15 x 6.5
Brand: Advanti wheels
Studs: 4
PCD: 108
Offset: 38
Load Rating: 690
SC21 Wheels: http://www.tyrepitstop.com.au/wheels.../SC21-Wheels-5
Colour: Matt Black / Full Polish
Rim Size: 15 x 6.5
Brand: Enkei wheels
Studs: 4
PCD: 100/108
Offset: 38
Load Rating: 690
This one unsure of the price, but I will see if other sites have a price. I did find a 14'' for just over a $100. Wish there were more prices listed on these sites.
Speedy COBALT - Machined: http://www.bobjane.com.au/wheelset-d...c3a3db41678797
Size 15"
Width 6.0"
Bolts 4
PCD 108.0
Offset 42
Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Standard Zetec wheels are 16 x 6.5 inch in 41.5 offset PCD 108. The Optional wheel is 17x7 in 47 offset.

I quite like the look of the first and second wheels you linked, I think the SC21 would look the best. I'm very happy with the Team Dynamics pro race 1.2s that I replaced our bent standard 16x6.5" wheels with with BUT they are still an expensive wheel and at 17x7 I'm running an even thinner tyre than before so I'm still very nervous about pot holes. If I was to be totally sensible I would have gone for 15's and a taller tyre. On the other hand the 17" wheels do feel quite sporting and should be a stronger wheel (they are load rated 1025kg per wheel compared to the 690 you are looking at/I bet the standard wheel is about 50kg lol) but when your tyres are rubber band thin you are still a little edgy
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

P.S I will add that load rating of 1025 is for the 20" wheel, the 17 maybe weaker! but it is a strong wheel
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
petalforly
Starter Motor

Hi greenfoam, thanks so much for your reply and info.

Feels like The 16'' would have been the best if there were more options out there, nice middle spot between 15 and 17. Interesting about getting taller tires, I was wondering if you could get something like that. And load rating another thing to consider, hadn't noticed that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
The Standard Zetec wheels are 16 x 6.5 inch in 41.5 offset PCD 108. The Optional wheel is 17x7 in 47 offset.
Is there a preferred width/offset I should look for with the 15'' rims, do you happen to know? Is it better to have the 6.5 or 6 width? How about the offset; the ones above different again, one being 38 and another 42?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate, you automatically have taller tyres on a 15inch rim compared to a 16 or 17. You keep the same overall diameter (it's the law to be within 15mm of standard overall diameter) so the tyre on a 17 inch rim is very thin in the wall compared to a 15inch. You will never ever (pretty sure) break a 15 inch rim because the taller tyre just offers so much more protection.

With the offset on front wheel drive cars you aren't technically allowed to go wider offset than standard but you will get away with 3mm if you go for 38's. The wider you go the more stable the car will be, it can change the steering for the worse but overall it will handle better with the wide offset (wider being 38 narrower being say 45) but we are only talking a few mm, so it's no big deal or big difference
Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
petalforly
Starter Motor

Thanks greenfoam, really appreciate your help. I just need to work out the requirements for load weight and offset of the current wheel, then I can compare to the 15'' rims I'm looking at.

Here's the tire sizes that have the diameter within 15mm, while keeping the same width of the originals (195).

(CURRENT TYRE 195/45 16 DIAMETER: 58.19 cm)

1 NEW TYRE: 195/50 15.
DIAMETER: 57.60 cm
DIAMETER DIFFERENCE = 0.59cm (Smaller then original)
Feel this might be better as it's closer to the original.

2 NEW TYRE: 195/55 15.
DIAMETER: 59.55 cm
DIAMETER DIFFERENCE = 1.36cm (Taller then original)

Slowly learning all these technicalities, getting there. Awaiting for some quotes on some 15'' rims to help me decide.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
petalforly
Starter Motor

OK, hope someone can ease my mind on the offset here. I know the rims I want, but I am not 100% on the offset. I find some people say you shouldn't change the offset at all. Can anyone please tell me if this would good:

OFFSET COMPARISON ORIGINAL / NEW:
[code]
ORIGINAL RIMS: 16x6.5 / offset 41.5
NEW RIMS: 15x6.0 / offset 45
[/code]Is the offset change ok from 41.5 to 45? Is it ok to go narrower by this much for this size rim?

These are the CSA Wheels that ford are selling for later model fiestas (thought they might be better since ford sell them, though the later fiestas have different standard wheel sizes).

This was what was on the plaque:
Quote:
195/50 R15 82V
195/45 R16 84V
205/40 R17 84V
  • · Since all these sizes are written on the plaque, are they all equally suitable for the car. Or is the one that was fitted when I purchased it (R16) the 'best'.
I could get those new rims in a 16x6.5 version (Still 45 offset but). Would this be more advisable since the car was originally fitted with 16x6.5?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You may find this site very helpful when selecting different rim/tyre combos and how it will affect your car.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalforly
OK, hope someone can ease my mind on the offset here. I know the rims I want, but I am not 100% on the offset. I find some people say you shouldn't change the offset at all. Can anyone please tell me if this would good:

OFFSET COMPARISON ORIGINAL / NEW:
[code]
ORIGINAL RIMS: 16x6.5 / offset 41.5
NEW RIMS: 15x6.0 / offset 45
[/code]Is the offset change ok from 41.5 to 45? Is it ok to go narrower by this much for this size rim?

These are the CSA Wheels that ford are selling for later model fiestas (thought they might be better since ford sell them, though the later fiestas have different standard wheel sizes).

This was what was on the plaque:
  • · Since all these sizes are written on the plaque, are they all equally suitable for the car. Or is the one that was fitted when I purchased it (R16) the 'best'.
I could get those new rims in a 16x6.5 version (Still 45 offset but). Would this be more advisable since the car was originally fitted with 16x6.5?

That offset should be OK (the link Rob gave you says 41-45 is OK), but check with the tyre shop you're buying them from to be sure. Don't buy them from Ford - you can get CSA wheels at most big name tyre/wheel shops for cheaper. Out of interest, are you going for the 15" wheels for comfort or because they're cheaper? You'll need new tyres if you do, as per the size written on the plaque. If you stick to 16" wheels, you might be able to fit the original tyres on them.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels with a 4x108 PCD are hard to find in Australia, you may be best to look at alloywheels.com in the UK ... they have heaps of them, the Fiesta over there is a very big seller.

A bloke I work with bought a set of wheels from them and they were excellent to deal with, rims arrived very quickly and completely unmarked, he highly recommends them.

http://www.alloywheels.com/

For the record .. I would have thought the offset of the original Fiesta wheels would have been more like ET50 or similar ? ... the offset of the stock XR4 wheels is ET52.5
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Standard offset is between 41.5 and 47 depending on which wheel they came with. Most of the after market English wheels are offset +38.

+45 is fine.
Old 13-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
petalforly
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
You may find this site very helpful when selecting different rim/tyre combos and how it will affect your car.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Thanks I checked it out, little confused on the results, but appeared to be saying OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
That offset should be OK (the link Rob gave you says 41-45 is OK), but check with the tyre shop you're buying them from to be sure. Don't buy them from Ford - you can get CSA wheels at most big name tyre/wheel shops for cheaper. Out of interest, are you going for the 15" wheels for comfort or because they're cheaper? You'll need new tyres if you do, as per the size written on the plaque. If you stick to 16" wheels, you might be able to fit the original tyres on them.
Well I think the 16’’ rims are only $20 more so price is fine & better deal then ford, have to wait for new stock but. I just started to like the idea of 15’’ after reading more about how higher profile tires are better – protection for rims, smoother ride, notice a flat better. And I was only going up one notch so nothing drastic. However, found info that ‘standard’ are safer, changing tire size is ‘dangerous’. And lower profile gives better stability. Made me a bit nervous, but since I found the plaque listed the tire size for 15’’, I feel a better again.

I will definitely check with a car shop on the offset. I feel ok about everything else now, but this is the one thing that was niggling at me. I checked with insurance about changing wheels, not offset though, they said it’s fine.

Good idea about keeping the tires I have with 16'' rims, something to consider. I assumed these probably need a change by now, but I can check at a car shop. Been researching some tires, and found some good ones to choose between. I find a lot more options are available in 15’’ compared to 16’’ which might be another benefit of the smaller rim.
Old 13-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
petalforly
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Wheels with a 4x108 PCD are hard to find in Australia, you may be best to look at alloywheels.com in the UK ... they have heaps of them, the Fiesta over there is a very big seller.

A bloke I work with bought a set of wheels from them and they were excellent to deal with, rims arrived very quickly and completely unmarked, he highly recommends them.

http://www.alloywheels.com/

For the record .. I would have thought the offset of the original Fiesta wheels would have been more like ET50 or similar ? ... the offset of the stock XR4 wheels is ET52.5
I finally found the offset inside the original 16’rim says ET41.5. Which greenfoam had said it was earlier.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Yeah appears few cars share the same stud pattern here, so very limited options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Standard offset is between 41.5 and 47 depending on which wheel they came with. Most of the after market English wheels are offset +38.

+45 is fine.
Thanks. Wish this info was included on the plaque/placard whatever it is!

Thanks so much everyone for the replies and help.