Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #31
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Well done Jabba on the time but can u explain why your MPH is low as l ran a 13.1 with 110 mph on a 1.9 60ft.

with that extra power it seems low.
I'm not sure why my mph is low, but in the Vid I ran 12.4 & 112.77.... Basicly I think it works like this.. The faster you get off the line (60ft) the slower you MPH will be. And viser verser, or something like that.... I was speaking to Chris about my MPH also, and he said that if I swapped gears earler I would pick up a few more MPH also. So that would be about 113-114mph...

Enter my weight (4188lbs) and my best mph(112.77) and you will see that the power is close towhat the Dyno is recording..
http://www.modulardepot.com/hpc.php

I think Chris and Craig could explain better then me.... I'm still a newby at Drag racing...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 12-08-2007 at 09:24 AM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #32
dute
SLYME UTE

Well done on the time. . .
Old 12-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #33
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I'm not sure why my mph is low, but in the Vid I ran 12.4 & 112.77.... Basicly I think it works like this.. The faster you get off the line (60ft) the slower you MPH will be. And viser verser, or something like that.... I was speaking to Chris about my MPH also, and he said that if I swapped gears earler I would pick up a few more MPH also. So that would be about 113-114mph...

Enter my weight (4188lbs) and my best mph(112.77) and you will see that the power is close towhat the Dyno is recording..
http://www.modulardepot.com/hpc.php

I think Chris and Craig could explain better then me.... I'm still a newby at Drag racing...
jabba mph in a manual can vary alot depending on how well you carry your speed through gear changes, if your not smooth, quick and fluent on changes you will knock speed off at the top end where autos will change much smoother and consistantly and show a much more realistic mph every pass. 1st, 2nd change is the hardest to get right as its all happing very fast but get the first change right it will carry through with the other gear changes, something you cant think about but just feel it out.
I have done many a pass at around 112mph then got the changes right and jumped straight to 115-116mph and once you get it right you will know straight away as it feels real good/ quick between gears.
Your 1/2 track mph will go up with a better 60ft/gears changes but end mph will only vary depending on where you change gears and how well you change.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #34
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the good advice Wade... At the moment I am shooting in the dark with my gear changes. As I said in an earler post my tacko is not keeping up with actual engine speed, so I don't quiet know what rpm's I am shifting at.. But I dare say I might be holding gear to long... My next mod for the ute is a shift light to help perfect my gear shift.. I realy want a 114mph out off my ute in street trim. But I think I need to look over the tune to find some extra top end..

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 12-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #35
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quadcams nailed it, auto's are easy to squirt down a track, real driving is a manual and a 5speed BA is probably the worst even with a good clutch and rip shifter they are just ordinary, that's why when i went racing in my old XT 3V i would swap the six speeder out of my ute.

It's not the 60ft that makes the MPH increase it's the whole run and with a manual it's even harder to get consistency. Riding the clutch out of the hole is much better and once mastered it makes it so much better.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #36
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice Wade... At the moment I am shooting in the dark with my gear changes. As I said in an earler post my tacko is not keeping up with actual engine speed, so I don't quiet know what rpm's I am shifting at.. But I dare say I might be holding gear to long... My next mod for the ute is a shift light to help perfect my gear shift.. I realy want a 114mph out off my ute in street trim. But I think I need to look over the tune to find some extra top end..
Dont go chasing mph jabba as it will just do your head in, in a manual your better off learning to get the most out of your driving as there's a decent amount of room for improvement with them. Seen and experianced my self you can be disapointed how your car is performing but all along its the driving which is not showing the cars true potential. Also remeber take weight out and the mph will go up (power to weight).

keep at it jabba, Paul has done a good job with your tune, cars showing good numbers for its setup.

About the tacho, Vern mentioned he had this issue, myself first gets a little blury but after that all good, suppose I've just gotten use to it.

Last edited by Quadcams; 12-08-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #37
rodderz

Someone once described the gearchange in the T3650 5-speeds in the BA V8's like a d!ck in a shirtsleeve, it's dead right and even with a short shift it still can be hit and miss.

Once you get your rpm tacho working maybe try a couple of runs each shifting gears at the rpm in which you make your most power (check dyno sheet), and a little higher and see how it goes. You have the 4.11's don't you Matt? So you would into 4th well before the finish?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #38
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I have 3.7's Rod... The time I set my previous PB 12.55 @110 I was hitting the 7000rpm rev limiter 40m before the finish line... So We we extended the rev limit to 7500 to get over the line in 3rd without hitting the limiter, and we thought with the extra power we would get 114mph easy. But what we found last Wednesday was I was right on 7000rpm going over the finish line, insted off hittting 7000 40m before it... (Tacko reads correct in 3rd gear)

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #39
rodderz

The 3:23's in the BA did the same, the limiter right at the finish, going to 4th wasted time. I went to 3:46's, as the shorter ratio's weren't available back then, so it allowed to get into 4th more before the finish and change from 3rd earlier
Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #40
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Someone once described the gearchange in the T3650 5-speeds in the BA V8's like a d!ck in a shirtsleeve, it's dead right and even with a short shift it still can be hit and miss.
I actually think it's quite nice having driven a VY SS with a T56 i would keep my T3650 anyday, but the Ford T56 are meant to be quite a bit better.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #41
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Great stuff Jabba ! Awesome Vid !
Looks like you have seen the "Drag Racing" light ?

I went to Calder last night trying to better my time, ended up with a 11.87 @ 116,
even had a tail wind.
Back to the drawing board.
Cam, just supercharge it, it will open up a whole new world.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #42
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
, but the Ford T56 are meant to be quite a bit better.
With a ripshifter yeh.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #43
DBL15
love being blown

Quote:
Nice run Matt, who had the purple ute?
yeh thats mine pretty poor attempt at a burn out but i am having fun and thats all the matters

we had a side by side run early in the night with a 12.5 to Jabba and a 12.7 to me he is very quick off the line thats for sure

congrats Jabba great time mate glad i was there to share it with you : : :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #44
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL15
yeh thats mine pretty poor attempt at a burn out but i am having fun and thats all the matters

we had a side by side run early in the night with a 12.5 to Jabba and a 12.7 to me he is very quick off the line thats for sure

Yup exactly it's all fun, particularly when it's a road car good to give it some off the road to its full potential and working out where you can get faster
Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 PM   #45
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

I noticed two years ago that all the quickest and fastest LS1's that were manuals were in 4th gear just after half track. My ute with 4.10's i was almost the same as the LS1's and my MPH was always around 113 - 115. Having said all that MPH to me is not that exciting (i know what my car has in the way of power) i just want ET slips.

Most records in Drag Racing are remembered for ET and firsts.
Old 13-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #46
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL15

How can you NOT have fun with an Eaton on top! Your located in fun city central!!! :

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #47
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Graig, it was good chatting with you today, and thanks for the tips to get over the line quicker.. Hopefully I will have the shift light in a few weeks, and as we discussed, here is my Dyno read out for you to work out the optimum shift points... Chris feel free to comment if you like..

Oh, and see that little dip at 6200.. Paul and tim wanted to put a little more timing in there.. But it was my call to leave it as it is.. In case off bad fuel I didn't want it to pink at that rpm..

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 13-08-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 13-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #48
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hi Jabba, I guess that's end of circuit for a while. Very good 1/4 mile time.

Exactly how hard are you able to spin your motor now that it's been built ? I had to re read your reference to 7500 to be sure !

That's a tuff n/a Boss you have there.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #49
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hi Jabba, I guess that's end of circuit for a while. Very good 1/4 mile time.

Exactly how hard are you able to spin your motor now that it's been built ? I had to re read your reference to 7500 to be sure !

That's a tuff n/a Boss you have there.
Yeah it spins to 7500, But it make no more power then at 6500.. I only have it spinning that high to get me over the line with out the need to pull 4th... My track tune is set to 7000rpm, but I will always shift at 6000 when racing circuit....

Gone of the circuit a bit, mainly because how hard the ute is going, I liturly can not stop it at the end off the straights. I need much bigger brakes and they cost heaps.. Also I won't put faith in a set off cheapo brake upgrades either. For me, it a case of the best stoppers or nothing at all.. And at a time were I want to spend money on my house, and I also just blew up my boat motor, and that's a big $ item. (what is it with me and blowing up motors). I don't want to spend too much more on the ute.... Besides the Orion is comming out soon.... Supercharged Superpursuit Orion,, Yes please

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 13-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #50
rodderz

You can't help it though if a cruiser swamps your boat though!
Old 13-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #51
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can't help it though if a cruiser swamps your boat though!
Now I am embarrassed... It's a fact that I have shocking luck with engines. Ask my wife.. She will even tell you my neighbours wont even lend me a wiper sniper.

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 13-08-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 13-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #52
DBL15
love being blown

Quote:
Now I am embarrassed... It's a fact that I have shocking luck with engines. Ask my wife.. She will even tell you my neighbours wont even lend me a wiper sniper.
and you want to have a go in my ute after a post like that :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 03:51 AM   #53
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

6900 looks like a good place to change
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #54
Scott

Chris & Craig will have the magic answer but looking at the chart I'll back 6100rpm to make the most of the hp and changing into the highest torque range.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #55
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Looking at the dyno sheet there Jabba i would be shifting at 5800 - 5900 or maybe 6000, do three runs with 1 run shifting at nothing but 5800, the next at 5900 and the last at 6000 and compare notes.

It's all about trial and error.

Cheers Craig
Old 14-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #56
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Craig... I will take your advice... Problem is I very rarely get to do any more then 3 runs each time I go out to Willowbank, even on a Wednesday night it's crowded.... But I will do my best.

I replayed my 1st to 2nd gear change over and over to pick faults in my driving, and I definitely think I am holding 1st gear way to long. And if that is the case it is probably the same for 2nd to 3rd... So now I think if I follow your directions and shift earlier I will be in 4th at about 300m...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 14-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #57
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cheers Craig... I will take your advice... Problem is I very rarely get to do any more then 3 runs each time I go out to Willowbank, even on a Wednesday night it's crowded.... But I will do my best.

I replayed my 1st to 2nd gear change over and over to pick faults in my driving, and I definitely think I am holding 1st gear way to long. And if that is the case it is probably the same for 2nd to 3rd... So now I think if I follow your directions and shift earlier I will be in 4th at about 300m...
Hey mate, the old stick shift ain't easy, and the best of the cheat with autos.

Well done. Just like a good bottle of red, you'll only get better with time!
Old 14-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #58
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mate go just above your peak power on the 1-2 change then knock a few hundred off each change after that but honestly I have found that there limited gains on where you shift, within reason (hell ive short shifted on the 1-2 change and was one of my best runs) but found getting smooth, quick and "holding your speed" on gear changes can yeild much bigger gains.