Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Another Tinting Question

I want to tint the windows on my Silver BA XR6, I wemt down to a place that was recomended to me. He said that I should use a non metalic film because of the aerial in the back window. I can understand the that it could effect radio signals coming into the car, but he than added that they have used metallic film and havent had problems.

I dont have a problem using non metallic film but I wanted my tint to be one level under darkest legal (a mate of mine got it done on his VR and I like it) which would use the metalic film.

So here is my question:
Has anybody used a metallic film on their cars and has it effected their radio signal? Also how does darkest legal look on a lightning strike BA.

vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
bscampbell

Some places won't illegally tint a car, so you will have to find one that does.
Legal tint (35%) isn't terribly dark, but it does a great job regardless.
I actually don't think going darker makes it that much better in terms of lower interior temperatures, just looks better, but can also be more dangerous because it is harder to see out of, especially at night.
They will put a non-metallised tint on the window with the inbuilt aerial, so no probs there.

Mine is done with 35% Ming tint. You can click the link in my sig to see the result. When looking at the interior, not window to window, it looks darker...obviously!

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I want to tint the windows on my Silver BA XR6, I wemt down to a place that was recomended to me. He said that I should use a non metalic film because of the aerial in the back window. I can understand the that it could effect radio signals coming into the car, but he than added that they have used metallic film and havent had problems.

I dont have a problem using non metallic film but I wanted my tint to be one level under darkest legal (a mate of mine got it done on his VR and I like it) which would use the metalic film.

So here is my question:
Has anybody used a metallic film on their cars and has it effected their radio signal? Also how does darkest legal look on a lightning strike BA.
The metallic tint shorts out the aerial.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Sledgehammer
Banned

It only affects the AM radio stations only....not much of a problem....
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
It only affects the AM radio stations only....not much of a problem....
You can lose some of your FM stations too- mainly AM but not worth the risk. Iam just about to get 3 of ours tinted and Ive spoken to a few folk regarding this and have been recommended a product called "Charcool" which is a non-metallic tint that at 35% darkness should reduce heat by about 70% which is much the same as the metallic type.
Some will do it with a lifetime warranty- Ive been quoted $750 for all three cars.....anyone think that this is a good price/too expensive?

If the Pope drove a Ford, its good enough for me :the_finge

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 04:58 AM   #6
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Got metallic tint on BA sedan. Lose some quality on fm stations when miles away from Melb. AM is slightly worse but in around Melb no probs. Got 18, looks mint. Tint quality very important, had rubbish 18 on EL and was like driving in box, couldn't see much, expecially at night, but the film I have now, is clear as anything to see out, surprisingly so. Sorry don't know the type.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
nang3

Quote:

So here is my question:

what state are you in??
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

its about 20% tint on my dads car. lot darker than legal.

my old ED had 2 layers of 35 percent on it. it was a tad darker than the XR

Last edited by HLC; 23-11-2005 at 12:45 PM.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
niko
likes falcon's

u can see fine at night through 20% as one guy mentioned, its quality of the tint.

35% is a joke, may as well not bother tinting, looks like normal windows.

20% kills alot of sun while driving, temperature in ya car depends on what colour your car is more than what colour your windows are....

and the security is good, hard to see in, even with a torch
Old 23-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

I got 25% on the sides, and 15% on the back, no problems with radio interference (AM or FM), its a metallic tint as well. Looks horn. I agree about 35%, not worth the effort.
Old 23-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #11
Greg302

if anyone needs tinting done in melb pm me, can get it done at a good price
Greg302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nang3
what state are you in??

Victoria

Thanks guys, I'm really confused now. I dont want darkest legal because it looks like the windows havent been tinted. I guess I need to do some more research.
Old 24-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Have you considered the insurance ramifications of the tint? If you're in an accident and the assessor looks over the car, I'll guarantee you'll be up for the repairs.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #14
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I have 5% on my daily driver SUV. Yeh its very cool (and pitch black). My AM reception is very poor and i havent been able to prove if its from the metalic tint or the crappy arial. :evil_laug

5 years now and no legal drama with it yet (or have i spoken too soon).
Old 25-11-2005, 12:46 AM   #15
nang3

you wil only have legal dramas assuming you have a crash and the assessor can prove that it was caused by your windows being dark.. if you crash during the middle of the day and your windows are down it doesnt matter if you had painted your windows matte black, it wont have been what caused the accident
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #16
bscampbell

Quote:
you wil only have legal dramas assuming you have a crash and the assessor can prove that it was caused by your windows being dark.. if you crash during the middle of the day and your windows are down it doesnt matter if you had painted your windows matte black, it wont have been what caused the accident
I bet it wouldn't matter one iouta...if they can avoid paying out, they will!
You also wouldn't be able to prove the window was down at the time of an accident, even if it was the case.

I went for 35% because of this.
I didn't want insurance hassles if I needed to claim!
I wanted a darker tint on the rear most windows, but that's also illegal for a private vehicle, but for a work vehicle it isn't!
I'm not sure how many places will illegally tint...but maybe it's not spoken about...and if they do, I don't know if you will have warranty or receipt of the work done, because if you are caught by cops or insurance accessors with it, they may start asking questions about who did it. Maybe I'm wrong.

2009 VW Caravelle
Old 25-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I wouldn't bank on it. I also wouldn't risk a $40,000 car on it either. Fact is, darker than 35% is an illegal modification and if the insurance company can find any excuse to save themselves $40,000 if I had totalled my car even with all my windows down then don't expect them to hesitate to void the claim.
Old 25-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscampbell
I went for 35% because of this.
I didn't want insurance hassles if I needed to claim!
I wanted a darker tint on the rear most windows, but that's also illegal for a private vehicle, but for a work vehicle it isn't!
I'm not sure how many places will illegally tint...but maybe it's not spoken about...and if they do, I don't know if you will have warranty or receipt of the work done, because if you are caught by cops or insurance accessors with it, they may start asking questions about who did it. Maybe I'm wrong.
The place I got my tinting done were happy to do it at whatever I wanted provided I signed a waiver that meant that I acknowledged the legal and insurance ramifications and that I had no recourse with the tinting company.

I had only asked out of interest because I had to wait a week for them to get the non-metallic tint for my back window.
Old 25-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Have you considered the insurance ramifications of the tint? If you're in an accident and the assessor looks over the car, I'll guarantee you'll be up for the repairs.
i was lucky with my old car cause there were no other parties involved. ill only be getting 35 percent on my current car just to keep insurance happy :
Old 25-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #20
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

regardless of what % you endup going for , why dont you put an ink based tint on the rear window and metallic on the sides?

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
regardless of what % you endup going for , why dont you put an ink based tint on the rear window and metallic on the sides?

James
Thats what I thought about doing, but would a lighter tint on the back and darker tint on the side windows look silly??
Old 26-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #22
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Thats what I thought about doing, but would a lighter tint on the back and darker tint on the side windows look silly??
I don't think it's right to assume that metallic is automatically darker. My tinter suggested on one car to do "non metallic" rather than "metallic" because I was mainly after the look. It gave me a "blacker" look. (Perhaps because the non metallic is less reflective??? Therefore absorbs more light???)

Autoshade in Nepean Hwy Brighton. 3 cars done there. I swear by him
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I don't think it's right to assume that metallic is automatically darker. My tinter suggested on one car to do "non metallic" rather than "metallic" because I was mainly after the look. It gave me a "blacker" look. (Perhaps because the non metallic is less reflective??? Therefore absorbs more light???)

Autoshade in Nepean Hwy Brighton. 3 cars done there. I swear by him
I was saying this because I cant get a non metallic that is one darker than legal.
Old 28-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #24
bscampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
The place I got my tinting done were happy to do it at whatever I wanted provided I signed a waiver that meant that I acknowledged the legal and insurance ramifications and that I had no recourse with the tinting company.
So that's how they get away with doing it and have no legal problems.
Thought it might be something like that...fair enough too!

2009 VW Caravelle
Old 29-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #25
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

I had my BA done by a place in Ringwood, Vic they are called Twilight Auto Tint. They did a 3M product, 35% but a carbon tint not metalic tint. No probs with radio reception and looks quite dark because it has a matt finish on the tint. They did a great job and charged me about $363 because my sister had her car done there also, normally a bit dearer. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending these guys.Hope this helps.
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Does tinting look darker on a light car or a dark car (if the same tint was applied on both cars)?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #27
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I think the colour of the interior makes a bigger difference.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #28
live_1991

dark cars with dark trims make it look darker

light cars with light trim make it look very light
live_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #29
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

if any one knows some one in SA who tints cars PM me with an aproximat price for an EB
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #30
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'm looking at getting my XR6 done very soon. The place I spoke to said they can do 20% if I want it (cash in hand, no receipt), but then I really want to see what a Blueprint XR looks like with darkest legal tint first, before I decide if I want to go darker.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post