Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
turbo_man

Default speeding fines

hey guys i just got a speeding fine in the mail just looking for some advice. i got detected by a speed camera going 50 in a school zone, now im a red p plater and this will make me lose my licence for 3 months but the normal speed limit on this road is 60 and the camera detected me at 8:04am, 4 minutes after it started!! now i make sure to obey school zones due to children being around so my clock in the car was out this may also cost me my job do i have any ground to stand on and is calling or emailing the rta going to give me any chance of getting it dropped?

Old 21-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default Re: speeding fines

good luck

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do they have you're face? I've heard of many getting their parents to cop the fine and points...

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
turbo_man

well the car's not in my name it's in my step mum's but shes refusing point blank to take the 2 points for me when she recieved the notice
Old 21-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
sudszy
Banned

Oh, but the children .........I gather there weren't any munchkins in sight, or a crossing attendant?, were there 40km/h flashing signs?

Typically no kid is at school by 8am, especially if its a primary school, send them there a whole hour early.

if you can paint a picture that it look deserted and slipped your otherwise faultless attention/observation skills Id at least "pen" a letter pleading for leniency.

Last edited by geckoGT; 22-09-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: You made your point, no need for distasteful descriptions.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering you have already lost points in your first 12 months of driving. I would say no.
Old 21-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

You have 4 points on P's for memory. So if you haven't been caught for anything else, I reckon you'll be safe.

Otherwise, you could name a mate being the driver, but don't get caught doing that. The law don't like it too much.

Good luck either way

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 21-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man up take it like a champ....
Old 21-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Worth asking for leniency imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
You have 4 points on P's for memory. So if you haven't been caught for anything else, I reckon you'll be safe.

Otherwise, you could name a mate being the driver, but don't get caught doing that. The law don't like it too much.

Good luck either way
Isn't it a 4 point loss for "speeding" in a 40 zone?
Old 21-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
turbo_man

points dont matter automatic loss of licence
Old 21-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_man
points dont matter automatic loss of licence
Wow what nazi state do you live in?

Well remember next time to do 40km/h even before time, that way you will be right if your not run off the road
Old 21-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW P platers lose 4 points for speeding 1-10km/h
I think school zone are an extra point no matter what speed you are doing.

Its backwards that P platers have less points to begin with, but then lose more then a full licence driver even when breaking the same law.
They need to pick one or the other, not both.

I thought with school zones they would give you 5 minutes grace period.
On the RTA website is says "minutes" doesn't say exactly how many.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
Wow what nazi state do you live in?
Red P-Platers get automatic 3 month suspension for speeding in NSW.

0-10km over is 1 point in normal speed zone, 2 or 3 in a school zone from memory.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy

Typically no kid is at school by 8am, especially if its a primary school, send them there a whole hour early to be molested?

if you can paint a picture that it look deserted and slipped your otherwise faultless attention/observation skills Id at least "pen" a letter pleading for leniency.
Yep i'd do this if you had a clean license. Otherwise, don't bother wasting your time.

ps - over here in the west school zones start at 730! bloody bs if you ask me!
Old 21-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
MexicanBatman
Banned

All that in a stupid state that does not let learner driver drive the speed limit on open roads, what happens when you get your licence and drive on a 100km/h limit B or C road, never having driven faster than 80km/h LOL

I haven't been to NSW in ages but I bet there is a ton on newly licensed drivers staring at the speedos and not the road...
Old 21-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I haven't been to NSW in ages but I bet there is a ton on newly licensed drivers staring at the speedos and not the road...
Not just newly licensed and not just NSW.
Old 21-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
All that in a stupid state that does not let learner driver drive the speed limit on open roads, what happens when you get your licence and drive on a 100km/h limit B or C road, never having driven faster than 80km/h LOL

snip.
Had an argument about this at work yesterday... bloody oath stupid state...

The whole L/P1/P2 limits have no sense to them apart from creating more revenue.

But thats offtopic so ill get off here.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 21-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

Isn't it a 4 point loss for "speeding" in a 40 zone?

No idea mate. The OP stated his step mother won't take the 2 points for him. I was just assuming the speeding fine attracted 2 points and he had 4 on his P's.

Edit. Just re-read the original posting. Looks like the OP will loose his licence, if no one takes the fine for him. I also seriously doubt the coughers will look favourably either, considering they're cracking down on P plate drivers with their speed.

So hate to say it, but looks like you'll loose your job, licence etc. It's sucks yes, but what else can you do?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 21-09-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 21-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Hello,this has got all the ingredients!!!
Innocent law breaker...busted clock, hard working young kid, and Sudzzy involved!!! what more could a thread ask for???

S.A rules state over school zones, 25K whilst kids are present . No time frames involved. So you can have feral little brats wandering round at 7 in the morning near the school and you can be pinched. It sucks.

Last edited by flappist; 21-09-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: keep to the topic please
Old 21-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Start an eBay auction for someone to cop the fine for you... I'd do it for 500 bucks.... retarded laws call for shady dealings imo!
Old 22-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #21
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms
Start an eBay auction for someone to cop the fine for you... I'd do it for 500 bucks.... retarded laws call for shady dealings imo!
That's such a ridiculous idea, but I like it.

ahem.... $499

j/k.
Old 22-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #22
BAXR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Red P-Platers get automatic 3 month suspension for speeding in NSW.

0-10km over is 1 point in normal speed zone, 2 or 3 in a school zone from memory.
Yeah an extra point for many offences in school zones plus extra $$$.
Where have you read about the automatic suspension for p players though?
I hadn't heard that... Bit harsh.

Best chance is take it to court and plead your case for leniency. 4 mins and you were doing only 60, no kids around etc, you should get a section 10. If that. What's your local magistrate like on traffic matters?

Edit. Found it. Apparently the suspension and 4 points came in in 2007...
Old 22-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #23
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could argue that the times are out respective to GMT+8hrs and theres enough ambiguity to get away with it. But yeh the law is pretty ignorant, injust and more like a dictatorship when it comes to reasonable excuses for being caught speeding...

If good old mumsy wont take the wrap (which is a bit harsh for her to side with the OH & BS over her own son!) buy her a new blender and remind her she will be the one driving you around or jog her memory about the last time she was cheaply stung by the rev raisers!

Failing that apply for an extraordinay license.

best of luck mate totally sux to lose your license for being mostly a good driver when drunks and real hoons are the problem

Makes you wonder what they will do when everyone actually starts obeying the law and they get no revenue...
Old 22-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #24
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why were you doing 50 in a 40/60 zone?
That's what I'd ask if I were the magistrate.

If you were knowingly pushing the speed limit, that's one thing, but if you were following the speed of other people on the road, then you might have a chance.

This wasn't the camera in Gymea, by any chance, was it?
Old 22-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #25
hawker

Case in point, never trust a clock. I slow down to 40 if it's about 10 to 8, and also for about 10 minutes after 4pm. Annoys people behind me, but I'm not risking a speeding fine for the sake of the 'wrong time'... You could go to court and try and prove the time wrong, but good luck with that!

Have to be careful in the ACT though, school zone lasts all day. 8am till 4pm... Can't really understand it, I mean, primary school kids should be inside all day, and not near the roads, and high school kids, well some of them are allowed to leave the school, but they should have common sense around roads!
Old 22-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Fixed speed camera?

I don't think I've seen a fixed camera in a school zone that didn't have at least 1 flashing sign to indicate that the school zone speed limit is in effect.

Where was the alleged offence committed? What street, suburb?
Old 22-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lost my points on my P's .. man, that was awhile ago now though.

Do they still have the option for 12 months good behaviour on 1 point? If so, that would be an option. And that's what I opted for.

It was a nerve breaking year to manage, but I got there in the end.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

If you got fined at 8.04am and the fine says 8.04am, yet the school zone ends at 8.00am what are you worrying about?

Write a letter to the state debt recovery.

If the school zone ends at 8.30, than man up and cop it on the chin.
Old 22-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #29
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kanISS the OP said 8:00am was the start time of the restricted speed zone I think. Not the end time. Anyway, to the OP, hard lesson learned? keep an eye on the road, speed signs and keep your watch, mobile phone and car clock on correct time. You're not whinging but I have to smile at people who do whinge about cop and camera fines being revenue raisers. You can fix them very efficiently by sticking to whatever speed limit is in operation wherever you are driving. No speed, no revenue. I drove to several places with different speed signs in the last few days sitting on the speed limit. I was overtaken at different times by at least 6 red and green P-platers travelling not less than 10k over over the local speed limit. And they are the first to scream "bl@@dy coppers, bl@@dy speed cameras! And everybody I know comments about this issue of novice drivers speeding.

Last edited by geckoGT; 22-09-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I think he made an honest mistake with regard to the times, no need to bait a reaction by asking if he was being "obtuse"
Old 22-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
That's such a ridiculous idea, but I like it.

ahem.... $499

j/k.
From memory there is a NSW now ex-judge who did that.

You guys do realise the penalty for fibbing on a stat dec don't you?
Closed Thread