Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default AU1 Dual Fuel - Stepper motor upgrade?

Is there a way to upgrade a factory stepper motor to an aftermarket one? Factory wants 4× the price of an aftermarket unit.

Is there any tech documents on this?

Old 16-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

bypass it - use the old manual screw method

not exactly legal, but better performance!
Old 16-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
teabags2
Bob

Blueprint,
Mine died when I had a parnell syetem, so, I used an aftermarket one which I purchased from an LPG equipment supplier.
This worked fine. The factory one attaches to the converter. UI do not know if you can get an aftermarket one to fit this way or if they all are "in line" units.
The factory ones are available from Boral alternative fuels in Syndey at about $100 I think.

Bob
teabags2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I'd prefer to go with the Stepper motor setup, as its automatically adjusting... and more legal...
Old 18-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
teabags2
Bob

Try a manual valve (for the sake of $15 its worth a try to eliminate or confirm stepper motor problem)
Then look at stepper motor replacement. Your factory gas the stepper motor is attached to the converter. I do not know how you remove it and connect the low pressure hose where it came from though.
If you prove the stepper motor is stuffed $100 or so from Boral Alternative fuels or try an in line aftermarket one.
Some of these things will need assistance from a gas guy for lagality reasons.

Bob
Old 18-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

is this the Stepper Motor? Cause if it is, it says VDO on the side of it...

Old 18-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
teabags2
Bob

That certainly looks like one. Is it in the low pressure gas line from the converter to the gas ring? I thought you had factory in which case the stepper motor has a spigot with an O ring around it insetred into a hole in the converter with a flange or bracket (similar to dizzy clamp) to hold it there. If yours is like this you may not be able to get an aftermarket replacement. Should this be the case you may ba able to get an adapter to adapt the hose directly to the converter and use an in line one (or a mechanical valve as a test or for good)
Boral Alternative Fuels sell the factory gas equipment and deal with the public. They have the factory vialle ones if this is of interest.

My experience has been when my factory converter went and flooded the stepper with coolant internaly. Boral provided me a replacement converter and stepper as I could not get one in Adelaide. My old EA parnell syetem stepper stopped working and I changed it out to an aftermarket one with no preblems. Had to get it checked out and tuned for max flow though.

Bob
Old 18-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

That pic is of mine... i've replaced the convertor with an aftermarket one... but it was replaced atleast once before that...

I dont know the age of that VDO stepper motor... hence why i asked if it could be replaced... and by the looks of it... it can be.... but can it be repaired?
Old 18-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
teabags2
Bob

I don't know if they can be repaired. They are probably throw away. Better ask a gas mechanic or VDO gas parts supplier (whoever they may be).
I got my replacement stepper from a LPG parts wholesaler type place that sold various different brands of products and knew what worked with what.

I hope you have success.
Old 19-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes, that is the stepper motor, they are probably semi repairable, just pull the bolts out of it and pull it apart. then have a look at the piston inside, see if you can move it at all, or if it is gunked up at all.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post