Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 25-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
MARK FREEMAN

Thumbs up 2much wheel spin.

G'day,I am currently running i mildly worked 351 windsor in my XW backed by a toploader and running a 3.7 ratio 9 inch LSD.Can not seem to get better times than 15.4 at 92 mph with this combo after changing the diff ratio from a 3.0:1 which ran 15.2 at 91mph.Car is fitted with HO rear leafs but has factory 12 slotters with skinny 205 Kelly's.I just cannot seem to eliminate the wheelspin problem and have even resorted to taking off in 2nd gear.It's starting to give me the XXXXX when I conduct some great burnouts trying to get the tyres sticky and then sit their spinning at the start while some HSV disappears in the distance.AM currently building up a clevo to take over duties from the windsor but would like some sucsess from the mighty windsor before retiring her.Any tips and advice greatly appreciated as I'm sure all blue oval fans get some joy out of seeing the latest HSV's getting their butts kicked by a falcon which is approaching 40 years of age.

Old 25-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

that MPH is about right for a low 15.. with 205's isnt helping, is it still spinning accross the finish line?

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
MARK FREEMAN

No she's not spinning past the finish line but chirps every gear and finally gets some grip when in 3rd.Just knocking it into 4th just before the traps where with the3.0:1 I just held in 3rd all the way through.
Old 25-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

hmmm.. looks like the poor little windsor just isnt making much power..

get some bigger stickier tyres and come down the motorplex tomorrow night.

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
MARK FREEMAN

Just flew back to work today and don't get back to perth for a while.The winnie is 30 thou over with 750 double pumper on an edlebrock performer manifold/heads are mainly stock except for double valve springs/bottom end fairly stock except for unknown ground cam and high volume oil pump/ignition was a twin point mallory but was converted to electronic with an ignitor system and coil/motor is less than 20 thousand miles old and happily pushed the car to 140 mph #edit# and spins quite happily to 6500 rpm.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 25-04-2006 at 06:26 PM. Reason: user listed wrong road
MARK FREEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Sounds like the rear of the car may not have enough weight or the front is far too lowered and the weight is mostly sitting over the front wheels.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Something isnt setup right, your MPH through the speed trap suggests your ET is about right for 92 mph.
Try M/T DRAG Radials, I have seen ET: 10.50 run on them, 1.7 - 60 FOOT.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
MARK FREEMAN

Might try more weight over the rear.The vehicle has been lowered but has HO spec suspension minus the rear sway bar.I have been removing as much weight as possible to in prove times but might try a full tank of juice and throw the jack and spare back in to see if this aids in getting a bit more traction.
Old 25-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Your terminal speed tells me the power to weight ratio of the car is still only good enough for 15's. You need more power. I can't see it as a traction problem. I can pull 15.5 no burnouts drive away in drive no problems.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
FLUB378

Do't forget that burnouts on road tyres are pretty ueless. Just do a big enough burnout to dry the tyres. Too much heat in them can actualy make a road tyre slipperier
FLUB378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Big burnouts on road treads do help.. it all depends on the type of tyre, some tyres it works and some dont.. With 92 mph id say woure getting of the line ok for that ET, i carnt see tyres inproving it much more.. its more a case of less weight/ more power
What 60ft times are u getting,
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #12
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two choices

- a stickier road tyre. Kelly's just don't cut it.
- ET street radials.

The 1st one will eliminate most of the wheelspin. The 2nd one will give you none at all.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
MARK FREEMAN

Don't know the 60 foot times off the top of my head{time slips are at home} but as soon as I fly home from work will try and round up a decent set of tyres and rims and see if I can get another Wednesday night in at the Motorplex before it closes for the season{end of May I believe}.Any way will post up my 60 foot times and hopefully a better ET and terminal speed in the near future.
Old 26-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mark I had my front lowered a few weeks ago and my back had no traction in its daily driven duties.Today I had the back lowered as well and while it can still spin it grabs much better. My gtech showed a reduction of .3 of a second to 60 with this problem.
Old 26-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Mark I had my front lowered a few weeks ago and my back had no traction in its daily driven duties.Today I had the back lowered as well and while it can still spin it grabs much better. My gtech showed a reduction of .3 of a second to 60 with this problem.
It's called weight transfer. If you look at pics of my car there is about 1/2" difference from front to back. The back is 1/2" lower of course. On the street my tiny 205's hold quite well. Well enough that if I were challenged? They would be staring at my rear number plate.

Old 26-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
It's called weight transfer. If you look at pics of my car there is about 1/2" difference from front to back. The back is 1/2" lower of course. On the street my tiny 205's hold quite well. Well enough that if I were challenged? They would be staring at my rear number plate.
Yes mate I agree. My car felt heavier at the front so the back was spinning like crazy.Too dangerous but now fixed.Sorry to stray the thread a little.
Old 26-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Fit some softer shocks, good lsd and slicks... Get a second set of 15" rims and fit some radial road slicks so you don't have to change the fronts as well.... You'll be amassed how they bite!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
MARK FREEMAN

Thanks for all the sugustions I'll be on the hunt for some new rims and tyres when I get back home finanses permitting.
Old 27-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Your terminal speed tells me the power to weight ratio of the car is still only good enough for 15's.
what a load of ИИИИ. you can achieve high 14s with the right launch. I had similar problems with my 302 windsor. i ran a 15.1 @ 92.66 idling off the line.the 60ft was 2.298. I was running 205s as well, its terrible lol.

If you look at the timeslips database up top, there are lots of cars running less or the same mph than you with a lot better times.

for example these two gentlemen..

eed-250 2.108 14.805@91.25
neb 2.189 14.878@91.81

their MPH are LESS than mine but they ran a faster time due to a better launch indicated by the lower 60ft times.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
MARK FREEMAN

I agree with you about the launch times.My mates running a 14.9 yet he's not making 90mph through the traps.He's running a XF fitted with an EB 4 litre,5 speed manual and3.9 {i think,he's since blown the diff since running these times} ratio Borg Warner diff.He's running 245's on 15 inch rims and doesn't appear to have any wheel spin problems. :baby bott

Last edited by MARK FREEMAN; 28-04-2006 at 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot tyre sizes.
MARK FREEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #21
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is your car green? with a b onnet scoop?
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #22
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
is your car green? with a b onnet scoop?
Whom are you asking? If it's me? Yes, it's the car in the avatar.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #23
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

you're running 205's behind a 351 and complaining about wheelspin? i think your problem is pretty obvious....
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post