Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with cold air intakes, is there somewhere in sydney that sells / fits them?
Old 28-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #32
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's heaps available. Probably the best bang for your buck is the Simota carbon charger. You can order them from NZ for about $200 delivered with a bit of a wait or add about another $100 for one locally.

A whiteline rear sway bar would be the next thing I'd do.

Check out the XR5 forums Here for more info.

So did you end up getting one?
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #33
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've put a holding on one, however the bank is giving me some grief, so what was looking good is now looking not so good... hopefully i'll find out soon
Old 29-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #34
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

stratton finance dude.

The guy i spoke to (Matt Seale) could not have helped me more.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #35
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all sorted!!!

Now the proud owner of a 2007 xr5 turbo!

Cannot get the smile off my face. It is a trully awesome car.

Few questions, with the integrated AUX input, where exactly is that?

Also is there a button similar to the falcons that locks the doors whilst driving?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #36
mrih8hsv

Default xr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Hi guys,

Haven't ventured into this area of the forum before, so go easy on me

Just hoping that you may be able to shed some light on the XR5 turbo for me.

Essentially:

- how are they to own (generic question #1)

- what is the performance like?

- what is the fuel economy like (both when going hard and taking it easy)

- common problems, reasons for getting a particular year over another.

- general price range

Sorry for posting such a generic thread, but hoping there is plenty of information incoming

Dave.
hi dave welcome to the turbo world your next step will be a xr6t lol

tuned to 325rwkw drag tune 346 kw atw drag tune
12.6 @ 111mph wsid dec 2008
12.4 @ 113 mph wsid april 2009
12.2 @ 117mph wsid may 2009
11.7 @ 122mph wsid nov 2009
mrih8hsv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #37
Tj-zetec

The input is in the glovebox. I've been meaning to move it as it's useless there.

At the moment I've got a 3m cable plugged into it, threaded it back through the hinge for the glove box door, then out from under the dash, tucked up under the centre console and the other end of the cable pokes out through a hole in the bottom of the storage compartment in the centre console.

I did it the day after I bought the car. It felt as though I was going against some unwritten ethical code to be pulling apart a one day old car. :S

It works but I'm not real happy about it. I miss the USB stereo in my old focus.

Oh and there's a cruise that the ladies and gents on the xr forum are organising for the 29th of august. Were going for a burn up the putty road. Would love to see you there.

And don't keep us in the dark man, give us the goss on this new whip! What model? What colour? Leather or cloth?

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #38
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for that Tj! i'll have a look tonight.

And i am definitely in for a cruise!! (on putty no less, i will actually be doing a mini putty run this weekend just for kicks).

It's 2007 (LT i believe) moondust silver (or silver as i call it) leather seats (my christ these seats are so damn good)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
Tj-zetec

Mmm silver.

And yes the 07 is an LT (I realise that now as you said it in your last post)
easiest way to tell is the blacked out headlights. The earlier LS had the normal chromed ones.

I'm glad you're happy. Now, we should run a betting sweeps on how long it'll be before you start modding it.

I've nearly made it six months!

Although that whiteline swaybar's pretty cheap.... And I can get the exhaust deresonated for about $50, and then I can save for the quaife LSD all the boys on the other forum are raving about .... NO NO, STOP IT!!!! I promised not to touch it yet!!!
It too tempting

Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #40
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the idea is that i wont mod it, but i guess it'll happen eventually.

what does the de-res sound like? i've heard a few people go on about it, but i wouldn't want the car to fart like a rexy.

One thing i really do want done ASAP is a cold air induction. (any help on that would be good)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #41
Tj-zetec

Cai's are generaly pretty straight forward. There's tutorials on the xr5 forums as well as comparisons and group buys for various different kits.

The simota carbon charger kit is pretty cheap and popular. I think they're going for about $200. There's better and more pricey kits from dreamsceince and k&n and the like too. But you're looking at a few more $$$ for that.

Best bet is get on that forum and dig around.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #42
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

beauty! thanks again for all the info!

I'll just have to stop being lazy and start looking around on xr5t forum
Old 05-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #43
b2tf
not here much anymore

Congrats on the new purchase, there is an LV XR5T I see around here in white and it looks great - if I had to go back to a small car I'd be in one of these for sure.

Just wondering why you got rid of the XR8?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #44
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats on your new purchase.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #45
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Congrats on the new purchase, there is an LV XR5T I see around here in white and it looks great - if I had to go back to a small car I'd be in one of these for sure.

Just wondering why you got rid of the XR8?
Hey mate,

I decided to move on from the 8 for a few reasons:

1) I have had my fun, and am definitely glad I got a chance to own an 8, but the way I was going, I was just gonna keep spending money on it and either end up in massive debt, or round a pole

2) I've kinda got sick of going through a tank and a half a week, so wanted something that was better on fuel whilst still having a bit of fun

3) I was missing manual wayyyy to much

4) the xr5t jumped out at me and I thought I wouldn't mind a smaller car and of course it ticked the boxes as far as fuel economy plus the fun factor.

Test drove one, liked it, test drove again, loved it.

The one i now have also had the leather seats, which at first, I didn't really care about, but once I sat in them I thought "gotta have these!!" (plus they have bum warmers! perfect for the 5am drive into work this morning haha)

So glad I've done it, absolutely love it to death.

Thanks bucky! I'll have to come back down to canberra to show you all
Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #46
b2tf
not here much anymore

Fair points and it is rare now that someone will admit they are spending too much on a car! Enjoy the new one.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #47
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate

I'll get some photos up asap
Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #48
groops

Quote:
the idea is that i wont mod it, but i guess it'll happen eventually.

what does the de-res sound like? i've heard a few people go on about it, but i wouldn't want the car to fart like a rexy.

One thing i really do want done ASAP is a cold air induction. (any help on that would be good)
Hey mate!

Welcome to the world of XR5T's.

I have de-res on my car currently and would be more than happy to show you. I too am doing a Putty run this saturday with a couple of mates and potentially another XR5T. Going to be at the Maccas at Mcgraths Hill at about 8 if that helps. I was supposed to have my Dreamsciance CAI and new I/C by then too, but due to a mistake of the ATO, my tax return will not be available to me for about a week. Should have it all by the 29th August Cruise and installed too.

The de-res has a much nicer tone to it than with the resonator, but what you need to remember is that the resonator is not just something that quietens the exhaust, but it tunes out any droning noises. Maniac on www.fordxr5turbo.com will tell you that there is no droning, but I'm telling you now, it will drone a little between 2400-3000rpm...but when you plant your foot, it has an absolutly addictive sound though.

Any other help we can offer....ask away. and come visit the xr5 forums too. :P

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Mike,

Thanks very much for that!

Should be good to see it on the 29th, I'll have to hear the drone you are talking about as I really don't want to introduce any to this car, had it with the 8 and don't wish to get it back!

Who are you getting your CAI through? and is it something you are just going to install yourself? I saw the instructions and thought "nope.. im only gonna bugger something up" lol
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #50
NickosBF2XRT

SGtbourne, what happened to the XR8, I was looking forward to the day it had twins ;o)
Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #51
groops

Quote:
G'day Mike,

Thanks very much for that!

Should be good to see it on the 29th, I'll have to hear the drone you are talking about as I really don't want to introduce any to this car, had it with the 8 and don't wish to get it back!

Who are you getting your CAI through? and is it something you are just going to install yourself? I saw the instructions and thought "nope.. im only gonna bugger something up" lol
No probs!

Look, the drone is bearable....replace the catback or entire exhaust and you'll have far less drone...cause there'll be more noise....but for $50 I figured I'd try it. It's much meaner sounding and you open it up...but I drive Parra-Penrith everyday so I'm running in 6th at about 2500RPM for about 20 minutes....lol...I guess it's more apparent when you're driving like that...in a spirited run or daily driving that is stop start and not stuck on a hwy at 110 in 6th, not as noticable. ;)

I am getting Dreamscience CAI from www.dreamscience-automotive.co.uk Most guys I've spoken to reckon it's not THAT hard a job. I'm not really that mechanical(I know everyone says it, but I'm not) and I really don't like mucking around too much, but there's heaps of walkthroughs on the forums and pics and everything that I feel comfortable doing it myself...and I'll probably do my Intercooler Install too....'Lats'-Ghetto style on the side of the road on the kerb. I mean, I did manage to install the HID's into it and that included removing the Light fittings and mounting the ballasts for them too. It's just a matter of being methodical about what you do and having confidence in yourself. I've heard of guys struggling with the IC install, but cause they rushed though the instructions and didn't REALLY read them, they were buggered for a bit, but when they looked at it logically and re-read the instructions, they were all good.

Anyways, that's my 2c.

Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #52
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha, i was looking forward to the day where I could afford to give her twins!

I'm only in kellyville so we should catchup and u can show me the drone you speak of.

where did you get it replaced?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #53
groops

I got it done at a friend's Exhaust Shop in Northmead...I think it ended up being like $70. The Stainless system that is in them from factory was a little harder to get through than originally expected. I still have the original resonator at home in case I decide to put it back on, but that's unlikey...I'll probably end up with an entire new exhaust later on, after I've done the CAI and IC. For sure we should meet up...like I said, if you're going to be doing putty on saturday, you should meet us at maccas at mcgraths hill at about 8...I can take you for a spin in the car if you want. It's also got a Dreamscience Flash which you will FALL IN LOVE WITH the first time you drive it. Otherwise we can catch up another day. as I said, it's only really noticeable if you are sitting at that RPM for ages. Anyways, let us know if you plan to meet up with us on Saturday. I've sent you a PM with my mobile in case you decide to come and wanna let me know so we can hang around a bit if you want.

Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #54
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thanks bucky! I'll have to come back down to canberra to show you all
Cool, let me know when you do.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #55
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sweet, thanks for that mate. I won't be on putty @ that time, but will organise another day to have a look.

Where did you get the flash from? same UK place?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #56
groops

Yeah. same place. THey seem to have the bigger rep in the XR5 community. Although there seems to have been some success with Custom Tuning at Tunehouse. Once Maniac gets his clutch and LSD we'll find out how successful it has been...

Mike
Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #57
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sweet!

Fun times ahead then I guess.

(pics to come in the following days)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #58
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi guys,

Haven't ventured into this area of the forum before, so go easy on me

Just hoping that you may be able to shed some light on the XR5 turbo for me.

Essentially:

- how are they to own (generic question #1)

- what is the performance like?

- what is the fuel economy like (both when going hard and taking it easy)

- common problems, reasons for getting a particular year over another.

- general price range

Sorry for posting such a generic thread, but hoping there is plenty of information incoming

Dave.
We bought a new 08 LV XR5T in EO late last year. Cost around $37.5k drive away inclusive of all fees/charges. Of all the Fords I've had (BAII XR6T, BF F6 auto, Territory Turbo Ghia, BFII Super Pursuit) this one rates the highest.

I've tuned it with my own SCT Advantage software, removed the torque tags and increased the boost. It's a hoot to drive, goes like a shower of shyte yet returns an average fuel consumption of 10.6l/100km city driving.

Handling is superior to any of the other Ford/FPV products and braking is sensational too. I enjoy the sound of the crackle during gearshifts (which is alot more pronounced since tuned).

It recently had it's 15k service and the only issues that needed sorting was a loose centre console and the weather strip at the top of the windscreen needed resecuring.

I'd highly recommend the XR5T to anyone contemplating a vehicle like this.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #59
family sedan
Starter Motor

Just some feedback on my little XR5 LV.
At under 1 week old it was thumping around the short track and at 2 weeks thrashing it down the 1/4 mile - yes all stock but a good place to start. She is now just 6 months old and has had a flash tune only which has given a 50% increase in the fwkw's and 100% on the torque figure much to my pleaseure the fuel consumption has dropped a bit around 1.4 l/100k's. The car really doesn't do much in the way of long runs unless its on a cruise generally kids to school and to the shop kind of thing but those trips I like to do quick(wink wink) so its pedal down.
The increase to the power is great and exceptionalin the low gears gettng up to speed swiftly. Looking foward to the drags season to see just what this simple mod has produced before round 2.
family sedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #60
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome info TVS! thanks for that!

any pics, sound files of your xr?

tuning certainly sounds like something I have to do!

What one did you go with family? Is it just a device you buy, and plug in and upload the tune?