Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Constable Kodak Query

I was booked by Constable Kodak and queried the revenue raising fine as the snorkel was pointing up the hill, on the opposite side of the road, to where I was travelling. ie, I wasn't in line with the opening of the snorkel.
QPolice said "the camera can take a photograph across the road, and photograph, cars travelling in both directions" If the snorkel opening is facing up the hill, pointing at cars travelling towards it. How can it photograph me travelling the opposite way ?????????????????????????????
QPolice advice, " challenge it in court, and our highly trained detection officers will explain it"
They have any excuse to revenue raise.

Old 28-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I assume you are talking about the air intake snorkle bolted to the side of the car, and if so, what has that got to do with anything? The camera unit sits in the passenger side of the car....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was told the camera sits in the snorkel ???? Thats why the opening points to the back not the front ??
Old 28-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I was booked by Constable Kodak and queried the revenue raising fine as the snorkel was pointing up the hill, on the opposite side of the road, to where I was travelling. ie, I wasn't in line with the opening of the snorkel.
QPolice said "the camera can take a photograph across the road, and photograph, cars travelling in both directions" If the snorkel opening is facing up the hill, pointing at cars travelling towards it. How can it photograph me travelling the opposite way ?????????????????????????????
QPolice advice, " challenge it in court, and our highly trained detection officers will explain it"
They have any excuse to revenue raise.
You will need to get a copy of the guidelines used for samera setup and then prove that the camera was NOT setup as per the guidelines to get anywhere. Good luck with that.

Did you ever think that if you weren't speeding, you wouldn't have been caught?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
I was told the camera sits in the snorkel ???? Thats why the opening points to the back not the front ??
Nope, definitely not.

Oo\===/oO
Old 28-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You will need to get a copy of the guidelines used for samera setup and then prove that the camera was NOT setup as per the guidelines to get anywhere. Good luck with that.

Did you ever think that if you weren't speeding, you wouldn't have been caught?
I have no problem with speed cameras ONLY how they are set up.They aren't used as originally intended. This section of road hasn't had a fatality in years and was at the base of a hill. They where originally only going to be used in areas of fatalities. Now they are everywhere ,where governments can raise revenue.
Old 28-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I have no problem with speed cameras ONLY how they are set up.They aren't used as originally intended. This section of road hasn't had a fatality in years and was at the base of a hill. They where originally only going to be used in areas of fatalities. Now they are everywhere ,where governments can raise revenue.
Fair enough - I agree with you on that. But you also have to know that if you are speeding, you run the risk of being caught. You have never actually denied that you were speeding; you're just complaining that they caught you.

While there is no "safe" speeding as such (and I don't mean that speed kills, just a speed that you can travel at without being booked for it), I generally stay within the accepted tolerances for speed limits, so that I don't get caught. I also happen to know how accurate my speedo is, so I can safely sit on 65 in a 60 zone and know that I am actually complying with the law.

If it's only a small fine and a few points, cop it on the chin and learn from it. If it's a large fine with large points, then I really can't see how you could complain.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 28-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...

Ha.

Sorry, I just think that's pretty funny.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
afroboy
XY in the veins

LOL. Yeh, i checked out the view form the inside of one of the speed camera 4X4's once after it took a photo of me doing 73km/hr in an 80km/hr zone. I was p1ssed! I did a u-turn, pulled over and went knocking on the window. The constable could see i was annoyed, but he showed me the pic and explained that 'once an hour, the camera calibrates itself by taking a picture' he then pointed out that yes i was doing 73km/hr and not speeding. I advised him that it is all good for me to know that, but the general public (as far as i am aware) don't know the camera does this, and they will be stressing for the next 3 weeks waiting for a speeding fine in the mail that will never arrive as they did not commit a speeding offence. Tho in your case, i assume you were actually speeding.
afroboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Nope, no camera in there.

Thats just the type of snorkle it is, it is fitted correctly and facing the correct way.

Oo\===/oO
Old 28-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who get done speeding and then post it on here expecting some sort of condolance or something. we all know its about revenue but on the other hand, if you weren't speeding....
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

Nope, no camera in there.

Thats just the type of snorkle it is, it is fitted correctly and facing the correct way.
But if you look veeeeeeeeeeeeeery closely there might be a camera in the tow bar hitch...or is it in the exhaust???

It could be anywhere!!!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Haha we shouldn't be taking the p1ss, but it's funny!

Oo\===/oO
Old 28-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
fangq

[QUOTE=JC]You will need to get a copy of the guidelines used for samera setup and then prove that the camera was NOT setup as per the guidelines to get anywhere. Good luck with that.

snip

is it possible to get the official manual of procedures for lidar/radar use ?
If not, why not?
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
If not, why not?
Steve
Yes it is possible but wont do you any good.......

I remember a mobile speed camera parked in a bus stop, "illegal" but all that happened was the camera operator got a parking fine, all the ppl caught speeding still got their fines even though it was parked illegally.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Quote:
While there is no "safe" speeding as such
That should read there is no such thing as a safe speed.......
Old 29-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Yes it is possible but wont do you any good.......

I remember a mobile speed camera parked in a bus stop, "illegal" but all that happened was the camera operator got a parking fine, all the ppl caught speeding still got their fines even though it was parked illegally.
In NSW a police vehicle can park illegaly if it is in the line of duty . it pi$$es me of as I drive a cab on weekends and if there is an incident at a pub or club the park in our rank and leve us with nowhere to wait for and to pick up passengers .

on the subject of the thread, were you speeding? if so pay the fine and build a bridge . now don't get me wrong I'm not perfect and have been done for speeding a few times but they are not excessive speeds and when i get done i don't cry poor me . you broke the 11th commandment, thou shalt not get busted

I may sound a bit intollerant here but i'm sick of whingers coming on here and starting a thread whinging how hard the world is because the police are doing their job. no cops and chaos would result, I would be happy to see the admin team ban all threads complaing about lawfuly issued infringement notices
you don't agree with the way that the cameras are used? join a political party work hard and suck up to the right people become a pollie and change it otherwise put a block of wood under the accelerator

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #18
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I may sound a bit intollerant here but i'm sick of whingers coming on here and starting a thread whinging how hard the world is because the police are doing their job. no cops and chaos would result, I would be happy to see the admin team ban all threads complaing about lawfuly issued infringement notices
you don't agree with the way that the cameras are used? join a political party work hard and suck up to the right people become a pollie and change it otherwise put a block of wood under the accelerator
well said, i fully agree.
want to stop the "revenue raisers"?
hand your license in and youll never have to worry about a speeding ticket again.

grab a dictionary and look this up:
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZKOOP
That should read there is no such thing as a safe speed.......
No. Speed is distance over time. Any time you move, you move with speed. So are you saying that to move is unsafe?

Old 29-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
No. Speed is distance over time. Any time you move, you move with speed. So are you saying that to move is unsafe?
Yes. Stay home - have someone tend to your every need.
Old 29-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZKOOP
Yes. Stay home - have someone tend to your every need.
How do you meet that someone though?

Old 29-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #22
ElmerFudd
Starter Motor

Next time you see one of these check your speed.
ElmerFudd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #23
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=fangq]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If not, why not?
Steve
depends wether it is the australian standard AS2898.2-2003 from standards australia you want or the state based operational guidlines that each state create.
I have a copy of the australian standard here and it was interesting, if short, reading.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
But if you look veeeeeeeeeeeeeery closely there might be a camera in the tow bar hitch...or is it in the exhaust???

It could be anywhere!!!
Nope, thats the opening for the alien probe.......... :

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the OP, if you want to fight it, look at;

http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com

Cheers
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To those of you that think speed cameras are not for revenue raising:
In Feb I received a bluey in the mail claiming I was doing 79k in a 60 zone in an area that I don't normaly go to and could not recall having been there.
No prob I thought, mayby just an honest mistake, will ring up and check.
So after spending well over an hour on the phone I finaly got through to someone that "confirmed my car make" and said that as cameras don't lie pay the fine and shut up.
Still not convinced as by this stage I was definite I could not have possibly been in the area claimed, I pulled out logs from the work system which showed I was in in an area 43k's away at that time. So back on the phone to try and get a copy of the photos.
This effectively wasted another 2+ hrs and $20. plus postage.
Well I received the photos in the mail and lo and behold the car bears no resemblance to mine and the number plate is different by a couple of digits and not at all clear.
Now to get my money back for the photos, I would probably have to spend another couple of hrs at my cost greater than the $20.00 not to mention all the time I have spent already that I have zero chance of being compensated.
so either way Joe public looses. Pay a $75.00 fine or loose over $200.00 in time proving you are right.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #27
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
How do you meet that someone though?
Advertise in the Sloth seeks Slave section of the personals columns of course
Old 29-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #28
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
.....lawfuly issued infringement notices.....
There's the rub. How do we know that it was issued lawfully, because they say so??? Can that be proven in a court of law?
Old 29-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #29
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
There's the rub. How do we know that it was issued lawfully, because they say so??? Can that be proven in a court of law?
Well how do you know that any evidence given ever in any court is the truth? It comes down to the credibility and experience of the witness.
Old 29-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #30
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
To those of you that think speed cameras are not for revenue raising:
In Feb I received a bluey in the mail claiming I was doing 79k in a 60 zone in an area that I don't normaly go to and could not recall having been there.
No prob I thought, mayby just an honest mistake, will ring up and check.
So after spending well over an hour on the phone I finaly got through to someone that "confirmed my car make" and said that as cameras don't lie pay the fine and shut up.
Still not convinced as by this stage I was definite I could not have possibly been in the area claimed, I pulled out logs from the work system which showed I was in in an area 43k's away at that time. So back on the phone to try and get a copy of the photos.
This effectively wasted another 2+ hrs and $20. plus postage.
Well I received the photos in the mail and lo and behold the car bears no resemblance to mine and the number plate is different by a couple of digits and not at all clear.
Now to get my money back for the photos, I would probably have to spend another couple of hrs at my cost greater than the $20.00 not to mention all the time I have spent already that I have zero chance of being compensated.
so either way Joe public looses. Pay a $75.00 fine or loose over $200.00 in time proving you are right.
In Victoria if you send a request to police they must provide a copy of all the evidence they intend to use, including pictures etc.

I find it funny people actually pay for this stuff, they are obliged to provide it!