Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Fiesta ST loses LED headlights in cost cutting move

Quote:
The 2021 Ford Fiesta ST has switched to cheaper headlights to cut costs – but Ford will still charge customers the same price as before.

While Model Year (MY) 2021 versions of Ford's pint-sized hot hatch are largely identical to their MY2020.75 counterparts, one significant change has been made for the new year: LED headlights are no longer available.

Whereas 2020-plate Fiesta ST models feature LED low-beam and halogen high-beam lighting, MY21 cars lose LEDs for the low-beam lights, replacing them instead with traditional halogen bulbs. LED daytime-running lights and tail-lights are retained, however.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/915236/...-my21-changes/

So they justified the price increase over the previous model being that it's a high spec car, now they take away the things that they used to justify that high price but still charge the same for it

Marketing department has their work cut out for them on this **** sandwich they just got served up.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Fiesta ST loses LED headlights in cost cutting move

Same as ST Focus.. Just deleted blind spot in it... Its 2021 and we are removing safety features?

Mustang MY21 also lost some stuff as well like acoustic windscreen and glovebox light?? How much extra does this stuff cost.

Ranger / Everest also had items deleted like Scuff plates and floor mats on Wildtrak, plus some other bits and bobs.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't Ford think they're a semi premium brand? Or have they moved on from that pipe dream and are now making their cars worse?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford up to their old tricks with discontenting. And then they wonder why customer's don't trust them any more.

Weird thing is ... I would have thought that LED are so cheap to produce these days, it would be more expensive to go back to halogen bulbs. (Ford must have found a storage shed full of old halogen bulbs they couldn't get rid of. After going through heaps of committees, then decided to slip them into a production run.)
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

time and time again.
1. can't make the car profitable?
2. take content out.
3. spend six months wondering why it won't sell.
4. discount

why not just jump straight to #4?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Ford up to their old tricks with discontenting. And then they wonder why customer's don't trust them any more.

Weird thing is ... I would have thought that LED are so cheap to produce these days, it would be more expensive to go back to halogen bulbs. (Ford must have found a storage shed full of old halogen bulbs they couldn't get rid of. After going through heaps of committees, then decided to slip them into a production run.)
Is the entire unit different?

They would save money by simply removing an additional part from the production line.

Even if the 2 headlight units are identical in cost streamlining parts alone is a saving.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am sorry but the Bean Counter Man must make another appearance to save an extra 50 cents on each car produced.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #8
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

The last couple of years has really put me off buying anything Ford.

Before I even got my learners, I owned 2 Fords. I have always, at any given point in my life, owned at least one Ford product, built at Broadmeadows. And still do. It will be up for sale soon though. That will be the last Ford that I own.

I will never purchase another new (maybe even used) Ford product as long as I'm alive. Among the many (many) disappointments, the biggest gripe for me was the lying and deceiving over the Focus/Fiesta auto gearbox saga. Quite a few of my family members were effected. Collectively, we owned 17 Ford vehicles up until about the start of last year. That number is now down to 6. All have moved away from Ford, and sworn never to return. Of the 6 Fords remaining, 3 are currently for sale. The other 3 are die hard Ford fans, but they too are on the fence.

As they say, you win some and you lose some. Sorry (not really) Ford, but you have lost a bunch of loyal, long term customers.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
time and time again.
1. can't make the car profitable?
2. take content out.
3. spend six months wondering why it won't sell.
4. discount

why not just jump straight to #4?
When do you think they'll realise they're not VW?

This reminds me of Honda attempting to emulate Toyota and failing, they killed all the good stuff and went to a premium white goods model and never came out the other side properly.

Now they're considering becoming Appliances Online.
Old 19-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same for Escape.

One of the reasons for ordering the Vignale was the heated steering wheel, heated rear seats.....deleted on MY2021.25 build..

You could argue not absolutely necessary however their removal hasn't been followed by a price drop, or info from dealer, so we've ordered a car with less features thinking specs were MY2020.75 level, pay same get less.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Thank Brexit. All the imported parts they have to bring into the UK to make the engines now cost more.

Probably start seeing similar things from Land Rover, Mini etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many people would know what the previous model had?? Maybe, thats what Ford are banking on ??
Old 19-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
How many people would know what the previous model had?? Maybe, thats what Ford are banking on ??
Despite what many here are saying, a lot of buyers wouldn't have a clue. Not many who buy cars actually read motoring news.

That goes for a lot of the salesmen too.
Old 19-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ford are not the only company that do it, they just seem to be bad or dont care enough to not make it so obvious.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Thank Brexit. All the imported parts they have to bring into the UK to make the engines now cost more.

Probably start seeing similar things from Land Rover, Mini etc.
So why not put them in an options pack and charge cost...that way buyers can pay as little as possible and Ford recoups costs.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Despite what many here are saying, a lot of buyers wouldn't have a clue. Not many who buy cars actually read motoring news.

That goes for a lot of the salesmen too.
Completely agree with this.

The exception to that is for enthusiast models like the Fiesta ST.

Having said that, if I was in the market for a Fiesta ST, things like engine performance and dynamics would be of more interest to me rather than some sparkly LED lights.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #17
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
https://www.caradvice.com.au/915236/...-my21-changes/

So they justified the price increase over the previous model being that it's a high spec car, now they take away the things that they used to justify that high price but still charge the same for it

Marketing department has their work cut out for them on this **** sandwich they just got served up.
Ford have pooped in their own bed with their restricted range and no manual option.

...just sold my Fiesta ST and bought a Hyundai i30 N-Line, looks like this:

...which is a cross between my old LV MkII Focus and a VW Golf

Nothing wrong with the ST, more so I needed something Glen would sit in and not complain that it was uncomfortable and bounced her around like a cork in a bottle.

It's a 1.6litre Turbo I4 6sp 150kW manual with most of the fruit (it's not the Premium model)

I would have been a shoe-in for a new Focus but the ST is stupidly expensive and the rest of the range are the 8sp auto...

...and I think the Hyundai would go better anyway.
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Same for Escape.

One of the reasons for ordering the Vignale was the heated steering wheel, heated rear seats.....deleted on MY2021.25 build..

You could argue not absolutely necessary however their removal hasn't been followed by a price drop, or info from dealer, so we've ordered a car with less features thinking specs were MY2020.75 level, pay same get less.
Bankers dozen - pay for 12, get 11
Old 19-01-2021, 11:03 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Ford have pooped in their own bed with their restricted range and no manual option.

...just sold my Fiesta ST and bought a Hyundai i30 N-Line, looks like this:

...which is a cross between my old LV MkII Focus and a VW Golf

Nothing wrong with the ST, more so I needed something Glen would sit in and not complain that it was uncomfortable and bounced her around like a cork in a bottle.

It's a 1.6litre Turbo I4 6sp 150kW manual with most of the fruit (it's not the Premium model)

I would have been a shoe-in for a new Focus but the ST is stupidly expensive and the rest of the range are the 8sp auto...

...and I think the Hyundai would go better anyway.
Shame to see your ST go - the old man's has clocked up nearly 140,000km now, my cousin just landed a white WZ ST for $13K DA, 100,000km on the clock, there's two in our family now

I had a ST Line Focus loan car with 1.5L 3 cyl turbo and 8sp auto, too expensive for what you get.

Ford is poor value for money these days.

No manual is a killer for me and the old man, we prefer changing our own gears in our small dailies.
Old 19-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #20
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is the entire unit different?

They would save money by simply removing an additional part from the production line.

Even if the 2 headlight units are identical in cost streamlining parts alone is a saving.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
In Germany where the Fiesta ST is made everyone drives on the right. European regulations insist the inside (i.e. LH) headlight has a cut-out in the throw pattern so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

Like this (but the other way around for LH drive):

They also insist on a hard cut-off so low-beam in my ST had a distinct line where all light ended, which around here was not really what is needed for avoiding kangaroos when encountering on-coming traffic.

This makes no sense in the few markets Ford has that drive on the left so they have to make a different set of headlights for that market...

...it also means the US brethren with their Mexico-assembled Fiestas with halogen headlights would have to source their replacement projector/LED headlight units from Germany and not from the UK

I can sort-of understand the economics around it but it's still penny-pinching.

Last edited by Ratmick; 19-01-2021 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 19-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #21
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Shame to see your ST go - the old man's has clocked up nearly 140,000km now, my cousin just landed a white WZ ST for $13K DA, 100,000km on the clock, there's two in our family now

I had a ST Line Focus loan car with 1.5L 3 cyl turbo and 8sp auto, too expensive for what you get.

Ford is poor value for money these days.

No manual is a killer for me and the old man, we prefer changing our own gears in our small dailies.
Yeah I'll be sorry to see it go, it really was a driver's car.

Not 100% suited to Australian roads, but I loved driving it.

I ended up doing 99% of the driving in it by myself (and not much at all this year due to COVID) as my partner thinks it's:
  1. Too uncomfortable
  2. Too 'bouncy'
  3. Too hard to reach the seatbelt
  4. Too easy to get wedged between the back seat and the front seat if you slip off the seat off getting out of the back (don't ask, long story).
Plus I drive like a hoon in it, apparently.

...although she also levels that one at me when I drive her Mazda 2, so maybe it's just me and small nippy cars

It's only done ~29,000km in four years...
Old 19-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Yeah I'll be sorry to see it go, it really was a driver's car.

Not 100% suited to Australian roads, but I loved driving it.

I ended up doing 99% of the driving in it by myself (and not much at all this year due to COVID) as my partner thinks it's:
  1. Too uncomfortable
  2. Too 'bouncy'
  3. Too hard to reach the seatbelt
  4. Too easy to get wedged between the back seat and the front seat if you slip off the seat off getting out of the back (don't ask, long story).
Plus I drive like a hoon in it, apparently.

...although she also levels that one at me when I drive her Mazda 2, so maybe it's just me and small nippy cars

It's only done ~29,000km in four years...
Yeah, seems to be a common theme amongst the non enlightened family members, anyone who has no interest in cars hates them for all of the above reasons.

People who whinge about them being uncomfortable, I've done Adelaide to Melbourne and return 6 times in the old man's ST, avoiding the Western Highway, I only ever stop once for fuel in Tailem Bend which is about 600km non stop driving and I can still walk afterwards so they're not as bad as people make out
Old 20-01-2021, 12:00 AM   #23
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeah, seems to be a common theme amongst the non enlightened family members, anyone who has no interest in cars hates them for all of the above reasons.

People who whinge about them being uncomfortable, I've done Adelaide to Melbourne and return 6 times in the old man's ST, avoiding the Western Highway, I only ever stop once for fuel in Tailem Bend which is about 600km non stop driving and I can still walk afterwards so they're not as bad as people make out
Yeah that is pretty keen mate

I've driven mine as far as Wodonga and back, really not too bad.

I helped #1 son move to a different unit in Romsey last weekend and I am suffering paying for it now .

When I drove the ST down to the Dealer yesterday it was quite uncomfortable trying to move my ample backside around in the Recaros and get a position so my right leg didn't ache.

...all good today
Old 20-01-2021, 01:00 AM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It makes me wonder if Hyundai is going to be the new Ford?

I20N is coming, there's the I30N already.

Kia has the Stinger which is part of the same group.

South Korean the new American?
Old 20-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
So why not put them in an options pack and charge cost...that way buyers can pay as little as possible and Ford recoups costs.
Yeah, they really should. Would be better than not having them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick
In Germany where the Fiesta ST is made everyone drives on the right. European regulations insist the inside (i.e. LH) headlight has a cut-out in the throw pattern so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

Like this (but the other way around for LH drive):

They also insist on a hard cut-off so low-beam in my ST had a distinct line where all light ended, which around here was not really what is needed for avoiding kangaroos when encountering on-coming traffic.

This makes no sense in the few markets Ford has that drive on the left so they have to make a different set of headlights for that market...

...it also means the US brethren with their Mexico-assembled Fiestas with halogen headlights would have to source their replacement projector/LED headlight units from Germany and not from the UK

I can sort-of understand the economics around it but it's still penny-pinching.
The Fiesta is finished in the US. No longer sell them there. Focus neither.
Old 20-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It makes me wonder if Hyundai is going to be the new Ford?

I20N is coming, there's the I30N already.

Kia has the Stinger which is part of the same group.

South Korean the new American?
Not even close. No pedigree, no history, and the only rwd they sell (the Stinger) is gone within a couple of years. The little facelift it just got is it's last, before it is discontinued due to poor sales.

The i30N is a good thing though. And the i20N is supposed to be pretty good too. But it takes much more than a couple of fwd hot hatches to have a real performance image. Hell, even dull as dish water companies like Honda and Peugeot have them.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #27
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Having said that, if I was in the market for a Fiesta ST, things like engine performance and dynamics would be of more interest to me rather than some sparkly LED lights.
This.

The Fiesta ST Mk 8 is just a very well engineered balanced car. Everything is balanced from engine, gearbox, chassis, brakes, compromise between handling and every day driveability. It reminds me of a Porsche- a little over engineered and finessed, like a velvet glove without the raw edges that normally come with so many performance Fords.

But that should be no surprise given this thing was created by European enthusiast engineers and built in Germany. It has a certain magic fairy dust sprinked over it that you suck in and that just makes you smile.

Simple fact is that in Australia we are getting a good package with the quaiff diff. LED lights is not as a rule better than usual halogen lights/xenon etc. Depends on the lights themselves.

Yes, there is now the Hyundai I20 and I30- whether they have that integrated engineering that the ST Fiesta does and whether they make you smile like the Fiesta ST does only you can tell after driving them all and making your own decision.

Instead of bemoaning lack of LEDs celebrate that Australia gets this little handling classic which has that Ford European DNA hot hatch heritage and finessed engineering whereas countries like USA do not get them.

And the Australian pricing compared to what they are sold for in Europe is very competitive. But sometimes people are never satisfied and just whine and whine....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #28
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
This.

Instead of bemoaning lack of LEDs celebrate that Australia gets this little handling classic which has that Ford European DNA hot hatch heritage and finessed engineering whereas countries like USA do not get them.

And the Australian pricing compared to what they are sold for in Europe is very competitive. But sometimes people are never satisfied and just whine and whine....
I'm frankly surprised Ford even bothered to offer the ST without the volume afforded by having the full range available.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the ST, I have not even seen one on the road yet.

How are you liking the 3-pot engine?
Mustang GT

Old 21-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #29
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

How are you liking the 3-pot engine?
Certainly has personality, pulls hard especially in second gear and above (first gear is power/torque limited). Is very torquey, and makes nice noises -exhaust pops and turbo whistles, and has a nice growl.

Very quick when in gear in 3rd and 4th due to wide torque curve that is fat.

I would like it from 5,000 to the 6,300 odd redline to get that rush that the Miami does as well as multi valve naturally atmo sports engines, but it feels more flat and linear in that zone.

But that I suppose is the price -less cylinders =more torque, at expense of power up high.

My wife likes it, today driving back from Sydney I booted it in sports mode in 2nd and then 3rd, and she commented on it as having "quite a growl"- and cutting traffic she likes me hitting the torque bloom as it is a smooth punch. If I boot the Miami with her in it I am generally not in her good books-I think she is scared of that beast.

It is a very balanced engine with the chassis, but for me performance Fords should be a little overpowered for the chassis to make it seem a little unhinged.

Personally I am thinking I would like to get a bigger intercooler and a Revo tune to get some 180 kw and close to 400nm, that would make it slightly unhinged for me.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #30
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I know it will most likely have an element of augmented sound pumped into the cabin, but I like the gravely note the 1.5 3 cylinder makes, sounds just a bit different to all the other thrashy four-pot hot hatches.

In car sounds from 5.09 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3Jey3ayyI
Mustang GT

2 users like this post: