Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #211
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Coronavirus scare causing markets to fall

This is great reading.

I come from a background of people so risk-averse they actually damage their assets by under-committing.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #212
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Solid past few days on the markets - ASX200 the highest it has been since the pandemic in March last year and seems to be rallying on the back of the new Biden administration.

I wonder how all those folk posting previously about buying gold and putting their cash under their beds are going?

edit: Not to mention those worried about their super who switched to Cash at the completely wrong time...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #213
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Solid past few days on the markets - ASX200 the highest it has been since the pandemic in March last year and seems to be rallying on the back of the new Biden administration.

I wonder how all those folk posting previously about buying gold and putting their cash under their beds are going?

edit: Not to mention those worried about their super who switched to Cash at the completely wrong time...
^^^^Exactly^^^^

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #214
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

What are you expecting to happen when Biden starts locking down the country due to covid though? Can only imagine what that will do to the US economy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #215
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah I get what you are saying, but from the tracking I have been doing, apart from the initial shock at the start of the pandemic, lockdowns haven't seemed to have had that much of an impact at all. The ASX, Dow, Nikkei, Hang Seng, FTSE etc have all recovered and remain reasonably strong.

To your point though, the US hasn't really had a hard lockdown before, so I guess we will wait and see. Regardless, it's certainly hasn't been the doom and gloom that some had predicted way back in March.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #216
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post

My super is going great guns and I'm only in a balanced option. I probably should have split at least some into high growth but oh well

I definitely lost money in the Covid downturn (I had less money than I contributed) in the last half but still more than the previous FY, but it has now swung the other way in that my earnings YTD are far outstripping my contributions by a lot.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 21-01-2021 at 06:23 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #217
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Now $149.00

https://www.marketindex.com.au/asx/apt
Old 21-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #218
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Wow... amazing price rise there.

The radio was talking about a company that went up 5,000% in the last year. They are involved with lithium I think?

Vulcan was their name I believe.

Five.... thousand.... percent.... yikes.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #219
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wow... amazing price rise there.

The radio was talking about a company that went up 5,000% in the last year. They are involved with lithium I think?

Vulcan was their name I believe.

Five.... thousand.... percent.... yikes.
https://www.marketindex.com.au/asx/vul
Old 22-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #220
hayseed

Quote:
And has never paid a Dividend...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #221
au2xr85.0
Fridgy

Any micro forex traders in here? i'm looking to try it out, curious of the strategies used by these brokers.
Old 22-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #222
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
And has never paid a Dividend...
Yep. It's a $40b promise effectively.
Old 22-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #223
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, up 7789%.

These type (SFR, QGC, VUL, CHN) of securities are the types that turn your average small cap trader willing to put $50-$100k on the line into multi millionaires.

Anything that bags 20-50 fold when you've got a minimum of 1/2 million heads will make you wheelbarrows full of cash

REE, Lithium is the next tech stock.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #224
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2xr85.0 View Post
Any micro forex traders in here? i'm looking to try it out, curious of the strategies used by these brokers.
Nup, too risky

Just read the small print on Plus 500 and eTorro, 76% of retail investors lose more than their initial investment.

You can make a fortune though if you know how to trade.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #225
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Nup, too risky

Just read the small print on Plus 500 and eTorro, 76% of retail investors lose more than their initial investment.

You can make a fortune though if you know how to trade.
Stay away from Plus500, there are reports of some pretty dodgy practices there even though they are regulated. I had read about them and thought it was just sore losers bagging out the platform, until I experienced it first hand. I had positions in Ethereum when it was in the 300s last year, then one day it took a massive dive, hit my stop loss, then rebounded and never looked back. There are reports of this happening for people who take sizable positions. The dive can just be for a split second.

You know something doesn't smell right when they offer "online gambling" style rewards i.e. deposit x and we'll give you x bonus which you need to turnover x number of times!

Rom is right, you can make good $$$ trading the traditional way.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #226
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Stay away from Plus500, there are reports of some pretty dodgy practices there even though they are regulated. I had read about them and thought it was just sore losers bagging out the platform, until I experienced it first hand. I had positions in Ethereum when it was in the 300s last year, then one day it took a massive dive, hit my stop loss, then rebounded and never looked back. There are reports of this happening for people who take sizable positions. The dive can just be for a split second.

You know something doesn't smell right when they offer "online gambling" style rewards i.e. deposit x and we'll give you x bonus which you need to turnover x number of times!

Rom is right, you can make good $$$ trading the traditional way.

Agree - I had the same happen with etorro

Whilst I have made plenty - I had a similar experience with xrp, cost me 10k.

The convenience is great but there is a price you pay - the spreads are worse and i swear they are slower to respond when it's rising but quicker to show the loss

I use a local outfit now - mostly sick to funds with half doz selected companies - easier and don't waste so much time keeping an eye on everything and still averaging about 20pc pa

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #227
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what do we think of this whole GameStop situation going on?

We all know that a lot of people take a dim view of shorts but these funds know that it is risky to take these positions because the loss is technically infinite.

Since a huge amount of individual traders have got together to put it to them, it has now become a story whereas I doubt we'd hear about it in the mainstream had another fund done the same thing
Old 29-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #228
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
So what do we think of this whole GameStop situation going on?

We all know that a lot of people take a dim view of shorts but these funds know that it is risky to take these positions because the loss is technically infinite.

Since a huge amount of individual traders have got together to put it to them, it has now become a story whereas I doubt we'd hear about it in the mainstream had another fund done the same thing
I say ead to all the hedge funds that lost money. The pricks are crying poor because ordinary people used their tactics against them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #229
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I say ead to all the hedge funds that lost money. The pricks are crying poor because ordinary people used their tactics against them.
That is my view too. The funds use their huge amount of capital to bend the markets all the time.

As soon as a collective forms to counter it, then there's whinging about the ethics of it
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #230
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw pre-market GME at $420. They can’t stop the hold.

The Reddit guys took an opportunity to squeeze the life out of a hedge fund that was taking an opportunity to squeeze the life out of a stock. Now the financial establishment is engaging in special pleading.

FMD 140% of stocks were shorted, any stock with that sort of short interest deserves a looksee.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #231
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It smacks of hypocrisy. Protect the big guys from getting ****ed in the ****, and what all the little guys have done is the worse thing on the earth
Old 29-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #232
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It smacks of hypocrisy. Protect the big guys from getting ****ed in the ****, and what all the little guys have done is the worse thing on the earth
Losses of 14.3 billion just yesterday for the shorters, excluding any other losses I think.

On the good side, from the original thread there is a long time investor who has been bullish the stock the whole way. Initial investment of 50k and been reinvesting, yesterday his stock was worth 40 mill, good luck to him.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2021, 02:49 AM   #233
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Losses of 14.3 billion just yesterday for the shorters, excluding any other losses I think.

On the good side, from the original thread there is a long time investor who has been bullish the stock the whole way. Initial investment of 50k and been reinvesting, yesterday his stock was worth 40 mill, good luck to him.
I hope he was able to close that, set them and all the family they didn't know existed for a couple of life times .

Part of the controversy was an app putting in trading halt due to market volatility, freezing out the little guy while the big wigs just keep doing what they do every day on their platforms.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #234
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any APT holders? Peaked on 10th February near $160, closed at $119 on Friday. Some speculators still think its $100 overvalued. APT is a $34B promisory note.

Reserve banks are throwing everything including the kitchen sink to try and keep inflation under control. Hope they're able to otherwise the housing sector is doomed.
Old 28-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #235
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Any APT holders? Peaked on 10th February near $160, closed at $119 on Friday. Some speculators still think its $100 overvalued. APT is a $34B promisory note.

Reserve banks are throwing everything including the kitchen sink to try and keep inflation under control. Hope they're able to otherwise the housing sector is doomed.
Yep.

Keep in mind at $119 it's still 3x it's pre-covid levels (it dropped to a low of $9 briefly when all stocks collapsed in late march 2020). Lot's of people want it written off, but I think it'll ultimately be a $250+ share. APT's global expansion is only just beginning.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #236
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Nudging this thread, post-Afterpay announcement. Five months on; almost half a year and it feels like we’re simply treading water. In denial about spending, all parties unwilling to gently throttle housing…
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #237
au2xr85.0
Fridgy

well my super has rebounded even though the industry is still hurting from lockdowns, i'm seeing a $22.5k growth from my Australian Super Fund just on the last FY
Old 04-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #238
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yep, up 7789%.

These type (SFR, QGC, VUL, CHN) of securities are the types that turn your average small cap trader willing to put $50-$100k on the line into multi millionaires.

Anything that bags 20-50 fold when you've got a minimum of 1/2 million heads will make you wheelbarrows full of cash

REE, Lithium is the next tech stock.
5 family members went into VUL @ 0.32c June '20
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #239
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Nudging this thread, post-Afterpay announcement. Five months on; almost half a year and it feels like we’re simply treading water. In denial about spending, all parties unwilling to gently throttle housing…
The team at Square definitely gave APT the little boost it needed. It closed at $97 on Friday, Today it's $127... Easy money for some
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #240
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra is less of a terd today, ive been bag holding for 4 years, am finally breaking even... time to flick it off soon.

Must go read why it went up, saw theyre doing a share buy back and an (expected) 8c dividend, didnt delve into the deets yet.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post