Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #361
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ok, what is wrong with people! Hoarding toilet paper...

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #362
marty351
Shenanigans..............

$1.00 per role. lol
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #363
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in hills foodlands today, their warehouse deliveries are being rationed on everything, most have 1-2 item limits across the range with shelves still empty.
They ARE holding back stock of TP, if it all goes out at once it will be gone within half an hour, most are restocking the shelves staggered through the day to give more people a chance. They are also holding back stock for the retiree hour in the morning. Manufacturers are now packaging into smaller packs (2 and 4 rolls) to help things.
Still, with a 1 pack limit I witnessed a lady in the car park loading her 1x4 pack into to boot alongside...........her 3 other 4 packs of the same. I swear it’s like a mental illness with some people.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #364
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Ok, what is wrong with people! Hording toilet paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
How bad are things in Vic? I've never seen a shortage of fresh veg in WA, it's just no pasta, baked beans, TP etc. I stick to the same old single persons diet of basically that, so it's annoying for me but I have no lack of fresh stuff. Usually it was beans on toast, sardines and pasta, rice and veg stirfry, or a salad sandwich and so on, forever; with the occasional meat product in a pita wrap or meat pie and chips if on sale.
They're just struggling to get it to the stores. They had Coles fully stocked of fruit and veg yesterday. I got a couple of items that was needed. I heard later that it was cleaned out by lunch time. Funny enough haven't hoarded anything and have enough food in the house to get by. Hopefully this hording does calm down.
Old 21-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #365
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
WTF? I don't need a lecture every time you post.

My observation was;
Coles- had all supplies
Woolworths - empty.

I have no affiliation to either. Happy to buy from either.

My post purely fact not opinion.
Woolies has struggled from the beginning of this. Coles seems to to be fairing better. I would assume they will look at their supply chain in the future as it's exposed a hole in their process.
Old 21-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #366
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
$1.00 per role. lol

Yesterday my local IGA put out behind the counter about 200 individually wrapped commercial style 2 ply rolls. A big SPECIAL sign above them. Price was $2.99 each!

Since this is the only supermarket in town, the public weren't very impressed. By mid afternoon, the price dropped to $0.99 per roll.

No other choice of TP available here.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #367
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Woolies has struggled from the beginning of this. Coles seems to to be fairing better. I would assume they will look at their supply chain in the future as it's exposed a hole in their process.
CEO of Woolies was on the telly night before last. They would normally supply 4.2 Millon Australians their groceries in a week.

Last week they supplied the equivalent of 50 million Australians, they sold more than they do the week before Christmas.

For the Christmas week they start planning 3 months out, "top loading" shelves and holding as much stock as they can so they meet the demand.

No one could have foreseen what has happened in the last week or so. I'm not defending the big grocery suppliers, but it is not a problem of supply there is plenty to go around.

Some people must be sitting on a mountain of groceries much of which they probably will not use. I have also heard rumours of organised crime trying to take advantage of the situation.

Australia produces; way, way more food then we could ever eat. Much of our production goes overseas. At the moment overseas markets are in doubt so all that extra overseas production has to go back into the local market.

There are no shortages; we actually have too much food.
Old 21-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #368
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Australia exports about 60% of the meat we produce.

At the moment export markets are in doubt, all that top quality meat for export will have to be sold here. So wholesalers will lower their prices to unload all the meat they have.

I went to my regular butcher yesterday to pick up my usual shop. They have employed a security guard so only two people in the shop at a time.

The shop has been cleaned out of meat every day this week; the butchers have been doing big hours to try and meat (sic) demand.

My butcher also put up his prices 33%! In a market that will soon be flooded with cheap top quality meat.
Old 21-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #369
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post

At the moment export markets are in doubt, all that top quality meat for export will have to be sold here. So wholesalers will lower their prices to unload all the meat they have.

My butcher also put up his prices 33%! In a market that will soon be flooded with cheap top quality meat.
I suspect this butcher will soon have a "WHOPPING 33% OFF SALE" soon.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #370
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I suspect this butcher will soon have a "WHOPPING 33% OFF SALE" soon.
I'll take that bet. Nah, better not. The steaks are too high.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #371
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
CEO of Woolies was on the telly night before last. They would normally supply 4.2 Millon Australians their groceries in a week.

Last week they supplied the equivalent of 50 million Australians, they sold more than they do the week before Christmas.

For the Christmas week they start planning 3 months out, "top loading" shelves and holding as much stock as they can so they meet the demand.

No one could have foreseen what has happened in the last week or so. I'm not defending the big grocery suppliers, but it is not a problem of supply there is plenty to go around.

Some people must be sitting on a mountain of groceries much of which they probably will not use. I have also heard rumours of organised crime trying to take advantage of the situation.

Australia produces; way, way more food then we could ever eat. Much of our production goes overseas. At the moment overseas markets are in doubt so all that extra overseas production has to go back into the local market.

There are no shortages; we actually have too much food.
They must have been hit harder than Coles than. Coles has managed to restock better than woolies.
Old 21-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #372
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Times must have changed. I used to take full loads of meat from a Melb abattoirs to Maccas in Syd.

Abattoirs staff there said that the Maccas meat was better quality than the export stuff.
Old 21-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #373
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Times must have changed. I used to take full loads of meat from a Melb abattoirs to Maccas in Syd.

Abattoirs staff there said that the Maccas meat was better quality than the export stuff.
I'm sure that's true but we export meat to over 100 different countries, so I imagine the quality will depend on what each market is prepared to pay.

I suspect the meat Japan buys from Australia is better quality than Maccas is perpared to pay for.
Old 21-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #374
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Maccas was the best I’d hate to see the worst. What torture do they expose a decent piece of meat to ? I knew a girl with similar cooking talents once
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #375
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am waiting for the 1st news story to report break and enters on the rise.
They will leave the jewellery, laptops ect and only take the Toilet Paper.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #376
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

We've had trolley theft in the last few days whereby thieves are targeting the elderly.
A few days ago an old man stopped to buy something from a mall diner and when he let go of his trolley to pick up his purchase someone grabbed the trolley and ran with it, a number of witnesses chipped in some money and Coles topped him up for free and we now have security everywhere.
This morning I believe a lady had her trolley load stolen as she went to open the boot of her car.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #377
nstg8a

We loaded out 20 semi loads of toilet paper and paper towels today, all destined for Brisbane woolies stores. Done the same thing since I started here on Wednesday.

There’s must be a frigging giant pile of bog rolls somewhere....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #378
MercuryT
Banned

I hope most waomen argue over toilet paper forever.

The good ones are then left to date.

Silver lining.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #379
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Panic buying on Brussels Sprouts people...

Go...
Old 21-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #380
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to Woolies today and got less than half of what was on my list but enough to get on with a bit. Only thing full is the booze shop

Way worse then last week despite everything they are doing to keep up. What a bunch of dumb ****s we are acting like
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #381
.:4:.
Kicking back

Id be more afraid if the bottlos had empty shelves. I went to my local woolies earlier today, and yes the bog roll aisle was bare, but the deli had no shortage of twiggy sticks, and that was what i was there for. Good old mystery meats.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #382
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
They ARE holding back stock of TP, if it all goes out at once it will be gone within half an hour, most are restocking the shelves staggered through the day to give more people a chance.
This has to be true - last week I did some work and drive past a small shopping complex on the way home.

Tuesday I stumbled upon the last few pacvks of toilet paper from Aldi - I got a 4 pack. Had I been 10 seconds later I would have none.

Woolies had nothing.

Thursday I tried my luck again - this time going to Woolies first where they were handing out 8 packs from a pallet.

I got a pack. Had I been 30 seconds later I would have had none.

Friday I tried my luck again. No toilet paper but paper towel rolls were just being stocked. I got a pack. Had I been 45 seconds later I would have missed out.

All happened around 4pm.

I pack of TP for my uncle and auntie, the other for my parents who are all in the 70's and can't spend a day running around.

Plus, as of today they are in lock down as both my uncle and father have medical issues.

I started working in the city at 3pm today. Uncle asked for frozen veggies.

The local Coles had quite a few options actually, and I noticed huge piles (hundreds of units) of different types of 1kg rice.

So, hopefully people have realised their madness and toned it down.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #383
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

So, hopefully people have realised their madness and toned it down.
Or they have started to run out of money.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #384
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

just scored a 4 pack. Lucky I am down to my last 349 rolls.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #385
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
just scored a 4 pack. Lucky I am down to my last 349 rolls.
Mate... learn Mandarin or team up with the female dog above and you can retire by next week...

You're sitting on a gold mine there

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #386
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ok, what is wrong with people! Hording toilet paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr View Post
Herd friggin mentality spurred on by a media frenzy - why is it that people have to line up and now shop every day of the week - how much money is being spent - it will pass, but at what cost.

PPS I survived the madness - but what do I do with the ten freezers of food and two hundred and fifty rolls of toilet paper stashed away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
How tight do you have to be to take a non perishable back to the supermarket for a refund. Sounds like someone got swept up in the excitement of buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Or they have started to run out of money.
cant wait to see the Gov step in to help the hoarders pay their rent or mortgage in weeks to come if the country ends up in lock down and we have to live on our savings , savings the hoarders have spent on unnecessary purchases

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #387
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and i havent heard of any shortage of our rail division being able to deliver tp as of late
https://imgur.com/ALnShkm
and thats one of many 48" containers that um well pass thru the depot daily full of tp
even tho my depot had a ute drive in and raid the depots supply of tp from the bottom office store room

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #388
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Went shopping at coles Wyndhmvale at about 9:30 today (west of Melbourne). Plenty of sausages, mince, chicken, some pasta sauce, bags of rice, lots of fresh fruit / vegetables.

No toilet paper, but a pallet was brought out just as we pulled up to register. No rushing. No panicking. I get the feeling they stagger it through the day.

Delivery restrictions on trucks are lifted so that will surely help.

I do get the feeling that once this settles down, toilet paper will be heavily discounted!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #389
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've visited Foodland, Drakes Foodland, Coles and woolies in my area 4 times each in the last 36hrs just to do our regular fortnightly shopping as no one has had everything we need as a family of 5 in one visit and haven't seen 1 toilet roll in any of them.
If the Government want to stop the panic buying then they need to kick the supermarkets ***** into getting the shelves restocked somehow, because nothing makes people panic buy more than thinking there is a shortage and aisle after aisle of empty shelves certainly gives you the feeling that there is a supply problem.
I don't even need toilet paper but after seeing how hard it is to get out our way, I reckon i'd buy it if I found it just because I could and im starting to think that's the problem, its no longer a 'hoarding' purchase but now an 'opportune' buy.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #390
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Did this for years down on the farm, shouldn't be a problem going back to it

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: