Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Default Vfacts February 2011

Any early figures?

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Aussie stuff not out yet, so a bit of a teaser from the states.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/b...arrel-edition/

Quote:
COMPANIES 2011 2010
Ford Mo Co 156,626 137,644

GM 207,028 138,849
Toyota Mo Co 141,846 100,027
Nissan NA 92,370 70,189
American Honda 98,059 80,671
Jaguar Land Rover 3,247 2,793
BMW Group 19,919 17,971
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM 270, 028!!!! That is crazy..........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
GM 270, 028!!!! That is crazy..........

But 207,028 just a little less crazy.

But its a matter of how much profit did those cars make.

Quote:
GM February incentives clearly exceeded the industry average. Johnson said GM incentives accounted for 13% of the industry's average transaction price, while the industry average was 10.6%. Experts say GM leads the industry in incentive spending.
Remember, they were the second biggest car company (in terms of sales) and still went into bankruptcy.

And a great result like that would normally be met with an increase in share price, but GM shares actually fell after the sales announcement. Shares are currently trading lower than the intial public offering in NOV. 10.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Predictons:

Falcon - struggle to get 2000
Commodore - struggle to get 3500

Corolla to be #1 seller in Feb
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
But 207,028 just a little less crazy.

Ha ha, got me numbers back to front. Still, 200k plus is a crazy amount of vehicles to sell and not make a profit?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ha ha, got me numbers back to front. Still, 200k plus is a crazy amount of vehicles to sell and not make a profit?
They made a $4.7 billion profit this financial year.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
They made a $4.7 billion profit this financial year.

But thats just the problem. In the last 3 months of last year, they only made a $500 million profit worldwide (so the stock analysts assumed things were getting harder for GM in the last 3 months of 2010).

Then they come out with Feb 2011 Sales of 207,000, and news that to get those sales, they have been offering up to $3800 per vehicle in incentives. Higher than all the others, and nearly $2000 per car higher than the likes of Toyota.

Ford have come out and said they arent going to match GM in the incentives. Now one has to wonder -
1) Are GM now resorting back to old ways to try and boost sales at expense of profits
2) Has the government bailout, given GM the firepower to screw other manufacturers, to start selling cars below cost.
3) If GM sold around 2 million cars worldwide in the last 3 months of last year, and only made $500 million, they are only making $250 a car. If these are boom times for them, they aint gonna want to see bad times again.

Remember GM lost about $100 billion (not sure the exact amount) in creditors money in the bankrptcy, and the US government is currently sitting on a $10 billion loss if it was to sell all its shares. These losses occur in a roundabout way because GM transfers this money into selling cars for less than it profitablely takes to make them. It in turn causes the other manufacturers to carry out dodgy businesses practices just to keep up.

Last edited by bobthebilda; 03-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
DETROIT – General Motors Company (NYSE: GM) today announced its calendar year 2010 results marked by $4.7 billion of net income attributable to common stockholders for its first full year of operations.

Revenue for the calendar year was $135.6 billion. Automotive cash flow from operating activities was $6.6 billion and automotive free cash flow was $2.4 billion, both reflecting the impact of a $4.0 billion voluntary cash contribution to the company’s U.S. pension plans.

“Last year was one of foundation building,” said Dan Akerson, chairman and chief executive officer. “Particularly pleasing was that we demonstrated GM’s ability to achieve sustainable profitability near the bottom of the U.S. industry cycle, with four consecutive profitable quarters.”

GM generated the following results:
more here http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../0224_earnings
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
DougM

Don't forget it's easy to make a profit when the government gives them tax breaks of $billions that they don't have to pay!!!!!!!
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
RATT
In a Pug..

Ford
Ford Escape 362
Ford Falcon 1,572
Ford Falcon Ute 591
Ford Fiesta 1,160
Ford Focus 1,050
Ford Mondeo 735
Ford Ranger 4X2 314
Ford Ranger 4X4 894
Ford Territory 779
Ford Transit 117
Ford Transit Bus 6
Ford Transit C/C 22
TOTAL 7,602 up 6.4% on same period last yr

Holden
Holden Barina 551
Holden Barina Spark 378
Holden Caprice 168
Holden Captiva 5 175
Holden Captiva 7 704
Holden Colorado 4X2 69
Holden Colorado 4X4 923
Holden Combo 44
Holden Commodore 3,829
Holden Cruze 2,582
Holden Epica 77
Holden Utility 4X2 814
TOTAL 10,314 Down 8% on same period last yr
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
The Snout

Epica 77 . That's a big 'no' from the public.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Epica 77 . That's a big 'no' from the public.
I think Epica is finished till the new one rolls in...

Commodore is killing Falcon... 2257 more Commodores then falcon
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

Aussie Produced:

Commodore: 3829
Falcon+Ute+Territory: 2942

A bit closer.

Does this Commodore figure include the ute?

Will increase in disparity when Cruze goes local.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Aussie Produced:

Commodore: 3829
Falcon+Ute+Territory: 2942

A bit closer.

Does this Commodore figure include the ute?

Will increase in disparity when Cruze goes local.
Nope you missed ute and caprice...

Holden Utility 4X2 814
Holden Caprice 168
Holden Commodore 3,829

Total 4811

Fords 1 kill program is finally starting to catch up with them, no wagon, no Fairlane... Holden would be starting to profit from VE now, its over 4 years old and is pretty much the same car as it was in 2006... All the R&D would be paid for.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think Epica is finished till the new one rolls in...

Did a bit of a small round trip out of Melb and back on Tuesday, say 300km total and I was really surprised at the number of new Commodore sedans and wagons in the carparks of different government "type" bodies such as SES, Fire etc...all signed up etc...I counted 5 in the newish emergency services precinct at Pakenham alone.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
JG34JA

Quote:
Nope you missed ute and caprice...

Holden Utility 4X2 814
Holden Caprice 168
Holden Commodore 3,829

Total 4811

Fords 1 kill program is finally starting to catch up with them, no wagon, no Fairlane... Holden would be starting to profit from VE now, its over 4 years old and is pretty much the same car as it was in 2006... All the R&D would be paid for.
Ah, cheers. I tend to agree with you about the culling and its impact, too. GM-H should do some pretty healthy volume with Cruze ofshoots + VE variants...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't be good..ute sales down lower than commo ute. Territory sales down, Captiva is almost matching it (expected though with the new one this year) and Falcon sales low like usual
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

This new LPG system and Ecoboost can't come soon enough for the Falcon.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Not too bad to be honest... Sure Falc is on a low at the moment..

but let's wait for the updates and the gas to come back online (and maybe even XR8) then we can reassess...?

But hey, even with those low numbers, Ford might even turn a profit!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are Holden selling Epica along side Cruze? They are the same size and segment.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden need to get their dedicated lpg into the wagon somehow, even if they got half of the old 400 fleet falcon wagons a month it would be worth it.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Did a bit of a small round trip out of Melb and back on Tuesday, say 300km total and I was really surprised at the number of new Commodore sedans and wagons in the carparks of different government "type" bodies such as SES, Fire etc...all signed up etc...I counted 5 in the newish emergency services precinct at Pakenham alone.
You would have to wonder what sort of prices Holden are offering offshoots of Victorian Government departments to get these sales. Otherwise you have to look at the other facts-

Fords supplier vicinity would be alot denser/closer than Holdens (ie alot of Holden supplies, especiallyTier 3, come via melbourne), and Ford have the obvious advantage in that it doesnt have to cart a car 700 kilomtres to its customer.

Whats the logic of a government thats expouses greeness, and yet gets a sedan delivered from 700 kilomtres away, when one is made within 20 kilometres of it (and even closer when you consider Toyota).

The Victorian government creates electricity from non renewable resources, sends it to Ford (210km away) , Toyota (200 km away) and GM (920 kilomtres away), and then decides to buy cars from Holden, which require (560 litres/8 cars) 70 litres per car to get it back to Melbourne. And then you have the Ex premier of Victoria asking the Feds to set up a fund to promote a green car initiative.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not suprising.. Holden has a better fleet program and having Sedan Wagon LWB allows large fleets a variety of cars from the 1 manfacturer, eg. caprice for Managment, sedans for lower management and wagons for rep's.

People think that killing the wagon / Fairlane was what potentially saved Falcon, but Ford haven't just lost Fairlane and wagon sales, they have lost sedans and ute sales by axing them too!

I can't see how they can profit from such low numbers when you factor in fixed overhead costs and R&D finance cost, I know it comes back to the old profit verse volume on each vehicle but at the end of the day I think they need to get their acts together sooner then later!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
You would have to wonder what sort of prices Holden are offering offshoots of Victorian Government departments to get these sales. Otherwise you have to look at the other facts-

Fords supplier vicinity would be alot denser/closer than Holdens (ie alot of Holden supplies, especiallyTier 3, come via melbourne), and Ford have the obvious advantage in that it doesnt have to cart a car 700 kilomtres to its customer.

Whats the logic of a government thats expouses greeness, and yet gets a sedan delivered from 700 kilomtres away, when one is made within 20 kilometres of it (and even closer when you consider Toyota).

The Victorian government creates electricity from non renewable resources, sends it to Ford (210km away) , Toyota (200 km away) and GM (920 kilomtres away), and then decides to buy cars from Holden, which require (560 litres/8 cars) 70 litres per car to get it back to Melbourne. And then you have the Ex premier of Victoria asking the Feds to set up a fund to promote a green car initiative.
To be honest it wouldn't worry them, it comes down to what the car costs to buy then sell after the lease period.. Transports just a factor the manufacturer has to cover...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
holden need to get their dedicated lpg into the wagon somehow, even if they got half of the old 400 fleet falcon wagons a month it would be worth it.

No companies like Telstra and Siemens need space in the back. I know seimens has moved to the Mondeo. Telstra I believe have taken a ute with canopy now.

Quote:
Did a bit of a small round trip out of Melb and back on Tuesday, say 300km total and I was really surprised at the number of new Commodore sedans and wagons in the carparks of different government "type" bodies such as SES, .
SES is not sponsored by the government, they actually get money from AAMI. Also Ford give them staff discounts for their vehicles.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...303-1bfl3.html

Quote:
Buyers flock to thirsty 4WDs Richard Blackburn
March 3, 2011 - 12:19PM

The threat of higher petrol prices has done little to dampen enthusiasm for fuel-guzzling 4WDs.

Economists may be predicting petrol will hit the $1.50 mark soon, but that hasn’t stopped Australian car buyers lining up for the thirstiest cars on the market.

Figures released today show that large SUVs bucked the overall softening in the new-car market last month, with sales jumping by more than a third.

Sales of the V8-powered Toyota LandCruiser are up by a quarter so far this year, Nissan Patrol sales doubled last month. Luxury SUVs and four-wheel-drive utes also recorded healthy increases in sales in February.

Advertisement: Story continues below In contrast, sales of the fuel-sipping Toyota Prius hybrid - which uses roughly one-quarter the fuel of the petrol-powered LandCruiser - are down by more than half. Australia’s only home-grown hybrid, the Toyota Camry, also appears to be struggling to attract buyers.

Toyota doesn’t publish sales figures for the hybrid version, but overall Camry sales are down by more than 20 per cent this year and the Hybrid managed just 273 sales in January.

The love of petrol guzzlers hasn’t spread to locally-produced six-cylinder cars, though, with sales of locally made vehicles down by more than 20 per cent in the face of an onslaught of cheaper vehicles from Thailand.

Sales of Ford’s Falcon have slumped to an all-time low, with buyers down by more than a third this year. In the past five years, sales of locally-produced Fords have dropped by more than half, placing the future of the Falcon – and the Territory SUV it’s based on - in doubt.

Holden’s Commodore reclaimed top spot on the sales chart for February, but the large car still trails the smaller Mazda3 and Toyota Corolla in year-to-date sales.

Toyota remains the country’s number one brand, ahead of Holden, although both brands suffered declines in market share. Ford has slipped below Mazda in the pecking order.

The chief executive of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industry, Andrew McKellar, says the market remains strong despite the overall decline in sales.

He says sales to private retail customers are stronger than business and government sales, a good sign for car makers.

“This is an encouraging indicator of the market and reflects a strong level of economic confidence,” he said.

Queensland sales appear to have recovered from the floods, although they remain down by 7.5 per cent year-to-date.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #28
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
SES is not sponsored by the government, they actually get money from AAMI. Also Ford give them staff discounts for their vehicles.
Although mainly a volunteer organisation (and survive on great deal of donations), they do come under various acts of government and are suplemented by government money. There own webpage for Vic SES says.

Quote:
During 1979, the Ministry for Police and Emergency Services was created. Its branches included Victoria Police (VICPOL), Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB), the Country Fire Authority (CFA) and the Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES).
But I guess i see the method in their madness, the greater the distance they procure their cars from, the more they add to climate change, and the more business they get. Sort of like a Glazier going out and breaking windows.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
No companies like Telstra and Siemens need space in the back. I know seimens has moved to the Mondeo. Telstra I believe have taken a ute with canopy now.
For some companies where every sq cm is crucial, they are probably going to go for a van or can only operate with a Falcon wagon. But most other fleets, the cargo literage is all semantics. Unless your transporting unpackaged ping-pong balls up to the roof, a Sportwagon will be just as much be fit-to-purpose as a Mondeo. The wagon body simply gives them more room and versatility. I still think a LPG Sportwagon will sell healthily to many fleets.

Speaking of wagons, I hear Cruze will be getting a wagon variant on the back of strong Commodore Sportwagon sales, although I think this will be imported and not locally produced, but who knows.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
For some companies where every sq cm is crucial, they are probably going to go for a van or can only operate with a Falcon wagon. But most other fleets, the cargo literage is all semantics. Unless your transporting unpackaged ping-pong balls up to the roof, a Sportwagon will be just as much be fit-to-purpose as a Mondeo. The wagon body simply gives them more room and versatility. I still think a LPG Sportwagon will sell healthily to many fleets.
Well seeing as Telstra bought the majority of the Wagons I would say the sportwagon will not be for them. LPG sportswagon would be better for the rising fuel prices.