Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Does it really matter what the pollies choose for their personal vehicle

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226252460332

minister in adelaide takes his prado back and gets a statesman due to public pressure. the reason he got a prado was to fit his 4 kids in!! when the public make a song and dance about something, they don't really put a lot of thought into it sometimes. pretty sure you can't legally fit 6 people in a statesman.

i'm all for govt supporting local, but toyota is just as local as ford and holden. the only local car capable of fitting his family in is territory. why don't they mention that?

mountain out of a molehill. must be struggling for headlines in adelaide.

prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does it really matter what the pollies choose for their personal vehicle

According to the article it was his cheauffer-driven official vehicle that was a black Prado. The reason he used a Prado was because it could fit his kids... How many kids do these guys bring to official minister events, hardly ever I would assume. Ministers also have taxpayer funded private vehicles, so there is no reason to have anything but a Holden for his official vehicle.

I think the choice of a black Prado was purely ego driven to stand out from the fleet of cheauffer driven Caprices on North Terrace when parliament is in session.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Does it really matter what the pollies choose for their personal vehicle

so you would rather they have 2 taxpayer funded vehicles rather than 1? i just think it gets blown out of proportion by journo's that have nothing better to do. does the journo support the industry?
Old 24-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so you would rather they have 2 taxpayer funded vehicles rather than 1? i just think it gets blown out of proportion by journo's that have nothing better to do. does the journo support the industry?
He still would have had his private-use taxpayer funded vehicle as well as the official vehicle.

The black Prado was an official cheauffer driven car for ministerial purposes. It is utterly ridiculous he had an imported Prado for that purpose.
Old 24-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

so he would've had 2 4wd's? i'm sure that would've been mentioned if it was the case.

either way, i think these sort of stories get blown way out of proportion. normally govco officials get lambasted for owning gas guzzlers and not hybrids. does the general public really care?
Old 24-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a slow news day in adelaide and possibly the most pityful excuse given by an opposition as to why he should have a Holden.... pretty sad really.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

its always a slow news day in adelaide
Old 24-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

See my signature regarding pollies and driving anyway.
LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Benjamin Smith

Yer only Bob Brown must drive an full electric car everywhere he goes, trip from Can to Mel all electric car
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
See my signature regarding pollies and driving anyway.
LOL
you are very witty .....but very truthfull as well
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

prado = 5 seats,crapadore = 5 seats,ford = 5 seats so who needs a 4x4 for the kids ?
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'm surprised that pollies haven invested in the hot air car....there's a limitless source in every capital.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

they should all drive diesel titanium territorys and get the one car...and its locally made....or give them captivas
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
prado = 5 seats,crapadore = 5 seats,ford = 5 seats so who needs a 4x4 for the kids ?
Prado = 7 seats but hey lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Does it really matter what the pollies choose for their personal vehicle

I just read the article about the Prado
the first thing it says he has 3 repeat 3 kids
so that the driver the minister and 3 kids
will fit in just about any car
then all of a sudden he had 4 kids so needed a 7 seater
so which one is correct 3 kids or 4
must be a no news day
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226252460332

minister in adelaide takes his prado back and gets a statesman due to public pressure. the reason he got a prado was to fit his 4 kids in!! when the public make a song and dance about something, they don't really put a lot of thought into it sometimes. pretty sure you can't legally fit 6 people in a statesman.

i'm all for govt supporting local, but toyota is just as local as ford and holden. the only local car capable of fitting his family in is territory. why don't they mention that?

mountain out of a molehill. must be struggling for headlines in adelaide.
Ford Territory will seat 7 people!

Lead by example I say. Government vehicles should be locally manufactured (where possible), especially when there's talk of job losses and Government hand outs.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Why isn't anyone asking this question:

Why do the politicians even need cars??? Surely like the rest of us, they can buy and maintain their own car...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
I just read the article about the Prado
the first thing it says he has 3 repeat 3 kids
so that the driver the minister and 3 kids
will fit in just about any car
then all of a sudden he had 4 kids so needed a 7 seater
so which one is correct 3 kids or 4
must be a no news day
plus his wife and ministerial driver
Old 25-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Why isn't anyone asking this question:

Why do the politicians even need cars??? Surely like the rest of us, they can buy and maintain their own car...
Because like other work places its part of their entitlements.

I don't have an issue with them having ministerial cars, the only issue I take is when they rort the system, having the perk is one thing abusing your powers and acting deceitfully is another.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
landau5.8

This topic deserves to be closed, he is an Australian politician who should be serving the Australian manufacturing. Just like government leasing should only be buying Australian cars, they don't. They buy imports. Why do my tax dollars have to go overseas. If this government wants to use my tax dollars, make it stay in Australia.
landau5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

He should have a Ford Territory Diesel...

Those Caprice V8's should be dumped, they are not enviro friendly at all.

The government is a joke and is about to come down... its only a matter of weeks!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
Actually a Prado is a 7 seater.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All ministerial vehicles should be Australian made. Being that they are working for the Australian taxpayer if they want to claim any expenses for the vehicle they own then it must be Australian made. If it isn't they should nominate the vehicle and they get a set limit thats included in there salary
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Because like other work places its part of their entitlements.

I don't have an issue with them having ministerial cars, the only issue I take is when they rort the system, having the perk is one thing abusing your powers and acting deceitfully is another.
It shouldn't be a part of their 'entitlements'. They are not working for a private company, they work for us. Or am I missing something here...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

From what I heard on the radio. They said he should have gotten a holden because they are struggling! would have been wicked if he then showed up in a ford haha

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

its just south australians being pedantic. toyota just sacked 350 workers. surely buying a prado, whilst its not built here, is still supporting toyota in australia, much like buying a focus or mondeo etc is still helping to support ford.

i put the story up because i think its a non event. many govt agencies don't have australian made company cars. it was just an opportunity for another dig at a politician. i'm not a fan of them, but can't help but feel they are a constant media target.

i couldn't care less what he drives. to me, its just not a news story.
Old 25-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
its just south australians being pedantic. toyota just sacked 350 workers. surely buying a prado, whilst its not built here, is still supporting toyota in australia, much like buying a focus or mondeo etc is still helping to support ford.

i put the story up because i think its a non event. many govt agencies don't have australian made company cars. it was just an opportunity for another dig at a politician. i'm not a fan of them, but can't help but feel they are a constant media target.

i couldn't care less what he drives. to me, its just not a news story.
Again, this is not the car he drives. This is a ministerial cheauffer driven vehicle. An official parliamentary vehicle for South Australia.

This is money coming from every taxpayer's pocket to purchase an imported vehicle to be used for official ministerial purposes.

There is something intrinisically wrong with society if we can't hold our politicians to account for the decisions they make with our money.
Old 25-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

The Pollie is in Adelaide...Holdens are made in Adelaide. So naturally the media figure they should all drive Holdens.

The Pollie in question should be thankful they don't still have a Chrysler or Mitsubishi plant there
Old 25-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i want to know what the chauffeur does when hes not driving the minister, sound like a good job if ya like listening to the radio. hope the chauffeur is Australian made! wonder if he was wearing rossi boots made in Adelaide and swigging on a coopers pale ale aswell, cant wear bonds undies anymore (offshore) so had to freeball it aswell. where will it end, anyways good to see Holden has been saved thanks to this one pollie changing his car??
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Animal Farm, anyone?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post