Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Exhaust ... Help ... Suggestions ... Opinions WANTED :)

Hi all, pretty simple but essentially I am after ideas on what to do with my exhaust.

Plans in the future 12-24 months are most likely either a dart blocked 347 or a strong 5L.

Thinking about a twin system and asked my mechanic today what he reckons.

He has suggested going with a twin 2 1/2" Exhaust with new headers and Hooker mufflers. He has also suggested that I get a couple of screw baffles in which can be bolt in bolt out to help quieten it down a touch without effecting the performance. He has suggested using a guy he knows. I saw some of the workmanship from him today and to be honest I'd be more than happy letting him do whatever!

My concern is this. Can I fit a twin 2 1/2" system with mufflers under the wagon keeping in mind it has a 9" diff and not too much free space. Also due to the lack of IRS the two pipes will have to run down the drivers side of the tailshaft...Plus I don't want to be moving the fuel tank and spare wheel.

Has anyone done this before?? Or have photos of this being done on a wagon?

My space issues...

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: Exhaust ... Help ... Suggestions ... Opinions WANTED :)

Hi Rhys.

Funny you post this now. I have just been quizzing the T series boys on this very matter.

In my research, what I have found is that quite of the few of the 5.6L guys run a twin 2.5" back to the diff, and then continue the twin with 2.25" back to the single sided tail pipes. There are some very valid points by going to the smaller diameter after the diff. Most of it listed here on page 2:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4636248.

Going smaller diameter after the diff may also help your space issues.

I do not believe you will have to run both pipes down the one side - one each side of the tailshaft would work and then go to one side after the diff.

This is what I am going to be trying to achieve. This is from Tick4d-Tas' car

I will be sure to post up some pics of mine when I get it done soon!

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks heaps for that Stu. Some really good reading. I can't though bring the exhaust under the diff due to it being a live rear axle and in leaves. This means the whole diff/tail shaft have to be free to drop down a long way when the suspension is completely unloaded. But if I can go and use a smaller diameter past the diff that would aid space constraints hugely!!

Toy Car Build
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

I am sure if the exhaust guy is as good as promised, he will be able to find a solution for you.. Good luck with it mate.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 19-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not must room, dump at the diff?
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

You can fit a 2.5" pipe above the diff, just make sure it runs close to the floor pan, and get heat shield set up around the floor pan/spare wheel...
Old 19-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
You can fit a 2.5" pipe above the diff, just make sure it runs close to the floor pan, and get heat shield set up around the floor pan/spare wheel...
Yes this is correct...but the issue I have is I want 2 x 2.5" pipes going side by side over the diff and will need 2 mufflers or one that has 2 inlets and 2 outlets in order to keep the system anywhere near legal sound wise.

Will give this bloke my mechanic recommended a call and see what he reckons can be done. Fingers crossed....

Toy Car Build
Old 19-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Is it worth enquiring what is done on P250 utes? Ok, they do not have 9" live axles or the fuel tank at the rear, but I am sure plenty have done a similar exhaust modifications to the T3 sedan guys.

Definitely work quizzing in the T Room.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250