Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Default XR5 Owners: Advice & Experiences

A question or two for the Focus XR5 owners out there. I'm looking around for a Cougar replacement, I know XR5-Boy has already made the switch and I doubt he's looking back much. So I'm also considering the Focus XR5, but just would like a rundown from the people who've owned them day-to-day to get your thoughts and opinions.

The BIG question is, what are they like to own and run? Any big issues with them? Do they leave a big smile on your face all the time? Even now, I still look at the Cougar and think how awesome that car is and has been. It'd be great if the new car could do that!

Does anyone own one with the factory sunroof? What's it like? Is it worth having? Anyone got any pics? I'm used to having a sunroof in the Cougar, and wouldn't mind one in the next car.

Does anyone own a Colorado Red XR5? How is the colour for maintenance?

What colour did everyone get and would you change your mind if you could buy it again?

I test drove a Sea Grey one on the weekend, love that colour personally but it's in a three way battle against Performance Blue and Colorado Red in my mind.

Leather or Cloth? I like the feel and 'premiumness' of Leather, and I realise you lose a seat, but the Cougar's a four seater anyway.

Focus plusses over my current ride: More POWAH, Newer car, 2 cupholders in the front (Cougar has 1 cupholder in the back!), continued Ford loyalty, aggressive styling etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I've also got to try and win over the fiancé on this - considering we're working towards a wedding at the end of the year as well!

Cheers!

Dan

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

No doubt you've heard it all from me dude, but owning this car has been a pleasure for the past year and a bit. Day to day driving is smooth and fun. I always leave my car with a smile on my face.

Colour wise, I'd go PB every time, although White is VERY nice in the LV shape. PB just comes up soooooo good after a good wash, polish and wax. I do miss the smell of leather, but the cloth hold you in very well. You do get heated seats with the leather though!

Do I miss the Cougar? Not really. Maybe the lady pull factor, but that's never been a reason for why I had the car. Do I miss the costs of parts? HELL NO.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I'm about a week away from my 2 yr anniversary with my 5 and I'm still in love.
I bought an Electric Orange because I love the colour, despite what others think. Colour's a personal preference but having said that, black is mean but tough to keep looking good. Silver and grey look great but they blend in and look like a normal focus (not w had thing for some) blue and white look stunning, orange sticks out like dog's cags and red is surprisingly rare, but phenomenal in the flesh.

Stripes are another kettle of fish.

I option mine up took with leather and the sunroof and it was the best thing I ever did.

There's two great online communities for the 5 too: www.fordxr5turbo.com and www.xr5oc.com who are in fact having a combined social meet at The Cricketers Arms in Blacktown. I noticed you're a west Sydney member, so its nice and close for you.
You'd be more than welcome to join us, in fact I'd really like a look at a Cougar, never really seen one before.
We're having a feed at the pub followed by a night at the drive-in!

Link: http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...?topic=10705.0

Hopefully you can open it.

It'd be a pretty sweet opportunity to have a look at a swag of 5 of various models and stages of modifications.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

George, thanks mate! Yes, I've had many questions answered by you already and thanks for all that. No doubt I might have a couple more soon enough!

TJ, thanks for the post. Found out I can get any colour (via Sinclair Ford) except Electric Orange now, in the 2010 plate clearance deal. To be honest, EO wasn't on my choice list in any case but I do agree it's a great colour. Not a fan of stripes personally, but I won't diss anyone who has them either

I can't access the FordXR5Turbo link as I'm not a member yet but I saw on their front page the meet is tonight? That's a bummer as I'm otherwise engaged and actually won't have the Cougar either - but yes, it's literally just down the road from where I am! Perhaps another meet some time soon will help out?

Many thanks! I look forward to hearing from others too

Dan
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

correction to that link for XR5OC is www.XR5ownersclub.com

Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dan,

Really good car, i bought mine in 2007 brand new and never had any issues.
You will not regret it!
If you are after some mod for the car there are plenty of online stores in uk that i have bought stuff from(flash tune etc..)

Anyway IMO the negitives would be: Seats are uncomfortable on long journeys, turbo lag and traction control kicking in too hard.

Don't get me wrong the car is sensational to drive!!.

Andrew
Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNKPWR
Seats are uncomfortable on long journeys, turbo lag and traction control kicking in too hard.

Don't get me wrong the car is sensational to drive!!.

Andrew
Agreed on the seats. Did some adjusting and was a bit better.

Turbo lag? Barely noticeable IMO. Drove an RS and boy does that lag! Traction control needs to be in the OFF position if you're gonna punch it (especially if you're running a tune)

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok ive had my XR5 since August last year, have done 16k kms since thats a good indictation
I came from a V8 RWD AU TE50 have always had RWD cars and was always anti FWD.
The time came to upgrade into something different, i was looking at FG Turbo utes but insurance and rego was a killer
I have always been a fan of the XR5T so decision was made to get into a small hatch i dont mind the older shape MPS (never drove one though) i went and drove a VW GTi. Yeah not a bad car but IMO BFYB isnt there i drove the 5 and i was hooked, the note is sechs.
I was looking at a 2nd hand LT as i still like the styling of them but im not sold on the inside (Headunit etc). So then i bit the bullet and bought a new LV XR5.
The inside can be a little second rate in some peoples eyes but the Recaros are brilliant.
I didnt want leather as my last car had it and i wasnt a fan other then it looks good.
I wanted either silver or white, white got the vote.
My car has a couple of mods nothing over the top though, i was happy with the standard power untill i went in a modded one.
Seats yeah, ive done 2 3300km trips and yeah can be a little hard and no cruise on a LONG trip is a pain but i dont care it hasnt got it but can be fitted aftermarket and it does look very factory.
As has been said jump on www.xr5ownersclub.com for any info you want
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR5 looks great in Red and very rare...

Red XR5
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
George, thanks mate! Yes, I've had many questions answered by you already and thanks for all that. No doubt I might have a couple more soon enough!

TJ, thanks for the post. Found out I can get any colour (via Sinclair Ford) except Electric Orange now, in the 2010 plate clearance deal. To be honest, EO wasn't on my choice list in any case but I do agree it's a great colour. Not a fan of stripes personally, but I won't diss anyone who has them either

I can't access the FordXR5Turbo link as I'm not a member yet but I saw on their front page the meet is tonight? That's a bummer as I'm otherwise engaged and actually won't have the Cougar either - but yes, it's literally just down the road from where I am! Perhaps another meet some time soon will help out?

Many thanks! I look forward to hearing from others too

Dan
Hey Dan,

I've just sold my XR5, not for the lact of excitement that it gave me, or for the fact I got bored with it - purely financial due to other things outside the car, and it was one of the hardest things I had to do. I loved it. I had no issues with anything that the car had to offer, and it was by far one of the best balanced cars off the showroom floor I've EVER driven.....and I drove one of the new 335GT-E's a little while back... :P

Cheap to run as far as a performance car goes, and if you're just driving it day to day, it's easy as to drive....sure you've gotta put Premium Petrol in it, but the tanks are good for over 500kms easy if you drive it sensibly. And considering it's only a 55L tank, that's not bad for a car that will keep just about any v8 at bay. Pop a few mods on it and you'll be making those ssv drivers pull weird faces which you'll only be able to see in your rear vision mirrors. :P

That said, the stock car is a great little pocket rocket...great power delivery, flat torque curve, and it just pulls hard from 1600rpm.

Who have you been dealing with out here?

Pop onto the www.fordxr5turbo.com forums to get forum priced servicing, otherwise pop your head in my office next time you're out here and I'm more than happy to have a chat face to face.

Groomy (Michael Groom)
Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Thanks everyone for the additional replies. I really appreciate it. I think I'm sold on it.

Truth is, I was allowed to take a White XR5 home on Tuesday for a 24 hr test drive and in an attempt to get the fiance onboard - it worked She really liked it, which is most of the battle won already. The hardest part was giving the keys back! Now I'll get into researching finance and sorting that out and then bring her into the dealership to look at colours etc and go from there.

Groomy, thanks for the info. My family and I have been dealing with Sinclair Ford for some time. My Dad, Neil Collins, bought an FPV GT-P from you guys and we dealt with Hamilton when he took over as FPV manager there. Dad now owns a Mondeo TDCi (bought through Brenton), Mum used to have a Ford Explorer and now has a Focus (also from Brenton) while I get my Cougar serviced by Chris Jones and the team there. You guys know my car inside out!

Once this is a done deal I'll be sure to sign up to both the recommended forums and make myself known.

Another question came up from looking through the brochure, it states that the Focus has a 5 star ANCAP rating except for the XR5 Turbo. Brenton assumed this must be a typo and from what I can see, I can't see why the Turbo would be different from the others in the range as it has the same safety features? Anyone know the story there?

My only 'problem' now is what colour to get... I was originally sold on Sea Grey, but am wondering if it's too 'dull' and not special enough for the type of car. My other options were Performance Blue and Colorado Red - I'm leaning towards the red...

Cheers all,

Dan
Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I did my finance through Matt at Stratton finance.
Good dudes.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
entheos

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the additional replies. I really appreciate it. I think I'm sold on it.

Truth is, I was allowed to take a White XR5 home on Tuesday for a 24 hr test drive and in an attempt to get the fiance onboard - it worked She really liked it, which is most of the battle won already. The hardest part was giving the keys back! Now I'll get into researching finance and sorting that out and then bring her into the dealership to look at colours etc and go from there.

Groomy, thanks for the info. My family and I have been dealing with Sinclair Ford for some time. My Dad, Neil Collins, bought an FPV GT-P from you guys and we dealt with Hamilton when he took over as FPV manager there. Dad now owns a Mondeo TDCi (bought through Brenton), Mum used to have a Ford Explorer and now has a Focus (also from Brenton) while I get my Cougar serviced by Chris Jones and the team there. You guys know my car inside out!

Once this is a done deal I'll be sure to sign up to both the recommended forums and make myself known.

Another question came up from looking through the brochure, it states that the Focus has a 5 star ANCAP rating except for the XR5 Turbo. Brenton assumed this must be a typo and from what I can see, I can't see why the Turbo would be different from the others in the range as it has the same safety features? Anyone know the story there?

My only 'problem' now is what colour to get... I was originally sold on Sea Grey, but am wondering if it's too 'dull' and not special enough for the type of car. My other options were Performance Blue and Colorado Red - I'm leaning towards the red...

Cheers all,

Dan
Awesome...good to hear!!! You must've taken home Scotty's demo. Euro plates?

The XR5 is definitely a 5 Star ANCAP rating...I don't know why the brochure would say anything different. Strange, but it's definitely 5 Star. I've got a piccy I can show you that proves that...

Colour wise it's a personal choice....TBH I quite like the Sea Grey....it's nice and subtle so you have a sleeper, and you could always get stripes to liven it up a bit. Red is definitely a sick looking colour...PARTICUALLY with white stripes, but even on it's own it's nice and bright an looks plenty good on the road! Just watch those iPhone snaps of them...they tend to be a bit on the pink side... ;)

Anyways, next time you're in come say Hi...and Aaron is right next door and can talk finance with you too if you want. Do your research for sure, but check out Aaron(brenton's brother). He's always happy to look after people who come through the forums, and certainly repeat customers.

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

TJ, thanks for the advice, I'll give them guys a look

Groomy, yep, that'd be the one Thanks for the colour advice and rundown! I'm leaning towards red without stripes. I think it'll have the impact and standout looks while being a bit rare as well. I'll have to make sure any photos I post aren't pink! haha.

I'll remember to come say hi next time I'm in. Might not be this weekend but soon I hope. Brenton did mention to shop around for finance and see if Aaron's able to do a better deal. I know you guys will look after us - that's been the drawcard all along

All the best,

Dan
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hmmm, I wonder what the thing is with Cougar owners buying XR5s?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Thats only two so far... not a trend untill you have three my friend. And theoretically you could apply the same model to anyone buying XR5T's. I think the fact that they are just awesum cars is the winner imo.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't really contribute anything that hasn't been covered off, except:

I had a BF xr8 with the usual mods done to it and I wasn't dissapointed when I got the 5.

Once modded, the looks on holden / ford / misc driver's faces after they realise "wow, I shouldn't of underestimated that car" is absolutely priceless and never gets old.

The 5 pot growl both stock and modded is an awesome / unique sound.

It punches miles above its weight in the cornering department. Another thing that for some reason falcon / commodore owners think the 5 will be crap at as it is FWD.. Even though they are driving 2 tonne barges.

It also doubles as a great crusier / tourer.. Never claims to do this, but always surprises me how well it gets it done.

If cruise control is a big thing for you it is easily fitted aftermarket, but I've never had a hassle doing syd - melbourne, syd - QLD in the 5. The ergonomics of the car are just so spot on that I get out of the car after 10hrs of driving and feel just as good as I did when I got in.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #18
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
If cruise control is a big thing for you it is easily fitted aftermarket, but I've never had a hassle doing syd - melbourne, syd - QLD in the 5. The ergonomics of the car are just so spot on that I get out of the car after 10hrs of driving and feel just as good as I did when I got in.
Amen to that, Sarg. I've done a few long haul trips and I've been fine after getting out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Thats only two so far... not a trend untill you have three my friend. And theoretically you could apply the same model to anyone buying XR5T's. I think the fact that they are just awesum cars is the winner imo.
Correction. 3. My uncle traded his Cougar in for an XR5T about 2 months after I bought mine ;)

Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

But wasn't it nice to cut your teeth on the Cougar?

To play around with mods, and really learning about the car because simple bolt ons were hard to find.

I now look at your "pending" mods and note the sophistication of your plans (eg Quaife diff), which I think comes from the trail and error learning on the Cougar.

I certainly think that what I've learned on the LR Focus would seriously change the way I'd go about modding in the future
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Sgt, thanks for your post - your comments about the cruiser are quite handy as well. The Cougar is a great cruiser so knowing her potential replacement can do the job quite well is a plus. As for cruise control - meh - the Cougar never had it and no car I've ever owned has so it's not something I'm likely to miss

The uber-adjustability of the front seats gives me confidence I'll be fine when it comes to comfort - I found a pretty good position in both a leather and cloth interiored XR5.

There'll be no doubt that I'm going to miss the Cougar when she's gone. I won't retell the story here but she was the car I had to have and stalked me everywhere I went looking for a Cougar when I was looking to buy one - yes, that exact car!

Had Ford taken two doors of the Mondeo XR5 and badged it a Cougar, I think some of us Cougar owners would've just 'upgraded' hehe!

As melbzetec writes, you own a car, you learn and you improve next time. My play with mods on the Cougar came out of what I learnt from modding my previous Laser and the evolution (hopefully) continues I have a different outlook of what I'll do with the next car... and certainly, a larger community of owners and more easily sourced parts will play into that!

Cheers all,

Dan

Last edited by Abraxas; 11-02-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Dshibi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I can't really contribute anything that hasn't been covered off, except:

I had a BF xr8 with the usual mods done to it and I wasn't dissapointed when I got the 5.

Once modded, the looks on holden / ford / misc driver's faces after they realise "wow, I shouldn't of underestimated that car" is absolutely priceless and never gets old.

The 5 pot growl both stock and modded is an awesome / unique sound.

It punches miles above its weight in the cornering department. Another thing that for some reason falcon / commodore owners think the 5 will be crap at as it is FWD.. Even though they are driving 2 tonne barges.

It also doubles as a great crusier / tourer.. Never claims to do this, but always surprises me how well it gets it done.

Couldnt have summed it up better Bourney. Well done

The XR5 might be gone now, BUT IT WONT BE FORGOTTEN. Long live the XR5
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and also, if the whole 4 seater thing doesn't phase you, GET THE LEATHER do NOT consider the cloth.

Leather seats are the bomb, and the bum warmers are to die for in the winter time.. mmmmmm
Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Thanks again Sgt! Yes, I WANT LEATHER hehe. Had leather and seat warmers in the Cougar and I found the leather held me better in the Focus. Also, used to four seats in the Cougar and the other half didn't seem to mind that fact when I mentioned it so hopefully it's a goer

Just as a tidbit, the Focus has TWO cupholders in the front which beats the Cougar's singular cupholder in the back :P

Dan
Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks again Sgt! Yes, I WANT LEATHER hehe. Had leather and seat warmers in the Cougar and I found the leather held me better in the Focus. Also, used to four seats in the Cougar and the other half didn't seem to mind that fact when I mentioned it so hopefully it's a goer

Just as a tidbit, the Focus has TWO cupholders in the front which beats the Cougar's singular cupholder in the back :P

Dan
The cup holders might as well be one cup holder mate... Depending on the size of the drink, you can only fit one in. The centre console obstructs one of the holders from holding a drink that is too big. I can't even remember if it fits a can of coke in there! Either way, when you do finally fit it in, it's a battle to get to it whilst driving!

Don't let that deter you though, they're a great car otherwise!

As others have mentioned, the handling really took me by surprise. Even my mates are impressed as to how well it handles.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
shepv8
V8's for ever

hey mate
if you check on carpoint there are a stack of new xr5t's on there from dealers. There is one mob doing them for $29990 drive away which is about the best Ive ever seen them for.
Oh and , handling wise these things are incredible but in a straight line a new v8 falc/comm will eat one up and spit it out despite what others will have you believe. Thats not to say they arent quick though, but we are talking about standard cars. In everyday life/driving they are probably a better choice than a big heavy V8
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
hey mate
if you check on carpoint there are a stack of new xr5t's on there from dealers. There is one mob doing them for $29990 drive away which is about the best Ive ever seen them for.
Oh and , handling wise these things are incredible but in a straight line a new v8 falc/comm will eat one up and spit it out despite what others will have you believe. Thats not to say they arent quick though, but we are talking about standard cars. In everyday life/driving they are probably a better choice than a big heavy V8
Yeah correct a new V8 will be quicker in a straight line thats for sure but roads arent straight as soon as there is a bend its bye bye V8. And with a simple tune the 5 can hold its own.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
Correction. 3. My uncle traded his Cougar in for an XR5T about 2 months after I bought mine ;)

There will be another one soon, doesn't mean I will let the Cougar go.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #28
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yeah correct a new V8 will be quicker in a straight line thats for sure but roads arent straight as soon as there is a bend its bye bye V8. And with a simple tune the 5 can hold its own.
and if you read my post you will see that I clearly stated that the XR5's handling is top notch and that the V8's are only quicker in a straight line. And as for the chip, well then you're comparing modified against unmodified so it kinda takes away a bit of the prestige of boasting that your car is quicker than a V8 . Interesting that a lot of people have mentioned only power gain mods to this car, but not many have mentioned the negative effects of putting more power through the front wheels , ie the need for a decent LSD, suspension/setup to help overcome torque steer etc. Be interesting for a future owner to get some feedback on this aspect as well, because he never really asked for info on how to make an XR5 blow away V8's but if you're going to suggest it, at least give him the full picture.
The XR5 is a better allround day to day car , no doubt about that....
Also, with any of these cars, be it a V8 or a XR5, no one is going to have it any where near its dynamic limits on a public road. Racetrack is another matter entirely.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #29
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an XR5 for 18 months before trading it for an FG XR6T.

Stock for stock:

XR5 handles, stops and feels much more "alive" than the 6T.
Has more gadgets than the 6T (providing you get an LV)
Uses slightly less fuel than the Falcon - not much in it though.

XR6T still quicker stock than a modded 5..... :P

In saying that, they are a blast to drive and put a smile on your face every time you drive them.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
and if you read my post you will see that I clearly stated that the XR5's handling is top notch and that the V8's are only quicker in a straight line. And as for the chip, well then you're comparing modified against unmodified so it kinda takes away a bit of the prestige of boasting that your car is quicker than a V8 . Interesting that a lot of people have mentioned only power gain mods to this car, but not many have mentioned the negative effects of putting more power through the front wheels , ie the need for a decent LSD, suspension/setup to help overcome torque steer etc. Be interesting for a future owner to get some feedback on this aspect as well, because he never really asked for info on how to make an XR5 blow away V8's but if you're going to suggest it, at least give him the full picture.
The XR5 is a better allround day to day car , no doubt about that....
Also, with any of these cars, be it a V8 or a XR5, no one is going to have it any where near its dynamic limits on a public road. Racetrack is another matter entirely.
Yeah i put tune info in there just because i could, i know we are comparing stock cars.
An LSD really isnt need for a standard XR5 but would be nice.
If the future owner does go the mod route there is ample avenues to get the power to the road.
As i said in a previous post OP should join www.xr5ownersclub.com as all the info needed on the 5 is there. Also bring your wallet because they are very addictive once modded.
- Antz Turboside Intake