Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Koosh351
Blue Blood

Default scoop on XC to drag race

I am putting (hate to say it) a Torana bonnet scoop on my XC as I can't afford a cowl induction right now.

How do I cut the hole for the air cleaner to breathe?

Do I cut the hole the same size as the air cleaner?

Currently the air cleaner fits under the bonnet, just thought more air might help.

Any advice appreciated.

Trying to get a PB this fathers day.

Might even turn on the nitrous...398 stroked CLeveland..

Koosh351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
blueovalbits

I never used an air cleaner at the drags, just a square alloy plate with the hole cut out to fit over the carb. Then had foam surrounding the square plate about 2" wide that sat proud of the bonnet and had a hole cut in the bonnet slightly smaller than the foam surround. Then when the bonnet shut down it squashed the foam down, holding the alloy plate firmly down on the carb and forming an airtight seal...no hot air from under the bonnet could get to the carb, just fresh air from under the scoop.
Hope this helps.

Sort of like this but no air cleaner.

Last edited by blueovalbits; 21-06-2010 at 10:52 PM.
blueovalbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Koosh351
Blue Blood

good idea, did you have to glue the foam to the square plate or did the bonnet hold it down in place?

Any hints on making sure I cut the hole in the right place?

Did you just go at it with a grinder?

thanks
Old 22-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
blueovalbits

The foam was glued to the plate and to measure up the hole I just cut a hole(big enough to put my hand through) where I thought the centre of the air cleaner was, then took the air cleaner off and put the plate with the foam on it over the carb and shut the bonnet. Checked everything was snug and put my hand into the hole and traced around the foam with a permanent texta onto the bottom of the bonnet. Removed the bonnet, straightened up the lines a bit and cut out the hole. I used a grinder with the really thin cutting discs and when you cut it if you go around one way it will throw the sparks up at you, but if you go around the other way it throws the sparks back through the bonnet and away from you. Then I measured in from all edges of the bonnet to the scoop and mounted the scoop.
Hope all this helps.
Old 22-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Koosh351
Blue Blood

hey man thanks for the ideas. Sorry to sound like a dumb ***, but was the square plate just bigger than the round air cleaner. Ie I have a 14 inch diametre air cleaner, so should the sqare plate be 14 inches square, or slightly bigger?

I like the hand through the smaller hole idea.

How did you cut the round hole in the plate over the carb? Did you use 2mm aluminium plate?

cheers dude
Old 23-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
blueovalbits

I haven't heard a dumb *** question yet! Dumb would be to not get any tips and stuff up a bonnet.

I had a 14" air cleaner to go under my original bonnet, then I had a 10" one that I could use on top of the plate if I wanted to drive it around with the scoop.

The hole through the bonnet was around 1" smaller all round than the scoop (hornet street scoop) to keep a bit of strength and to leave enough to fix the scoop to. Really the hole doesn't need to be huge, and the more of your original bonnet you can leave there the stronger your bonnet will remain.

Mine was 2mm plate and to cut the hole I drilled a hole big enough to fit the blade of a jig saw through and then cut out to the scribed circle. Done the round hole first and then measured out to mark the edges.
Old 23-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

with the aluminium plate on the top of the holley where u glued the foam, dont u need to cut holes for the needle and seats too, they sit 8mm higher than the air cleaner flange

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep need cut clearance holes for needle n seats.. also be ready to go up a couple jet sizes once your ramming all that fresh air goodness in..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
blueovalbits

Yer, sorry it was a while ago, forgot about that. My carb was a carter so only a couple of small dents with a ball pene hammer gave me clearance but when I gave it to a mate to use he had problems with that, I think he bought or made a spacer ring.
Cheers for that my67xr!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
strokr393
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalbits
Yer, sorry it was a while ago, forgot about that. My carb was a carter so only a couple of small dents with a ball pene hammer gave me clearance but when I gave it to a mate to use he had problems with that, I think he bought or made a spacer ring.
Cheers for that my67xr!
I done this exact same but i used the 14" cleaner base and stuck the foam to the base of that and then cut the hole in the bonnet fraction smaller than the width of the foam. Then i didnt have the clearence problems with jets and such.
With any street duties i got away with a small cleaner which just sat out through the hole i had made for race day, which didnt bother me too much as i done bugger all street duties in mine anyway.

Cheers
strokr393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post