Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
jeune
Starter Motor

Default Nissan hits back at Porsche cheat claim

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...e_cheat_claim/

jeune is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
FPVmaniac
Starter Motor

Worst move for Porsche to even bring this up! Just shows how concerned they really are about the GTR's levels of performance... Just stop complaining and build a faster car!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Following on from Porsche’s claim that Nissan must have achieved a record lap time of the Nurburgring by using non production racing tyres on its GT-R, Nissan have officially responded.

“The final word from us is that it was done on absolutely standard tyres which are available to customers in the showroom. They’re not trick tyres – absolutely standard tyres, normal road tyres.” Neil Reeve, spokesman Nissan Europe.

Apparently, the tyres used were Dunlop SP Sport Tyres which come standard on the entry level GT-R, not the more expensive Bridgestone Potenza run-flats on the upper spec grade.

Reeves also said “it’s flattering that Porsche have brought themselves a GT-R and flown it to Germany”.

Car magazine recently lapped the Nissan GT-R and two Porsche 911’s around the Anglesey Race Track in the United Kingdom during its 2008 Performance Car of the Year awards. Porsche would not have been too happy to hear that the GT-R recorded a time of 1.00.6 whilst the more expensive 911S PDK recorded a significantly slower 1.03.2. Even more worrying for Porsche is that it’s 911 GT2, more than twice as expensive as the GT-R, lapped the circuit in 1.01.2.

Source: Nissan responds to Porsche’s cheating accusation
FPVmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

So the special optional tyres eh? That explains about 2 seconds a lap. Where did the other 23 go?

Booooooooooooooooosting.

bah....bloody playstation ricer generation will beleive anything!! (message me if you want to add me on PS3 btw hahaha)
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

They can respond all they like,but the times are suspect IMO...
As bdave351 said,23 seconds a lap is a light year ahead of the time difference others are seeing..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

The German magazine Auto Motor and Sport regularly do “super tests” where they get ex-bike racer Horst von Saurma to do a time around the ‘ring, they also have a showdown for the fastest TUV legal spec road car. Although car companies might still be able to supply “ringers” this could be a way of settling this. I’d be interested in seeing the AM&S times around there in both cars.

Footnote – Porsche reckon that their own top test driver (ex-rally champ Walter Rhorl) is a second or two quicker around the ring than Von Saurma (which I don’t think is too bad at all)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
freaky

I dont think Porsche have anything to worry about..

From all the emerging info around the net, it seems the GTR has been underdeveloped in a sense regarding durability, hence the lower cost. By the sounds of it, the maintenance and upkeep sound horendous. (Like a high maintenance woman. lol).

I would bet that if a GTR and Porsche ran around a track for a day, the porsche will still be lapping come sundown whereas the GTR maybe having a gearbox or 2 replaced.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I found this to be an interesting read.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave351
So the special optional tyres eh? That explains about 2 seconds a lap. Where did the other 23 go?

Booooooooooooooooosting.

bah....bloody playstation ricer generation will beleive anything!! (message me if you want to add me on PS3 btw hahaha)
The Nurburgring Nordschleife is a 20something km track. A car that's 2 sec faster on a normal race track could be 20something sec faster at the ring.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This GTR thing is rapidly turning into what appears to be a one lap wonder.....
Early signs are it'll be more fragile than a T series owner's ego... (joking ok!)

Grab a GT2 and GTR, 100 laps of Lemans, lets see who makes the distance...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I'd like to see ANY road car* finish a 100 continuous hot laps.

*Road car = bone-stock... straight out of the dealer.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I'd like to see ANY road car* finish a 100 continuous hot laps.

*Road car = bone-stock... straight out of the dealer.
True, but If there was ever a brand that would have a car that would do it, it would be Porsche... not nissan...

I think too many people spend too much time on PS2 or watching "Fast and the furious"...

Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:

That would be good, but i don't think Nissan would want to end up with egg all over their faces
Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
They can respond all they like,but the times are suspect IMO...
As bdave351 said,23 seconds a lap is a light year ahead of the time difference others are seeing..
The GT-R lapped 2.6 seconds quicker than a GT3 on the Top Gear test track. Different day, possibly different driver but that's a significant amount of time difference over such a short track. That could easily translate to ~20 seconds on the Burger Ring, IMO.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
The GT-R lapped 2.6 seconds quicker than a GT3 on the Top Gear test track. Different day, possibly different driver but that's a significant amount of time difference over such a short track. That could easily translate to ~20 seconds on the Burger Ring, IMO.
A friends V8SC lapped winton on a test day 1.8 seconds slower than a previous outing, same car, same driver, same track, different day, different conditions....
You can't accurately compare lap times unless they're done on the same day and conditions, too many variables such as track temp, rubber on the track etc.....

Old 08-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:

Booooooooooooooooosting.

hey don't knock PS3, it's the closest I can afford to get to actually racing a supercar on world famous tracks ;)

Re the GTR just read a write up in Top Gear Aus magazine they said it felt rock solid, as built to last as the Porche...

Actually just re-read the original story about Porche's doubts, they ran a GTR with NEW tyres, new road tyres are never going to be as fast as well scrubbed down ones, could explain a lot of the difference.

Last edited by Jondalar; 08-10-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: addition
Jondalar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Rev28K
re

Given the Horst Von Saurma 7:50 ‘ring lap time posted in another thread I’ll be interested to see what the cars (Porsche GT2 and Nissan GTR) do in this years Motor PCOTY final.

Warren Luff driving down at Phillip Island – I’d be expecting low 1:40’s at least on a quick track.

p.s. PI is a “power” track so the big engines cars (XR6T, HSV’s, V8’s) will have more of a gap than they used to compared to the quicker of the little-engined cars that handled well.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
I can be a second or 2 slower over 400m in my car,depending on track conditions and driving,so that test wont convince me sorry..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Early signs are it'll be more fragile than a T series owner's ego... (joking ok!)

Thats low, at least its a muscle car.
One lap wonder, id like to see any road car (off the showroom floor) last 100 laps or the 'ring'
Old 08-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Thats low, at least its a muscle car.
One lap wonder, id like to see any road car (off the showroom floor) last 100 laps or the 'ring'
GTR is not a musclecar....

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Neither is the other one so be careful of cracks in fragile goods....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #21
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

*readies hose*
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Read PM

Last edited by DJM83; 08-10-2008 at 09:03 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #23
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:

Your not wrong there.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #24
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Quote:

The point however Rod is that a decent driver couldnt produce times within 25 seconds in the same car. Not a different car.......

When not just porsche but another mob have both failed to get even close then you know its all funny.

Bah from the links any car that i designed to lunch gear boxes after SIX full power launches is a sad joke.
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I found this to be an interesting read.
Good read!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #26
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very good read that
Old 09-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #28
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I can be a second or 2 slower over 400m in my car,depending on track conditions and driving,so that test wont convince me sorry..
So you're a professional racing driver are you? If not, your comment is redundant as Porsche and Nissan both used professional racing drivers, and actually Nissan used an Ex F1 racing champion who did thousands of laps around the ring prior to his official run.

Quote:
Bah from the links any car that i designed to lunch gear boxes after SIX full power launches is a sad joke.
You design cars? What was the last one you designed?

I'll assume that's not what you meant, and comment on the other meaning. The guy who's gearbox was lunched said he used launch control 20 times in 2 weeks. That's almost 3 times a day on a brand new car. Go buy a new anything, and do redline clutch dumps 3 times a day for the next 3 weeks and see how your driveline goes. Ferraris F1 gearbox in the 599GTB is completely broken after 3 LC launches - I spose that's a crap car too? And how do we know this guy only launched it 20 times? It might of been a hundred times. Serves the moron right for abusing his brand new car thinking it's unbreakable.
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #29
Rev28K
re

Nissan used an Ex F1 racing champion? Champion = won the championship

Honda used Ayrton Senna's inputs in some stages of the NSX development, McClaren used Hakinnen for the F1 and Ferrari used Schumi for the FXX.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading on a forum somewhere back in early 2005 where somebody covered 0-400m in a FPV F6 in less than 14 seconds and was quicker than the more powerful larger engined models.

No one believed it.
Couldn't happen.

Wheels couldn't do it.
MOTOR didn't get close.
LS1 owners and enthusiasts laughed at it constantly.
Various Falcon owning "experts" joined in the chorus.

Then someone else did it (me)
Then lots of people did it.

Funny how things that upset the incumbent status quo are often so difficult for so many to accept.,,,,,

If Porsche was truly so superior then the Corvette LS9 and the Ford GT would not also be kicking its bum either would they?

In the words od my buddy Basil ........ "Erwähnen Sie nicht den Krieg"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post