Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
spvd02

Default LW Focus performance

Good morning,

is anyone else who owns one of these surprised by the level of performance? Mine seems to have really loosened up in the last 5000km's, and is a surprising performer (22000km on odo)

Being only an n/a 2.0L pulling 1350kg, you wouldn't expect much, but it can really haul! The car is stock, apart from a K&N filter box. I do run 98RON fuel also.

It doesn't launch with as much force as my previous car (6cyl BF Falcon), but would give it a serious run for in-gear acceleration. For such a small engine, not so light-weight car, you wouldn't expect it to come close to the performance of a 6-cylinder. It doesn't have nearly as much torque, yet it seems to accelerate just as quickly.

Any explanation as to how this could be possible?

* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Binny

Default Re: LW Focus performance

Direct injection would help. Allows a lot higher compression and more advanced timing at low revs, improving low end torque.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
Good morning,

is anyone else who owns one of these surprised by the level of performance? Mine seems to have really loosened up in the last 5000km's, and is a surprising performer (22000km on odo)

Being only an n/a 2.0L pulling 1350kg, you wouldn't expect much, but it can really haul! The car is stock, apart from a K&N filter box. I do run 98RON fuel also.

It doesn't launch with as much force as my previous car (6cyl BF Falcon), but would give it a serious run for in-gear acceleration. For such a small engine, not so light-weight car, you wouldn't expect it to come close to the performance of a 6-cylinder. It doesn't have nearly as much torque, yet it seems to accelerate just as quickly.

Any explanation as to how this could be possible?
I dunno if the LW Focus has this gearing but a lot of small cars have 4.11 gearing which always helps.

What lets the Falcon down is its long gearing IMO, thats what I notice with my EL even with 3.45s and a T5 behind it, it really needs 3.9s.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of it would be down to the gearbox. Dual clutch autos, for all they are bagged, are pretty damn quick to shift. I believe the LW petrol auto is nearly 2 seconds quicker to 100kph than the old LV 4-speed, and the difference in power and torque (17kw and 20NM) wouldn't allow for all of that. Especially as I believe the LW is slightly heavier.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
spvd02

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
A lot of it would be down to the gearbox. Dual clutch autos, for all they are bagged, are pretty damn quick to shift. I believe the LW petrol auto is nearly 2 seconds quicker to 100kph than the old LV 4-speed, and the difference in power and torque (17kw and 20NM) wouldn't allow for all of that. Especially as I believe the LW is slightly heavier.
I'd have to agree about the dual-clutch auto. Some people seem to have endless trouble with theirs, but mine is great, and it certainly contributes to great acceleration. The car has impressed me overall so far, and there is nothing I don't like about it. A great job on Ford's part!

I'd have to time it one day, just to satisfy my curiosity. It can launch well with launch control (though limited by FWD), so would be interesting to see how quick it will go down the 1/4.

Based on bum-o-meter, I think it will get somewhere in the 15's (probably mid-high). Comparatively, my Falcon did a best of 14.75
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
country focus
Country Focus

Have to say I am impressed as well with my new LW auto. it performs better than my previous LT 5 speed manual. Fuel economy is good and it is comfortable to drive on longer trips.Have only got the windows tinted so far as the previous Focus was done. Hope it gives me no problems as I did nothing but normal maintenance to the previous model.
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post