Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #16171
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
This is true.

And the 6 month pass after having Covid will be one to watch, I can already see anti-vaxxer covid parties, catch it and get you 6 month pass!.

Potential invitations......"Bring a plate or someone with Covid!"
Would probably work for healthy kids. Out of the millions of cases in the usa, only about 125 children have died from covid. And you would have to think those kids would be the poor ones who had underlying health issues.

It's the reason the UK is not recommending vaccinating children, because the risks of vaccine side effects outweigh the actual risk of getting covid for a child.

As you can see from these statistics, the deaths are nearly non-existent in children.

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-no...l-data-report/

As of October 14, nearly 6.2 million children have tested positive for COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic. The past week about 131,000 child COVID cases were added, the sixth consecutive weekly decrease from the pandemic peak of nearly 252,000 child cases added the week of September 2nd. However, 131,000 cases remains an extremely high number of newly diagnosed children. Over 1.1 million child cases were added over the past six weeks.

Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.25% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths
​In states reporting, 0.00%-0.03% of all child COVID-19 cases resulted in death.

The problem with adults getting it is the variability of it. You can have perfectly healthy under 30's randomly getting it and getting very sick, or dying from it in the odd case, while a whole bunch of similar aged/healthy people remain asymptomatic. It's a lottery.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #16172
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

It's the reason the UK is not recommending vaccinating children, because the risks of vaccine side effects outweigh the actual risk of getting covid for a child.
I'd say they are still feeling the burn from the H1N1 vaccine compensation, which caused narcolepsy in children. Good to see they have learnt and are taking a more cautious approach, we should be doing the same......

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #16173
leesa

Quote:
Would probably work for healthy kids. Out of the millions of cases in the usa, only about 125 children have died from covid. And you would have to think those kids would be the poor ones who had underlying health issues.
If the goal is to keep the majority happy rather than protect the minority then we may aswell go all-out? Let's bring peanut butter sandwiches back in schools. Why should kids with allergies be protected when they're the minority? Healthy kids shouldn't be put out for the sake of others with underlying health problems.

Yes that was an obvious bait but that aside, doctors know that covid causes damage to organs. There is no saying what will happen to these kids in 5, 10, 15 years after a covid infection. In 10 years we may have a wave of teenagers in heart failure. Or kids just dropping dead playing sports.
There is so much more to consider than just whether someone dies during the infection period.

Old 19-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #16174
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Yep. Double vaxxed former secretary of state Colin Powell died of Covid overnight. It doesn't make you invincible being double vaxxed. People are still getting sick and dying, just at a lower rate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...tions-n1281746

WASHINGTON — Colin Powell, the retired four-star general who became the country's first Black secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, died Monday due to complications from Covid-19, his family said in a statement on Facebook.
Whilst what you've said here is true, I'm not sure that it paints the whole picture. The story you've linked to provides details of existing conditions he had

Quote:
Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of a type of white blood cell, which can harm the body's immune system, surgery for prostate cancer when he was Secretary of State and, more recently, Parkinson's disease.
I'm no medical person, but I'd imagine at least one of those would add to the complexity and I think it would be reasonable to assume that the covid vaccination was not going to provide the same level of protection to someone suffering those conditions as it would to the majority of the general public.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 19-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #16175
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common sense has prevailed and non essential retail now open in ACT from Friday.

Bunnings is gonna get wrecked over the weekend. People have been driving out to Goulburn
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #16176
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I read an article today that Japan has bugger all cases seemingly 'overnight'.

Daily cases in the hundreds, near no lockdowns after the huge immunisation push for the Olympics.

Of course, can't find the article now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You are right. But their vax is only 67% 2 dose.

Their new daily case 7 day avg was 23,000 on 7th Aug. On 16th Oct it was 550.
Found it...

Quote:
Japan becomes suprise overnight COVID success story

TOKYO (AP) — Almost overnight, Japan has become a stunning, and somewhat mysterious, coronavirus success story.

Daily new COVID-19 cases have plummeted from a mid-August peak of nearly 6,000 in Tokyo, with caseloads in the densely populated capital now routinely below 100, an 11-month low.

The bars are packed, the trains are crowded, and the mood is celebratory, despite a general bafflement over what, exactly, is behind the sharp drop.

Japan, unlike other places in Europe and Asia, has never had anything close to a lockdown, just a series of relatively toothless states of emergency.

Some possible factors in Japan’s success include a belated but remarkably rapid vaccination campaign, an emptying out of many nightlife areas as fears spread during the recent surge in cases, a widespread practice, well before the pandemic, of wearing masks and bad weather in late August that kept people home.

But with vaccine efficacy gradually waning and winter approaching, experts worry that without knowing what exactly why cases have dropped so drastically, Japan could face another wave like this summer, when hospitals overflowed with serious cases and deaths soared — though the numbers were lower than pre-vaccination levels.

Many credit the vaccination campaign, especially among younger people, for bringing infections down. Nearly 70 percent of the population is fully vaccinated.

“Rapid and intensive vaccinations in Japan among those younger than 64 might have created a temporary condition similar to herd-immunity,” said Dr. Kazuhiro Tateda, a Toho University professor of virology.......
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #16177
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How weird is this.
I am in the position of my not being due my 2nd jab until early next month.
So in NSW I can't get a hair cut, go to the pub, gym or eat in a restaurant.
I just had my dentist appointment confirmed and they haven't asked anything about vaccination status, just the usual asking about if you are feeling ill or showing signs of covid ect ect not to attend.
I can't think of a profession or a situation that would be more of a covid risk than being in dental, yet they have soldiered through.
Sure it is a very needed service but it is just another thing that does not add up.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #16178
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally think this obsession with vaccination status is redundant. ACT Health are not going to enforce this in contrast to NSW but business can do so if they wish but they probably won't in the main.

Sure if they had opened stuff up earlier for those fully vaccinated then I could understand the carrot/stick approach to it but now see not a whole lot of point. Wear masks, sanitise hands, and check in should be enough.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #16179
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
How weird is this.
I just had my dentist appointment confirmed and they haven't asked anything about vaccination status, just the usual asking about if you are feeling ill or showing signs of covid ect ect not to attend.
I can't think of a profession or a situation that would be more of a covid risk than being in dental, yet they have soldiered through.
Sure it is a very needed service but it is just another thing that does not add up.
Dentists are getting patients to use anti-viral mouthwashes at the beginning of their appointment. It lasts about 20 minutes and then you have to rinse again. I've been to the dentist twice during the pandemic and have had to do it both times.

This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #16180
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
because we don't a human variant in Australia
I got mine from Canada Trev, it was 2012, ordered online, I was very sick, but couldn't even get the proper tests here, I paid a doctor in USA, he told me what, where and how to get it, he said go through a certain website, and was directed to a supplier in Canada, not sure if it worked or not, mainly due to existing health issues, it wasn't called Ivermectin, just named as an ingredient.

Went through the dark net, wanted to be anonymous, not sure now what it was called, 3 tablets, but ordered 200 x 100mg doxycycline at same time, my GP dident believe we have Lyme disease in Australia, I know otherwise!
Old 19-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #16181
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I personally think this obsession with vaccination status is redundant. ACT Health are not going to enforce this in contrast to NSW but business can do so if they wish but they probably won't in the main.

Sure if they had opened stuff up earlier for those fully vaccinated then I could understand the carrot/stick approach to it but now see not a whole lot of point. Wear masks, sanitise hands, and check in should be enough.
NSW is heading the same way, it’s already an 82+ percent chance that the person you’re up against (at least in Sydney) is vaccinamacated. I think the QR code’s use is fast declining outside of areas where it’s likely to be enforced (eg individual retail shops).

More surprising this week, is the really abrupt drop of social exercise. The parks where people met and children played are near empty, dog walkers are down.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #16182
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
NSW is heading the same way, it’s already an 82+ percent chance that the person you’re up against (at least in Sydney) is vaccinamacated. I think the QR code’s use is fast declining outside of areas where it’s likely to be enforced (eg individual retail shops).

More surprising this week, is the really abrupt drop of social exercise. The parks where people met and children played are near empty, dog walkers are down.
Despite all the stories of negativity in the press and in here regarding the impacts of the pandemic, there were certainly some benefits that came out of it.

I just hope that some of the good habits that people picked up over the last couple of years are retained.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #16183
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My inner crash junkie can’t wait for the traffic frenzy of 12:01AM November 1st onwards, as Sydney people head for the hills.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #16184
nstg8a

Quote:
My inner crash junkie can’t wait for the traffic frenzy of 12:01AM November 1st onwards, as Sydney people head for the hills.

You wouldn’t wanna be anywhere near the Gold Coast when palletchook opens the border… it’s gonna be carnage.
I feel sorry for the truckies having to navigate the 100,000 grey nomads sitting waiting on the nsw side of the border for the wall to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 09:44 PM   #16185
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ken Behrens incoming by the truckload

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
You wouldn’t wanna be anywhere near the Gold Coast when palletchook opens the border… it’s gonna be carnage.
I feel sorry for the truckies having to navigate the 100,000 grey nomads sitting waiting on the nsw side of the border for the wall to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on what I understand that is not likely to a week before Xmas if at all. Who wants to line up for quarantine in mid November? Sure some will be happy to come home and to visit family but hardly attractive for tourists
Old 19-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #16186
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Dentists are getting patients to use anti-viral mouthwashes at the beginning of their appointment. It lasts about 20 minutes and then you have to rinse again. I've been to the dentist twice during the pandemic and have had to do it both times.
Mmm, I just had a fair bit of dental work done here in Perth, I have had a false upper denture since 1976, ( walked into half a house brick when I was 13 yrs old )

But had 5 lower front removed, asked about using my Rivacol mouth wash and antiseptic, he said just use salty water after food until stitches come out, no Rivacol just salt water?
Am back on Rivacol now, all healed up, funny how they take different approaches which must be to do with Perth being free of covid and lockdown!
Old 19-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #16187
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
But had 5 lower front removed, asked about using my Rivacol mouth wash and antiseptic, he said just use salty water after food until stitches come out, no Rivacol just salt water?
Am back on Rivacol now, all healed up, funny how they take different approaches which must be to do with Perth being free of covid and lockdown!
What you do post-operative is different to what I was referring to. So as to protect the dental staff (from you) during your visit, people are given an anti-viral mouthwash when they first sit in the chair. It apparently gives around 20 minutes of protection from covid in your saliva/mouth/throat or somesuch.
That's what's happening in QLD at least.

Old 19-10-2021, 11:42 PM   #16188
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Whilst what you've said here is true, I'm not sure that it paints the whole picture. The story you've linked to provides details of existing conditions he had

I'm no medical person, but I'd imagine at least one of those would add to the complexity and I think it would be reasonable to assume that the covid vaccination was not going to provide the same level of protection to someone suffering those conditions as it would to the majority of the general public.
Strange really.

12 months ago people would point to death figures from Covid and suggest they weren't accurate as although they we're dying with Covid, they weren't really dying from Covid, it was the underlying health conditions actually killing them.

Now we have fully Vaxed 84yr olds with serious underlying health conditions dying and suddenly Covid is the real killer and the vaccine was useless.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2021, 11:51 PM   #16189
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
What you do post-operative is different to what I was referring to. So as to protect the dental staff (from you) during your visit, people are given an anti-viral mouthwash when they first sit in the chair. It apparently gives around 20 minutes of protection from covid in your saliva/mouth/throat or somesuch.
Must be your state healths rquirement which is a good thing, down here in Vic a few months back I had to visit the Royal Melbourne Dental Hospital for some emergency tooth extraction in which I was given nothing but the local anaesthetic. Quite funny as it bought back memories of the old Melbourne dental hospital when I visited as a kid; they are still butchers in the trade.
Cheers.
Old 20-10-2021, 12:23 AM   #16190
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
If the goal is to keep the majority happy rather than protect the minority then we may aswell go all-out? Let's bring peanut butter sandwiches back in schools. Why should kids with allergies be protected when they're the minority? Healthy kids shouldn't be put out for the sake of others with underlying health problems.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...bans/100520428

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
6 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 07:38 AM   #16191
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
Ha glad you posted that, thankgod for that, all the peanut snacks for kids are the most cost effective ones!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #16192
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I did get a mouth rinse, but thought it was normal practice, he was in my mouth for more than an hour, ended up with a sore neck for weeks, I will ask him next week what the WA protocol is!
Old 20-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #16193
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
Super but that wasn't really the focus of my point. There is a shift going on where people are kind of deciding that someone had it coming because they weren't "healthy"
Isn't that a slippery slope? Does noone else see the danger here?

Even if the figure is "only" 125 kids that have died... how many other scenarios have we had in the world where 125 kids have died from a single cause and it's not seen as a massive tragedy? So many people in society seem to be accepting it as kind of okay because the kids were probably not "healthy".

We've already seen people be told it's basically their own fault if they have an unhealthy lifestyle and die from covid. We're also seeing people generally accept the deaths when there's an underlying health issue that wasn't their fault, even if the person who died was a kid.... but most people in the world have an underlying health issue of some kind.
(https://www.livescience.com/51122-wo...-problems.html and https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0608081753.htm)

Where is the line drawn on which issues people are okay with when it leads to death? Are we going to see that line creep outwards a bit?
It's not going to be much of a stretch to apply that lack of empathy to other people with other health conditions and have society basically willing to exchange their life for the convenience of the rest of the world too. Cystic fibrosis? born with HIV? Quadriplegic after a car accident?

I don't know if it's just a psychological thing that eases peoples' anxiety in the presence of stress or what. There was already a worldwide decline of empathy before the pandemic but it's going to be interesting to see what the world looks like in 5 years

2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #16194
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

And now can we get back on topic?
Old 20-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #16195
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Another day of strong numbers for Victoria, while NSW seems to be reaching a (transient?) baseline in the near-300s.
Old 20-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #16196
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Another day of strong numbers for Victoria, while NSW seems to be reaching a (transient?) baseline in the near-300s.
I would imagine that Victoria will trend down over the next month while NSW will trend up.

Victoria is in Mockdown for the last 6 weeks
Old 20-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #16197
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa

Yes that was an obvious bait but that aside, doctors know that covid causes damage to organs. There is no saying what will happen to these kids in 5, 10, 15 years after a covid infection. In 10 years we may have a wave of teenagers in heart failure. Or kids just dropping dead playing sports.
There is so much more to consider than just whether someone dies during the infection period.
They are already suggesting food allergy bans are actually leading to more kids having food allergies, and they will probably end up changing tact and no longer recommend any bans.

And why exactly do you think the UK, and many other countries as well, are not recommending children take the vax? It is because the risk of vax side effects outweighs the potential issues with a child getting covid. They do not know what the long term effects of the vax will be. And so far we are seeing numerous cases of heart issues.

The evidence so far is showing that kids are barely affected by covid. And even now they are starting to see the long covid cases clearing up within 12 months.

And what do you think we did before covid existed? The same kids who had the health problems probably died when they got the flu. It sucks, but it's the reality of nature. The sick ones with the weak genetics will never be safe, covid or not. At least now they have modern medicine to help them. Go back a century ago and these kids probably wouldn't have lived to the age of 5.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #16198
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

NSW/VIC

NSW records 283 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 0.9584 (from 0.9370) while the actual line moves further above the predictive trend line and is heading upward again.

VIC records 1,842 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0089 (from 0.998) while the actual line is heading back toward the predictive trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #16199
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
How weird is this.
ditto Cyber, I actually had a general check and clean yesterday at HCF dental.
QR coded myself in
Temp check
The covid procedures was the usual form to fill out
Feel crook blablah
Visited any hot spots
Been Interstate/OS < like ofcourse NOT
No check if single or double vaxxed
No check of that proof
Obviously I think it would be hard for that industry to discriminate but to prottect themselves and visitors the covid speed test should be made available.
and NO anti mouth wash, first I heard of this.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 20-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #16200
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT October 19th 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,987 new cases for Australia and 15 deaths so the CMR is 1.058%.

98 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.543%.

The UK had 43,624 cases yesterday and 223 deaths for a CMR of 1.626%.

76,195 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,815 deaths sees CMR at 1.627%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 242M, the last 1M in 3 days;

Singapore (3,994); and
Romania (18,863)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Slovenia moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Costa Rica drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Closed Thread