Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 28-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
OBW351

Default brakes on 9sec falcon

hi all

i have an xy fairmont i am upgrading driveline in to give true street a crack in APSA, the question i am asking is what sort of brakes are people running to pull their things up from 130+mph. i was looking at keeping the rear drums but upgrading the fronts, any suggestions?

cheers brent

351clevo no longer, in comes 428ci svo block with trickflow heads, hogans sheet manifold and 1050 carb, 760hp at flywheel, bring on big skids

FOR SALE:Moroso sump to suit SVO/Dart block pm for details

FOR SALE:Brand new Dart block 9.2 deck 4.125 boreSold
OBW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
v gate

i wouldn't touch the fronts but i would put discs on the rear. if you crack 130mph with disc/drum ya need a chute and disc/disc is 140mph. the stock fronts should be more than enuff considering the width of a front runner dont put much of a foot print down anyways and its not like bathurst where your on the brake every 10 secs. but thats just my thoughts others may say differently.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V Gate got it slightly wrong.

Any vehicle at over 140mph needs a chute.
If you have front and rear brakes (disc or drum), there is no requirement for a chute up to the 140mph limit.
If you only have 1 set of brakes (front in a sedan, or rear only in a dragster), then 135mph is the limit when you will need a chute.

I comfortably stop with the stock disc/drum factory combination in my xa coupe from 135mph, as do most others. Just make sure you have good quality pads and discs. Don't get cross drilled discs because they will crack around the holes. Also make sure you have fresh top quality brake fluid. The final tip is that a mid-range pad is best. A full race pad takes too long to heat up with just a single stop, and a standard pad will get too hot by the end of braking.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
63futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your getting a diff built why not get disc rear end
Too much braking is better than not enough
63futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
yogi351

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
V Gate got it slightly wrong.

Any vehicle at over 140mph needs a chute.
If you have front and rear brakes (disc or drum), there is no requirement for a chute up to the 140mph limit.
If you only have 1 set of brakes (front in a sedan, or rear only in a dragster), then 135mph is the limit when you will need a chute.

I comfortably stop with the stock disc/drum factory combination in my xa coupe from 135mph, as do most others. Just make sure you have good quality pads and discs. Don't get cross drilled discs because they will crack around the holes. Also make sure you have fresh top quality brake fluid. The final tip is that a mid-range pad is best. A full race pad takes too long to heat up with just a single stop, and a standard pad will get too hot by the end of braking.
You were close, 2 wheel brakes require a parachute at 130mph, not 135mph...
yogi351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi351
You were close, 2 wheel brakes require a parachute at 130mph, not 135mph...
DOH

I need some reading glasses! One figure relates to dragsters, the other to sedans with 2 wheels braking.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
v gate

sounds like we both better start reading the rule book instead using our powers of remember
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
OBW351

thanks guys for the tips, i have slotted rotors on the front of mine at the moment so i might just stick with them and drums on rear and see how we go.

351clevo no longer, in comes 428ci svo block with trickflow heads, hogans sheet manifold and 1050 carb, 760hp at flywheel, bring on big skids

FOR SALE:Moroso sump to suit SVO/Dart block pm for details

FOR SALE:Brand new Dart block 9.2 deck 4.125 boreSold
OBW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post