Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #2371
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Its not unheard of, heaps of couriers have side loaders attached to trayback utes. Main reason for a side loader on a ute is mainly because you cannot use a tailgate loader if you have a trailer attached or to load pallets from the rear.
I see a few council set ups with those side loading utes, some even have a lift similar to garbage refuse trucks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #2372
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry if this has been discussed in here earlier but I'm looking at updating my tired Greenfield ride on.

It's still running but burns a fair bit of oil, needs 4 new tyres, battery etc. So I'm thinking of sending it to my dads place down the road and buying myself a new one.

So looking for recommendations on a decent ride on. I'm on a gently sloping block, approximately 1500 square metres (although once a month or so I cut the clearing behind my house, about 700 square metres). Preferably no bigger than a 38 inch deck and it must have a catcher.

Cheers guys

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2023, 04:15 PM   #2373
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed in here earlier but I'm looking at updating my tired Greenfield ride on.

It's still running but burns a fair bit of oil, needs 4 new tyres, battery etc. So I'm thinking of sending it to my dads place down the road and buying myself a new one.

So looking for recommendations on a decent ride on. I'm on a gently sloping block, approximately 1500 square metres (although once a month or so I cut the clearing behind my house, about 700 square metres). Preferably no bigger than a 38 inch deck and it must have a catcher.

Cheers guys
Husqvarna or John Deere 100 series but I'm bias.

Aussie ?? Cub Cadet or Cox.

2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #2374
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Husqvarna or John Deere 100 series but I'm bias.

Aussie ?? Cub Cadet or Cox.
Thanks. Been looking at Husqvarna as there's a dealer nearby. I've read some pretty bad reviews on them but most other brands get cop them as well.

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

Old 25-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #2375
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks. Been looking at Husqvarna as there's a dealer nearby. I've read some pretty bad reviews on them but most other brands get cop them as well.
Don’t think there is much more than name badges separating most brands.Briggs engines,peerless transmissions,thin steel or plastic bodies etc.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 05:06 PM   #2376
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a YTD2246 Husqvarna for nearly 10 years now and I can't fault it.
The only change I made to it was to put swing blades under it instead of the one piece cutting bar.
I did that because our property was pretty rough and ready and my wife broke a couple of spindles in the early part. Haven't broken one since and the property has gone from rough and ready to lawns in a couple of the paddocks (where I want them) and very serviceable in the others.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 06:26 PM   #2377
roKWiz
Cabover nut

someone's got a sense of humour. $950 DJ special.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

A rare collectors item!! Original limited edition #17 Dick Johnson ride on.
Has duct tape on cracks in the hood and has rub marks and scratches like a true racecar!!! but she runs great and cuts the grass a treat.
Tried to google and can't find anything else like it

5 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 06:35 PM   #2378
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
someone's got a sense of humour. $950 DJ special.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

A rare collectors item!! Original limited edition #17 Dick Johnson ride on.
Has duct tape on cracks in the hood and has rub marks and scratches like a true racecar!!! but she runs great and cuts the grass a treat.
Tried to google and can't find anything else like it

I'd rock that.

Old 25-04-2023, 07:04 PM   #2379
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Found a Stihl 028AV Super for sale on FB marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...60914817920777
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #2380
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
Found a Stihl 028AV Super for sale on FB marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...60914817920777
LOL -

"Only selling because I can’t use 3 at once.
Great mechanical condition, cosmetically it’s good, would clean up better.
easy saw to start. Chain lubricates well and it doesn’t blow smoke
Pickup Warragul or can deliver for a small fee"

Bullsh,t, it's a two-stroke, of course it blows smoke.

Reminds me of someone attempting to sell a Victa two-stroke lawn mower with the description that its "a bit smokey, but runs real good".

Gotta love Facebook Marketplace..................a place where people attempt to sell things that they have no clue about to likewise clueless people.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2023, 09:34 PM   #2381
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers guys
I use a husqvarna TC138T weekly which is a 38inch cut with a rear mount catcher.
It’s a comfortable mower which is easy to service, I do most of it myself, but it’s no good at cutting heavy stuff, you’ll need a side discharge model(minus catcher) for that.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 29-04-2023, 12:39 AM   #2382
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up the new van, the old express on the highway for 5 hrs wasn’t pleasant, but it made it after snapping another AC compressor bolt. Suspension bushes clunked the whole way despite having been replaced over the last few months. Ear plugs were needed.
I did a straight load area swap over with my shelving and work bench set up, it’s 300mm shorter, the overall length is longer, but there’s more space dedicated to bonnet and cabin area.
First impressions? It drives nice and the 4G69 is really quiet, the clutch pedal is too high, it’s taking me a bit to get used to low speed driving. Quality? It’s no Toyota, the body will age much quicker, but it was nice to drive thru the leafy suburbs today ��

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-04-2023, 11:26 PM   #2383
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The only must do's in my book for vans, after the safety cage is rear floor coverage and lighting. Rear floor coverage is for no greater reason then sound deadening. So if theres no factory rubber mat (l300s didnt have that) then clark rubbers the place to go. And lighting in the back. Ive never come across a stock van with anything more then poxy lighting in the back. A strip of 12v LEDs stuck around the perimeter of the roof dodgey wired into the factory light fixes that.
I just did exactly that. The load area has 4 puny lights on the sides toward the back. I have shelving on one side by the door and a work bench on the other side, they both receive zero illumination from the existing lights.
Bought 2 x 60cm long stick on LED strips fitted above the sliding doors, works absolutely mint, and they cost less than $20 each from Supercheap.
The only thing it’s missing now is a centre console. There is a tray on the floor between the seats, but it’s crap rummaging around trying to find things while you drive.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #2384
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I've been using the Husqvarna 525BX blower over the last few weeks, but today I decided to swap back to the BG 86.

This BG 86 has ElastoStart rather than Easy2Start on the BG 86C. I can't help feeling that ElastoStart is so much nicer to use, offering a more natural movement when pulling the rope. The concept here is that the rope has a small amount of elasticity, reducing the shock when reaching the end of travel. Easy2Start in comparison has a coiled spring to provide momentum, in turn reducing the effort needed to pull the engine over. However, the system feels inconsistent and give little feedback against the rope.

I always assumed choosing the BG 86C for the Easy2Start feature was a natural choice. But after paying to have several of them repaired, and after using a machine without it, I would easily recommend not paying the premium to have it.

Also, the BG 86 has much better throttle response, lacking that initial bog down the 525BX has when throttling up from idle. The anti-vibration is better too. Small differences that add up. My new BG 86 seems to be revving nicely now after run-in.

I just wish Stihl and Husqvarna would address the hot starting issues.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2023, 01:17 AM   #2385
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I'm pretty sure the easy2start system was on one of the FS38's i resurrected recently, felt really unnatural how the cord would come out a few inches and suddenly snatch the motor over.....
Old 02-05-2023, 11:38 PM   #2386
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone notice a diff in fuel consumption between BG86 and 525BX?
Stihl, I fill up daily, husqvarna seems to be twice per day.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-05-2023, 06:34 PM   #2387
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Anyone notice a diff in fuel consumption between BG86 and 525BX?
Stihl, I fill up daily, husqvarna seems to be twice per day.
Something I noticed pretty early on, 525BX does seems to drink more.
Mustang GT

Old 16-05-2023, 09:04 AM   #2388
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Thought DFB might appreciate this pic spotted on a FB page.

credit to picture owner who states.
(Picking up the new Atco mower from the transport depot in Sydney, 1959.)

Last edited by GasoLane; 16-05-2023 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Resized pic
7 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2023, 09:19 AM   #2389
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

them, Atco and old roller miners are now collecting crazy prices by collectors.
Old 16-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #2390
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old man bought an ATCO in the early 60s.
It was a weapon in more ways than one, particularly if you can imagine an 11-12 year old getting dragged everywhere by it.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2023, 08:24 PM   #2391
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Like the grass, this thread seems to quieten down as winter bites. Giving my lawn a lick over this week, did the front today. I’m hopeful of pushing the next cut out to 5, maybe 6 weeks and just dealing with the deluge of leaves inbetween. A sixty year old mature Liquidambar drops quite a lot of leaf.

Wondering if glyphosate will work much at present, with day temperatures in the middle teens. There’s a bunch of grasses that I’d like dead, popping up under my rhododendrons.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2023, 09:25 PM   #2392
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Like the grass, this thread seems to quieten down as winter bites. Giving my lawn a lick over this week, did the front today. I’m hopeful of pushing the next cut out to 5, maybe 6 weeks and just dealing with the deluge of leaves inbetween. A sixty year old mature Liquidambar drops quite a lot of leaf.

Wondering if glyphosate will work much at present, with day temperatures in the middle teens. There’s a bunch of grasses that I’d like dead, popping up under my rhododendrons.
The lawns where I am literally come to an abrupt halt this season, I'm already on my monthly winter rotation rather than fortnightly. Good in that I can actually slow down a bit, to the point where I am looking at getting two "weekends" back-to-back. Of course, the drop in weekly income is the consequence.

With glyphosate in winter, it will still work but will take twice as long to even show signs of yellowing. You can also try including a surfactant in the mix, which helps the chemical stick to the foliage and mitigate the moisture in the air. I use Searls Spreadmax, but you can also use dish washing liquid, a few drops at the most.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/searles-...352?store=8195
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2023, 09:38 PM   #2393
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I took this image this morning at my favorite clients place, a Canadian Maple looking stunning..............

I actually can't quite remember which variety this tree is, I really should know as I planted it myself. I'm fairly sure its Acer rubrum 'October Glory', but it could also be Acer x Freemanii Autumn Blaze.

Both versions are almost identical save for minute differences in leaf shape and only a meter separating their height and spread. Both produce a fantastic orange and red display during autumn and are an easy sell for that reason.

Despite being only days from winter, this particular example is still covered in foliage. Cold and rainy conditions over the next few days will change that real fast though.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2023, 12:11 AM   #2394
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It does look nice. I’m thinking of being antisocial to some of the new developments behind me, and planting a few poplars along the back fence.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2023, 12:14 AM   #2395
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It does look nice. I’m thinking of being antisocial to some of the new developments behind me, and planting a few poplars along the back fence.
Go for it, I'm all for being anti-social!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2023, 09:10 AM   #2396
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The lawns where I am literally come to an abrupt halt this season, I'm already on my monthly winter rotation rather than fortnightly. Good in that I can actually slow down a bit, to the point where I am looking at getting two "weekends" back-to-back. Of course, the drop in weekly income is the consequence.

With glyphosate in winter, it will still work but will take twice as long to even show signs of yellowing. You can also try including a surfactant in the mix, which helps the chemical stick to the foliage and mitigate the moisture in the air. I use Searls Spreadmax, but you can also use dish washing liquid, a few drops at the most.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/searles-...352?store=8195
Funny you say that, was back at my place for the first time in 7 weeks on Saturday thinking I would be picking up gum branches (from Cockatoos), mowing and raking.
The only thing to do was mow the LONG grass.

3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2023, 09:14 PM   #2397
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My lawns are all on monthly now, it’s giving me a chance to catch up on gardens and other maintenance jobs that had been put off. We’ve been warm until now so hedges are still needing clipping, and I’m almost ready to slash and whipper winter weed growth. I even pruned my first 6 roses of the season, now only 837 to go ��

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 05-06-2023, 04:34 PM   #2398
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have said this a couple of times in regard to Briggs & Stratton's "No Oil Change" consumer engines, but please change the oil. This video shows why..............

Seeing the thick, gloopy black oil dripping out of those engines should be all the visual evidence you need to ignore Briggs & Stratton's advice and take the 5 minutes to change your oil.

I also don't really like the 30-weight oil they like to put in these things. That oil is designed to be consistently thick so that it doesn't burn too much. This is for a couple of reasons, firstly emissions, secondly for cost control and thirdly for reduced warranty claims due to consumers never checking their oil.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/briggs-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The fact Briggs & Stratton also sell a 10W/30 oil says it all. But you will struggle find that stuff outside of an online store or mower shop.

https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...30-oil-4-litre

I switched to Penrite Semi-Synthetic 10W/30 Small Engine a while ago for availability reasons and because its a better oil. It doesn't burn any faster than the glue-like SAE30 stuff, well except for the Krohler, and its cheap enough.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...re/346381.html
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...re/545714.html

Having said that, I do also carry some SAE30 for my older engines, the Victa with worn rings, and for the Rover Combat (which I'm still waiting on parts for).
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #2399
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have been using this saw more than I expected!

A few weeks ago, a Neighbour asked me to remove a couple of small trees that needed to be moved to allow access for the removal of an unused spa. I'm not sure if anyone here has ever had to cut a Letospermum (Tea Tree), but that timber is like solid rock, so it needed the grunt of the MS 271. And an opportunity to make some noise!

(Said spa has been causing her grief due to the council insisting that it be fenced off. The spa has been drained and not used in years, is covered and surrounded by existing boundary fences. But no, the council insist that it could fill up again, and that it must be fenced off...........even though she has explained that its been drained and covered and will be removed shortly. All this bulsh.t and yet we have miles and miles of unfenced channels servicing farms and orchard, a large unfenced lake, three unfenced rivers snaking through the district and a recently built fire station with a large drainage reserve that if often full of water and not fenced. But a pool or spa within a fenced residence is somehow a danger to all. Typical of an antiqued organization trying to justify their jobs. Rant over).

And today, after a rainstorm, this heavily laden Lily Pily had snaped a few larger branches. Of course, I could have broken out my little folding handsaw, but that would have been a missed opportunity to make some noise.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #2400
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have been using this saw more than I expected!

A few weeks ago, a Neighbour asked me to remove a couple of small trees that needed to be moved to allow access for the removal of an unused spa. I'm not sure if anyone here has ever had to cut a Letospermum (Tea Tree), but that timber is like solid rock, so it needed the grunt of the MS 271. And an opportunity to make some noise!

(Said spa has been causing her grief due to the council insisting that it be fenced off. The spa has been drained and not used in years, is covered and surrounded by existing boundary fences. But no, the council insist that it could fill up again, and that it must be fenced off...........even though she has explained that its been drained and covered and will be removed shortly. All this bulsh.t and yet we have miles and miles of unfenced channels servicing farms and orchard, a large unfenced lake, three unfenced rivers snaking through the district and a recently built fire station with a large drainage reserve that if often full of water and not fenced. But a pool or spa within a fenced residence is somehow a danger to all. Typical of an antiqued organization trying to justify their jobs. Rant over).

And today, after a rainstorm, this heavily laden Lily Pily had snaped a few larger branches. Of course, I could have broken out my little folding handsaw, but that would have been a missed opportunity to make some noise.
Got the job done.

The councils lately have been clamping down on anything that holds water.
One of my clients was being hassled by council to put a fence around his pool which they had previously passed and given there is a large dam in the paddock just on the other side of the house.

2 users like this post: