Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
norm999

Default Which car to take Fiesta or falcon

HI just looking for opinions on which car to take on trip to Brisbane from townsville out of ef falcon or g/f fiesta. How are fiestas on long trips any advise muchly appreciated

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm999
HI just looking for opinions on which car to take on trip to Brisbane from townsville out of ef falcon or g/f fiesta. How are fiestas on long trips any advise muchly appreciated
Take the Falcon....it will rev much less on the highways hence it will be a much more comfortable and pleasant trip, the Fez is a bit of a high rev little thing...not much chop on the open road imo.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
goop

+ less road noise, less wind and road buffeting in the falcon... if it's in good nick
Fez probably a bit better on fuel and more fun thru the twisties tho.
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Take the Falcon....it will rev much less on the highways hence it will be a much more comfortable and pleasant trip, the Fez is a bit of a high rev little thing...not much chop on the open road imo.
Having had Both Rob, I'm going to disagree with you here.

I ONLY do Highway driving most of the time, and therefore the Fez's highway performance was a huge factor in considering it. Truth be told, the Fiesta is just as quiet and compliant at 100 km/h as my old EF was. Its also more reliable, and less likeley to overheat, blow hoses, head gaskets, or ECU's on long trips where it could possibly get hot.

Don't discount the Fiesta for a road trip simply becasue it is small...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

lots of roos and wildlife up that way.. big is good in that sort of case.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #6
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Personally, I found my EF to be easier on the highways than the Fez. It has the necessary power on tap to overtake when needed and its highway consumption wouldn't be a great deal more. It does however, tempt one to push the limits a little more though.
Old 26-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'm guessing the Fiesta would be safer (as judged by NCAP)

Also, more road feel in the steering too. Fuel consumption would also be better....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Roo's will stuuf your day up no matter what car you're in, I drove from Brisbane to Sydney over Xmas last year, straight through on the way down, my only complaint was cramp in my left ankle (damn narrow footwells), did it in about 10 1/2 hours.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Having had Both Rob, I'm going to disagree with you here.
If you've had both of them Danny then you would be far better placed to comment than me.....I myself have never owned a Falcon of any model, I was "presuming" the Falcon would be better suited to the highway stuff, less revving etc, but never actually having owned one of the "big birds" I really cannot say......"I'll keep ma big gob shut on this one"..... :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
its good IF you get hit, lol, but im sure the fez has a shorter stopping distance if you see the Roo or if u dont and have to swerve the fez has unbelivable grip in wet or dry.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
Danny
GT4.

The only thing the falcon has over Fez for long trips is space to put stuff, and overtaking torque at 100km/h. Safety wise. Fiesta performed better than EF Falcon in EURO NCAP tests (Steven, Is that what you meant?) If its space and overtaking torque you want, then go the big Falc.
Old 26-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yep, that is what I meant. It has better safety in regards to brakes and steering also.

Yea, you need to learn how to overtake (on the other side of the road) with the Fiesta. Pull back from the car in front... then accelerate so as you approach the rear of the vehicle, your already going quicker then it... then head over to the other side to overtake!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 26-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Couldn't agree more...
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
norm999

Thanks for ur info. We are siding with the Fez at this stage cos it'll be better round the coast and brissy - it's just the highway driving we're a bit worried bout. 2 weeks to go!!!
Old 26-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
crispymk2

if the falc has cruise control I'd take that... damn sore acellerator foot...
Old 26-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

My Fiesta had been down south (past Nowra), West to Lithgow, and North to Nelsons Bay. All on the highway. I've had no dramas with it. Very easy to drive on the freeway.

Fez road trip!

Old 27-07-2006, 12:35 AM   #17
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
My Fiesta had been down south (past Nowra), West to Lithgow, and North to Nelsons Bay. All on the highway. I've had no dramas with it. Very easy to drive on the freeway.

Fez road trip!
Eww you had to go to Lithgow, what a hole...
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

My Fiesta did Sydney - Canberra no issues. It does cruise a little high, especially being a Zetec (4.25:1 final drive), 110km/h @ 3200rpm.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Eww you had to go to Lithgow, what a hole...
Bells Line of Road man... BLOR!

Tried it? So worth visiting Lithgow...

Old 27-07-2006, 02:53 AM   #20
Fez WQ

Cool which one-cheaper one!!!!!$$$$$$$$$

I own a AU2 SR Sedan 2001 and a 2006 fez. I just went down south of perth to walpole 230kms south. I took the fez with wife and 3 small kids. I sat on 115km/h got 645kms out of a tank.If I took my falcon would have more room cruise control is good but the fez was cheaper by about $50 and more fun.
By the way the AU2 is getting sold soon for a honda oddesy first non-ford car I have bought !!!!!!!!!!!!
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #21
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Dude take the Fez, i just avoided a huge ROO on the way to the station this morning, jumped right out in front of me, hit the brakes and and turned to the left then back to the right, stupid thing didnt even move, control over the car was awesum, no tyre slippage or anything complete huggingness to the road. (i was doing 110 btw)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

well I feel like I can make a comment, as my GF has a barina (2000, euro not trash) and thats close enough to a fez.

On long trips we always take my car, its more comfortable and has just as good mileage, if not better, than hers. Not to mention cruise control etc etc.

Not all falcons over heat and die...lol....EF's are getting on a bit, but if kept well they will last for ages.

If it was zipping around town then I would take the barina every time, fuel consumption alone would make sure of that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Polyal,

My mate has a 2004 (euro) Barina, and they are quite different to the Fiesta. We swapped half way to Nelsons Bay, and I couldn't handle it, so I hopped back into my car!

Old 27-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #24
BlackLS

If the EF is in good nick, take that. You'll find it more comfortable, and be able to carry luggage with ease.
Old 28-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Polyal,

My mate has a 2004 (euro) Barina, and they are quite different to the Fiesta. We swapped half way to Nelsons Bay, and I couldn't handle it, so I hopped back into my car!
Yeah Im not bagging the Fez, was going to buy one myself, was just comparing big VS small car, cruising on the highway there would be bugger all difference between a barina and a Fez.

Ive only taken a Fez on a test drive, didn't do 100 kph but im sure its like any other small car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah Im not bagging the Fez, was going to buy one myself, was just comparing big VS small car, cruising on the highway there would be bugger all difference between a barina and a Fez.

Ive only taken a Fez on a test drive, didn't do 100 kph but im sure its like any other small car.
Didn't I just say it was as good as my EF on the freeway?
Old 30-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #27
Sonia

Take the Falcon.... the Fiesta is good for cornering and city driving.... but I'm not a fan of it for long highway driving.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #28
norm999

Thanks for all your help! We finally made our trip down to the Gold Coast. It went really well. Despite being packed to the brim the fez didn't struggle at all, was really good on fuel n even kept up with ease with the falcons & commodores on the motorway at 120km. So we've still got the trip back so fingers crossed!!! Will keep you posted