Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default Further investment at Broady

FYI

Ford’s Vehicle Operations Manufacturing Engineering Team Goes Further

Jun-04-2012 11:40 PM ET
MELBOURNE, Australia — Ford’s Vehicle Operations Manufacturing Engineering (VOME) team has gone further to improve efficiency through an upgrade of its wheel alignment facilities.

The APA VOME End of Line team, led by Dave Hildreth, combined new Mahle eCats software into Ford’s wheel alignment facilities, which helped optimise overall cycle time. In addition, it provides the engineers with a detailed insight into the task a vehicle is performing during each diagnostic stage.

Wheel Align facilities have traditionally used proprietary software for control, interface and data storage.

“These upgrades enable electrical testing of vehicles to be spread more efficiently across the Pre Delivery Area via software standardisation and distribution of tests into Wheel Align,” Hildreth said.

“Other benefits include the ability to remotely view and analyse Wheel Align data using a web-based reporting system such as Report Logiq.”

The new system also allows plants to run different calibration tests between facilities, allowing the testing of advanced vehicle features on a controlled level surface, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Aid, and Lane Departure Warning. Combined, these help with the further development of future vehicles.

Hildreth said the new system, which is now in place at the Broadmeadows plant in Australia, the Chongqing plant in china and the Rayong plant in Thailand, and will be introduced as the regional standard.

JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Further investment at Broady

does that mean that ford au will be manufacturing here in melbourne for a long time to come or am I just reading to much into it

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

That's a good thing

Was there any more info or was that the whole story? Can I ask where the story was sourced from?

Cheers
Col
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Google gives this from searching the name of the article.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
The new system also allows plants to run different calibration tests between facilities, allowing the testing of advanced vehicle features on a controlled level surface, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Aid, and Lane Departure Warning. Combined, these help with the further development of future vehicles.
So does the above mean these could end up in the terri/falcon?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Definitely, wouldn't need to test or certify on imports that already have it. So that leaves opportunity for the local product and obviously the development work that FordAPA are responsible for on their global and ASEAN programs.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news, especially on the potential for added features.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's good to hear some positive new's lately after the grey cloud's that have been looming.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
It's good to hear some positive new's lately after the grey cloud's that have been looming.
I'll second that; great to hear some investment happening. let's see if it turns up on any of the Drive/Carpoint type sites.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford’s Vehicle Operations Manufacturing Engineering.

Positive signs for the falcon and territory. Ford cementing its facilities here for longer then the reported 2016 date perhaps.

Take this, haters.

Falcon here to stay...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ford’s Vehicle Operations Manufacturing Engineering.

Positive signs for the falcon and territory. Ford cementing its facilities here for longer then the reported 2016 date perhaps.

Take this, haters.

Falcon here to stay...
Id say positive signs for sure, dont know about what car will be coming down the line though.

But at the end of the day you dont spend money knowing your about to pull the plug.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a new car being worked on... that's all I can say.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No please tell us more, is it for local sale, is it part of the falcon range please tell us more
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
I was going to say I wonder if the lack of development into the ute (ok it has LPi but no ecoboost..no RTV..no TDi...not much) would mean that the Ranger could be built here to suit the resources demand which should be good for some time yet.

But that doesnt make much sense as Thailand would do it alot cheaper I assume....

Small car..nah Focus and Fiesta again done better elsewhere..medium size..maybe.

Damn it must be the new GWRD hey, or a RHD Mustang to be made here and exported to other RHD places.../dream
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Investing in Australia is always a good sinse!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Take this, haters.
Damn right.

Ford Motor wouldnt be approving this additional facility and expenditure on manufacturing operations that are supposedly doomed. Don't forget Ford Australia is one of only three locations in the Ford empire that can design, engineer, test and build a car from scratch. The end.

Also, those items listed on that press release (blind spot system etc) are a sure bet for the MY14 update. The FG already uses EUCD door mirrors which have all of these functions in other EUCD cars.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
The new system also allows plants to run different calibration tests between facilities, allowing the testing of advanced vehicle features on a controlled level surface, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Aid, and Lane Departure Warning. Combined, these help with the further development of future vehicles

Really refreshing to hear some good indications for once.

Last edited by Rodge; 07-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Damn right.

Ford Motor wouldnt be approving this additional facility and expenditure on manufacturing operations that are supposedly doomed. Don't forget Ford Australia is one of only three locations in the Ford empire that can design, engineer, test and build a car from scratch. The end.

Also, those items listed on that press release (blind spot system etc) are a sure bet for the MY14 update. The FG already uses EUCD door mirrors which have all of these functions in other EUCD cars.
Best post in the whole thread!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did I read the whole story wrong or is everyone getting excited about nothing? It was a software upgrade. No new machine or anything. Someone has simply put in a disk or downloaded some software that is also being used overseas.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Great news, well done FORD.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Did I read the whole story wrong or is everyone getting excited about nothing? It was a software upgrade. No new machine or anything. Someone has simply put in a disk or downloaded some software that is also being used overseas.
After re-reading it, you could be right. But these days software can be more expense then hardware??
Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is there any indications of when you'll or Ford will be about to say something?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think any future plans are in serious danger after the latest market response meetings.

Just can't see the place even being close to viable when Falcon sales are down so low and they are predicting it will get even worse, based on the huge amount of down days planned. Only hope for a future model past 2016 must solely rely on an export plan or its curtains. You could never pay back a half billion+ investment for a new model solely relying on such pitiful local sales.

I'm hoping they do have some sort of export plan, can't see any other way.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
You missed the point completely.....
Broadmeadows is getting such an upgrade because Ford is developing vehicles with these advanced features...

Think about it,
Ford continues to upgrade a line that some think will be closing.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #25
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You missed the point completely.....
Broadmeadows is getting such an upgrade because Ford is developing vehicles with these advanced features...

Think about it,
Ford continues to upgrade a line that some think will be closing.......
That's how I read it, more a case of adding new tech to the actual production line to add new tech to locally produced vehicles. What at first seems a "yeah, what ever" upgrade gives a little insight on what is to come in future with respect to product features. Thanks for the tip JPFS1.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 07-06-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
That's how I read it, more a case of adding new tech to the actual production line to add new tech to locally produced vehicles.
Add to that JPFS1's cryptic "...another car being worked on.."
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Could this be the quote of the year, lol...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Yeah I'm sure head office back in Detroit would issue a press release about shoving a software update disc into a computer

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Define car....model or line?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are right, I did this simple calculation to try and work out the profit margin Ford would need to maintain for each Falcon sold just to pay off the R&D investment costs in to a significant model upgrade over a three year period.

I obviously do not know the average profit per Falcon sold (profit in this case being the revenue minus all manufacturing/marketing/sales related costs but excluding cost of R&D) so I used the following few numbers:

At $5,000 (profit per car) x 13,000 (yearly sales forecast) x 3 years (model life span) = $195 mil
At $7,500 (profit per car) x 13,000 (yearly sales forecast) x 3 years (model life span) = $292.5 mil
At $10,000 (profit per car) x 13,000 (yearly sales forecast) x 3 years (model life span) = $390 mil
At $12,500 (profit per car) x 13,000 (yearly sales forecast) x 3 years (model life span) = $487.5 mil
At $15,000 (profit per car) x 13,000 (yearly sales forecast) x 3 years (model life span) = $585 mil

So assuming that a decent model update would require an R&D budget of say 500million, with the current forecasted sales numbers of 13,000 annually, ford would have to make somewhere in the region of $15,000 per car once to cover the cost of R&D and make a tiny profit. Considering the cost of the Falcon, and that majority of cars are sold as heavy discounts to fleets, it seems highly unlikely that Fords margin per sale is anywhere near that region … hence investing such a substantial amount of money based on the current sales projections would absolutely make no financial sense. OFCS having the government chip in a whole bunch of money would change the balance, but it would have to be a pretty substantial chip in …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think any future plans are in serious danger after the latest market response meetings.

Just can't see the place even being close to viable when Falcon sales are down so low and they are predicting it will get even worse, based on the huge amount of down days planned. Only hope for a future model past 2016 must solely rely on an export plan or its curtains. You could never pay back a half billion+ investment for a new model solely relying on such pitiful local sales.

I'm hoping they do have some sort of export plan, can't see any other way.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post