Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default fuel mileage.....can you beat this

had some deliveries up north, in no hurry so 100 - 110 going up and dawdled back at 100 coming home

just on 700 kilometres from the tank.......very close to empty when I got back in early this morning though......don't reckon she'd go too much further

very cold, still night, little bit of rain!!!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
crymoarpls
Banned

Default Re: fuel mileage.....can you beat this

yes my car uses fuel at a much quicker rate! mine only goes 320km on a tank.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Diesel Territory does 1,000 km cause engineer in the ad says so...must be right.

Edit,
That's about right for a BA, if you drive a Falcon with a light foot, +700 km is there for the taking
i even got 745 km out of my EF II years ago but that was another time....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! in the BA.......not aware that I was creating a "pi55ing" contest

I am just amazed at the economy of the large six......my normal running is around 7 - 9 litres per 100 which equates to around 500 to 600 kms per tank

if it's going to turn into any sort of contest I will ask that the thread be shut down from the start

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You would have gone further if you were doing 90!

Focus diesel... best I got from a tank was 920km.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf

I am just amazed at the economy of the large six......my normal running is around 7 - 9 litres per 100 which equates to around 500 to 600 kms per tank

if it's going to turn into any sort of contest I will ask that the thread be shut down from the start
If you don't use cruise control you can get way better economy.
Using the momentum of the undulating road is something the cruise doesn't let us do..

(corrected my grammar for clarity)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

840k from fg xr6t trayback ute 6sp manual
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Diesel Territory does 1,000 km cause engineer in the ad says so...must be right.

Edit,
That's about right for a BA, if you drive a Falcon with a light foot, +700 km is there for the taking
i even got 745 km out of my EF II years ago but that was another time....
The EF was a lighter more aerodynamic car than the BA though. I think my BA would struggle to get 650klm on a run in perfect conditions.

On another note, I once made my VT LS1 get 250klm to a tank

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't use cruise as there were a couple of big fellers off the side of the road plus triple and quad road trains

ground relatively flat from coober pedy, I was surprised that it returned such a good figure

Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The EF was a lighter more aerodynamic car than the BA though. I think my BA would struggle to get 650klm on a run in perfect conditions.

On another note, I once made my VT LS1 get 250klm to a tank
I had three in the car and used cruise most of the way from Hornsby to Muwillimbah.

I got 740 KM out of a VX SS manual from Sydney to Warwick a few years ago with 4 up and luggage,
that was impressive because I went up past Newcastle and back across Thunderbolt's way

Edit,
Has anyone done a long distance run in a new Ecoboost Falcon yet?
Dying to know how far people are getting on light cruise...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

860k's per tank in my XR6 FG on a round trip from Brisbane to Melbourne and back recently. Averaged 7.9 litres per 100k's. Included some city driving in Melbourne and Sydney. I was very impressed with what I got from my XR6 and it is such a lovely car to drive.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1997 VT Commodore Acclaim wagon Sydney to Beaudesert in qld on 1 tankful using cruise 5k over posted speed signs (allowing for inaccurate speedo reading), 4 hours from St Marys to Kempsey mostly freeway, 110kph. would have been better but truckies don't like sitting behind you at 90kph which is the most economical speed to travel at. And it is surprising how many Fords I went past while going there. Of course, they must have all been oldies going on holidays. Maybe I should add, travel distance 840k. Works out to less than 8.3kpl

Last edited by graham7773; 12-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
rex351

Can't get under 11L/100km in our BF traytop ute, averages around 16 in town even with a light right foot. You win!
rex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex351
Can't get under 11L/100km in our BF traytop ute, averages around 16 in town even with a light right foot. You win!
rex351, any traytop is about as aerodynamic as a duck flying backwards. You just can't get good economy from them.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove my AUii wagon from Brisbane to Townsville.

Averaged 9.5lt per 100km using cruise control 90% of the time and 110km/h

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

200km to tank is my bestest effort.. highway cycle..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would seem the vehicle is capable of much greater mileage.....

heading down to the south east shortly......I can feel a "challenge" in the offing

currently running 32 PSI all round.....I reckon I'll run that up to 35 (recommended 30 PSI)

Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
JimStone

1999 AU1.5 Fairmont Ghia VCT 150k on the clock - regularly saw over 800k open road; climate control on, cruise set at 108kph by the GPS.

2011 Mondeo Zetec Ecoboost best so far 920k under same conditions but still less than 10k on the clock so should improve.

1980 RS2000 with cam, large bore extractors, 2 1/4 exhaust, dual weber idfs, etc open road 500k with 3.54 diff, 400k with 3.89 diff - but with no cruise or A/C.

Last edited by JimStone; 12-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:

Hey, Poppa, I think you got your figures backwards, if you normally get 600km to a tank at 7 L/per 100 then you'd have a 54L tank, 500km @9L/per 100 would be a 45L tank. Don't BAs' have 68L tank? 600km from say 65L would be something like 10.2L/ per 100 give or take.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
it would seem the vehicle is capable of much greater mileage.....

heading down to the south east shortly......I can feel a "challenge" in the offing

currently running 32 PSI all round.....I reckon I'll run that up to 35 (recommended 30 PSI)
Pump your tyres up to 42 p.s.i. and cruise at 85 k.p.h. and you'll be amazed at the economy, if you can stand the boredom and annoyed motorists stuck behind you.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my figures vary greatly......I have seen these figures for short periods ( 7 - 9 even down to 5.6 ) but the only reliable constant I have is my trip meter between fills.....normally between 500 to 600 kilometres between fills

which I thought was average for these vehicles

the 700 is the best I have achieved yet but took very little notice of the onboard instant literage used.....obviously it can do better

as far as I know the BA tank is 68 ltrs but all of that would not be used

Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
Rodge
Banned

Low 7's was the best average I got on a trip with my XR6 and bored myself to a near death experience in the process
These cars stop a lot of wind and have never been very aerodynamic so it helps heaps if you're prepared to travel at 85-90 k.p.h.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm very surprised at the economy but I guess thats technology.....aerodynamics, fuel injection, lightweight materials all play their part but when all is said and done they are still a large vehicle

I must add that my fill up is almost always done when the gauge is showing somewhere between 1/4 and empty unless I'm about to make a trip

not sure if I'd be game to sit on 85 on the highway.......wife plus other motorists would have something to say about that

bad enough with the van on and i sit on 100......then I see the needle go down pretty rapidly usually around double the fuel and half the distance

Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

virtually every car is good on the highway

around town with the aircon on - now that's the decider
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
virtually every car is good on the highway

around town with the aircon on - now that's the decider
AU1.5 VCT = 500k

Mondeo Ecoboost = 750k

RS2000 = 350k (but no A/C)

No hypermiling, just regular driving with occasional squirt in the traffic, except for the RS which is generally pushed a little - just can't resist the sound of webers
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

my BA RTV 6 auto gets about 610 km on the highway at 105km/h with no cruise control.usually push to get 550km.just using regular unleaded.
my 98 AU VCT XR6 manual that i used to have pulled 900km from a tank going from tville to mt isa doing 110km/h using regular unleaded.(put 10 bucks in at cloncurry just to make sure id get into the isa lol)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was averaging 8l/100 in the G6E turbo on a trip from brissy to Grafton and associated areas and back. It was 2 up with a boot full of stuff and plenty of overtaking.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

5 spd el xr6 best was 740 kms and still had 6L left in the tank.
On the way from Sydney to Brisbane car had 191,000 kms on the clock.

I have got over 700 kms from the tank on highway a few times though...not bad I don't think.
Now got around 280,000 kms
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I can't beat Poppa's figures for long run mileage - haven't done a long run yet! I'm getting 7.7km/l or 12.9l/100 in a stock XH 6cyl auto ute on 95 around town with a very steady right foot. I'm really bloody happy with that! (figures based on 466km @ 60 litres) My math ain't too brilliant - I'm sure to be corrected if I'm wrong!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best we have got was 7.4litres per 100km going from Townsville to Cairns 4 people and a boot full of luggage bf xr6 6 speed zf
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post