Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Default What is the best method to rotate tyres.

What is the best methd to rotate radial non-directional wheels & Tyres?

I was always told to rotate these directly from front to back on the same side. I have since been told that this method has been changed and the experts found that it is better to change them as follows;

Fronts go straight back on the same side and the rears go diagonally across to the opposite front corner. but still rotated at 10,000k's. This is for non-directional tryes only.

Which is the better or correct method?

Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as far as i know there's not any "correct" method as such. In saying that usually it's straight from front to back, ie same side, or swap right rear, left front, etc...also depends if you also use the spare when rotating
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

No, I didn't include the spare. As a matter of fact, I have never included the spare in my tyre rotations, not for any particular reason though, but I actually don't even give it a thought...Bad me.
But I do check the air pressure in the spare on a monthly basis when I check all the other tyre pressures though.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Depends on if you have directional tyres or not. If they're not directional, you move the tyres diagonally across the car, so front left becomes right rear etc. If they are directional, then swap front to back on the same side. It's only worth including the spare in the rotation if you do it when all tyres are new.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
AU dude
Flying high...

I was told by a TAFE teacher to only rotate tyres on the same side as after a while the tyres canvas gets bedded in for that direction and if swapped to the other side upsets its balance.

AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have heard the same thing as well ... I have directional ... so I keep them on the same sides ... but the Territory I do the same as the ute ... front to back ... straight swap ... and they are not directional either.

Easier to do as well .... cos I am lazy.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
jcxr
Tribal Elder

As above. front to rear, dont change sides.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Thanks guys. It was my understanding as well, to swap the tyres front to rear on the same side and I was a bit sceptical when I was told to swap the rears diagonally to the front with the fronts coming straight back.

The trouble is that I don't get into a trye shop that often and things change in the meantime. I have only just clicked over 50,000k's in six years in my AUII and have only had to visit the tyre shop once for new tyres in that time.

I always rotate the tyres myself every 5,000k's, directly front to back, and get a wheel alignment from the suspension shop every 12months regardless of the mileage.

It's always good to pop into here to ask and get up to date advice. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippitydip
Thanks guys. It was my understanding as well, to swap the tyres front to rear on the same side and I was a bit sceptical when I was told to swap the rears diagonally to the front with the fronts coming straight back.

The trouble is that I don't get into a trye shop that often and things change in the meantime. I have only just clicked over 50,000k's in six years in my AUII and have only had to visit the tyre shop once for new tyres in that time.

I always rotate the tyres myself every 5,000k's, directly front to back, and get a wheel alignment from the suspension shop every 12months regardless of the mileage.

It's always good to pop into here to ask and get up to date advice. Thanks again.
I was wondering why anyone bothers swapping tyres anymore but now I see your problem. You aren't driving enough! LOL. I use about two sets a year, front and back generally wear out together so no need to rotate.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I was wondering why anyone bothers swapping tyres anymore but now I see your problem. You aren't driving enough! LOL. I use about two sets a year, front and back generally wear out together so no need to rotate.
But not everyone drives "spiritedly" enough to wear front and back at the same rate!

I still do diagonal rear to front, except for directional tyres which always just swap from the front to the back on the same side. If I find one tyre wearing on the inside or outside, I'll actually get them stripped and fitted to the rims on the other side to try and even out the wear.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
smally289
growing up is optional

From the Tyre Technology course I did through Ford Training, swap the driven wheels straight to the other end and the non driven wheels diagonally. Directional tyres excluded obviously.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

On a lighter note :Reverend: the official Cranny tyre tester says "rotate rears to bin and replace every 4 months" _2: :
Me personally only ever do front to rears same side directional or not ....

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippitydip
Fronts go straight back on the same side and the rears go diagonally across to the opposite front corner.
Thats what it says in my BA owners manual!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU dude
I was told by a TAFE teacher to only rotate tyres on the same side as after a while the tyres canvas gets bedded in for that direction and if swapped to the other side upsets its balance.
Agreed (again). On the original Bridgestone B530s on my SV8 I was rotating tyres front-to-rear every 10,000km (every service). Tyres lasted 70,000km and were only changed 'cos it went out of lease and I wanted a new set pre-tax dollars. The next set I didn't rotate until about 25,000km and when I changed front-to-rear the handling went to crap; so back they went and I just left them to wear down. So obviously the rears wore down first and I've just changed them at 50,000km. Good, but not as good as 70,000km (and at $360 each that hurts). My advice is that it you are going to rotate don't swap sides (regardless if directional or not) and rotate early and often ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #15
2Lucid

ive been told that if u can rotate the tyres every 5,000kms to keep the wear even and front to back with directionals and and opposite corneres with non direcitonals.. or u could try going round n round like a merry go round
2Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Lucid
ive been told that if u can rotate the tyres every 5,000kms to keep the wear even and front to back with directionals and and opposite corneres with non direcitonals.. or u could try going round n round like a merry go round

LOL that's the way my head is spinning at the moment. Thanks again everyone for the replies and advice, I've taken it all on board. :sm_headba