Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Default Electronic Overhead Road Signs

These big electronic signs are popping up all over the place. I find them useful when there is an "incident" (Crash, fog, traffic stopped ahead), they have flashing orange lights and the message flashes to get your attention BUT

The RTA rarely has static messages on them - any message always seems to flash and I reckon this is distracting.

On the F3 north of Sydney, traffic slows under the first one when it flashes, then speeds up once past it..fair dinkum, when it is off or just a static message, traffic flies on through at 120km/h.

I spoke to RTA about it and they were not interested but i reckon if it is not an 'incident' then the messages signs should be off or a simple static message so as not to distract drivers...

Thoughts? Does this happen in other states? Is it just me?

BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My only issue with these signs is they take too long to rotate a multiple screen message.

By the time you see it at 80m away doing 110, you only get half the message as it hangs on each screen for 7-8 seconds to display 3 words...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

nah you are right. happens everywhere in sydney. where there are flashing signs traffic always stamps on the brakes to read it. then speeds off. more of a hazard than something that is good for the road networks.
Old 16-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

RTA use the VM signs to advise vis:-

* KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING
* FOG LIGHTS OFF IN CLEAR CONDITIONS (and a similar other)
* WIPE 10KM/H OFF IN WET (and similar again).

I don't support general driving messages except per above. The F3 VMS units DO NOT have laser based (or other) fog sensors unlike the F6 VMS. RTA's TMC rely on phone messages and RTA traffic patrol to advise of conditions.

RTA Illawarra (F6) were in the bad habit in heavy fog of advising drivers to use the right lane. Apparently they felt the left lane AND emergency shoulder would be used by stopped vehicles.

Had a stop put to that practice.

The same office use to flash; - "IN FOG SLOW DOWN - HAZARD LIGHTS MAY BE USED - ON MOVING VEHICLES", this will change in the future, or may already apply vis;-

"IN FOG SLOW DOWN - REAR FOG LAMPS OR HAZARD LIGHTS MAY BE USED ON MOVING VEHICLES", the primary defence in heavy fog is the rear fog, not hazards.

They were in the habit of advising a speed of 70km/h in heavy fog. No legal basis for it AND I point out the danger in doing so, I reminded them Germany mandates 50km/h maximum in heavy fog on freeway.

Not paid full attention a few months to this.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 16-07-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

My Favorite ones are on the F6.

"Legal Speed 110"

(With an arrow that points to the offending car).

KeepLeft - where are the "Laser" Fog sensors on the F6? I haven't noticed them, and I drive the F6 frequently.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
My Favorite ones are on the F6.

"Legal Speed 110"

(With an arrow that points to the offending car).

KeepLeft - where are the "Laser" Fog sensors on the F6? I haven't noticed them, and I drive the F6 frequently.
Bulli for one, they are a seperate install to the sign, away from them. A more automated system.

Per "LEGAL SPEED 110KM/H" RTA use to show the actual speed, but of course folk would then try and get the highest speed.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
holmsy
Banned

there has been one installed in geelong not so long ago. but the only time iv ever seen anything on it was a test message and when the whole thing was lit up for no reason.
i just assumed they decided to waste some more money yet again.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Why can't they do this here? :P
(Mods remove if deemed inappropiate)

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Falchoon

I don't mind the signs if the info is about road conditions/closures or other relevant matters but it seems to be a trend lately that some shops hire these signs to advertise their sales. This should be banned IMO.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy
there has been one installed in geelong not so long ago. but the only time iv ever seen anything on it was a test message and when the whole thing was lit up for no reason.
i just assumed they decided to waste some more money yet again.
i believe this has been installed in preparation for the geelong ring road.....

it does display messages when there are incidents on the freeway, EG it displayed the Tunnel Closed warning when the crash in the tunnel occurred.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

we have a few popping up in Qld. i think theyre great for the purpose of incidents/accidents ahead. when the road is good they either show "report traffic incidents" with the phone number or they are off. doesnt seem to be too much problem so far, but the ones on the sunny coast are fairly new, so time will tell.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Why can't they do this here? :P
(Mods remove if deemed inappropiate)
He he he he.

We had one of those portable ones on Windsor Rd in the run up to the elections in March; it read "Steve Pringle for Windsor". Steve Pringle was the local independant member - I guess he wasn't well liked for Windsor Rd. Anyway, somebody then hacked into it and made it read; "Steve Pringle can suck my Dingle". Made the newspapers and 6pm news. Steve Pringle was non plussed by the situation, actually he was quite upset.

Quote: