Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 21-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #2011
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Out. A free country is not surveilled. If you want to live in a surveillance state move to China.
Umm you have Victorian Police were they will try convicting you on Facebook pics...then try to censor posting more.

Last edited by five 7; 21-04-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 21-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #2012
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct me if I'm wrong which is frequent but two very simplistic observations .

1. Testing ...Unless basically everybody gets tested soon the infection rates are always going to be somewhat of a guess and a paper figure aren't they given that some people can carry the virus and not even know they have had it in which time they could have passed it on however many times .

2. If pretty much every country is in massive debt over all this who is lending who money or is a hugely complicated combination of money , infrastructure shortfall and other factors .

Wouldn't it be great if every major country went to their respective treasuries got some paper and ran off a few trillion each to pay each other off..

Sorry , on that I couldn't help myself ...That said in jest , I think Roosevelt pretty much did that to some degree during the Great Depression. I know they created heaps of jobs that never existed before such as building the Hoover Dam and Interstate Highways etc.. at least to drive the economy like stimulus packages here and there in different places have done since , not least here .

Time for work for me right now...

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-04-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 21-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #2013
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
And so onto the Govmint App.

Are we in or out?
In. And whats-more, I'd make it a mandatory update for Apple and Android operating systems that your phone must take now or cease working.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #2014
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
In. And whats-more, I'd make it a mandatory update for Apple and Android operating systems that your phone must take now or cease working.
Old 21-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #2015
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Exactly how is the Government supposed to help us with one hand tied behind its back?
Old 21-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #2016
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
1% alcyhole = 2 proof. So,
100% ethanol = 200 proof.

And how do I know? By paying attention in science class. And many other sources over time keep confirming this.

And it's not useless info, for instance, when you hear or see something (or someone) mention 80% proof, use the percentage, not the proof. It could save you from making a life-altering mistake.
And now I digress...
Off topic, but all explained here.

Only (minor) correction to your posts Marty is that in the US it is twice the ABV value, but traditionally it was equivalent to about 1.8 times the ABV value.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #2017
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I knew that old Nokia we all have lying about would come in handy

Also anti-vaxxers doing letterbox drops:

https://amp.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...mpression=true

Quote:
The document, seen by the Herald, said COVID-19 was just a mild seasonal cold and was being exaggerated as part of a conspiracy to remove social freedoms and introduce forced vaccinations.

The document alleges that a cast of villains, including Bill Gates, Rupert Murdoch, Lucy Turnbull, the World Health Organisation, the World Bank and Big Pharma, had a secret agenda that would culminate in hiding identifying nanoparticles in the vaccine to exert global domination.

Conspiracy theories are also being propagated online, varying from claims that the virus is mild to it being manufactured or caused by 5G mobile networks.
5 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #2018
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Exactly how is the Government supposed to help us with one hand tied behind its back?
I'm amused as to where the concept that Government was here to help us actually comes from?

Anyway. In better news we only had 7 new cases yesterday and no deaths so the CMR improved slightly to 1.073% -

Likewise for NZ with no deaths and 9 new cases, the CMR improved to 0.833%.

The UK CMR also improved to 13.234% but the US CMR worsened to 5.359%. There isn't much sign of the infection rate improving either..

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 21-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #2019
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm amused as to where the concept that Government was here to help us actually comes from?
Well of course they are, just ask them!
Old 21-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #2020
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Out. A free country is not surveilled. If you want to live in a surveillance state move to China.
My grandmother was half Chinese you dumb ugly racist Ford nut.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #2021
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
This is what happens when we have been brainwashed by foreign organisations like newscorp. The illusion of free....

You don't reckon the US have surveillance? Who has more of if their citizens in jail than any other country per capita?
I live in the UK for a while, they have the most concentrated use of CCTV than any other country. Its just fortunate there are so many other people of interest ahead of you

In or out it doesn't matter, it'll soon be inbuilt into Android and Apple os anyhow, and over time it will just become a default to have it on. How ironic, maybe we need Huawei phones to bypass surveillance
This is what happens when the population vote for successive governments of both persuasions who've no regard for people's rights.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #2022
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
My grandmother was half Chinese you dumb ugly racist Ford nut.
Left or right?
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #2023
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Also anti-vaxxers doing letterbox drops:

https://amp.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...mpression=true
Old 21-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #2024
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Left or right?
Top or bottom?
Old 21-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #2025
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...g-tracing-app/

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/unca...th-his-mobile/

Last edited by hayseed; 21-04-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 21-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #2026
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I’m in.... Where do I get the app?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #2027
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Right this way good sir, I just need the 16 digits on the front of your credit card and the expiry date if you please
Old 21-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #2028
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Off topic, but all explained here.

Only (minor) correction to your posts Marty is that in the US it is twice the ABV value, but traditionally it was equivalent to about 1.8 times the ABV value.
That is actually quite interesting. I just don't have any gunpowder...
Old 21-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #2029
superyob
Banned

Quote:
I would happily throw my phone away...
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #2030
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Best and cheapest handwash is the good ole 91ULP. $1.20-$1.30 litre.works better than any alcohol based stuff
Till the chemicals give you cancer
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #2031
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I would happily throw my phone away...
In that case... Can I have it? Is it late-model?
4 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #2032
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

One last set of stats for today based on the obvious question of are we winning the war against this pandemic.

The only real measure we have of that is the new infection rates and we saw that the polynomial trend line for Australia (above) has about the sort of curve you'd expect with a gentle ramp up followed by a downward curve.

If I might digress for a moment. For those who don't know, polynomial trend lines are used to smooth out bumps in data sets that can be caused by inconsistent data or weekday vs weekend trends (for example) and they can be 'ordered' to indicate the maximum number of fluctuations or bends that occur on the line. The ones we have been using up to now are 2nd order polynomial trendlines which generally only have one hill or valley.

I've chosen a number of countries that have had high case rates and plotted their polynomial trendlines below:

You ideally want to see something like Italy (red) where the downward curve is a bit steeper than say Iran (yellow) but you definitely don't want to see any that are still on the upward trend like the UK and Turkey.

The third order polynomial doesn't show anything much different except it does highlight the impact the measures Germany took (albeit later than they probably should have) has had with a steeper decline than other countries have experienced.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #2033
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

https://news.usc.edu/168987/antibody...ngeles-county/
Old 21-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #2034
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
One last set of stats for today based on the obvious question of are we winning the war against this pandemic.

The only real measure we have of that is the new infection rates and we saw that the polynomial trend line for Australia (above) has about the sort of curve you'd expect with a gentle ramp up followed by a downward curve.

If I might digress for a moment. For those who don't know, polynomial trend lines are used to smooth out bumps in data sets that can be caused by inconsistent data or weekday vs weekend trends (for example) and they can be 'ordered' to indicate the maximum number of fluctuations or bends that occur on the line. The ones we have been using up to now are 2nd order polynomial trendlines which generally only have one hill or valley.

I've chosen a number of countries that have had high case rates and plotted their polynomial trendlines below:

You ideally want to see something like Italy (red) where the downward curve is a bit steeper than say Iran (yellow) but you definitely don't want to see any that are still on the upward trend like the UK and Turkey.

The third order polynomial doesn't show anything much different except it does highlight the impact the measures Germany took (albeit later than they probably should have) has had with a steeper decline than other countries have experienced.

Do you work for the BOM Russellw?
Old 21-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #2035
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Interesting to consider whether the high mortality rate in the US includes a disproportionate number of people with strongly Spanish genetic material.
Old 21-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #2036
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Do you work for the BOM Russellw?
ABS would be more appropriate...

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 21-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #2037
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I dunno if the idea will float but if we get a second wave then all bets are off.

The problem with social media and us blokes on here is that we all talk about stuff we know nufink about just to big note ourselves.

Remember the My Health kerfuffle and all the outrage over privacy concerns about our health information? Gee what I'd give to see Franco's file.

It seems 90% of the population are in.

Now to this App.

According to those propella heads at govmint the App collates data via bluetooth when phones come close to each other and it retains the data for three weeks.

The idea is that if you get the WuFlu then govmint can contact all people who got close to you whether you rooted them or not. Maybe that's why Barnaby is against it.

If we get a decent second wave then the App will be in, in except for those who want to opt out, just like My Health.
Old 21-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #2038
superyob
Banned

Quote:
I dunno if the idea will float but if we get a second wave then all bets are off.

The problem with social media and us blokes on here is that we all talk about stuff we know nufink about just to big note ourselves.

Remember the My Health kerfuffle and all the outrage over privacy concerns about our health information? Gee what I'd give to see Franco's file.

Now to this App.

According to those propella heads at govmint the App collates data via bluetooth when phones come close to each other and it retains the data for three weeks.

The idea is that if you get the WuFlu then govmint can contact all people who got close to you whether you rooted them or not. Maybe that's why Barnaby is against it.

If we get a decent second wave then the App will be in, in except for those who want to opt out, just like My Health.
Remember, you cannot un-see what you have seen...
Old 21-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #2039
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

Now to this App.

For those worried about data collected you currently share more information about yourself if you have:-

- A mobile phone with any app that shares location data
- Any loyalty program
- A free email account like gmail etc
- A credit or debit card
- Ebay or Amazon etc
- Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter
- Probably Uber.

Except in these cases you are sharing your information with private companies who onsell this information to other private companies and build up profiles on you.

https://www.wired.com/story/foursqua...where-you-are/

The government is asking you to help out with download an app that does 1/100th of what you already freely giveaway now.

And you can delete the app anytime.
Old 21-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #2040
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Speak for yourself...

russelw's graphs are really basic data analysis (not to trivialise them, I'm really grateful for him doing it for me). These data sets are easy. I used to work for the csiro and you'd feint if you saw the mud I had to try and pull trends out of.

Unfortunately the general population have learned not to trust data analysis because it can be driven in any direction you want if you have an agenda. Witness road safety and both sides of global warming....and this virus thing

If it's done properly, which has to include a transparent analysis and access he the raw data, it can be extremely useful. russelw has been doing a really good job of distilling the information into easily understood form. Small round of applause...
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread