Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2024, 02:34 PM   #2611
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Annoying isnt it.

And he thinks you did the wrong thing.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 03:12 PM   #2612
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Why is it you can be driving along with a heap of cars in the left lane at the speed limit with cars in front of you with a not quite car length gap, but there is a gap of 10 cars or more behind you to the next car along, then some retaded dumb loser will speed up the right lane to beside you and want to be let in so they can use the turning lane coming up?

Plenty of room to slot in behind, but no they want to gain 1 car length and **** you off by pushing in then turning, the mind boggles at the way some people think.

I just maintained my speed and he had to slot in behind where there was still 10 car lengths to the next car, he then honks his horn and gives me the finger?
Had similar few months back,coming up to roadworks, signs saying left lane closed.ahead D*** came hooting up on the left and passed about 20 of us.Guess what,not one person would let him in.He was still sitting (probably getting crankier) when I went past him.Dunno how many others kept him out,but he didn’t beat me or any of the others in front of me.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 10:52 PM   #2613
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is it you can be driving along with a heap of cars in the left lane at the speed limit with cars in front of you with a not quite car length gap, but there is a gap of 10 cars or more behind you to the next car along, then some retaded dumb loser will speed up the right lane to beside you and want to be let in so they can use the turning lane coming up?

Plenty of room to slot in behind, but no they want to gain 1 car length and **** you off by pushing in then turning, the mind boggles at the way some people think.

I just maintained my speed and he had to slot in behind where there was still 10 car lengths to the next car, he then honks his horn and gives me the finger?
Happens all the time on the Kwinana Freeway - does my bloody head in.... And the amount of people that chop and change lanes in peak hour..... Just pick a lane and stay in it FFS.

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 11:15 AM   #2614
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Why the **** is it that so often when someone has a problem or is just asking advice on a particular subject, there is ALWAYS at least one person who chimes in with information thats as incorrect as saying that Kaitlin Jenner is a biological woman?
Old 14-03-2024, 07:22 PM   #2615
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Why the **** is it that so often when someone has a problem or is just asking advice on a particular subject, there is ALWAYS at least one person who chimes in with information thats as incorrect as saying that Kaitlin Jenner is a biological woman?
I should have known better to reply, but I just couldn't help myself. A Facebook post popped up on my feed, one made by a VERY patriotic Aussie claiming that the SOHC 3V 5.4 V8 used in the BA and BF Falcon was FULLY made in Australia because Ford called it a Barra, as in Barra 220 and Barra 230.

I went to the trouble to say that it was actually a crate engine from Canada, but did have Australian input on the inlet and exhaust manifold designs to suit the Falcon application. But no, he swore black and blue that the engines were made in Geelong because of the Barra name.

I gave up in the end. But I had to wonder, why on earth would someone go to the trouble being sooo wrong, that somehow you couldn't spend maybe 2 minutes searching for clarification before continuing to dig yourself into a deeper hole. For some reason it's easier to continue to be wrong than gracefully accept you had made the wrong call.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 07:43 PM   #2616
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

There is a lot of people out there that have the one opinion and nothing will change their mind.

I heard at the pub once, so therfore is written in stone.

prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 07:50 PM   #2617
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I should have known better to reply, but I just couldn't help myself. A Facebook post popped up on my feed, one made by a VERY patriotic Aussie claiming that the SOHC 3V 5.4 V8 used in the BA and BF Falcon was FULLY made in Australia because Ford called it a Barra, as in Barra 220 and Barra 230.

I went to the trouble to say that it was actually a crate engine from Canada, but did have Australian input on the inlet and exhaust manifold designs to suit the Falcon application. But no, he swore black and blue that the engines were made in Geelong because of the Barra name.

I gave up in the end. But I had to wonder, why on earth would someone go to the trouble being sooo wrong, that somehow you couldn't spend maybe 2 minutes searching for clarification before continuing to dig yourself into a deeper hole. For some reason it's easier to continue to be wrong than gracefully accept you had made the wrong call.

That sums up society today.
There are no truths. There is only Your Reality. Your reality may be different to other person’s reality. It’s the decline of civilization if you ask me.
A coupe can now be a five door hatchback. Thanks Mercedes.
Woman of the year has a c o c k.
2+2=4 is racist because you’re failing to account for other peoples reality.
I could go on all night.
Right or wrong doesn’t matter as the most aggressive or loudest group will win.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 09:59 PM   #2618
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

QUOTE FUNCTION NOT WORKING AGAIN!

And that is why these people no longer want to have civil,rational discussions. They either talk over the top of you, yell, scream or try to silence you.

I watch police body cam videos on youtube and it is concerning to see these people in action.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 10:03 PM   #2619
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it when recent generations of children were told they could be whatever they want to be that a significant amount chose to be obnoxious, entitled prats?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 10:45 PM   #2620
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it when recent generations of children were told they could be whatever they want to be that a significant amount chose to be obnoxious, entitled prats?
Why do say recent generation when in fact has always been every generation?
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 03:52 PM   #2621
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Halfwits - trying to snipe an online auction that automatically extends 90 seconds with every last-moment bid. You’d think that well before the thirty minute mark was reached, one or the other would have lobbed an overarching bid.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 04:55 PM   #2622
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

If its the auction I am thinking of, they have a feature called bid agent, you can set your maximum bid and it will bid in $25 increments to your maximum amount without you worrying about it, you can come back later and see if you were succesfull after the auction has closed off.

Were you the sniper or the snipee
Old 15-03-2024, 05:21 PM   #2623
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Smile Re: Why is it.................?

Neither - but you’ve probably explained it.

Why do they not just allow you to lob in a max bid, if you get pipped then either you’re paying the idiot tax for being too tight, or someone with deeper pockets is willing to gamble more than yourself?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2024, 05:39 PM   #2624
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Why do they not just allow you to lob in a max bid, if you get pipped then either you’re paying the idiot tax for being too tight, or someone with deeper pockets is willing to gamble more than yourself?
Its like most auctions before the fall of the hammer with the count down, if someone comes in with a late bid just before the hammer fall, they go through the countdown again, there are not too many online auctions that finish when it times out like eBay.
Old 15-03-2024, 10:26 PM   #2625
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

You do put in a max bid, but the other bidders don't know what it is, until their bid exceeds your max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
Its like most auctions before the fall of the hammer with the count down, if someone comes in with a late bid just before the hammer fall, they go through the countdown again, there are not too many online auctions that finish when it times out like eBay.
You're right, but I like the way the ebay auction works.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 02:55 AM   #2626
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
You're right, but I like the way the ebay auction works.
eBay used to be great, I used to use a software called bid slayer, I would set my max to bid to bid the next $ increment at 5 seconds to go, then go off to work, come home to a won auction without paying for it with a bidding war 99% of the time.

It sucks now, not to many auctions anymore, mostly business sellers with the odd occasional seller thinking they have the holy grail item.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 10:54 AM   #2627
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
eBay used to be great, I used to use a software called bid slayer, I would set my max to bid to bid the next $ increment at 5 seconds to go, then go off to work, come home to a won auction without paying for it with a bidding war 99% of the time.

It sucks now, not to many auctions anymore, mostly business sellers with the odd occasional seller thinking they have the holy grail item.
Why is it Google is also not what it used to be?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides

Last edited by Syndrome; 16-03-2024 at 11:11 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #2628
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Probably the reason why you don't see many auctions on Ebay, I refuse to bid online auctions anymore as being outbid by software, I now prefer actual sale prices with offers to vendors.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2024, 11:51 AM   #2629
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Probably the reason why you don't see many auctions on Ebay, I refuse to bid online auctions anymore as being outbid by software, I now prefer actual sale prices with offers to vendors.
eBay's fee and payment structure is to blame for eBay being the way it is, definitely not worth it if you are a part time seller, great for buyers now with thousands of sellers competing price wise for the same items, still a lot of cheap crap sold with pictures of decent stuff, so you still have to do your homework.

All the software does is bid for you, you put in the max you are prepared to pay, it will not bid until the set time you want it to, it will keep bidding to your maximum, no different than me getting on the computer bidding at a set time to my maximum, or going to a auction with more money in my pocket than the next guy with a higher price in mind, it just gives you the freedom of not having to keep a eye on the time, you are still bidding.

I used to use the software because the items I was after either finished at different times of the day or were at the same or similar times, the bonus was that it stopped you bidding for the sake of bidding.

Bid agent is a different animal altogether, it bids the next increment each time someone else bids, so if you set it at the start it will bid away each time someone bids over you, I usually set this in the last 10 minutes and go off and do something.

I more often than not buy from online auctions every week, If I can make a $ on something, I have no problem bidding to the max I want to pay, I don't go into the auction hype and get caught up in a bidding war.

The problem for most people as they don't do their research before the auction and end up paying too much because they get caught up with winning, you always see a lot of cars go for way more than what they are worth just because someone has to have it, but the same cars sell for less on Gumtree, Facebook etc, they could have just bought one without the hype.

Its good when you can find a vendor who has the item you are looking for at a reasonable price and one that will haggle, but I am finding more people think they have the one and only item in existence and want drug money for it and wont budge.
Old 16-03-2024, 11:55 AM   #2630
roKWiz
Cabover nut

ebay was great once. Bought 2 trucks sight unseen off of it.
Both last second bids.
Very rarely look at it these days.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2024, 12:13 AM   #2631
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it there are so many videos on YouTube showing burning Lamborghinis?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 17-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #2632
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Why is it that nearly every video on youtube now has subtitles built in... And that they are invariably wrong?
I just want to watch a video and also have the ability to use my ears.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2024, 10:47 AM   #2633
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351 View Post
Why is it that nearly every video on youtube now has subtitles built in... And that they are invariably wrong?
Why is it when I watch a movie I need the subtitles because I can't hear what's being said?
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2024, 10:55 AM   #2634
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Why is it when I watch a movie I need the subtitles because I can't hear what's being said?
Modern TVs have very poor tiny speakers. To get clear audio you need to spend a small fortune on a good sound system.
5 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2024, 10:57 AM   #2635
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you mean built in, as in you can't turn the subtitles off by clicking the subtitle button?
Old 17-03-2024, 11:41 AM   #2636
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

Click the little square cc box. You have turned them on. Default is off.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2024, 11:59 AM   #2637
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Modern TVs have very poor tiny speakers. To get clear audio you need to spend a small fortune on a good sound system.
Some of the places we've housesat have these giant 10ft ish TV's and long soundbars. The sound sounds so muffled.
There is one so bad, we turn the soundbar off so you can hear what they are saying over the background music/explosion/car chase etc.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2024, 12:36 PM   #2638
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most movies are mixed for 5.1 and up. Those systems have a dedicated centre for dialogue, but even then, you have to adjust the mix to bring its level up. I have rips that are easy to listen to via headphones, but as soon as you play them through the HT setup, the effects and music just drowns everything else out, unless you bump up the centre level.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2024, 06:22 PM   #2639
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

No, not the closed caption subtitles that you have to enable, that would mean every video would have captions. It is just a majority that seem to have pre-rendered subtitles in the video itself... I guess it's to benefit people who can't understand anything but an American accent.... But it upsets my OCD no end... Particularly when it does not accurately represent the words spoken.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2024, 09:49 PM   #2640
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Most movies are mixed for 5.1 and up. Those systems have a dedicated centre for dialogue, but even then, you have to adjust the mix to bring its level up. I have rips that are easy to listen to via headphones, but as soon as you play them through the HT setup, the effects and music just drowns everything else out, unless you bump up the centre level.
That explains it, I’ve just rewatched breaking bad on blu ray, whole scenes of whisper talking that I can’t hear, cut to high energy action= ear drums blown out.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz