Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Does lower ford sales + GEC = no GTHO

The four most famous letters in the Australian performance world, (GTHO) have been bandied on more than a few occasions since FPV were formed in 2002. Last I read some time ago, was that it was gonna be a ‘track day special’ that the EVO and WRX would not be able to beat. Then there was talk of different engine configurations, including of course, very early in the FPV history, that ‘V10’ that was bandied about. The Hurricane?
Do you guys think that the current GEC, combined with Ford Australias own problems, (can they be separated?) will mean that those letters may never appear again?
i recon that if ford did a ‘dress up’ anniversary GTHO special, with a few commemorative labels stuck on the sides including the superoo sticker, that it would be a shame.
In the current economic climate, does FPV have the balls and resources to produce a GTHO ‘track day special’, that cant be beaten? If they cant or wont, would you buy a stickers and fancy wheels GTHO ‘anniversary special’?

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Holden did it wit the W427... cant see why they cant do it with the GTHO... hell even cobras sold out and they were a limeted run.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

GTHO twin turbo V10OMGBBQWWTF

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it would be far to say Holden has a few more dollars lying around .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

hahahaha!!..omg..bbq..wtf classic falcon coupe..classic!!!!
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
GTP290

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I think it would be far to say Holden has a few more dollars lying around .
How the hell did you come to that assumption? Last I heard Ford rejected a handout from the US government, while GM took it with both hands, at a local level theres no corporate stand at the Clipsal 500 for Holden while Ford have still got theres, not to mention Holden pulling out funding to some of the V8 supercar teams.
When Ford done this a few months ago they nearly got castrated by the media, Holden do the same thing and not a negative comment by anyone! Youve got to give it to Ford for copping and absorbing a lot of crap, yet they always pull through with the goods!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
How the hell did you come to that assumption? Last I heard Ford rejected a handout from the US government, while GM took it with both hands, at a local level theres no corporate stand at the Clipsal 500 for Holden while Ford have still got theres, not to mention Holden pulling out funding to some of the V8 supercar teams.
When Ford done this a few months ago they nearly got castrated by the media, Holden do the same thing and not a negative comment by anyone! Youve got to give it to Ford for copping and absorbing a lot of crap, yet they always pull through with the goods!

Granted its a guess .
Forget GM forget Ford U.S
Holden have a higher sales volume and have for the last decade.
More sales = more service , more parts more mechandice if holden dont have more cash then ford somthing is terribly wrong with there admin.
Even if there not more spare cash lying around they have a larger networth .
There they could lend more .
Put that with the fact that they are starting to build a new 4 cylinder platform with the goverment contract to buy from them . There laughing

An you said it youself ford pull out of everything first . What does that tell you Holden can stand to lose a bit more before it starts to hurt

Last edited by snappy84; 07-02-2009 at 10:54 PM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
A Cobra was a sticker pack with some upgrades piggy backed off the FG program.

A GTHO is an investment too far for a car that is declining in sales year by year.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I would say with the way the big three are tightening their belts a GTHO is unlikely. Remember the W427 was signed off on financially long before the recession really took bite.

Holdens key advantage over Ford AU is in their exports, like others have said a larger market to spread the R&D costs.

In my opinion we do not have a hope of seeing a GTHO in the next couple of years but hopefully in the future.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I would say with the way the big three are tightening their belts a GTHO is unlikely. Remember the W427 was signed off on financially long before the recession really took bite.

Holdens key advantage over Ford AU is in their exports, like others have said a larger market to spread the R&D costs.

In my opinion we do not have a hope of seeing a GTHO in the next couple of years but hopefully in the future.

When would be a better time then now? GM is in the news for all the wrong reasons. They don't have the funds to pull a rabbit out thier $%^& like they did at the launch of the FG. Lay the boot in I say, in Australia, times are tuff, but like australians Holdens are tuffer.

They can easily put the G6E style interior into a GT (no R&D and they already have the gear), throw in a mustang GT 500 Supercharger (little R&D as its already being done by the aftermarketeers and is an inhouse purchase) . Give it a suspension overhaul and a V8 Supercar style body kit.

It would be the most powerful australian factory built car ever!

IT CANT BE THAT HARD. Make them to order at less than $100,000 a throw. If the economy is that bad FPV must have the spare bods to do the work and would surely love the extra business let alone a chance to smash holden with a V8 even if it's SC.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
XR8putts

Do you even know that Holden/HSV has had to cut the production number of the exclusive, limited-run W427 by half because no one wants it?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V10OMGBBQWWTF

I know its gonna be a PASTING about repetitive topics, but exactly what does this stand for word for word? (include the swearing if you can)

I think that FORD owes it to the high performance fans to do what its heritage has proved it can do. maybe the fact that the turbo 6 can get around a track quicker than the 8 (weight/power both?) is the problem. it will mean that the best reincarnation of the GTHO name, based on current technology and engines available, is a turbo 6 and that will upset the diehard GTHO fans that insist it must be an 8.

would you buy a Turbo6 GTHO, if it was a true track day winner?
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Do you even know that Holden/HSV has had to cut the production number of the exclusive, limited-run W427 by half because no one wants it?
That's right - reduced from 427 to 200. And even then they have not all sold!
That would be the answer to the question of the thread - no way in these times will the gtho be built.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
prydey
Rob

If ford have any sense at all, the GTHO nameplate should NEVER be resurrected. it will only detract from a very important part of australian automotive history.

even if ford had money to burn, it should be left alone. holden built a w427. big engine, race suspension etc etc and ended up with a $150k+ pricetag. the first thing everyone wanted to know was the straightline figures and once they started to appear it was only a small margin quicker than the hsv/fpv quickies and even the ss/g6et have posted times on paper that are not worlds apart. would anyone really like to see ford pour their money into a 'supercar' project and deliver a car that can't justify itself. it could be the best handling, best driving car on the planet but it seems all people care about sometimes is 1/4 mile times.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
V10OMGBBQWWTF

I know its gonna be a PASTING about repetitive topics, but exactly what does this stand for word for word? (include the swearing if you can)

I think that FORD owes it to the high performance fans to do what its heritage has proved it can do. maybe the fact that the turbo 6 can get around a track quicker than the 8 (weight/power both?) is the problem. it will mean that the best reincarnation of the GTHO name, based on current technology and engines available, is a turbo 6 and that will upset the diehard GTHO fans that insist it must be an 8.

would you buy a Turbo6 GTHO, if it was a true track day winner?
V10, Oh My God, Barbeque with What the Fu^$
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I think we'll be lucky to see a continued V8 program..........period !!!!

Too much media bagging along with the GEC and coupled with renewed vigorous Environmental concerns + slow sales...........a V8 of any sort for a mainstream company like FORD is coming to an end.

That doesn't mean that it might not invest some $$ in other platforms to mainatain its high performance division..........Hot hatches and Hot sixes are clearly the way forward as they will be based on the volume sellers and it makes economic sense to capitalise on your projected future sellers.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I think we'll be lucky to see a continued V8 program..........period !!!!

Too much media bagging along with the GEC and coupled with renewed vigorous Environmental concerns + slow sales...........a V8 of any sort for a mainstream company like FORD is coming to an end.

That doesn't mean that it might not invest some $$ in other platforms to mainatain its high performance division..........Hot hatches and Hot sixes are clearly the way forward as they will be based on the volume sellers and it makes economic sense to capitalise on your projected future sellers.
Ford know the V8 is essential, both here and in the US. It won't be dropped anytime soon thats for sure, especially with the adding of direct injection which lower emissions by upto 25%, and economy by upto 10%. DI V8's are on Fords agenda to keep them relevent.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford know the V8 is essential, both here and in the US. It won't be dropped anytime soon thats for sure, especially with the adding of direct injection which lower emissions by upto 25%, and economy by upto 10%. DI V8's are on Fords agenda to keep them relevent.
Common Rail Direct Injection, accompanied with twin turbo's slurping diesel fuel would be very good. Massive amounts of power and torque is easily achievable.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

i don't think a GTHO was really going to happen anyway...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be a let down like most of FPVs products
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Let me clarify...........It may be on FORD's possible agenda..........but it is becoming eminently obvious that it is not on the buying public's agenda.

It has also been touted by both major AU political parties that there may also be additional emissions and consumption penalties on large engined vehicles in the future which would make registration and running costs even more ridiculous than they are now.

Ford have dropped the V8 program before in similar circumstances and they won't hesitate to do it again............especially this time since they have a recognised performance alternative..........they have nothing to lose this time.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we may be looking at the death throws of the AU FORD V8 program in the next 5 years.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
It has also been touted by both major AU political parties that there may also be additional emissions and consumption penalties on large engined vehicles in the future which would make registration and running costs even more ridiculous than they are now.
And the reason for this is.....the perceived higher fuel consumption and running costs of these large capacity engine.

Should Ford decide to continue with a V8 program they must introduce engines that are cleaner, more fuel efficient, lighter and make power the market expects. Ford is in a great position to do this; it's competitor develops engines that are becoming bigger and bigger in size and lack the technology of Ford's upcoming engines.

A significant improvement in engine technology is the only way a Au Ford V8 will survive.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit

A significant improvement in engine technology is the only way a Au Ford V8 will survive.
Spot on !............my point exactly.

I just don't think that FORD AU beancounters will allow the investment in the first place..........there just won't be the return to justify it. FPV have enough momentum with the F6 and possibly other smaller engine projects in the pipeline to survive against HSV.

If so.....in the short term anyways....what we'll end up with is similar to what GM have done with DOD for the 8.........slightly better fuel economy ( debatable anyways ) to appease the societal conscience...BUT.. with a DECREASE in power and TORQUE...........it will be the cheap and nasty way to do it.

YUK !!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
It would be a let down like most of FPVs products
You obviously have not owned any......
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

upon seeing this thread, i thought a good ressurection would be a twin turbo'd inline 6 (think supra, skyline GTR ?) with a lighter shell and decent brakes/suspension. that'd certainly blow the doors off everything else out there. 1/4 mile times in the 12's and thats plenty.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
upon seeing this thread, i thought a good ressurection would be a twin turbo'd inline 6 (think supra, skyline GTR ?) with a lighter shell and decent brakes/suspension. that'd certainly blow the doors off everything else out there. 1/4 mile times in the 12's and thats plenty.
1/4 mile times are already nearing that from standard cars. plenty of 6cyl turbo models in the fg range can do low 13's off the factory floor and there was a g6et owned by someone on here that did a 12.89.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #28
Hoops
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
You obviously have not owned any......
I was going to say the same.

I hope there is a GTHO released however i cant see it happening in the near future
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

well in that case make it 11's
something that can comprehensivly beat the W427 as well as anything else currently available with a very mean look and awesome handling, is what is needed. if the money is there, that is
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #30
Hoops
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
I doubt that engine combo would go down very well with the die hards
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post