Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Vehicle Suggestions

So, selling the XR6 and buying a new (second hand) car.

Been looking at a particular skyline, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts. And really just want to see what else is out there.

Few conditions:

- NOT a Ford or Holden
- Either a 4 or 6
- Turbocharged or Supercharged
- Looking at spending around 12-16g

Had a look at a few Audi A4 1.8T Quattros...They seem like a nice car...but 150hp in std form isn't much chop.

Saw a nice VW Golf on unique carsales...turbocharged, 206fwkw @ 16psi. Tidy little car.

So Really I'm looking at stuff that is a little different.

Let the suggestions roll in! And if you come in here telling me to buy a Ford or Holden, I won't reply to you.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was looking at a NA 4 door R34 before I bought my Fiesta (R34 sold on me 2 days before my test drive). They're alright cars on the inside but if you were looking at NA, they're slow unfortunately.

Have you thought about JZA80 Toyota Supra? 1993 onwards, especially the one with the 2JZGTE inline 6 (twin turbo), factory specs put it at 5.1 seconds to 100km/h (when new). Lots of performance potential too with all the mods there are out for them. The 80s and 90s seemed to be when Toyota wasn't just the whitegoods supplier of the auto industry.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

S15 200SX - however these cars have experienced excellent resale, could be worth over $16,000 still despite production ending in 05 (IIRC)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Toyota JZX100 Chaser
Nissan S14/15 200SX
Nissan R33 GTS-T Skyline
Mistubishi Galant VR4
Mazda RX7

Jaguar XJR (Fast but not sporty)
BMW 3 or 5 Series (not turbo but the right big 6 will move)
Mercedes C36 AMG (now these aint turbo, but are super cool, think early M3 killer and into the mid teens pricewise now)

Personally if i had those criteria id be real tempted by either the Chaser or the Merc. Chaser has the grunt, and the Merc is just plain cool.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
S15 200SX - however these cars have experienced excellent resale, could be worth over $16,000 still despite production ending in 05 (IIRC)
I was looking at an S15 Silvia Autech, they were still fetching $22,000+, those are the 147Kw NA versions though, same amount of power as the aussie delivered turbo S15 "200SX".

You won't get one for $16,000 I'm guessing, maybe an S14.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Yeah I'd be hard pressed getting an S15 for that much. But...they don't really appeal to me anyway.

Chasers are a pretty nice car...What about a Toyota Aristo with a 2JZ?

Looked at a couple of older model RX7s as well...

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 20-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

You're mad. Not Ford or Holden you say - then IMO you aren't even considering the best two options. Keep the XR6 - nothing else you mentioned is worth the hassle of ownership.

Sure they look like fun on paper. But talk to some owners and see what sort of dramas you have with "exotics".

Anyhow, turbo or supercharged in Cairns is not a good mix. I'd stick with a naturally aspirated big 6 or an 8. Plenty of Clubsports and T-Series about for the kind of money you have and they won't cost you an arm and leg to keep going.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

E30 BMW + LS1 = skids

Or a Gixxer.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Paddyboy

what about a nissan pulsar Gti-r? all wheel drive, around mid 13 1/4 standard, you can get a good one for 15k.
Old 20-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
what about a nissan pulsar Gti-r? all wheel drive, around mid 13 1/4 standard, you can get a good one for 15k.
No way! Hate the bloody things hahaha.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 20-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R32 GTR? A mate just sold one for $15k
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

To be honest, I reckon it's a bit rich asking a Ford Forum what your next car should be if you don't want to be told to buy a Ford.

Sign up here and ask the same question, you'll actually be given (slightly less) unbiased opinions, especially if you don't want a Ford or Holden.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

A good 180sx can be had for that money. Provided it isn't hammered
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get good, converted 80's and early 90's corvettes and camaros for that money now. My old man sold an IROC-Z camaro in showroom condition converter with the big v8 for $12,000 not too long ago. They get plenty of looks and sound lethal. Corvettes handle well but the rest of them are only good on the straights. Trans am's are nice but every one Ive seen (you want around a 89 or 90 one) has bad paint issues and is full of squeeks and rattles. They are an awesome car though.

Id be buying one of them, dont be like the rest of the tools with the droney yucky 10 inch exhaust pipes and big chromies, its gay. American muscle is awesome. Good investment too, good cars are getting rarer on USA ebay now. Theres a few guys on the gold coast and some in melbourne who advertise in Just Cars all the time with things like this.

I know they arent supercharged or turbocharged (most of them) but if you want something very very fast, very very very fun and awesome looking thats your best bet for that sort of coin. And unless its panel damage, most bits are easy to find, especially since the corvettes have the LS1 I think.

Oh yeah, as for mustangs, you're only gonna get the all too common 60's shape for that sort of money, so dont bother. Every ******* and his dog has a bloody 60's mustang now.

I would agree though that your XR6 is the best overall than the rest of the suggestions. Imports are great until they break. Dont miind the idea of a new golf though, I think they look OK

Last edited by Jack91; 20-11-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
AdzT3-146
own the road

Stagea?
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Soarer with twin turbo, they are cheap as, there is one for sale in my area, 12 sec car for $10k
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well if it aint Ford or holden, get a mopar 6 pack. R/T anyone?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
tweeked
N/A all the way

I'd go a Hyundai Excell with a WRX bonnet scoop. Will leave plenty of cash to turbocharge it AND get heaps of stickers AND a carbon fibre lookalike paint job on the bonnet AND if you are lucky maybe even a fully adjustable rear spoiler.

All that is left then is to save up for a front spoiler with extra wingy things hanging off the sides.

But thats just me, im a bit different......

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
I'd go a Hyundai Excell with a WRX bonnet scoop. Will leave plenty of cash to turbocharge it AND get heaps of stickers AND a carbon fibre lookalike paint job on the bonnet AND if you are lucky maybe even a fully adjustable rear spoiler.

All that is left then is to save up for a front spoiler with extra wingy things hanging off the sides.

Get real, thats nothing without neons, a sub and a monster tacho (only cool if its an auto)
Old 20-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

And frangipani stickers..can't forget the frangipani stickers..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked

There is always one...

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 20-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
You can get good, converted 80's and early 90's corvettes and camaros for that money now. My old man sold an IROC-Z camaro in showroom condition converter with the big v8 for $12,000 not too long ago. They get plenty of looks and sound lethal. Corvettes handle well but the rest of them are only good on the straights. Trans am's are nice but every one Ive seen (you want around a 89 or 90 one) has bad paint issues and is full of squeeks and rattles. They are an awesome car though.

Id be buying one of them, dont be like the rest of the tools with the droney yucky 10 inch exhaust pipes and big chromies, its gay. American muscle is awesome. Good investment too, good cars are getting rarer on USA ebay now. Theres a few guys on the gold coast and some in melbourne who advertise in Just Cars all the time with things like this.

I know they arent supercharged or turbocharged (most of them) but if you want something very very fast, very very very fun and awesome looking thats your best bet for that sort of coin. And unless its panel damage, most bits are easy to find, especially since the corvettes have the LS1 I think.

Oh yeah, as for mustangs, you're only gonna get the all too common 60's shape for that sort of money, so dont bother. Every ******* and his dog has a bloody 60's mustang now.

I would agree though that your XR6 is the best overall than the rest of the suggestions. Imports are great until they break. Dont miind the idea of a new golf though, I think they look OK

damn straight
gimmie a 72 Beep Beep, a bara, or even a shitey 70 challenger...
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR

Like your thinking. I have just come from America and the temptation is very strong to own an 80/90's Americana. The only thing that is worrying me is the conversion to right hand drive. I want an example that has been done properly and not a bodge job.

80's Camaro/Firebird are cool as is a Fox body Mustang with a five point owe. Not sure if you can get a tidy vette for $15k. One of my favourites is the 1986/87 Chevy Monte Carlo SS in Black with red stripes.
Old 20-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #24
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a few people with american stuff. A lady where I buy breakfast every morning has a trans am, and only got back from the USA yesterday where she's been for the last 2 weeks or so at SEMA. Her conversion of her '89 trans am is spot on, still the odd squeek on the dash but it really is pretty flawless, though, it'd want to be, at $40,000 for the conversion alone. I know where there's a '89 convertible 5.7L vette that only needs minor work with the original rims, everything working, low kays auto is for sale, probably get it for low teens. Tassie RTA have cancelled all rego of ALL cars under 30 years old running LHD (hence this cheap vette). Be wary of this if you are looking at american cars, as it may soon be bought into the rest of australia.
If you were considering getting into an '80 or '90 's muscle car, NOW is the time to buy. AUS $ is OK if you are importing, and local sales on thirsty v8's are pretty slow at the moment. As I said, good ones are getting harder to find and costing more, just jump on ebay us and have a look.

Last edited by Jack91; 20-11-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 20-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Mmm...80 or 90s muscle car...mmmm..

Very tempting...

How would I go daily driving one?

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 20-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Mmm...80 or 90s muscle car...mmmm..

Very tempting...

How would I go daily driving one?

Sideways hopefully :evil3: :evil3:
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #27
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a big loud v8, it wont be economical, but plenty of fun and those 8's are pretty reliable. Go for a camaro, around 86 or later, they have the sharper looking tail lights and sharper bodykit.

Oh yeah, they all have targa sunroofs which are the ones where you lift out the glass bit. Really awesome cars, do you really want to be like everyone else with the weak skyline with the doof doof and stupid altezza lights and the stupidly loud exhaust that annoys everyone. Get one of these cars, all the women want you and the men want to be LIKE you and some want you aswell.

Last edited by Jack91; 20-11-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 20-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
barbarian
Banned

R34 Nissan Skyline GT-T

Year 1998 - 2002
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
loosey

I've owned fords and Japanese imports, in my experience the imports cost more to keep on the road but cause less hassles. For that money you could buy a 260rs stagea (gtr wagon pretty much), rs4 stageas, skylines, silvias, chasers, legnums, galants, gsr lancers (perhaps evos), wrx's, chasers, tourers, cimas, glorias/ cedrics etc.
I've owned my R33 skyline for almost two years with very little hassle, I'm only now thinking of selling it to replace it with a stagea.
Downsides.
-Insurance costs
-Part availability (not so much a problem with the more common ones ie. skylines.)
-Service Intervals
-They attract police attention
-Thieves love them
Upsides
-They're not everywhere
-Reliable as a daily (at least in my experience)
-Good fun on the weekends in the twisities
-They're advanced for their age
-Most are well looked after and low km (check books/ history!)
-Endless amounts of aftermarket parts
-A lot of parts are interchangeable
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
E30 BMW + LS1 = skids

Or a Gixxer.
Second that...E30 is a gawguz looking ride! i would def opt to get an e30!
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post