Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Will a FWD Falcon mean the death of the I6?

I don't know if this has been answered in any other threads, but if Ford made the Falcon FWD, would they be able to shoehorn the I6 in, or would it be a V6?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
MexicanBatman
Banned

VeeSix

V6

Say goodbye the il6
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Has been discussed before.

It is pretty clear that FWD would be the death of I6 as there are serious constraints in trying to fit a long I6 in a FWD package, it would have to go to a shorter V6 configuration.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it was a no-brainer? There's no way a FWD Falcon would be powered by the I6. It's just too long to fit.

If they do switch to FWD, I hope to god they drop the Falcon nameplate.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Even if the Falcon stays RWD, the I6 will more than likely go because they will have to use global powertrains which the I6 is not.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
321Go

Yes Ford Falcon will use the I6 in FWD mode. The 2015 Falcon will be 2.3 metres wide.

321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I love playing with people's heads, here's one for the Folks that say never.
20 years ago, Ford was working on the T-drive project that never continued..

Who recognises this engine from 20 years ago?

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Might be a hint in the fact that it never continued.
Old 29-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Might be a hint in the fact that it never continued.
Just saying that people say it won't fit doesn't mean that it's true.

Here's another cool part, the centre drive take off for the 3.2 I-6:

Old 29-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
agreed...don't badge engineer it to be a falcon when it isn't close to what a falcon was.

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Just saying that people say it won't fit doesn't mean that it's true.

Here's another cool part, the centre drive take off for the 3.2 I-6:

Wow, interesting concept. So, how many of the EB Falcon 3.9/4.0 engines got used in that T-Drive project?

Servicing would have been a pain (6 spark plugs on the firewall side). Wonder what the steering rack / column would be like to get around the motor?

As for the OP question. That FWD i6 bridge will be crossed if it has to be. Pesonally, I don't think FWD Falcon will happen. GMHolden might want to continue RWD, but GM is saying otherwise. Note the VE potentially being orphaned on it's current Zeta platform with the other vehicles going to either alpha or FWD architectures.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec...ve/default.htm
There's one there with a transverse inline 8!!!
If they can fit that in a medium car...
I hope they retool it for east-west, with a new alloy block variant or something. could happen if they want to keep Geelong running, and want to keep some of the Falcon's USP intact...
If Daewoo can do a east-west s6 I'm sure For could if they wanted to...Would be hard to convince Dearborn though (but then it always is).
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
As for the OP question. That FWD i6 bridge will be crossed if it has to be. Pesonally, I don't think FWD Falcon will happen. GMHolden might want to continue RWD, but GM is saying otherwise. Note the VE potentially being orphaned on it's current Zeta platform with the other vehicles going to either alpha or FWD architectures.
i Agree Phil, I would be getting all maudilin about the future of the RWD Falcon just yet,
the GM biased press get their sound bites from the US auto show every year and keep
pedaling the imminent demise of the Falcon....Ooooooooohhhhhhoooooo.

And then we hear Orion is still here for another 5-6 years and oh, FoA haven't decided yet....

Don't count the old bird out just yet.....
Old 29-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:

why? for the small % of people on a small car forum? 90% of the buying population wouldn't be able to tell and wouldn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Even if the Falcon stays RWD, the I6 will more than likely go because they will have to use global powertrains which the I6 is not.
this is pretty much confirmed already. hard to see the I6 go beyond its current life cycle.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:

Yes I do

If you hadn't already found those pics I was about to. Though it'll never happen. The I6 will pass and be replaced with a FWD/AWD V6 (east-west) driveline.

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. If it isn't I6 and RWD it isn't a Falcon.

To keep the Falcon nameplate on a rebadged Taurus/Mondeo or whatever would be disrespectful to the Falcon name and enough to turn me from Ford for life.

Are you listening Ford?

Do you care?
Old 29-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Yes I do

To keep the Falcon nameplate on a rebadged Taurus/Mondeo or whatever would be disrespectful to the Falcon name and enough to turn me from Ford for life.

Are you listening Ford?

Do you care?
Ford is an American multinational company. They will only care if the number of customers lost is more than the number gained, which would look improbable to me, as many dont know or care about the Falcon as its a fleet car. So in truth, I would say no they don't care.

The secret to any survival of a RWD Falcon IMHO, will pin on the success of the Caprice in Police service. If that takes off (looks promising) and the Commodore heads state side as a Chevy and this times gets a fair go, the pressure might be on Ford to keep something that is at least a potential competitor to them both. I can only imagine a V6 Falcon with the steering wheel on the other side, would be cheaper then a stretched Mustang that has had a heap of engineering done to accept an IRS.

IRS on the Mustang would get blow back anyway, as it will push the price up and irritate a lot of Mustang owners, who for whatever reason believe a live axle is better.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
IRS on the Mustang would get blow back anyway, as it will push the price up and irritate a lot of Mustang owners, who for whatever reason believe a live axle is better.

Dan
Dan, S197 mustang was originally designed with CB IRS similar to FG Falcon but with different pick up points to allow unique rear seating position between the wheels.

Long story cut short, Phil Martens who headed up the project ordered the cahnge to Panhard rear end to save approx $170 per car, one chief engineer attached to the project was so incensed that he transferred to another division.

Near the end FoA and FNA were working on a common IRS for Falcon and Mustang,
they almost had it but unfortunately Territory was at design lock in so a common
IRS eluded both camps and FNA chiefs went with SRA Mustang.

I won't over sell this idea but the most expensive parts of common or related vehicles are
power train, electrical systems and suspensions. All the rest like body framing, trim and glass
can be considered unique to the vehicle's top hat.

Now, consider that Falcon and Territory are on separate platforms but still share the most
important 40% of parts, I'm sure that a future Falcon and Mustang product cycle could do likewise....

Last edited by jpd80; 29-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 29-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The other question is can the 4.0 I6 survive without an alloy block? Will it be able to meet future emissions regs with the thermal mass to heat?

It may be fitting to drop the Falcon name but the Pulsar/Tiida and Corolla/Auris lessons - or closer to home Laser/Focus! - show that it would be a sure-fire way to kill sales.

Edit - jpd80, surely it makes too much sense to be ignored!!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
The other question is can the 4.0 I6 survive without an alloy block? Will it be able to meet future emissions regs with the thermal mass to heat?

It may be fitting to drop the Falcon name but the Pulsar/Tiida and Corolla/Auris lessons - or closer to home Laser/Focus! - show that it would be a sure-fire way to kill sales.

Edit - jpd80, surely it makes too much sense to be ignored!!
I recon the I-6 will be good for this product cycle, Euro 4 was the biggest hurdle and the future
Euro 5 and 6 are smaller incremental steps - I suspect that I-6 already complies to these levels but
maybe reliability emission testing to 160,000 km mandated by the latter two regs was not done yet.
Old 29-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
I won't over sell this idea but the most expensive parts of common or related vehicles are power train, electrical systems and suspensions. All the rest like body framing, trim and glass can be considered unique to the vehicle's top hat.

Now, consider that Falcon and Territory are on separate platforms but still share the most important 40% of parts, I'm sure that a future Falcon and Mustang product cycle could do likewise....
I work in HV electrical substation protection design. I completely agree that electrical systems are an expensive and time consuming 'thing' to get right. Relating it back to car design, apart from gadgets / functions which are just expected to be there, no-one really knows what goes on either. Yet the cash soaking ability can be huge.

With a modularised /customisable platform which can have multiple tophats utilising those power train, electrical and suspensions there could be some real synergies made.

Personally, i'm hoping for a drop forged alloy version of the AU IRS. Similar to what the FG front and Territory front are like. Some good weight savings could be made. Even an alloy version of Control Blade would be decent. Just depends if you want better or best!

Retrotech thread
Old 30-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mustang team likes our floor pan and suspension modules but doesn't need sedan top hat,
FoA team doesn't need Mustang top hat but needs their power trains and electrical systems.
Neither car is on the same platform but the pair (and Territory) could share expensive unseen bits.

Synergy comes in different forms, sometimes you don't have to give up as much as you think...
Old 30-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

[QUOTE=outback_ute]The other question is can the 4.0 I6 survive without an alloy block? Will it be able to meet future emissions regs with the thermal mass to heat?
QUOTE]
The Golf GTi 2.0 TFSI has a iron block, one of the best engines around and it meets emissions standards. Why is there a fixiation with alloy blocks. I know it makes for better dynamics and is said to improve emission standards due to faster warm up, but the Falcon Six always seems to cop it (mainly the media) for having a durable, strong and cheap Iron block.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old wisdom was that an alloy block was needed for the I-6 in order to meet Euro 4 and higher
but when Ford Australia started the T6 Ranger project, the engineers were given access to
computer emission modeling software and after inputting the Falcon I-6 parameters they
became very excited when all that was needed was recalibration and new catalytic converter.

For $21 million, FoA avoids many changes and gets another 5-6 years out of their I-6 engine.
Old 30-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I would imagine that the addition of EPAS and an electric water pump would further reduce emissions and improve economy due to less parasitic drag on the motor.

Emissions produced during the warmup loop cycle could be reduced by an electric water pump controlled by the ECU - it can be set to provide zero circulation at startup so the coolant warms up quicker and brings the engine to operating temp quicker than it currently does.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the "warm up" is not to do with the block, it's the converter light off time.
A different converter and new ECU calibration has made emissions compliance easier.
Old 30-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I hope it does mean the end of I6 if Falcon goes FWD, One doesn't work without the other, its a RWD I6 or it's nothing!
Old 30-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The I6 is dead. Numbers continue to drop year on year. TD V6 and Ecoboost 4 will trim that down even further. It will not survive past 2015 or whenever the all new Falcon is due. Its only supporter has been moved out of the way, Marin.

You can also say goodbye to the V8 and probably the ute if Falcon goes onto a Taurus platform, probably the manual gearbox too.

The death of Falcon as we know it. You couldn't even really call it a Falcon, you may as well call it something else.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The I6 is dead. Numbers continue to drop year on year. TD V6 and Ecoboost 4 will trim that down even further. It will not survive past 2015 or whenever the all new Falcon is due. Its only supporter has been moved out of the way, Marin.

You can also say goodbye to the V8 and probably the ute if Falcon goes onto a Taurus platform, probably the manual gearbox too.

The death of Falcon as we know it. You couldn't even really call it a Falcon, you may as well call it something else.
If that happens, I would be more concerned about about local manufacturing than the name used.
Who's to say that Ford doesn't base the whole thing on the next Fusion and import cars from Mexico..

Forget Taurus, Fusion/Mondeo is the big threat to RWD Falcon.

At the moment, I'd say the decision is 50/50 but there's more to this than the cars.
It's also about:
1) what the Aussie government will throw at Ford to keep local manufacturing here,
Tom Gorman successfully wangled enough cash out of Victoria and Federal Governments to
ensure FG wasn't a BF series III and received a new top hat.....
2) The cost of closing down manufacturing here and making everyone redundant versus the change in profit by fully importing fully built up units.
3) The possibility of regional exports to India and China adding to a local Falcon's case.
4) Ford's investment in FPV, what would Prodrive do without supply of RWD falcons.
5) Buyers, how many people want what type of large sedan, the price and what features do they want.

Last edited by jpd80; 30-01-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
Paxton
Cobblers!

No. The I6 is dead.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I would imagine that the addition of EPAS and an electric water pump would further reduce emissions and improve economy due to less parasitic drag on the motor.

Emissions produced during the warmup loop cycle could be reduced by an electric water pump controlled by the ECU - it can be set to provide zero circulation at startup so the coolant warms up quicker and brings the engine to operating temp quicker than it currently does.
I think that EPAS and EWP will come for those parasitic loss reasons you have mentioned. As far as the EWP goes, i think they might utilise reverse coolant flow where the flow goes through the head then to the block. Allows for better thermal control of the head, permitting more optimum ignition timing and faster warmup for the block too.

The current I6 is already Euro4 and is effectivey already Euro 5 compliant from all reports.

Retrotech thread