Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
david837465
Starter Motor

Default Re: New rear shocks 2015 Mondeo

So, after a LOT of googling and many hours, I found these.

https://geparts.se/en/rebuildingkit-...mondeo-iv.html

So I've ordered them. Wait and see now if I'm asked to pay more for shipping, it was very cheap!

The description states they are to replace Ford OE part numbers 2373325 and DG9C-18K077-AED. It appears the part number used by Ford Australia for the shock is the second one. Confirmed from this photo

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clar...at-/1262192222

Along the way found some useful websites

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/180/no/0/2778/20796/ (Technical diagrams and part numbers, possibly UK/Euro specific, useful if you have to order from there)

https://www-etisorigin.app.ford.com/ (this gives you technical data on your car. When I put my VIN in though, it just told me what the model and engine was, nothing else. According to TalkFord Forum it should provide a comprehensive list of part numbers. I might be doing something wrong, or maybe it doesn't work for Australian Fords)

https://www.talkford.com/threads/mon.../#post-3188663 (gave me the above links)

https://www.der-ersatzteile-profi.de...mpfer-a4973425 (german parts store that lists up to date OE part numbers and equivalent older ones)

Anyway, thanks for the help with this. Fingers crossed the kit arrives and works. Watch this space............
david837465 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #2
david837465
Starter Motor

Quick update. The kit from Geparts didn't arrive. After some back and forth it turned out they did send them, but Aussie customs sent them back. Apparently our customs officers were concerned the gas in the shocks could be an explosive! How does anything ever get imported??! Anyway, Geparts were very good about it and refunded me my entire amount, despite being very out of pocket on the shipping fees (they had to pay for them to come back!). So hats off to them.

Still need shocks though.......
Old 15-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

OMG, I think the Customs Officers need a gassing. Explosive....you dumba$$e$
Old 16-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
adyadad

I had the same happen with some ceramic paint treatment from the US. Hardly flammable.
adyadad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
NPS

sorry Triga have not gone any further, mine was just a querie. Noel
NPS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2022, 12:18 PM   #6
david837465
Starter Motor

Hello again. Just saw Triga's post so thought I'd give an update on where I'm at. I think I have all the parts now. Bilstein shocks 19-250335. Lesjofors springs 4227644. Dust cover kit 350194. Once I had these I had my mechanic try to fit them. Unfortunately it didn't quite work out. The bracket the shock pin goes into was too big. You see the Nivomats use a 14mm pin whereas the standard shocks use a 10mm pin.

However, Ford UK sell the 10mm bracket for a mere $55 each. But of course, they will not ship to Australia. Ford Australia do actually sell the 10mm bracket......... for $190 each!!! (and there was only 1 in the country at the time). Even the guy at my local Ford dealer couldn't believe that mark up, so he actually gave me the part number so I could look for it on ebay (something they never do!). So after some searching I managed to order 2 of the brackets on ebay from Lithuania for $100 each. They've just arrived and everything looks like it fits together so fingers crossed! The part number is 5278397 (UK) or DG9C-18A116-AXF (international).

After all that and fitting I'll probably have spent around $1000 - $1200, still half the price of the Nivomats! And these will probably last a lot longer. If you want to give it a go, the most cost effective solution would be the kit from GEParts in Sweden (see my earlier post). But if you do order it, arrange for your own courier. DHL or Fedex, one with experience in bringing gas canisters in to the country (see earlier posts).

Another option, if you know someone in the UK, would be to order the parts for delivery to them, and have them ship it all over here.

I ordered mine through a UK website and paid their shipping costs $145 for the lot. So, if you can, try to order everything from the same site, it will cost you less. I did see the 10mm bracket on the website at the time I ordered the shocks and springs but didn't realise I needed it. D'oh!

I still can't believe how much Ford Australia rip off their customers. Just because the Nivomats are fitted as standard here shouldn't mean we are forced to replace like for like when Ford obviously manufactures cheaper replacements for the standard suspension they fit in other countries. And as for the $190 bracket, that's just taking the p***!!!

Hope this all helps. I'll update again once I've been back to my mechanic
Old 29-01-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
Triga
Starter Motor

hey david837465

thanks for the detailed follow up its a great help, im due a service in a week or so and will enquire at ford if they have any better solutions then paying and using the self levelling shocks they can get, surely we aint the first people to try an alternative fix? lol but being ford they will probably tell me nope no other way and sorry we cant order in parts from our international warehouses which is rubbish, so i probably on my own but will see

just to clarify these are the shocks used?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bilstein...75.c1#viTabs_0

seems cheap and wont have to worry about international shipping.

also are the springs a must? is that the info from your mechanic? i assume the ride height on the rear would sag a bit but would it be all that different? genuine question as i cant see the spring rating or whatever is is being all that different? any other info on that would be great

lastly the top mounting where the pin goes and your using the 10mm bracket which i did notice of the UK estate mk5 pics and images ive seen looking slightly different, can you confirm that the holes align and all fits the same.

awesome help once again and any photos you can post would be great
Triga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
david837465
Starter Motor

Hi Triga.

Yes, the shocks you provided a link for are the same one's I've bought. You're right, it does seem cheap, but that's the difference between over complicated self levelers and standards. I had a bit of an exchange with that supplier. They couldn't get their heads around the fact that a US Fusion is the same as an Au/UK Mondeo! By the time I finally got an answer they'd sold the shocks...

Everything I've read and been told says the springs do need to be changed. The Nivomats take some of the load with their upward pressure so the current springs would sag with standard shocks. As for the spring rating, that's the one thing I haven't been able to find out. I've taken a bit of a chance with the ones I've bought, assuming that as they're advertised for replacing standard springs they will do the job. Fingers crossed.

As for the alignments, I can't comment yet. Once the mechanic has put it all together I'll let you know.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:34 PM   #9
Triga
Starter Motor

ok mate thanks again
Triga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 09:44 AM   #10
wazzzas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspeed3 View Post
I love my diesel Mondeo wagon. But both rear shock absorbers need replacing. Ford want $1200 (each)!!!
Given the low volume here, there is no aftermarket supplier. Repco etc don't have them.
But aftermarket shocks are readily available in the UK for around UK 35 pounds or A$65 each.
So I'm planning to buy in UK and have shipped over for fitting. Has anyone else done this?

The ones from the UK do not fit the self levelling setup your car has...

Hence the discussion above.
wazzzas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2024, 11:44 AM   #11
wazzzas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzzas View Post
The ones from the UK do not fit the self levelling setup your car has...

Hence the discussion above.

please ignore cant delete post in error
wazzzas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post