Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Lamborghini Sets New Record to Drive Across America.

A new record for fastest road trip across America was set on Wednesday when Ed Bolian, a Lamborghini dealer from Atlanta, and his team arrived in Redondo Beach, Calif. just 28 hours and 50 minutes after setting out from New York City.

According to Google Maps, the trip should have taken 40 hours.

Bolian, his co-driver Dave Black and support passenger Dan Huang slashed over two hours off the original record set by Alex Roy and Dave Maher of Jalopnik. The crew averaged 98 mph and topped out at 158 in a 2004 Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG.

The trio made the record-breaking journey with the help of extra fuel tanks, high quality radar detectors and bedpans to cut down on stops. All told, they experienced just 46 minutes of down time. They did not release their exact route, but did say they followed I-40 for most of the 2,800 mile journey.

Bolian wrote in a blog post about the trip that their goal was to pay homage to the Cannonball Run, an unofficial coast-to-coast race that took place throughout the 1970s. He also warned that the feat should probably not be repeated.

"I do not advise that anyone attempt this or break the law in any way. This type of activity could easily have resulted in our death, imprisonment or led to a litany of other consequences," Bolian wrote.
http://autos.aol.com/article/new-rec...ncid=webmail17

Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: Lamborghini Sets New Record to Drive Across America.

And no one died....

What a blast that would be. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to drive from Coast to Coast in the states. Albeit at a lot more sedate pace.
My cousin did it a few years ago, bought a cheap,Chevy can that was set up as a camper, spent a month or so doing it then gave the van to some guy at the airport on the way out.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow a Lamborghini record set driving a Mercedes, interesting
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Interesting, but the thread title is misleading. It really has nothing to do with Lamborghini at all. Pretty cool feat nonetheless though.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK !! sorry...no edit button...should be Lamborghini Dealer Sets New Record Across America
Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

what a bunch of **** suckers we did it but dont emulate us or bad things might happen what a bunch of hypocritical ****s.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Richard RawlingsUDoug DeMuro341L
I really think it’s a damn shame that a media outlet as reputable as the Jalopnik would recognize Alex Roy’s “transcontinental” record in the same sentence as a Cannonball Run record breaker. I was talking to Burt Reynolds this weekend about it and he confirmed that the Cannonball Run starts at Red Ball Garage in Manhattan and finishes at Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, CA. That’s what Brock Yates and his team did in 1971. That’s what Dave Heinz and Dave Yarborough did in 1979. That’s what Dennis Collins and I did in 2007. That’s what Ed Bolian claims to have done just this year. Who’s missing from that list? Alex Roy. Alex didn’t make it to the Cannonball Run finish line. His attempt ended at Santa Monica Pier. So why compare Ed’s Cannonball Run record-breaking time to Roy’s unofficial “transcontinental” race time? I’m not trying to bash Roy, here, but why not compare apples to apples? Dennis and I finished the Cannonball Run in a record-breaking 31 hours and 59 minutes, and now, according to this article, it looks like Ed Bolian did the unthinkable (but not impossible) by breaking our record with a finishing time of 28 hours and 50 minutes. He can now join the elite few (6 teams to be exact) who have set a Cannonball Run record, and THAT’s bad ***. That’s what this article should have been about. Besides, as Burt said, they didn’t make movies about “transcontinental” races… they made movies about the Cannonball Run.
Quote:
"I talked to that jackwagon, and it doesn't make sense to me," said Rawlings. "But I'm willing to look at anything and, ****, if you've got the proof, badass. I don't know mathematically how it worked."P
Get you some of that!!

Hope Rawlins and Dennis go out and break it again
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
nstg8a

Lol between gas monkeys resources, and Dennis's deep pockets I can see them doing it again... Just to prove a point
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post