Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Scams

Default Pod out side the box

I know this topic has been cover alot.
The question I have is how much power do you lose with the pod in the engine bay? I have a AU II xr8.

I hope I did not start something

Old 01-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

How much power will need a dyno. But you definately can lose power.Heat being sucked in induces detonation,pinging and heatsoak.All of these reduce power.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I had a pod outside the box on my car for a couple weeks, while the car was cool it was an improvement, but after only a few minutes driving the heat sock started to set in and you could feel it being dragged down. As soon as i enclosed it, it felt so much better. Definitely enclose it.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
I had a pod outside the box on my car for a couple weeks, while the car was cool it was an improvement, but after only a few minutes driving the heat sock started to set in and you could feel it being dragged down. As soon as i enclosed it, it felt so much better. Definitely enclose it.
Agree with this (since i was the one who enclosed it for him : ), but I had the same thing on my XR8, and its defintely better enclosed.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Scams

Thanks guys the only reason I am asking is that i put a pod on the outside of my xr6 vct and it went like a rocket. The other day I had the opportunity to drag it and it did not go too bad against my V8 on a hot day.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scams
I know this topic has been cover alot.
The question I have is how much power do you lose with the pod in the engine bay? I have a AU II xr8.

I hope I did not start something
Every 10 degrees increase of intake temp robs approx 1kw of power.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
yeah def first 5 minutes of driving is great, then after that its boggy as heats up big time. yeah inclosed is the go.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
yeah def first 5 minutes of driving is great, then after that its boggy as heats up big time. yeah inclosed is the go.
I'm surprised you can tell, at approx 1 kw loss per 10 degrees increase, I reckon you'd have to have the engine boiling before you could really tell the difference.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm surprised you can tell, at approx 1 kw loss per 10 degrees increase, I reckon you'd have to have the engine boiling before you could really tell the difference.
Nope, could tell easy after about 5 minutes of driving, the car felt like it was being driven on a 40 degree day, even at 10pm at night, once it had heated up.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Scams

has anyone put a temp gauge at the front of the car? the amount of heat coming out is like inside the Engine bay. At speed air is going throught the front so if the pod was at the front it would be the same as inside the box?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It's actually 1% and that's for 10deg farenheit so it would be easier to pick up than you'd think- probably no different from noticing how much better your car runs at night........
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Scams

This Is the setup what you the all think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 002.jpg (70.8 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
has anyone put a temp gauge at the front of the car? the amount of heat coming out is like inside the Engine bay. At speed air is going throught the front so if the pod was at the front it would be the same as inside the box?
Yep.I have.Underbonnet temps in my car hit 70 degrees celcius on a hot day and so gets sucked into the intake.I made an airbox from a fridge some time back and boxes just ran as hot as buggery.So I removed it.It was in a similar location as the expensive cold air boxes out there.The only setback is that the hot air from the front of the radiator goes into the air box as we travel along.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 02-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

No matter what we are all going to suffer from heat soak ... it's a problem ... even if you relocate the filter to the front bar and run long lengths of piping ... but the piping will still heat up when passing the radiator.

It gets damn hot underbonnet ... I changed a driver's side headlight globe the other day (when on a break from delivering) ... was a very warm day ... when lifting the bonnet it was fricking warm. I had a hard time trying to touch anything it was that hot.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
bloody oath you can tell, give it a go ya self, its extremely noticable
Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
bloody oath you can tell, give it a go ya self, its extremely noticable
I have - and there's no difference (3 different cars). I have also run back to back dynos with Pod, Pod in box and no filter at all, and difference was 1rwkw.

On standard I6, if you really think you can feel (and I mean really feel) the difference between having a pod boxed or not, I think you are kidding yourselves.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
JoesAu

the car runs alot hotter!! then it needs to. Im not caring of your kw facts, on the modded cars it makes the car less responsive and doughy as. def did that on my car, my friends Ef which is heavily modded (he got rid of pod after he had it exposed)put the airbox back on and the difference was very noticable in all terms, the overall drvability imrpoved straight up.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I have - and there's no difference (3 different cars). I have also run back to back dynos with Pod, Pod in box and no filter at all, and difference was 1rwkw.

On standard I6, if you really think you can feel (and I mean really feel) the difference between having a pod boxed or not, I think you are kidding yourselves.
OK you have had your first hand experience, so have i, we both got different results, lets just leave it at that.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
the car runs alot hotter!! then it needs to. Im not caring of your kw facts, on the modded cars it makes the car less responsive and doughy as. def did that on my car, my friends Ef which is heavily modded (he got rid of pod after he had it exposed)put the airbox back on and the difference was very noticable in all terms, the overall drvability imrpoved straight up.
I can understand that your opinion would be more authoritative than any facts.

And byt the way, they're not "mine" as such - they're facts, so they are actually owned by everyone until disproved. Jim actually corrected what I said (but I was talking about an I6), so I'd go with what he is saying; ie 10 degree (F) temp rise robs 1% power - so we are both right, as a stock I6 generally has around the 100rwkw and 1% is 1rwkw, but on a higher powered car, that may increase to 2 rwkw!!!).

Of course, your bum-o-meter is going to be more scientific than any power measuring device, so let's just change the facts to suit your opinion shall we? If you don't want to hear the truth, don't ask a question - or for that matter respond to a question with opinion that is not actually proven correct. I am simply trying to point out what the facts actually are, and you are trying to disprove me with nothing.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #20
JoesAu

if what you say is true you only lose 1-2 kw watever why isnt everyone driving around around with exposed pods? why do G&d make thier air boxes, why does chris put developement in airboxes at bluepower! cos the facts are its more than just 1-2kw its the drivability of the car is a pig, slow response everything, wake up to ya self
Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Play nice people
Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Guys calm down.I too have had the car on the dyno with the pod filter.I had a dyno then removed the filter.I gained 1 rwkw. However when you box the pod chances are that it promotoes more velocity at low to mid range as cylinder filling is enhanced at these speeds.In saying that the box would immediately reduce top end power.The cooler intake mixture will help maintain power by resisting higher air intake temps.The open pod will give more power when underbonnet temps are cool but once hotter the closed cold air intake will have that benefit.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
if what you say is true you only lose 1-2 kw watever why isnt everyone driving around around with exposed pods? why do G&d make thier air boxes, why does chris put developement in airboxes at bluepower! cos the facts are its more than just 1-2kw its the drivability of the car is a pig, slow response everything, wake up to ya self
It's called marketing and hype! Apart from that, there is the legal factor that you are not allowed to have an exposed pod. But as for the rest - it's all about getting people to pay $600 for a Pod shield. Yes it will reduce heat - I don't dispute that. But in terms of outright power loss drawing in hot air as opposed to "cold" air, it's not all that much! Most of the benefit in the bluepower boxes etc is not in the shield, but the big filter that replaces the restrictive factory panel.

What sort of intake temps do you think you're getting with your pod in the box? Any idea what you're getting with an exposed pod? I can tell you the difference in temps is less that 10 degrees farenheit if you use the stock piping, but if you are using a chrome/stainless (ie metal) intake pipe, then it will double or triple, as the metal intakes hold/retain more heat than the standard factory ABS plastic stuff does, so whether you run a pod enclosed or not, it's the metal pipe that will affect you more.

I don't know why I am bothering to reply though, as I remember from your last post that your opinion outweighs any facts, so perhaps I can just leave you to your opinion, and let the facts work themselves out for everyone else.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Play nice people
Always!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It's called marketing and hype! Apart from that, there is the legal factor that you are not allowed to have an exposed pod. But as for the rest - it's all about getting people to pay $600 for a Pod shield. Yes it will reduce heat - I don't dispute that. But in terms of outright power loss drawing in hot air as opposed to "cold" air, it's not all that much! Most of the benefit in the bluepower boxes etc is not in the shield, but the big filter that replaces the restrictive factory panel.

What sort of intake temps do you think you're getting with your pod in the box? Any idea what you're getting with an exposed pod? I can tell you the difference in temps is less that 10 degrees farenheit if you use the stock piping, but if you are using a chrome/stainless (ie metal) intake pipe, then it will double or triple, as the metal intakes hold/retain more heat than the standard factory ABS plastic stuff does, so whether you run a pod enclosed or not, it's the metal pipe that will affect you more.

I don't know why I am bothering to reply though, as I remember from your last post that your opinion outweighs any facts, so perhaps I can just leave you to your opinion, and let the facts work themselves out for everyone else.
Few questions, firstly exposed pods are ok here in QLD, seen plenty of cars inspected and passed with them. So my first question is Unifilter setups (I know they are crap) the big trumpet with large foam filter, are they sold in other states? Are they illegal in these states?
Also with the metal intake pipes, I understand they would heat up say at idle, but when driving, having cold (or at least colder then the pipe) air traveling through it, would they really be a hinderance?
Lastly, after trashing my car on a padock for a good 20 minutes, popped the bonnet and my air box was hot, opened it up and even my pannel filter was warm (around 50deg c at a guess) So I agree and can't see having it exposed would make much if any of a differance.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #26
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just to add my 2c worth, when a dyno run is done, do they measure acceleration? or just outright power? My prev car, although it was a korean 4 cyl, lost acceleration performance with an exposed pod as opposed to the factory intake. i don't know if it actually lost power or not as I never had it dynoed, but once it heated up it was a lot more sluggish than normal. so my thoughts are, even though an exposed pod doesn't necessarily lose power it could be that it is losing response (i guess you could call it that)
Old 15-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #27
EL__Monty

Quote:
This Is the setup what you the all think?

Hi Scams,

you could try to make a heat shield up to shield the pod against engine bay radiant heat and the hot air blowing out of the passenger side thermo fan.

This is what i have done. large K&N pod with a shield made out of 6mm clear acrylic. used a carboard template first to get the right shape.
Old 15-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #28
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stockau.... exposed air filiments are illegal in queensland...

in reponse to everyone... all in all.. on a stock I6.. power loss or gain is going to be minimal... what ppl may or may not be feeling in the seat.. is not power loss or gain...

it's probably more a gain or loss in torque....or change in spark/combustion... however.. i have no idea what i'm talking about.. i just wanted to sound smart.. :(
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #29
potsyfromparkes

I have been studying all these comments and facts in regards to CAI,s for two nights as I want to do something with my BF XR8 induction to make it more efficient and remember this is only my opinion but the main points I think are pertinent are;

1; any CAI with heat reduction has to be good;shielding with heat resistant insulation both inside the airbox and pipes has got to be good,

2; a freeflowing pod filter, the biggest you can get to fit inside your standard airbox has got to be good,

3; fabrication of twin inlets out of non restrictive free flowing PVC piping or snorkels will not have as much heat soak as compared to Aluminium(very heat conductive) and Stainless Steel (not much better).

I am going to do some work on my stock airbox with all of the above used if possible and see how it goes keeping in mind that I want it to look presentable.

I will never be convinced that an exposed pod will ever be any good as there is just too much heat in the engine bay to make it worthwhile.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #30
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What you say is quite right , if you put CAI into the search box you will find 300 post about them. just check the date on them as you may find more up to date info on what you need.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244844

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Closed Thread