Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 
Default Going Overboard

Years ago while working on my Nissan Patrol 4WD up north, I was working underneath it trying to pull the gearbox out and it shifted on the jacks/stands (front) it was on. The whole truck dropped about 2 inches onto large blocks of wood that we had placed under the chassis for "Justin" (justin case).

Since that time, I have always been carefull to the point of going overboard regarding safety when working on cars. Do you have anything that really freaks you out about working on your car?

Today, about to do my diff oil before finding a "tag"
[IMG][/IMG]

EDIT: Forgot to say I had wheel chocks on the front and rear of the other back tyre

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Going Overboard

It's never too safe when you can have around two tonne falling on top of you.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Few years back while I had my XB up on jacks, was installing the newly rebuilt diff. Car was on 2 chassis stands.
For some reason the car suddenly moved sideways.
I was underneath it when it happen (but there was no fuel tank in the way).
Had no idea how or why.. and I left it for a day and came back the next.
Made sure i put some old rims under the car from then on..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Just O/T for a moment, Justin Case as in white EF Justin?....
Old 15-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Just O/T for a moment, Justin Case as in white EF Justin?....

Ah nooooo................
Just-in-Case.......................................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Location make's **** really mixed up... How the **** I didn't realise what had been said, I dunno.......

Back on topic from me, I always have one stand on each side, and a fully raised jack sitting in between them, with just a bit of weight on it.....
Old 15-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

using one of those small floor jacks worry me a bit.
i had one that collasped when i had the rhr corner of the XB half way jacked once. one of the side stays ( the black upright bit on yours) just folded up and the whole thing fell over sideways.

i haven`t used that style of jack since.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
using one of those small floor jacks worry me a bit.
i had one that collasped when i had the rhr corner of the XB half way jacked once. one of the side stays ( the black upright bit on yours) just folded up and the whole thing fell over sideways.

i haven`t used that style of jack since.
Now your making me paranoid Dave I have to get back under there today to look at the yellow sticker properly so I might incorporate the Ford scissor jack into the mix as well.

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Working under my cars has always scared the hell out of me. I always worry about whether or not I placed the stands in the right spots. So Im the same, always putting more things underneath.
Also having recently heard of a guy that was dragged a few meters by his Buick after it fell & rolled, has just enforced that even more.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i fell asleep under the XA with just one of those bodgy 20yo trolley jacks holding it up.. zzzzz.. fidiot......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Red face Re: Going Overboard

I took my rear muffler off some time ago while the back tyres were on ramps. The front tyres were chocked once i realised the height wasn't right and my jack couldn't go any higher , so i needed some wood to put the jack on and my car was now on a 20degree angle pointing down my driveway with a 1" chock under my front wheel LOL.

Anyway the tyres were now a good 8"s off the ramps and after losing litres of blood i wasn't giving up until that tailpipe was past the diff... actually as soon as the jack started slipping off the wood i bailed pretty quick .

Do NOT try this at home !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i fell asleep under the XA with just one of those bodgy 20yo trolley jacks holding it up.. zzzzz.. fidiot......
Bahaha! That doesn't make any sense to me, how did you fall asleep??
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I once reversed my XR6 up some ramps. And off them. In one fluid backwards motion.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I once reversed my XR6 up some ramps. And off them. In one fluid backwards motion.
I nearly did that once going forwards. The ramps flicked up and hit the chassis, but I didn't go over.

I'm pretty careful when it comes to working on the car. If I have to be a little dodgey I just make sure my arms and legs are clear of things like disc rotors.
Old 16-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
Tobey
BF Ute...

Never be under a car using the Ford scissor jack, have had one collapse on me...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #16
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyHubcap
Now your making me paranoid Dave I have to get back under there today to look at the yellow sticker properly so I might incorporate the Ford scissor jack into the mix as well.

Cheers
once you have the wheel or the car stands under it you will be fine. just DONT get any part of you under the car with only the jack( of any kind).

i now use one of the larger workshop 2.5T floor jacks to do the lifting and have a set of those ratchet style car stands that i put under the chassis rails and/or diff housing. i then let the load off the jack but usually leave it under the car. solid hard wood blocks are good for packing under the car as stands too, but never use bricks.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

I can get under my car to check things out without any kind of jack, with all wheels on solid ground. I just lay back, turn my head sideways and slide under. Can anybody else climb under their car without the need for a jack of any kind
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jacking up the front of the car its always in a FWD gear and hand break on. Jack and 2 axle stands, no issues for me... so far =)
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
once you have the wheel or the car stands under it you will be fine. just DONT get any part of you under the car with only the jack( of any kind).
I had a dream last night that i was removing my rear calipers with my legs under the car as ya do... i don't know how the car was supported but it came down and severed my femural artery with the brake disc... i managed to lift the guard up and car off myself and dragged myself against the wall and rang my missus to say i was sorry...

I bled out all alone.. something to think about i reckon ?
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use the tripod style stands i find the ones with the single post and pin abit flimsy the tripod ones are more expensive but i find them way more stable
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
Kryton

Jacks and jack stands - all unsafe and wouldnt trust either with my life.
Doing big work under a car - use a hoist or dont do the work.

I spent nearly 2 days under a pano with only a jack holding it up - on dirt, got out the 3rd day, jacked it up, took the front wheel off and leaned over into the engine bay and it all fell down.
That could have been me under it any time the previous 2 days.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #22
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
I had a dream last night that i was removing my rear calipers with my legs under the car as ya do... i don't know how the car was supported but it came down and severed my femural artery with the brake disc... i managed to lift the guard up and car off myself and dragged myself against the wall and rang my missus to say i was sorry...

I bled out all alone.. something to think about i reckon ?
I`m giving you nightmares now Dazz??

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 17-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty twisted dream there Daz

I should definitely be safer with cars in the garage. Sometimes I can be a bit careless. Haven't worked on a car in a while now though since i'm always in company cars.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I had my old XA roll down ramps and squashed me so bad I had blood coming out my ears..
I managed to jam a hammer between ground and body to lift it enough so I could take small quick breaths..
I asked the guy helping me to put auto in N so I could line up driveshaft...
The dead brain took the handbrake off !!!
Then the car rolled off the steel ramps..
XA's have big exhaust mufflers and deep sill joins which cut into my ribs..
Which are sore to touch 25 years latter...
I do the same now at least two methods of supporting vehicle..
I break out in sweat every time I work under a car, kinda like claustrophobia...
Strange part is when I got back inside after they lifted the car off me the Mr's said "have you fixed that car yet" !!! F+@& yea...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cam remember as a young buk about the age of 15 my mate and i playing mechanic on the old mans lowered EH, we had the car raised on the drivers side with our old favorite the dreaded scissor jack, anyway my buddy crawled under to look at the big exhaust system, he`d been under there about 10 seconds when the scissor jack folded sideways and the car came down with a thump, i thought my mate was dead for sure, he shimmied out unscathed except for a large deposit in the undies,
lucky he was a skinny bugger, it missed him by about a hairs width he reckons, you rarely get a second chance when a car lands on you, going over board is a good thing when working under car, lesson learned for my mate and i.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can never take too much care. I've got a favorite piece of tree stump that I roll over whenever I'm taking a wheel off the car. If it's something more, I've a set of old 8" wide 12-slotter chrome steel wheels that get put into service by being put under the car (lying down flat of course), or, when it's on ramps, sat on the ramps in front of the rear wheels as long as they aren't in the way, plus blocks in front of the wheels on the ground.

I only ever had one scissor jack start to bend once, but had the wheel back on and threw it after use. I never trust my old trolley jack...I always use a backup of some sort.

Of course, it gets reinforced at work because one old guy has the nickname "jack" after many years ago having a car fall on his head and shoulders, pinning him for an amazing three hours until someone found him...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scissor jacks dangerous! Anyone remember the original 68 XT hilift type jack ( they attached to the bumper bars ), now they were dodgy. I remember changing a wheel on a footpath that had a camber falling towards the gutter, nothing drastic. Up we go, wheel off about to put spare on oh oh over she comes into a telegraph pole that happened to be there. Never used that jack again.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL
Scissor jacks dangerous! Anyone remember the original 68 XT hilift type jack ( they attached to the bumper bars ), now they were dodgy. I remember changing a wheel on a footpath that had a camber falling towards the gutter, nothing drastic. Up we go, wheel off about to put spare on oh oh over she comes into a telegraph pole that happened to be there. Never used that jack again.
yeah i had a 67 xr with the same, pretty dangerous buggers, one good thing, they are quick to jack up though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when doing anything major underneath i use 2 sets of ramps ,front and back both facing in cant go anywher then,also helps to fit the gut under
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #30
Falcman0o7
Banned

Good on ya. I use 2 3000kg stands, jacks and wheels! Better to be safe than VERY sorry.
And holding a car up on grass and dirt is just plain dumb.
Some people really need to think before just doing what they want or need to do.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post