Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
deadlywill
Starter Motor

Default Murphy's Law Moments

Windscreen washers not working once in 2 weeks - take it into Ford to get it fixed - guy sits in it - hits the washers works perfect first time. The guys smiling - i feel like a dick. Remains unexplained....

deadlywill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
HenryFordJr

Default Re: Murphy's Law Moments

You must have been doing it wrong

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Springfield_Johny

Did you happen to notice what side he put his tongue out when operating the wipers?

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlywill
Windscreen washers not working once in 2 weeks - take it into Ford to get it fixed - guy sits in it - hits the washers works perfect first time. The guys smiling - i feel like a dick. Remains unexplained....
Once upon a time when i took my car to Ford, as soon as it hit the lot, whatever the problem was, was no more.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happens often.. usually within 500m of the workshop your going to....

Had a misfire in the EA many years ago..... ran like crap, driving to workshop it cleared itself.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Fuel cap wouldn't close, thought it was knackered. Told the mechanic to have a look at it and when I picked it up he said that the fuel release in the boot had been pulled open by the rubbish in my boot.
Old 18-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I had an old P6 ltd that one day just died (something electrical) swapped everything I could think of to get the bastard started. After a couple of months of trying to get it started I bit the bullet and got it towed to an auto elec. After its rolled off the tow truck, the auto elec jumps in turns the key and bam she fires!!!!

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
deadlywill
Starter Motor

Nice to know it's not just me lol
Old 18-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had an intermittent steering vibration in my old BA, took it to a mechanic I know, he drove it around for 30 mins and nothing, took it to him on the weekend and it did it and he directed me to an auto trans place, one guy there droved it around for about 30 mins and nothing, another guy there drove it for 15 mins after him and nothing, then I drove around for about 30 mins around the block close to the place and nothing, then as soon as I was close to home it started doing it - problem? Front caliper sticking.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

19 year old me in the 1980 VC Commodore four SL we owned at the time (stop laughing you ******...), and it had a towbar wired up with those rediculous and unreliable crimp-on wiring "connectors". Now and then, all the taillights would fail, only to come back on when you hit a bump. I eventually soldered everything up properly, but it gave me a fun moment one night.
I was driving out of the main street, and noticed a cop car following me. I took turns left and right, heading back home, and the cop still followed. Eventually he put on his lights and I pulled over, shut off the lights, turned off the car, and got out. I said "Yes officer, was I doing something wrong?", and he casually said "Nothing to worry about, I just wanted to let you know your taillights weren't working...I could see your headlights were on, but only your number plate light works at the rear".
I'd honestly forgotten all about the on-again off again wiring issue, and said really?, and he stood behind the car and asked me to turn the lights on. I leaned in, turned the switch, and they all lit up.
The young cop stood there, stunned, staring at the lights. He hesitated, and then said "But...they weren't on...none of them worked...your headlights were on but taillights weren't..."
I then remembered and put the poor bugger out of his misery, telling him about the intermittent problem. He hesitated again, and said "OK...erm...just get it looked at...", and he drove off quickly...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Cleaned out the shed and threw out the spare Idle Air Controller I had. Few weeks later got a new car which started to idle really low, IAC wasn't kicking in. Was thinking i'll just fit the spare one, then realised it had been tossed.

I'd had the thing in the shed for at least 5 years and within weeks of throwing it out I needed it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
deadlywill
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Cleaned out the shed and threw out the spare Idle Air Controller I had. Few weeks later got a new car which started to idle really low, IAC wasn't kicking in. Was thinking i'll just fit the spare one, then realised it had been tossed.

I'd had the thing in the shed for at least 5 years and within weeks of throwing it out I needed it.
Ha! That reminds me... the Dyson vacuum cleaner came with this long skinny nozzle that i never used for months so i ditched it and not a week later I up-ended the maccas fries between the side of the seat and the centre console and i'll be buggered but you cant get them out without a long skinny nozzle....
Old 19-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Never throw anything remotely useful away because, GUARENTEED!,, within weeks of binning whatever it is, you'll have occasion to need use of it. It's always the way.
My shed is full of crap that my missus keeps telling me to get rid of but I just know the moment I do a clean out I'm going to need that obscure piece of trim or that odd sized bolt that's been gathering dust on a shelf since who knows when.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
74-351-XB

My indicators on the rodeo werent working for two days (ie: no lights, no noise, no nothing) and when I finally got to the mechanic he flicked the stalk and the indicators came on
74-351-XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

The amount of effort you put into cleaning, washing & waxing your car determines how soon it rains & how soon a bird craps on it.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Funny you should say that. Yesterday I washed the Fairlane then parked it up and went inside, 5 minutes later I had to get something out of the consol and went outside to find muddy paw prints diagonally across the bonnet from the passenger side headlight to the drivers side mirror.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
The amount of effort you put into cleaning, washing & waxing your car determines how soon it rains & how soon a bird craps on it.
During times of drought the government should pay me to visit drought effected areas to wash my car, because it will gaurantee the drought will be broken within 48 hours.

Without fail the last 8 or 9 times I have washed my car it has rained within a day or 2. I'm mother natures biatche.
Old 19-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once waited for a clear sunny day to detail my car as soon as i buffered the whole thing walked inside then drip drop :/
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
During times of drought the government should pay me to visit drought effected areas to wash my car, because it will gaurantee the drought will be broken within 48 hours.

Without fail the last 8 or 9 times I have washed my car it has rained within a day or 2. I'm mother natures biatche.
That's happened to me the last 2 times I washed my bus. NOT happy.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #20
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are more so cases of irony than Murphy's law.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #21
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
basically the same thing arent they?

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #22
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylby1
basically the same thing arent they?
Without hijacking the thread. I think if, something isn't working & you go to show someone that they don't work, and they do. That's some what ironic.

If I scaled a fence post while intoxicated, and tried to walk the railing - Murphy's Law would dictate - anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
Autolite

[QUOTE=Bossxr8]During times of drought the government should pay me to visit drought effected areas to wash my car, because it will gaurantee the drought will be broken within 48 hours.

It rains almost every time I wash my car, EXCEPT for the time I planted new grass seeds and actually wanted it to rain.....
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

In my old house, dropping toast buttered side own, was a regular occurrence.
As was pens being left on the floor opened, the cat getting muddy and walking through the house, food being stuck to the floor (yes.... my housemates were to blame for that one).
As soon as we moved into a slate floored house BAM my toast stays on the plate/bench/side of the couch....
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Starting to think this applies to my brother..

Driving my burnout car without damage for months. He hops in and pushes the rear quarter up into the boot. Then at the Kandos burnout comp. I do my burnout no probs. He has his go in the car and blows the top radiator hose which then covers the air filter in coolant, fills the dizzy with coolant, melted 2 power steering lines on the extractors and needed to be towed off.

I drove the family honda cr-v for years without any real issues. Gerry drove it down the street for a feed and came back walking. Stuffed the ignition barrel which then took nearly 6 months to be told by the locksmith he cant fix it so dodges it up by taking a few pins out. Only just got the car going a few weeks ago.

We have driven mums XG falcon ute without any problem for a few months. Since Gerry has been using it to get to work the ute has had the brake lights keep blowing fuses (fixed now as the previous owner done a dodgey job on the trailer plug install), blinker relay died, stereo wiring short out and melt nearly setting the car on fire and stuffed a water pump. Almost never ending.

And the icing on the cake is in the EF Ghia I gave him. For 2 years I have only ever been pulled up for speeding, random breath tests and once for neg driving without any questions being asked about modifications.. Since he has had the car he has been defected twice in it.

LOL must just be bad luck with cars.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #26
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare

Since he has had the car he has been defected twice in it.
Attitude towards the officer could play a huge part in that..,

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
Starting to think this applies to my brother..

Driving my burnout car without damage for months. He hops in and pushes the rear quarter up into the boot. Then at the Kandos burnout comp. I do my burnout no probs. He has his go in the car and blows the top radiator hose which then covers the air filter in coolant, fills the dizzy with coolant, melted 2 power steering lines on the extractors and needed to be towed off.

I drove the family honda cr-v for years without any real issues. Gerry drove it down the street for a feed and came back walking. Stuffed the ignition barrel which then took nearly 6 months to be told by the locksmith he cant fix it so dodges it up by taking a few pins out. Only just got the car going a few weeks ago.

We have driven mums XG falcon ute without any problem for a few months. Since Gerry has been using it to get to work the ute has had the brake lights keep blowing fuses (fixed now as the previous owner done a dodgey job on the trailer plug install), blinker relay died, stereo wiring short out and melt nearly setting the car on fire and stuffed a water pump. Almost never ending.

And the icing on the cake is in the EF Ghia I gave him. For 2 years I have only ever been pulled up for speeding, random breath tests and once for neg driving without any questions being asked about modifications.. Since he has had the car he has been defected twice in it.

LOL must just be bad luck with cars.
I'd keep him away from my car, he seems cursed.
Old 22-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #28
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylby1
Attitude towards the officer could play a huge part in that..,
I would agree 99% of the time but also P plates and a target on p plater cars in the upper hunter makes him a sitting duck. They have even mentioned it in the local paper they are targeting younger drivers. He works night shift so being in town to get fuel late at night for the 75km trip home when there isnt much happening and police patrols are out doesnt help either.

Want to know what the fine was for the second defect. "Unsure if vehicle complies to standards" even though it cleared the last defect how it is. Bit of a weird and to be honest aggrevating situation.

Quote:
I'd keep him away from my car, he seems cursed.
Lol Just unlucky I think.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
brendo83

Quote:
No I'd say for the most part they are more so cases of Murphy's law, I don't think you understand irony, or Murphy's law

Quote:
Without hijacking the thread. I think if, something isn't working & you go to show someone that they don't work, and they do. That's some what ironic.

If I scaled a fence post while intoxicated, and tried to walk the railing - Murphy's Law would dictate - anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
If I took my car to a mechanic because my wipers were not working and they started working when I got there, that is Murphys law. Because I need the wipers to be not working for the mechanic to diagnose the fault, so the fact that the wipers are now working is something thats 'gone wrong' in this scenario and the worst possible time for them to start working again is when the mechanic looks at them.

Irony is when the action has an effect which is opposite to the intention of that action, which does not occur in the above scenario.

An ironic example would be if my windscreen wipers weren't working and I tried to fix them myself to save money, and in doing so I broke an expensive part, because by fixing them myself I was trying to save money, but the result acutally cost me money.

Now if you scaled a fence, tried to walk the railing, then fall off and hurt yourself because you were ****ed, its not really Murphies Law, its just you doing something stupid. Now if your shoelace happened to be become untied and got stuck in the railing causing you to fall, that would be Murphys Law, as the only reason you fell was because your shoelace was untied, had it come untied a minute before or after it would not have been a problem.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #30
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Bought a second hand car, got it comprehensively insured. But denied the offer of the windscreen warranty. left work that day and bam a big chip in the windscreen.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post